• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they have a family reunion to attend and decided to stay?

My mum has a skin condition that causes her to get burned to a crisp and develop cancers at the drop of a hat, so they first migrated to the Snowy Mountains, then later to Tasmania. It wasn't until years down the line they discovered that Tas has a horrific UV index so it was actually terrible for her, but by then she'd already had me and my sister and didn't want to pack up and move again.

It's dead.

If you really want to try. Put it into an external case if you have one. You can try running getdataback to see if it finds the drive and pull data that way.

Otherwise, $$$$

Dang, thanks Cookie. Tried Recurva & Getdataback/Wondershare but no dice at it won't pick it up as a drive despite now being able to see it in Disk Management to a certain degree. Oh well.

dfgdfg87sop.png

N0VAM0D

so how 'bout that election

Tuesday sure will be interesting to watch! I didn't get a sausage sanga because I didn't have any cash on me, genuinely upset that I didn't prepare in advance ;(

so how 'bout that election

Tuesday sure will be interesting to watch! I didn't get a sausage sanga because I didn't have any cash on me, genuinely upset that I didn't prepare in advance ;(

theres a fair chance you will have another opportunity for a democracy sausage quite soon

Cerity

Dang, thanks Cookie. Tried Recurva & Getdataback/Wondershare but no dice at it won't pick it up as a drive despite now being able to see it in Disk Management to a certain degree. Oh well.

dfgdfg87sop.png

If it's really important shit hit up DataRetriever, we've used them for work a couple times. Definitely one of the cheaper places in aus.

dfgdfg87png

hey that happened to me, it was fine and then it was like that
im still counting on being able to pull the 5tb from it though.
otherwise i will be toooooo sad.

If it's really important shit hit up DataRetriever, we've used them for work a couple times. Definitely one of the cheaper places in aus.

Craig is an awesome dude you should definitely pay DataRetriever if you're going to pay someone. He will quote up front before commencing work.

Ooh, how do you figure? (Genuinely asking, I try v hard to understand politics but I'm not amaaaazing at it)

Once all the postal votes are counted e'll probably end up with a government with a slender majority (possibly with the support some independents for supply issues (ie budgets)). But if the numbers are too finely balanced and the government can't get its bills through the house of reps we might end up with a another election again soon.

When we usually have a Federal Election, its the House of Reps (lower House, 3 year terms) and half the senate (usually staggered 6 year terms). When a government can't get the same bill through the senate after multiple attempts, it becomes a trigger for a double dissolution (as we just had) which is basically a House of Reps and full Senate election. After the DD, and assuming the present government is returned, there will be a joint sitting of both Houses to try and break the deadlock. Based on how the numbers in the new Senate are likely to stack, there's a real chance of another election soon. We haven't this happen in a very long time (1974 and 1975).

We did of course have a minority government between 2010 and 2013 and we were basically on an election footing for the entire length of that parliament. That was fun.

My mum has a skin condition that causes her to get burned to a crisp and develop cancers at the drop of a hat, so they first migrated to the Snowy Mountains, then later to Tasmania. It wasn't until years down the line they discovered that Tas has a horrific UV index so it was actually terrible for her, but by then she'd already had me and my sister and didn't want to pack up and move again.

You had to ruin my perfectly good joke didn't you.

Hopefully the UV index is still better then Queenslands?

Shaneus

Hey any pointers in trying to get data from a failed HDD? It's a laptop HDD, when connected up it will eventually start flashing a blue light continually. Doesn't show up in Disk Management.
Also, make sure it's getting enough power. It's possible it couldn't be if it's hooked up via USB. Connect it directly to the computer's SATA/power cables and give it another crack. Don't do this while the PC is powered on though, obv.

senahorse

You had to ruin my perfectly good joke didn't you.

Hopefully the UV index is still better then Queenslands?

Tas is pretty much the worst place in the world for UV, the hole in the ozone layer is right above them.

edit: correction, hole is not directly over them, it's just very thin in that area comparitively

Quasar

As I said I'd be trying spinrite, assuming the drive can be seen by your bios.

Did anyone else think it was annoying that two Liberal names were on the vote forms? I feel like names that can be easily confused shouldn't be allowed. Won't someone think of the plebs? :)

So I did the tick your name off and not cast a vote this year, I dislike all of them. Although I nearly did vote for the Australian Sex Party (I've had business dealings with Fiona and she's savvy and determined AF) but I couldn't stop laughing at some of the other names on there. Who the fuck names their party The Science/Cyclists Party. WTF.

A hung parliament or independents having veto style powers = worse than the shit government we end up with. Probably the worst outcome for us all if that happens.

Quasar

A hung parliament or independents having veto style powers = worse than the shit government we end up with. Probably the worst outcome for us all if that happens.

Whilst I'd consider that better. Having a wider consensus than just one party seems better to me. Of course you do need people in government who aren't just bullies there though so you can build a consensus.Which is why the next parliament is doomed.

Rlan

Their attempt to solve it this time was to at least put the logos on the form, so you can be a bit more obvious with the Libreral Nations and the Liberal Democrats.

Jintor

without a veto power for the indies there's barely any point to even having third parties. may as well be gridlocked america at that point

Shaneus

Whilst I'd consider that better. Having a wider consensus than just one party seems better to me. Of course you do need people in government who aren't just bullies there though so you can build a consensus.Which is why the next parliament is doomed.
Unless somehow there's a re-election. But I guess the closest thing we'll get to that is a DD after the Libs form a minority government. And said DD probably couldn't be more than a few months away, given how much every bill will be fought.

Quasar

Unless somehow there's a re-election. But I guess the closest thing we'll get to that is a DD after the Libs form a minority government. And said DD probably couldn't be more than a few months away, given how much every bill will be fought.

Certainly the previous bully tactics of the past LNP government won't work when they try it again.

They need to learn or remember how operate constructively. Even Gillard managed that, getting lots of legislation passed despite being a minority government.

Yeah is not that important, I've let the owner of the laptop know though thanks!

Also, make sure it's getting enough power. It's possible it couldn't be if it's hooked up via USB. Connect it directly to the computer's SATA/power cables and give it another crack. Don't do this while the PC is powered on though, obv.
Yeah all good power is fine, tried both SATA and USB. Didn't like it through SATA though as it sounds like he borked it half way through a Win10 installation as the laptop lost power when it automatically updated without him knowing. By the time he noticed it was updating he was too far from home to go plug it in before it died!

As I said I'd be trying spinrite, assuming the drive can be seen by your bios.
Tried but no dice oddly enough :(

Did anyone else think it was annoying that two Liberal names were on the vote forms? I feel like names that can be easily confused shouldn't be allowed. Won't someone think of the plebs? :)

So I did the tick your name off and not cast a vote this year, I dislike all of them. Although I nearly did vote for the Australian Sex Party (I've had business dealings with Fiona and she's savvy and determined AF) but I couldn't stop laughing at some of the other names on there. Who the fuck names their party The Science/Cyclists Party. WTF.

Yeah the Liberals hate it's allowed, I definitely feel they lose votes because of it and it should be changed.

By not voting you can't really complain about a hung/blocked parliament. Every vote counts in the end!

The more and more I look in to making the jump to FTTN, the more I'm discouraged by what I find.
  • Plans are still unnecessarily expensive, at least with iiNet, and only option being calls included and 25Mbps or 100Mbps is pisspoor
  • speeds probably won't be much of a bump from my current 6Mbps and even if I did know down to the meter how close I was that's no guarantee of real world speed
  • the invasive process and restricted options for installing the NBN box thing
  • Downtime, even irregular, is just unacceptable
I'm probably being dramatic and should just bite the bullet, but there just doesn't seem to be much here for me. How easy is it to change ISPs by the way? Not very tempted, because I have my Gaf account email registered with them. Should I just stick with my stable, although unremarkable 6Mbps?

The more and more I look in to making the jump to FTTN, the more I'm discouraged by what I find.
  • Plans are still unnecessarily expensive, at least with iiNet, and only option being calls included and 25Mbps or 100Mbps is pisspoor
  • speeds probably won't be much of a bump from my current 6Mbps and even if I did know down to the meter how close I was that's no guarantee of real world speed
I'm probably being dramatic and should just bite the bullet, but there just doesn't seem to be much here for me. How easy is it to change ISPs by the way? Not very tempted, because I have my Gaf account email registered with them. Should I just stick with my stable, although unremarkable 6Mbps?
I'm no expert, but as I understand it FTTN is particularly useful if you currently live a considerable distance from an exchange. If you already live near an exchange then FTTN is less of an upgrade over ADSL2+. Given you only get 6 Mbps I'm guessing you're a reasonable distance from an exchange.

If high speed cable internet is available in your area then it's probably still a better option than FTTN unless your upstream bandwidth is important.

dity

Their attempt to solve it this time was to at least put the logos on the form, so you can be a bit more obvious with the Libreral Nations and the Liberal Democrats.
The logos on the voting paper made it like I was voting for brands lmao.

Quasar

Well the speed thing on FTTN is really dependent on where you are in relation to the node.

As for prices, well thats purely down to what ISPs have to pay to connect to the NBN. Which is 18$ per megabit of connection.

Though I'm in a FTTH area, I finally pulled the pin. I'd have to move anyway within a year as copper would be disconnected then so I figured I'd switch.

At 6mbps I'd be switching. Couldn't be any worse. I find my current 10 pretty terrible.

Not very tempted, because I have my Gaf account email registered with them. Should I just stick with my stable, although unremarkable 6Mbps?

You can PM a mod to get your registered email changed to a Gmail or whatever account once you are an established member btw, not sure if that's noted anywhere.

Quasar

You can PM a mod to get your registered email changed to a Gmail or whatever account once you are an established member btw, not sure if that's noted anywhere.

Didn't know that. Guess I'll have to do that before I disable my existing dsl based account as I'm changing isps.

How much does cash converters usually give for like a dvd or video game (xbox 360)

when i worked as a buyer at a CC a long time ago ("hey, you're selling your Saturn to buy a Dreamcast?") we were trained to buy for a maximum of 1/3 of the current new price. For DVD's today, I'd expect a buck or two at best. You might be lucky but go in with realistic expectations. And it also depends on what their stock situation is like- if they have a stack on unsold DVDs or games of a certain tight they might pass an making you an offer. Again, this was a long time ago and every store is different. You could also try CEX as well.

I had the same issue and TDM sorted it out. I assume he did because I'm still here.

Darren870

when i worked as a buyer at a CC a long time ago ("hey, you're selling your Saturn to buy a Dreamcast?") we were trained to buy for a maximum of 1/3 of the current new price. For DVD's today, I'd expect ad every store is different. You could also try CEX as well. buck or two at best. You might be lucky but go in with realistic expectations. And it also depends on what their stock situation is like- if they have a stack on unsold DVDs or games of a certain tight they might pass an making you an offer. Again, this was a long time ago an

I had the same issue and TDM sorted it out. I assume he did because I'm still here.

Ahhh cheers! I might try CEX since the CC I pass is flooded with DVDs. I'll ask next time I am in that area though.

I've got stuff on ebay that isn't moving at $1. So better to sell it for cash as ebay and paypal will kill me with fees anyways.

senahorse

Ahhh cheers! I might try CEX since the CC I pass is flooded with DVDs. I'll ask next time I am in that area though.

I've got stuff on ebay that isn't moving at $1. So better to sell it for cash as ebay and paypal will kill me with fees anyways.

Let me know how you go, I have hundreds upon hundreds of DVDs, Blu-Rays and games I would love to get rid of, sick of all this physical media taking up space. I was watching a few DVD collections on Ebay but they just don't seem to sell.

MoonGred

My shitty home wireless can't cope with my steam link which is what I expected, this should be fixed when we move, that said the only complaint about the thing so far is that I wish it would auto adjust the game resolution to 1080p, instead of using my native 21:9 res.

Fredescu

What kind of wireless? My Steam Link just arrived this morning. It will probably force me to get off my arse and run some cabling through my house.

MoonGred

What kind of wireless? My Steam Link just arrived this morning. It will probably force me to get off my arse and run some cabling through my house.

I'm still using the router that our ISP gave us, it's garbage tier and struggles with basic wifi connectivity.
Recently picked up a Netgear AC3200 which I haven't bothered setting up because we're moving in the next 3 weeks so that should improve it a little, the house is wired so I'll most likely plug it in anyway.

The steam controller was interesting though, I only played around with it for 30 min and had some mixed results but I'm keen to customize it some more.

N0VAM0D

Once all the postal votes are counted e'll probably end up with a government with a slender majority (possibly with the support some independents for supply issues (ie budgets)). But if the numbers are too finely balanced and the government can't get its bills through the house of reps we might end up with a another election again soon.

When we usually have a Federal Election, its the House of Reps (lower House, 3 year terms) and half the senate (usually staggered 6 year terms). When a government can't get the same bill through the senate after multiple attempts, it becomes a trigger for a double dissolution (as we just had) which is basically a House of Reps and full Senate election. After the DD, and assuming the present government is returned, there will be a joint sitting of both Houses to try and break the deadlock. Based on how the numbers in the new Senate are likely to stack, there's a real chance of another election soon. We haven't this happen in a very long time (1974 and 1975).

We did of course have a minority government between 2010 and 2013 and we were basically on an election footing for the entire length of that parliament. That was fun.

Goddamn, very interesting. I guess we will just have to keep on playing the waiting game for now.

Anyone else downloaded Pokémon GO? I have a terrible feeling I'm going to get addicted to this. Sort of like when I played Ingress!

Personally I use a Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) bridged to a Netgear EX6200 extender. The PC is attached to the R7000 and the Steam Link to the EX6200, both connected to their respective wireless devices by ethernet cables. It's about 6-7m and two walls between then.

The initial connection was about 300Mbps, I recently enabled the "fast lane" connection on the extender (the extender uses 5G just for the bridge, only serves up 2G) and now it's around 800Mbps. I had no latency issues with either setup.

I found the wireless reception on the Steam Link by itself wasn't very good.

r1chard

AFAICT Steam controller is currently on a 2 month shipping delay thru Amazon - unless someone knows somewhere that has stock?

Fredescu

Thanks cods. My Telstra Gateway Max has 802.11ac support, so I haven't bothered getting a separate access point. I have no idea what wireless bandwidth I get to the pc, but it's enough to max out my cable connection at around 120Mbs.

So I played a game for a few minutes and my son is playing Lego Worlds and... it seems fine? Maybe an action game would be a different story. At the moment I think I'm saved from having to crawl around in my ceiling cavity though. Really looking forward to that controller arriving now.

Richard, I ordered the link and controller at the same time. At that time the controller was out of stock with no eta. It ended up shipping only a couple of days after the link. Hoping it gets here next week.

MoonGred

I wanted to do some more playing around with my Steam controller and link but it will be delayed.
My psu seems to have blown up with the potential of having taken the mobo and cpu with it.
Joys of pc building!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom