• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a garage sale yesterday, quite the experience. Like a plague of locusts descending fighting each other for the best stuff!

Also, 3 separate people showed up armed only with $100 notes! Can't remember the last time I saw one.

yeah garage sales are crazy. you say on the flyer youre gonna be open at 7:30, they show up at 6:30 asking for shit. go away you cockroaches

yeah garage sales are crazy. you say on the flyer youre gonna be open at 7:30, they show up at 6:30 asking for shit. go away you cockroaches

We said 8 till 3 on the ads and mentioned a few things. Went out at 7 to start setting out some additional stuff in front of the garage and the record collectors were there at about 7.05am! Probably should have said only till 12 or 1, it was completely dead after that point. Maybe 30+ people at the peak.

r1chard

I think I've made a terrible mistake - I just pre-ordered No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian. Through PSN. What the hell was I thinking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Election next weekend. Make sure to vote One Nation!!! *cuts*

r1chard

Yeah, the game will preload, but over my ADSL - and from the crappy Sony content servers - there's no guarantee I'll be playing the game at launch (thought apparently the preload happens a few days before, so at least *most* of them games will have downloaded by launch).

Went out to Bloodhound bar yesterday in Brisbane. Not only was the $25 for 1kg of wings and a paddle of beer great value, but somehow we managed to turn the 3 games sitting in the Metallica pinball machine when we arrived into 15 (!) games, setting all of the top 5 scores.

Shaneus

So fucking happy, Geelong is finally getting it's first barcade (and only other proper arcade, other than Timezone) in Ms. Bartronica, sister to Melbourne CBD's Bartronica. Pretty fucking stoked about it!

Gazunta

#teamchunkysteak

In other news I bought a heap of Quake games last night and man did I love me some Quake games back in the day. But Quake 2 doesn't run at all :(

Fredescu

If you eat frozen pies, you should try Mrs Macs "Oven Fresh" pies. They're unbaked, so the pasty looks like this before you cook them:

_O5A5207.JPG

They're pretty great. I liked the steak cheese and bacon ones in particular.

Jintor

Is there any places I can look at to educate myself on policies and shit for the coming election?

can't think of a single big source. there's a few notes floating around about the senate parties depending on state (I wrote up a note on facebook, eflag has a post in auspolgaf about... I forget which state. SA?).

the biggest changes have to do with the new rules about the way your vote exhausts when preferencing.

To simplify, if you vote above the line (for parties) you need to put down at least 6 for your vote to be valid. if you vote below the line you need at least 12. You no longer have to put a number in every box; if your vote gets down to your last choice and that choice is eliminated, your vote 'exhausts' and basically stops counting.

House of Reps you still need to number every box, but there's only like 6 of them or whatever

Shaneus

Whoa that's awesome! Will have to stop in once it's up and running.
Yeah, I'm hoping they do a decent job and stay open at least a while. Guessing the Melbourne Bartronica is doing well enough that they can do this!

It's situated right near a Games Workshop and another store called Gifts for the Geek, and is right next to some Deakin residences, so that should keep it going.

Can't believe there's been no other arcade here for so damn long. And the only other one is a TZ that is 80% redemption machines :/

Hopefully will be able to get my friend to supply some of the pinball machines, so at least we'll be able to play some good ones there!

Gazunta

Give this a look.

That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Man, I wish there were decent arcades here in Brisbane. We got...a couple of Timezones I think. I really want somewhere local I can pop into during lunch and play some games and maybe get a drink or a feed.

There used to be these great tabletop MAME cabinets in the Wickham in the Valley, that was a great little place to go during lunch.

That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Man, I wish there were decent arcades here in Brisbane. We got...a couple of Timezones I think. I really want somewhere local I can pop into during lunch and play some games and maybe get a drink or a feed.

There used to be these great tabletop MAME cabinets in the Wickham in the Valley, that was a great little place to go during lunch.

They have 4 pinball machines at Saccharomyces Beer Cafe at South Bank: http://saccharomyces-beercafe-hpqi.squarespace.com/#goodbeercentral

But yeah... not much going on in Brisbane.

Fredescu

A bunch of people in here got Steam Controllers and Steam Link a while back. Would you still recommend them? I'm thinking I might get them while they're on sale at Amazon.

tinders

Hey AusGAF.
I'm looking to sell my N64, GBA, Gamecube & Wii collections over the next few months, and I'm struggling to determine valuations.

I have 127 games total, and a mate is looking to take 52 of them off my hands as a bundle if the price is right.

Anyone know of any sites or groups that can help me get some figures?

Darren870

Hey AusGAF.
I'm looking to sell my N64, GBA, Gamecube & Wii collections over the next few months, and I'm struggling to determine valuations.

I have 127 games total, and a mate is looking to take 52 of them off my hands as a bundle if the price is right.

As someone who has sold loads of games in the past. Its better to sell them individually if you want the money. You will get a lot more in terms of price.

If you don't want to sell individually, then its probably best to look at the value of each game and minus 20-30% off the total.

You can get prices of games via completed auctions on ebay.

Otherwise, you can look up comparable lots on ebay/gumtree etc. The only problem with this is if you have a game worth a lot of money you wont get full value. I've seen people sell $500-1000+ games for like $100 because someone found a lot with it in it.

Chances are you don't have that on those systems, but you might have a game thats worth $50-100. Especially Nintendo.

I might be interested in the N64 stuff if you want to get rid of it?

A bunch of people in here got Steam Controllers and Steam Link a while back. Would you still recommend them? I'm thinking I might get them while they're on sale at Amazon.
Depends on your intended use and tolerance for tinkering.

I use my Steam Link all the damned time, and it's a great little device. It does do dumb things occasionally, and like with Steam updates can break it. You can use a USB stick to roll back to a better-performing version if you need to. Mine runs over a wireless bridge (minimum of 300Mbps connection, usually closer to 800Mbps) and it works great, never misses a beat.

As for the Steam Controller? I love mine, and have used it almost exclusively since buying it in November. But, it's a harder device to recommend - when you start a game there's almost always a period of tinkering (you can set it to pretty much behave as a gamepad if you want and it works well that way). I didn't find it comfortable at first (I have reasonably small hands), but after shifting how I hold the controller and some adjustment time, I find it extremely comfortable, usable, and now using a 360 controller isn't as nice.

Sometimes the combination of both does weird things, or don't work as expected. For instance, with Rocket League I need to start the game, then turn on the Steam Controller (it's something the developers have acknowledged and will not fix - it's to do with how they handle controllers). Some times the controller isn't picked up at all in-game and you need to restart the game, or the Steam Link, or the Steam Controller, or the remote PC, or some combination of all of those in the right order.

I've had a few games that just. won't. work. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit wouldn't work with the Steam Controller no matter what I did (added to Steam, added Origin to Steam, try various settings, etc, etc). Anything you launch outside of Steam you may have trouble with. But then, I played through The Witcher 3 on GOG without issue.

When it all works together, it's a brilliant combination (pick up Steam Controller, turn it on, select the remote PC, it's send a WOL command, jump into any game and play it). I just finished The Witcher with the Steam Link/Controller on the couch and the game felt perfect as a comfy couch game.

tl;dr: It's PC-gaming in a nutshell. Can be frustrating but when everything's firing it's incredible.

dity

Steam Controller is great. I imported one ages ago and for the instances where I want to play something like a point and click on the couch, it's a dream come true. I don't use it all the time, but I'm super glad I have it when I need it.

I should add that the amount of customisation you can do with the Steam Controller is mind boggling. Every button can be mapped to anything, of course. But you can have toggles that, when held, change the mapping of all the other buttons. Or touch screen menus to map 15 buttons to one touch pad. Or the mapping of a button change when you press it (e.g. from stand to kneel to crouch etc), or have hold turn to turbo for that button. And dual stage trigger. And gyro. And custom startup/shutdown sounds.

It's pretty great if you're prepared to tinker.

Oh! That's only a five minute walk from work. I might pay them a visit tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up!
You should get a chocolate milk stout.

Yo Gaz - and anyone else that is pencil-competent (or think they are competent, like me) - what program do you use for drawing?

Clip Studio Paint is having one of their stupid sales and you can pick up Clip Studio Paint Pro for US$20 (about AUD$28). It's the program that was popularized under the name of Manga Studio. A fantastic program that arguably better than Photoshop for drawing. So may great time saving tools and functions and for the price probably better than any bargain you'll find in the Steam Sales. Tools for setting panels for comic strips, automatic pen drawing as vector lines, perspective tools, symmetry drawing, reference layers, the list goes on and on.

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.clipstudio.net/en. The sale is only going for the next ~23 hours, so grab it now!

If anyone is interested but on the fence, here is a good youtube video that goes through the amazing features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRZ4ytSkIQ&feature=youtu.be

radaxian

Hey AusGAF.

There are some reasonable Facebook groups around too, one for the Newcastle NSW area has a pretty active selling/trading community and a few resellers buy bulk lots on there all the time. I've sold hundreds of PS2 games that way. N64 games get snapped up quick I've found, the rest varies a lot, GBA can be tough unless they're Aus versions because the market is absolutely flooded with fake carts (eBay is full of them).

I have a rule of thumb like any game that goes for say $15-20 is worth selling individually but just lump the rest in lots according to console. I never sell on eBay via auctions - always use buy it now but that's just me (setting equivalent starting price can of course achieve the same result).

As others have said, maximise return by selling individually but you might lose interest in doing this just to make an extra $100 with all the stuffing around.

Gazunta

I thought you worked in games Gaz :/

I've been working in the games industry for 20 years now and trying to escape the games industry for...about 19 years, 11 months and 3 weeks ><

Yo Gaz - and anyone else that is pencil-competent (or think they are competent, like me) - what program do you use for drawing?

Clip Studio Paint is having one of their stupid sales and you can pick up Clip Studio Paint Pro for US$20 (about AUD$28). It's the program that was popularized under the name of Manga Studio. A fantastic program that arguably better than Photoshop for drawing. So may great time saving tools and functions and for the price probably better than any bargain you'll find in the Steam Sales. Tools for setting panels for comic strips, automatic pen drawing as vector lines, perspective tools, symmetry drawing, reference layers, the list goes on and on.

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.clipstudio.net/en. The sale is only going for the next ~23 hours, so grab it now!

If anyone is interested but on the fence, here is a good youtube video that goes through the amazing features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRZ4ytSkIQ&feature=youtu.be

I use Manga Studio 5 EX (AKA Clip Studio 5 EX) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a far better drawing program than Photoshop, the features are designed for drawing and saving you time, and man for only $28 you would be totally mad to pass up the regular version. Seriously, it completely helped me take my drawing to the next level. I still use Photoshop for doing things like lettering but there's no way I'd go back to Photoshop for drawing, it feels laggy and unresponsive in comparison.

So uh yeah I like it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom