• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Got the hint that most drivers are dangerous as fuck when I was a kid and used to bike everywhere. Had heaps of close calls with people being absent minded but we had a group of bogans in a commodore actively try to run us down. Really haven't ridden after that and that was probably 15 years ago.

I'd love to bike everywhere again but seeing the shit both drivers and cyclists end up getting into I've never thought it's worth it. Thinking on it I might pick trail riding or something though.

jambo

Since October last year it's been legal to ride on the footpath in SA.

You also have to give cyclists 1m clearance on roads and 1.5m clearance when going over 60km/h.

When doing so it is now legal to cross over in to the incoming lane, even over a solid line.

Jintor

living in japan bikes are so goddamn convenient. if i'm not going like further than three villages over i'm basically always on my bike. I'm really sad I'm going to go home and even getting to the station which is a 15-min walk away will be a massive hassle on a bike just because of stuff like mandatory helmets/no real bike parking/even in my quiet suburbs cars will probably just run me over

dity

If you're riding at a decent speed (say 20km/h+), a footpath is no good.

You have to constantly check for vehicles coming from driveways, slow down at intersections, and dodge pedestrians.

The road is most suitable (or decent dedicated bike paths, but it's amazing how often pedestrians use them as footpaths), despite the dangers.

I was in Canberra a couple of weeks back, the centre of the city looked great for cycling.

Well, I guess those are things to consider, but I'm in an area where more people drive than walk so the sidewalks are always barren. It's like, safe bike zone.

r1chard

Well, I guess those are things to consider, but I'm in an area where more people drive than walk so the sidewalks are always barren. It's like, safe bike zone.
My cousin lost a bunch of his front teeth when he was a teenager riding his bike on the footpath and a car pulled out...

Gazunta

$39 for Doom at Target tomorrow.

Is Bethesda or the local distributor trying to bolster sales figures? Fallout 4 was also on $29 clearance.

Bethesda distribute their own stuff in Australia now. They used to outsource it to another company in the Gold Coast but now run everything from Sydney. (I think the physical goods are still carried through the Gold Coast distribution point, but not sure).

Anyway. The fun thing about sales is ... they're already paid for. See when you buy a game for $89, the distributor puts aside some of that money for sales. Eventually when that sum reaches a certain point (usually the point where the game has made a required level of profit for everyone), the distributor puts down the price so they can sell more copies.

Effectively the distributor makes the exact same amount of money from a game that's on sale or a game that's full price.

So really when you see a popular game going on sale, it's not because it's not doing well. It's on sale because it's selling great and it's already hit its targets. Money made from sales is effectively all profit.

Games retail math is awesome!

bomma_man

Like eating meat, getting angry at cyclists on the road is something I know is wrong and counter productive but my lizard brain just overwhelms me.

I don't know how to ride a bike

Quasar

living in japan bikes are so goddamn convenient. if i'm not going like further than three villages over i'm basically always on my bike. I'm really sad I'm going to go home and even getting to the station which is a 15-min walk away will be a massive hassle on a bike just because of stuff like mandatory helmets/no real bike parking/even in my quiet suburbs cars will probably just run me over

Certainly would be nice if governments here did more to encourage cycling. Not that I find helmets a hassle.

Jintor

the helmets aren't a hassle, it's the storing them somewhere when you've parked your bike cos you're going to work or the shops or whatever

Deeku

did you ever use one of those sick automated bike parking things? or do they not have them in fishing villages? lol

Bernbaum

Bethesda distribute their own stuff in Australia now. They used to outsource it to another company in the Gold Coast but now run everything from Sydney. (I think the physical goods are still carried through the Gold Coast distribution point, but not sure).

Anyway. The fun thing about sales is ... they're already paid for. See when you buy a game for $89, the distributor puts aside some of that money for sales. Eventually when that sum reaches a certain point (usually the point where the game has made a required level of profit for everyone), the distributor puts down the price so they can sell more copies.

Effectively the distributor makes the exact same amount of money from a game that's on sale or a game that's full price.

So really when you see a popular game going on sale, it's not because it's not doing well. It's on sale because it's selling great and it's already hit its targets. Money made from sales is effectively all profit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

I remember distributors having to give store credits on less sold through titles or overstocked stores by their own sales people on top titles. If I recall correctly it was even highlighted per title on their order sheets back in the day. I suppose they build those costs into the initial marketing push.

r1chard

Awwww yisssss
CmPLRYLUoAAV-Xz.jpg

Ah very interesting. Makes sense in the case of Fallout 4 without a doubt.

Maybe Battleborn going cheap soon after launch isn't bad news after all lol

Stackboy

Bring on the fucking driverless cars.

I can't wait until everyone on the road is in a driverless car because we are all terrible at driving.

I get to see Custard again in September!!

Will listen to that Avalanches album this weekend, thanks to my 2 years of free Apple music from Telstra that I never use. Spotify is just more convenient.

Jintor

did you ever use one of those sick automated bike parking things? or do they not have them in fishing villages? lol

way too rural up here in the mountains

i wish we were a fishing village. i miss the sea (even though in australia I lived roughly the same amount of time inland. lol)

MoonGred

Urgh, our builder stuffed up our bathroom and forgot to build a shelf into the shower wall, they can rectify it but it would mean that they'd need to rip the entire bathroom out again, make the adjustment and put it back together.
Is my concern about increased odds of having issues down the line founded or am I worrying for nothing?

So I just picked up my Surface Pro 4 and it's hung signing me in with an MS account. Just the loading circle undere my MS avatar icon and name...it's been like that for 1.5 hours.

Hard reboot time I think. So I held down the power button and then "slide down to power down" and it just goes back to the name login screen with the loading circle. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. Hmmmm.

Any suggestions?

Edit: did the hold power button and slide again...back to normal.

Yeah, that's really sad. Things like that shouldn't happen and until it can be proven that the tech is solid, we can't just rely on it.

Indeed very sad, especially that last paragraph. I agree a long road is ahead before it's widely accepted and proven but auto-pilot etc shouldn't be held to some insane utopian standard that even humans can't achieve.

You can't trust humans/drivers either. Drunks, drugged, bad decisions, texting, doing makeup, angry, emotional, eating etc. Plenty of avoidable or poor choice accidents and road deaths occur even when human drivers are supposedly in control.

I'm very curious why the driver of this auto-pilot car didn't take control and avoid the collision? Unavoidable? Bad decision making? Bad perspective/lighting as described in the link article?

Yeah I'm curious why the driver didn't do anything either. An article I read elsewhere suggested he was watching a movie (which Tesla said isn't possible in their cars), which seems a bit of a silly thing to do.

r1chard

Yeah I'm curious why the driver didn't do anything either. An article I read elsewhere suggested he was watching a movie (which Tesla said isn't possible in their cars), which seems a bit of a silly thing to do.

And actually against Tesla's terms of use of the auto-pilot if I understand correctly. I don't have a reference to back that up though (I just saw it mentioned in an ad a few days ago.)

dity

Tomorrow I'm gonna get my sizzle on.

My cousin lost a bunch of his front teeth when he was a teenager riding his bike on the footpath and a car pulled out...
And you can get hit by a car on the road. Cars scary when you bikin, man. No matter where ya are.

Rizzi

Tomorrow I'm gonna get my sizzle on.

And you can get hit by a car on the road. Cars scary when you bikin, man. No matter where ya are.

Cars are scary forever. I got hit by a car when I was standing on the footpath waiting to cross the street a few years ago.

r1chard

Lost the pedal off my bike once to a driver opening their door of their parked car on me as I went past (bike lane next to car parking on St Kilda Rd). The pedal had my foot in it at the time (old school pedal cage) so was glad all that happened was I lost the pedal, fell off the bike and didn't do serious injury to my foot/leg.

Fucking driverspeople with absolutely no concept of the world outside of their own little universe. Probably was a Baby Boomer too.

Wifey, before she was with me, got hit by a 4x4 when she had right of way for the pedestrian crossing with the green man. She has a clicky hip still to this day but at least nothing inhibiting her at all. We're probably helicopter parents with our young kids in that respect but cars rarely give second chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom