• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Ok, I caught up on the history. Rep if you're only replacing your media drive, all you need to do is move your boot sector to your SSD, and make the SSD Active. From your image on Twitter, your media drive is currently a system drive. You can use bootsec.exe to do this. I'll get the syntax in a sec.

Fredescu

The tricky part is probably going to be locating bootsect.exe in the first place. Have you created any system recovery USB drives or anything? It's probably on that.

Once you've got it, run this from a command prompt:

bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr

Then you can make C: the active partition from diskpart. At a command prompt, type

diskpart

and press enter, which will show you the diskpart prompt. Type:

List vol

This will show your volumes. Note which volume number C is. Then select it using:

select volume 1

1 is an example, you want to use the number that your C drive is. Then type

active

And press enter. Then select your media drive M using the number you found in the list above, for example:

select volume 2

and then type:

inactive

And you're done. You can type exit to exit diskpart. Check your disk management and C: should show up as system and active rather than M

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Engagement parties are the most depressing thing.

There's nothing like it that just solidifies your position as a single individual who will probably never find someone who loves you in that way.

It was a nice party for the couple, god awful for me!

There is a Telstra outage at work (I volunteer) and since we have thin clients I can't even print out calendars to mail out for next month. Maybe I'll need to come in on a day off to do it now.....

Rep, before you did all that dramatic af restoring windows stuff you did check boot priority didn't you? It should be checking SSD first. It sounds like there is a boot record on the HDD and the SSD, or there is ONLY a boot record on the old HDD. Are you 100% sure the OS is on the SSD?

Also check step 4 on this one:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/#Fix_4_Use_diskpart

Yeah went through the boot stuff first, tries to boot from the SSD but part of the OS flag is on the old HDD as it's marked as 'system'. If I can get that 'system' flag and data off the old HDD and onto the SSD it would mean I can boot with just the SSD installed.

That diskpart thing at command line level is what I've been looking for but it only does things that I was already able to do from inside Win10 as Cod brought up yesterday. diskpart changes drives to active but I still can't find anywhere to change it to system. I've Googled around a lot too and the resolved issues tend to all be 'start from scratch'. Which is fine but it all seems like there should be an easy way to repair the OS install on the one SSD rather than throw all the bathwater out.

EDIT: Also as said previously Startup Repair refuses to fix the issue.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeah went through the boot stuff first, tries to boot from the SSD but part of the OS flag is on the old HDD as it's marked as 'system'. If I can get that 'system' flag and data off the old HDD and onto the SSD it would mean I can boot with just the SSD installed.

That diskpart thing at command line level is what I've been looking for but it only does things that I was already able to do from inside Win10 as Cod brought up yesterday. diskpart changes drives to active but I still can't find anywhere to change it to system. I've Googled around a lot too and the resolved issues tend to all be 'start from scratch'. Which is fine but it all seems like there should be an easy way to repair the OS install on the one SSD rather than throw all the bathwater out.

Something like Gparted should work for making the system / partition active. I use it when I need to make the windows partition seen by a mac with bootcamp (when bootcamp does dumb things).

You can do a fair few things under Gparted as well. Trash partitions and all sorts of fun stuffs.

Whoops missed the new page lol, I'll try that stuff too thanks guys!

Something like Gparted should work for making the system / partition active. I use it when I need to make the windows partition seen by a mac with bootcamp (when bootcamp does dumb things).

You can do a fair few things under Gparted as well. Trash partitions and all sorts of fun stuffs.

Sweet, I'll download that right now!

Rep, if you're having trouble with the System and Active partitions being on the wrong disk still, here's what you should do:

• Take all the SSDs/HDDs out
  • Connect only the new disk
  • Install Windows to the new disk (boot from the DVD)
  • Boot to Windows on the new disk to make sure it works
  • Shut down and connect the SSD on which Windows was previously installed
  • Boot back into Windows
  • Copy everything from the SSD to the new disk
  • Shut down and take out the new disk
  • Reboot, install Windows to the SSD (boot from the DVD, format the disk)
  • Shut down, put in the new disk, reboot
  • Format the new disk
Yes it's a bunch of faffing about, but you've already spent a couple of days on it.

I'm so glad that my PC hasn't given me any trouble since last year

About a year ago my PC blew up and blue smoke and that telltale smell of catastrophic electronics failure came from my power supply, computer completely dead. So started researching a new one hoping nothing else was dead and for some reason a couple of days later I decided to try the PC again and it worked and has worked flawlessly ever since. Not questioning it.

Shaneus

I'm so glad that my PC hasn't given me any trouble since last year
Mine hasn't given me any hassles for... fuck, I can't remember when the 2500K came out, but it was around then. Only big problem was with a PSU which was easily solved. Upgraded the RAM (8-16GB) and GPU (5970+5850 to R9 280X) but that's basically it.

Oh, and various storage migrations too.

jambo

So...if I'm going to be getting a Surface Pro 4 next week I guess I can get back into PC gaming, suggestions folks?

You picked a great time to buy a Surface Pro 4, Microsoft currently have 15% off the entire range, including the type covers!

Dryk

Mine hasn't given me any hassles for... fuck, I can't remember when the 2500K came out, but it was around then. Only big problem was with a PSU which was easily solved. Upgraded the RAM (8-16GB) and GPU (5970+5850 to R9 280X) but that's basically it.

Oh, and various storage migrations too.
Occasionally mine while throw a fit for various reasons that I have to sort out. Clogged fans, worn out heat paste, etc. Last year I had to tinker with it for about a week because my drives kept randomly dropping out. Turned out that a bunch of my Sata/power cables were shot

jambo

Which probably means the SP5 is just around the corner ><

I did some googling about that and apparently there have been some manufacturing delays which will cause the SP5 and SBook 2 to get pushed back to 2017.

Could be bollocks, but hopefully it's true. MS did a similar discount earlier in the year so I think it's just to move some extra units.

It downloads a file, like a small file. But i want to actually save the video to my computer for future watching.

Here is the link:

ffmpeg -i "https://secure.brightcove.com/services/mobile/streaming/index/rendition.m3u8?assetId=4921455441001&expiration=1466487300000&token=407fd703d7ffa0917bcdd939dfd543602a475657" -c copy The_Chase_Australia__Wed_1_Jun__season_3_episode_15.ts

Download ffmpeg: https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Open command prompt and run that command.

It'll download a .ts file in your home directory.

Open and run it with VLC.

Follow my steps from earlier except use this command instead:

Code:
ffmpeg -i "https://secure.brightcove.com/services/mobile/streaming/index/rendition.m3u8?assetId=4921455441001&expiration=1466487300000&token=407fd703d7ffa0917bcdd939dfd543602a475657" -c copy The_Chase_Australia__Wed_1_Jun__season_3_episode_15.ts

The difference being that the forum added a space to the URL in the token= part. It'll work now. :)

dity

I'm actually kinda looking forward to July 2 now. I love me some cheap sausage sandwich. Google's app should provide prices per polling place.

I'm flying to Austin in July with work - i sense an amazon.com free for all purchase on graphics cards, tech, stuff coming...

as others has said, You'll probably be charged state and local sales tax buying from Amazon (so up to 8ish percent)

If you buy from Newegg, they're based in Oregon which has no sales tax and that's where most clued-up yanks buy computer gear from.

Darren870

Follow my steps from earlier except use this command instead:

Code:

The difference being that the forum added a space to the URL in the token= part. It'll work now. :)

Hmm same issues :(

Darrens-MacBook-Air:SnowLeopard_Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_02.05.2016 darrenfrickel$ ./ffmpeg -i "https://secure.brightcove.com/services/mobile/streaming/index/rendition.m3u8?assetId=4921455441001&expiration=1466487300000&token=407fd703d7ffa0917bcdd939dfd543602a475657" -c copy The_Chase_Australia__Wed_1_Jun__season_3_episode_15.ts
ffmpeg version 3.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with llvm-gcc 4.2.1 (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
configuration: --prefix=/Volumes/Ramdisk/sw --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-version3 --enable-libspeex --enable-libvpx --disable-decoder=libvpx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-avfilter --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-filters --enable-libgsm --enable-libvidstab --enable-libx265 --disable-doc --arch=x86_64 --enable-runtime-cpudetect
libavutil 55. 17.103 / 55. 17.103
libavcodec 57. 24.102 / 57. 24.102
libavformat 57. 25.100 / 57. 25.100
libavdevice 57. 0.101 / 57. 0.101
libavfilter 6. 31.100 / 6. 31.100
libswscale 4. 0.100 / 4. 0.100
libswresample 2. 0.101 / 2. 0.101
libpostproc 54. 0.100 / 54. 0.100
https protocol not found, recompile FFmpeg with openssl, gnutls,
or securetransport enabled.
https://secure.brightcove.com/servi...ken=407fd703d7ffa0917bcdd939dfd543602a475657: Protocol not found
Darrens-MacBook-Air:SnowLeopard_Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_02.05.2016 darrenfrickel$

KrisB

Meanwhile my girlfriend has the SP3, which has those overheating problems. D:

Oh damn I'll have to watch out for that. My SP3 is kicking along nicely still.
Only had the odd bug where it can't pickup the keyboard which is an easy fix.

I'm going to China for 3 weeks. Does anyone have a good VPN they'd recommend using over there? I need internet over there so I need something that won't get blocked.

Do you vote Book or Pro 4? It's time I dived in finally.

What's your use case? They're similar in many ways, but the Book has a physical keyboard, one of the best ever featured on any laptop, better battery life and a 940m GPU (roughly 2x as good as the skylake integrated on the CPU). It trades its form factor for this. While the clipboard top does detach, it's more difficult to use independently because it lacks a kickstand. You can attach it back to front on the keyboard base to get a stand of sorts, but it's not nearly as convenient. It's also a slower process to need to hold the detatch button and then pull it off than it is to simply rip the keyboard off in a nanosecond on the Pro range.

I generally say the Pro is a better buy if you don't need the GPU power. The keyboard on the Pro 4 especially is still quite good considering what it is, noticably better than crappy windows laptop kbs. The Book is damn nice hardware, it's what I'm currently running, but if they just added a kick stand to the clipboard it would be goddamn perfect imo.

Edit: Oh and the other advantage on the Book is the fantastic trackpad, in the same league as MBPs. The SP4 is good but smaller, so it's not quite as nice to use but still highly functional.

Uses are:
  • Heaps of Skype chats with video, audio and a ton of typing
  • Visual Studio, more typing
  • Tons of browsing and web/emulation testing
  • Lots of email, more typing (a fair amount of calendar stuff)
  • Remote connections to servers, a lot
  • MS SQL
  • Small bits of word/excel
  • Some Photoshop, not much advanced editing more just cropping, colour corrections, exports, batch processing, layering. Not using a stylus to draw or anything like that
  • Meetings/flights and note taking
  • Watching movies.

Gazunta

Ozzy in that case I'd suggest getting a Book IF you can afford it. It's a pricey piece of kit but that keyboard and form factor is just luscious.

I'll be getting a Pro because 80% of its use case will be drawing in Manga Studio and Photoshop, and that kickstand is super nice. It's also lighter than the book and portability is important to me right now.

SB will be more comfortable for lots of typing, although the Pro is more comfortable on plane flights esp for watching movies with kickstand etc. You can just put the keyboard in your bag and prop it up on its side, it's great for that kind of thing.

Are you in Syd? You could try them in the MS store, or probably a JB or something.

Gazunta

They're on display in JB stores around Brisbane too. Most of them have gotten used to me coming in, drawing something on the screen, sighing wistfully and then sulking away.

Buying one on Saturday CAN NOT FUCKING WAAAAIT

Jintor

i'm gonna ask a dumb question i could easily google but don't really want to

Tories are the right wing party generally speaking, right?

also what the fuck are whigs?

i'm gonna ask a dumb question i could easily google but don't really want to

Tories are the right wing party generally speaking, right?

also what the fuck are whigs?

Kind of a bit hard to explain in an Australian context, think a bit more liberal than the Tories, very anti-authority (monarchy, dominant president etc...) and less free market more protectionists. Long gone, not sure what the equivalent would be in Australia, Nick Xenophon?

Quasar

So with androidPay about to supposedly start in Oz I finally got around to enabling NABs own pay by phone system. Pretty smooth, but if I'm honest I'm not finding it any easier than using my debitbcard with paypass. I guess its a bit more secure as my phone needs to be unlcked and I can enable an additional pin.

Not terribly fancy though.

So with androidPay about to supposedly start in Oz I finally got around to enabling NABs own pay by phone system. Pretty smooth, but if I'm honest I'm not finding it any easier than us g my debitbcard with paypass. I guess its a bit more secure as my phone needs to be unlcked and I can enable an additional pin.

Not terribly fancy though.
Paypass is so damn easy, can't believe the Yanks don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom