• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzi

God I fucking hate Windows 10.
Set my C drive to read only with no way of changing it back? 'k
Refuse to let me change my power plan from balanced? 'k

Such a shit OS.

Finally signed up for a NBN connection. Now lets see if the install date slips and how much congestion I run into.

I'm pretty on the fence myself. On the one hand, my current connection isn't bad and it is pretty stable most of the time. On the other hand, two of us using it at the same time isn't a great experience, so NBN would be great. But I've heard from a lot of friends with it that it goes down a fair bit and the speed bump is negligible with FTTN.

Quasar

I'm pretty on the fence myself. On the one hand, my current connection isn't bad and it is pretty stable most of the time. On the other hand, two of us using it at the same time isn't a great experience, so NBN would be great. But I've heard from a lot of friends with it that it goes down a fair bit and the speed bump is negligible with FTTN.

I'm in a fttp zone, but still I've been unsure given the artificial bandwidth scarcity nbnco employs. Hopefully I dont see much congestion. It is why I went with a contract free plan. If it totally sucks well I can just cancel and revert to stone age networking. At least till they disable the copper next year.

Finding people who even offer 50/20 was enough of a chore. Mostly it was either 25/5 (a bit slow - esp on tne uploads) or 100/40 (more than I need and if there is congestion I'm paying for speed I cannot get).

Such a shit OS.

I had a ton of issues with it last week, thankfully AusGAF came to my aid and saved this fair maiden!

In regards to the C drive issue, have you tried checking in Disk Management? Go to This PC in File Explorer, select Computer -> Manage option then click on Disk Management once the Computer Management opens. There you can see how the drives are allocated and can format/etc in there.

Bernbaum

Because of Sammy J's playground politics, I felt compelled to watch Masterchef on free to air TV through an antenna thing connected to the television and everything was commercials and vomit. How do people tolerate this shit?

jambo

Such a shit OS.

How would Windows even work if the whole C Drive was read-only?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Windows 10 is being dramatic for me since last week. Suddenly slowed down massively on boot up, and now I'm trying to reformat and it just hangs at the purple screen when you boot into usb. I can't win.

Stackboy

Because of Sammy J's playground politics, I felt compelled to watch Masterchef on free to air TV through an antenna thing connected to the television and everything was commercials and vomit. How do people tolerate this shit?

For the first time in a few years we got our antenna hooked up. We just watch Rage on the weekends, Eurovision when it was on and the Aria awards to have a good laugh at what's really popular in Australian music.

Good to hear that competitive patch for Overwatch is dropping today!

Booked an Airbnb for our accom for PAX Aus this year. Really nice place at half the price of hotel accommodation. Anyone else used Airbnb much? This is our first time.

Yeah the girlfriend and I travelled down the coast to see family and it's bizarre seeing how they live on the other side. Broadcast TV is atrocious. The same political attack ad four times in one ad-break and nobody bats an eye. What a strange world.

Booked an Airbnb for our accom for PAX Aus this year. Really nice place at half the price of hotel accommodation. Anyone else used Airbnb much? This is our first time.

Ooh, that's a good idea. Had been flirting with the idea myself but for the last two years in a row I've not been able to make PAX Aus and had to sell my tickets :( So I'm not tempting fate this time.

Ok fuck the S, I think I'm jumping in.

Was about to do so as well, until I remembered that I should be able to have access to notable Xbox exclusives on my PC which I already don't get a whole lot of use out of.

Shaneus

Fiancee and I tolerate FTA by only watching the ABC and SBS channels. Other than sporadic instances of catching good Futurama and Simpsons episodes on One (or 7mate or whatever) we just stick with Netflix.

Ok fuck the S, I think I'm jumping in.
Jesus, that's cheap. But I can't just buy a console because it's cheap, especially when all the games save for a handful will be coming out on PC as well.

Quasar

Windows 10 is being dramatic for me since last week. Suddenly slowed down massively on boot up, and now I'm trying to reformat and it just hangs at the purple screen when you boot into usb. I can't win.

So glad that like every other version/update of windows its been a painless improvement for me. Not sure why I'm so lucky given its frankenstein hardware.

Quasar

After a few weeks, FttP is meh. You will want something more. I've had 100/40 for over a year and the novelty has worn off.

Well I'm not sure actually having some upload capability for once will fade into novelty, nor sharing a connection.

That's the main thing for me. Currently uploading any substantial amount of data is just a nightmare, and basically only one person can do anything like downloading or streaming at a time. You'd think 10 megabits would be enough for that, but it isn't.

Of course I expect even 25 down would be enough. Shame I can't just get a 25/25 connection.

Darren870

Thats the only way I watch TV.... Actually enjoy it and its much better the Free To Air TV in the States. UK is debatable.. programing is good but the stupid TV License.

I rent out my spare rooms on AirBNB. As long as you just go with someone with good reviews, write up and pictures you will always be fine.

Rizzi

Blerfhfhj. Been waiting for CEX to actually pay me for the old gpu I sold them.
Get an email this morning;
We've been informed by one of our Departments that the payment for your order xxxxx has bounced due to incorrect bank account details.

So I double check the details they have, and nope they're correct. Be nice if they had a phone number I could call, but I guess they don't believe in phones or something.

Blerfhfhj. Been waiting for CEX to actually pay me for the old gpu I sold them.
Get an email this morning;

So I double check the details they have, and nope they're correct. Be nice if they had a phone number I could call, but I guess they don't believe in phones or something.

Complain about it on Facebook/Twitter etc. you'll get a reply quick smart.

Rizzi

Yeah, I have. They sent me another email telling me that they'll attempt to retry the payment once they hear back from the relevant department.
Never selling anything to them online again though.

Fredescu

Xbone bought. I will buy all those future games on PC, but it's cheap enough for me to just play the games that are already out.

MoonGred

You may as well buy "Inside" on your One, so far its the reason for me dusting it off this year.
Sunset OD is worth a play through as well!

Cerity

It's probably the highschool acquaintances I have on FB but lately I'm seeing a shitload more 'But muh guns!' political shit on there. From dudes talking about how little harm guns do to people wanting less strict gun laws. I mean come on.

Also a lot of hilarious campaigning by Pauline Hanson trying to call out the other parties on the most inane shit.

MoonGred

I've only known an Australia with its current gun laws, and have done 0 research into it either, but I keep seeing Australia mentioned as an example for heavily changing your gun ownership laws. Was Australia at one point really that similar to the USA where everyone and their dog could get their hands on one? I presume were talking about hunting rifles and no handguns or semi automatic machine-guns right?
In my 4 years that I've been here I've only heard people talk about gun ownership once and he was a farmer who said he needed it to protect the cattle. I live in suburbia which would play a substantial role in this.
Are people wanting looser gun laws located in rural NT/WA etc?

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I've only known an Australia with its current gun laws, and have done 0 research into it either, but I keep seeing Australia mentioned as an example for heavily changing your gun ownership laws. Was Australia at one point really that similar to the USA where everyone and their dog could get their hands on one? I presume were talking about hunting rifles and no handguns or semi automatic machine-guns right?
In my 4 years that I've been here I've only heard people talk about gun ownership once and he was a farmer who said he needed it to protect the cattle. I live in suburbia which would play a substantial role in this.
Are people wanting looser gun laws located in rural NT/WA etc?

After the Port Arthur massacre in the 90s they tightened gun ownership laws. I remember my dad used to have a shotgun when I was a little kid but never knew why he gave it up until recently.

It's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom