• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I've only known an Australia with its current gun laws, and have done 0 research into it either, but I keep seeing Australia mentioned as an example for heavily changing your gun ownership laws. Was Australia at one point really that similar to the USA where everyone and their dog could get their hands on one? I presume were talking about hunting rifles and no handguns or semi automatic machine-guns right?
In my 4 years that I've been here I've only heard people talk about gun ownership once and he was a farmer who said he needed it to protect the cattle. I live in suburbia which would play a substantial role in this.
Are people wanting looser gun laws located in rural NT/WA etc?

Short answer is no. States all had their own laws, with some states tighter than others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

Wikipedia has a general history.

Quasar

Yeah. I thought I saw $420 for one before which I thought was insane for a us$200 card.

319 is great given a straight conversion plus gst is 295 or so.

Yeah. I thought I saw $420 for one before which I thought was insane for a us$200 card.

319 is great given a straight conversion plus gst is 295 or so.

420 would be a bit of a shit price since the R9 390, also 8gb, is about the same price on PCCG. Some listings on PCCG for the 480 are 450 which is not great. 379 is good though. Benches are putting stock 480 on par with stock 390 from what I've seen.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but for anyone trying to make heads or tails of the senate voting ballot this weekend:

www.donkeyvotie.org

It's pretty funny, but also legitimately helpful to have all of the links there. It's important to know that the Health Australia Party are anti-vaxxers, etc. With so many bloody options in the Senate it's legitimately possible that people might accidentally vote for parties whose policies they might find abhorrent.

I can easily see people mistakenly thinking that the Health Australia Party are all about retaining Medicare, or mistakenly thinking that the Sustainable Australia Party are all about renewable energy rather than racism. Unfortunately racists generally tend not to run as the Australian Racism Party.

Jintor

These guys are massive conspiracy theorists who follow the very strange views of an obscure American politician called Lyndon LaRouche. This is Grade-A, industrial strength crazy: they believe that the Queen directs every drug cartel on the planet and that there is a conspiracy around the proper tuning of pianos. They are also anti-semites.

Lmao. Goddamn CEC.

If you're in this thread you probably already know, but please be reminded that the Australian Liberty Alliance are a bunch of goddamn fascist anti-islam right-wing lunatics just like half the parties on the ballot

dity

Not sure if this has already been posted, but for anyone trying to make heads or tails of the senate voting ballot this weekend:

www.donkeyvotie.org

It's pretty funny, but also legitimately helpful to have all of the links there. It's important to know that the Health Australia Party are anti-vaxxers, etc. With so many bloody options in the Senate it's legitimately possible that people might accidentally vote for parties whose policies they might find abhorrent.

I can easily see people mistakenly thinking that the Health Australia Party are all about retaining Medicare, or mistakenly thinking that the Sustainable Australia Party are all about renewable energy rather than racism. Unfortunately racists generally tend not to run as the Australian Racism Party.

God dang the summaries are hilarious.

Gazunta

Looks like that Donkie Vote page is busted?

Last day of the JB Hi Fi sales of Surface Pros and Books. Get to it folks :)

Oh yes I got Quake 2 running, thanks for your help!! :)

Not sure how well Quake 2 ages

Damn, that's cheap. Wonder how it compares to my 280X? Guessing it's not massive.

Also, not sure why people are keen to get the 8GB. Isn't it not powerful enough to run anything at resolutions that'd justify that much video RAM?

It's equivalent to the 290/390. If you have a 280x you will see a boost and get more vram but unless the upgrade is cheap, don't bother.

Darren870

No idea! Just add to the collection of unplayed games like all the other consoles lol

Could have had a nice weekend away or two with $300! Would have been better then something you wont use.

Quake 1 is still the best Quake. Least some of my fondest memories. Its games like that got me into FPS video games.

Gazunta

lol what was he protecting them from?

hamburglar.gif

hamchan

www.donkeyvotie.org

I'm so conflicted about the Science/Cyclists party. I love science and would vote for them but I don't want more of these bloody cyclists on the road in front of my car.

Dmax3901

So I directed my female coworker to that ABC vote compass thing cause she claimed she's uneducated and doesn't know who to vote for.

This was a terrible idea.

jambo

Anyone else get an SMS from Optus today regarding their EPL order?

It was free for me so I figured I may as well, but the SMS today had a link that just never loads, either on mobile or PC.

r1chard

I'm so conflicted about the Science/Cyclists party. I love science and would vote for them but I don't want more of these bloody cyclists on the road in front of my car.
LOL, the cyclists don't want to be in front of your car either, that's why you should vote for 'em! :)

*cough* old page, didn't see Jintor's response, sorry.

As someone who bought a bike suitable for road-riding early this year and has ridden on busy roads, let me just say it's terrifying.

First, bike lanes are at the edge of the road, which is often not well-kept, and has numerous bumps and potholes. Second, often they double as car parking areas, so you have to constantly swerve in and out of traffic. Third, many bike lanes are not well thought-out: often they just end with no warning, or in the case of one near me, cars just drive in the lane because it's more convenient for an upcoming intersection. Finally, drivers are just so damned aggressive to cyclists.

Forget about the 1m clearance law, I've been close enough to reach out and tap cars if I wanted many times; I've averted accidents multiple times only because I could predict a driver was going to do something dumb (which they inevitably do); when riding past parked cars I have to ride out far enough that if a door opens I can dodge it; I've had people honk at me for no reason, tailgate me, rush past and slam on the breaks all because I'm on a bike. You're so damned exposed on a bike that if a car taps you, forget about it, you're in the hospital. How about a dedicated bike path? Well, pedestrians always take up the whole path, and they're often not well maintained so they're slower to use than the road.

Sorry, rant over. Cycling infrastructure is shit in my area and even where they've made an attempt at it, it's been poorly thought-out and probably planned by people who don't ride. I kind of wish everyone was forced to ride in traffic for an hour to see just how scary it really is.

Gazunta

Seems to be working now, thanks Endless

Today I went and played Pinball at that Saccharomyces place recommended a page or two ago, they had three pinball tables, two weird looking guys who were WAY into pinball and a nice blackcurrent drink that cost like $4 but was fantastic. Pinball is fun.

Stackboy

I hope you all enjoy the way your Xbox 1 collects dust as much as I do.

Forza Horizon 2 and Halo 5 are both great games on Xbone. New patch today for Halo 5 brought in Firefight mode. Can't wait to play that.

Quake 2 is one of my faves. I remember downloading bots from the internet at the library and coming home to install them, so I could actually play Quake 2 MP. It was the late 90s and we had no internet at home.

Rizzi

We now enter day seven of CEX having terrible online customer service.
I am so sick of dealing with these idiots at this point, I don't even care if I get my money any more.

MoonGred

I only just discovered that if I'm sick during my vacation I can take those days as sick leave instead of annual leave.

Unrelated today I got told "make sure this complaint is looked after asap, it's election weekend!". Something about it made me feel sick.

Darren870

Yea, I ride my bike everyday to and from work in Melbourne. You have to be constantly alert and even then I take the long way to try and always try to stick to a bike path.

What pisses me off is the amount of people that I see on their phones just literally looking down into their laps. Sorry girls but 8/10 its a fucking women and all she is doing is scrolling through facebook. They drift into the bike lane all the time.

Oh and drivers that park in clearway zones which are also a bike lane. Sydney Road is clearway 4-6. Constant idiots parking there. Everyday without fail.

Looks like that Donkie Vote page is busted?

Last day of the JB Hi Fi sales of Surface Pros and Books. Get to it folks :)

Ordered on the JB website today with pickup in a local store. Apparently that can take up to 48 hours for new accounts, I don't really order online from JB for anything so I registered. Ugh, that's a hell of a term and condition to tuck away after the order and payment are complete with Pick Up In Store.

I'll pick up my Pro 4 512Mb tomorrow or Sat, saves a trip in the rain tonight.

As someone who bought a bike suitable for road-riding early this year and has ridden on busy roads, let me just say it's terrifying.

First, bike lanes are at the edge of the road, which is often not well-kept, and has numerous bumps and potholes. Second, often they double as car parking areas, so you have to constantly swerve in and out of traffic. Third, many bike lanes are not well thought-out: often they just end with no warning, or in the case of one near me, cars just drive in the lane because it's more convenient for an upcoming intersection. Finally, drivers are just so damned aggressive to cyclists.

Forget about the 1m clearance law, I've been close enough to reach out and tap cars if I wanted many times; I've averted accidents multiple times only because I could predict a driver was going to do something dumb (which they inevitably do); when riding past parked cars I have to ride out far enough that if a door opens I can dodge it; I've had people honk at me for no reason, tailgate me, rush past and slam on the breaks all because I'm on a bike. You're so damned exposed on a bike that if a car taps you, forget about it, you're in the hospital. How about a dedicated bike path? Well, pedestrians always take up the whole path, and they're often not well maintained so they're slower to use than the road.

Sorry, rant over. Cycling infrastructure is shit in my area and even where they've made an attempt at it, it's been poorly thought-out and probably planned by people who don't ride. I kind of wish everyone was forced to ride in traffic for an hour to see just how scary it really is.

You couldn't make me ride around a big city like Sydney and I'm someone with 3 separate bikes for three separate purposes who rides almost every day. Canberra is usually alright, lots of dedicated bike paths and the local government have shoe-horned lanes into a lot of the main roads but there are still places I'll avoid. Only been hit twice and doored once.

Lemme tell you it's real scary. When I used to ride I'd always opt for the foot path if I could. Not sure why most people don't do that.
If you're riding at a decent speed (say 20km/h+), a footpath is no good.

You have to constantly check for vehicles coming from driveways, slow down at intersections, and dodge pedestrians.

The road is most suitable (or decent dedicated bike paths, but it's amazing how often pedestrians use them as footpaths), despite the dangers.

I was in Canberra a couple of weeks back, the centre of the city looked great for cycling.

r1chard

Years of commuting by bicycle in Melbourne have taught me well to never trust drivers. Assume they're out to kill you, basically, because (usually through inattention) that's what they'll do if you don't.

One piece of invaluable advice I was given very early on - if you don't make eye contact with a driver potentially coming at you, assume they have no idea you're there. Taught that to my daughter before she went on a road for the first time. Within the first couple of weeks, sure enough, a car pulls from a side street right in front of her. She'd slowed down to avoid being collected, because she'd noticed the driver just didn't even look.

Bring on the fucking driverless cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom