• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it just me or does the new Ratchet and Clank seem oddly soul-less? I've been trying to get through it, it's fun and all (though I always through 2 was the best of the PS2 R&C games), but it just feels flat.

MoonGred

is it just me or does the new Ratchet and Clank seem oddly soul-less? I've been trying to get through it, it's fun and all (though I always through 2 was the best of the PS2 R&C games), but it just feels flat.

Its not just you. I had the same problem, there is nothing inherently wrong with the game but something is missing.

Apparently Centrelink told my job service provider that I'm due to start Work for the Dole again even though I finished it just 3 months ago (when there should be a 6 month break). They're going to check with their manager about that. The issue would have arisen because I did work for the dole for longer than the required time last time.

What happened last time was they sent me to work at one place that had only 15 hours a week of work for me that I did for about 3 months, then I was transferred to do the full hours at another place and that went on for about 5 months. Nobody noticed that I had passed the required hours, until I counted that I worked something like 125/150 hours over the required amount.

They brought up working at a particular place, which had abusive staff when I was sent there for three months before, rather than at a vaguely professional workplace. But I think I could make the case and the good workplace I was previously moved to would be able to as well, but it's a bit of uncertainty.

mulac

2 RTXSydney tickets for next year in the bag. Not sure if my wife will be up for coming but its ages away so i have plenty of time to get her interested in Rooster Teeth and KindaFunny...

Building a PC for myself for the first time (I have helped build the family computer a couple of times as well as help out a few friends).

Any tips on helping to keep it under $2500? It is going to be a "gift" from my wife for Christmas so is there a possibility of a price cut on some items like CPU/GPU?

Looking at the new 1070/1080 Nvidia cards would be nice but seeing the local prices makes me think otherwise. If I was t import would there be any issue with power compatibility?

MoonGred

Building a PC for myself for the first time (I have helped build the family computer a couple of times as well as help out a few friends).

Any tips on helping to keep it under $2500? It is going to be a "gift" from my wife for Christmas so is there a possibility of a price cut on some items like CPU/GPU?

Looking at the new 1070/1080 Nvidia cards would be nice but seeing the local prices makes me think otherwise. If I was t import would there be any issue with power compatibility?

There shouldn't be any issues buying a 1070/1080 from amazon, the only downside is if you have to do a warranty claim as you'll have to send the card back to the US - EVGA is an exception to this as they offer global warranty. Last time I checked you do save 100-200AUD on a 1080 which is fairly substantial.
The only thing I wouldn't buy from overseas would be a PSU as it will most likely come with the wrong power adapter.

Does the $2500 include a monitor/keyboard/mouse etc? Regardless you'll get a nice system.

jambo

http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/halfbrick-closes-sydney-studio/0169329

Halfbrick closes Sydney studio

The Fruit Ninja developer has announced it is consolidating its game development to its Brisbane headquarters.

With all their game development teams in Brisbane and the momentum they have with new products in the pipeline, Halfbrick felt that it was time to conclude their attempt at running a satellite studio.

Well that sucks, hope everyone finds work =[

There shouldn't be any issues buying a 1070/1080 from amazon, the only downside is if you have to do a warranty claim as you'll have to send the card back to the US - EVGA is an exception to this as they offer global warranty. Last time I checked you do save 100-200AUD on a 1080 which is fairly substantial.
The only thing I wouldn't buy from overseas would be a PSU as it will most likely come with the wrong power adapter.

Does the $2500 include a monitor/keyboard/mouse etc? Regardless you'll get a nice system.

Keyboard and mouse are ok as I have them - preferably I am wanting to spend closer to $2000 as possible but if $500 is the difference to getting a pc that will last 3-5 years vs. having to update the GPU in 2-3 years I am more then willing to pay that.

Also thanks for the advice regarding imports. Returns were a worry for me as I have had 2 dud cards die on me before so I will definitely look into EVGA or prehpas taking the $200-300 hit to buy local simply for peace of mind and just dump it on a local retailer.

Thanks agin for the advice :)

MoonGred

Keyboard and mouse are ok as I have them - preferably I am wanting to spend closer to $2000 as possible but if $500 is the difference to getting a pc that will last 3-5 years vs. having to update the GPU in 2-3 years I am more then willing to pay that.

Also thanks for the advice regarding imports. Returns were a worry for me as I have had 2 dud cards die on me before so I will definitely look into EVGA or prehpas taking the $200-300 hit to buy local simply for peace of mind and just dump it on a local retailer.

Thanks agin for the advice :)

I was in exactly the same spot as yourself up until last week, the worry of having something break and having to send it back to the US was not worth it for me, the fact the we had more stock in AU made it all the easier.
That said I know that Mutes bought his 980ti from amazon and had 0 issues.

You're budget of $2000 will get you plenty.
With my PSU blowing up last night I may potentially be looking at an entire rebuild. For mobo/memory/cpu I'll most likely be looking at +- $800, add in a locally sourced 1080 and you should come in at just below the $2000

You never "have" to upgrade your GPU in 2-3 years, but even if you buy the beefiest GPU money can buy, you'll be behind the curve in 3 years. There is no computer that can continue to spank every high end game over a 5 year period. However, even a modest GPU will still work functionally ok until the next console generation hits. A 770 from 2013 is still running most games at Console+ settings. Your CPU will age a lot more gracefully than your GPU will, since annual CPU increases have stagnated to put it mildly.

I was in exactly the same spot as yourself up until last week, the worry of having something break and having to send it back to the US was not worth it for me, the fact the we had more stock in AU made it all the easier.
That said I know that Mutes bought his 980ti from amazon and had 0 issues.

You're budget of $2000 will get you plenty.
With my PSU blowing up last night I may potentially be looking at an entire rebuild. For mobo/memory/cpu I'll most likely be looking at +- $800, add in a locally sourced 1080 and you should come in at just below the $2000

Glad to hear the budget won't be an issue. I appreciate your insight thanks again :)

You never "have" to upgrade your GPU in 2-3 years, but even if you buy the beefiest GPU money can buy, you'll be behind the curve in 3 years. There is no computer that can continue to spank every high end game over a 5 year period. However, even a modest GPU will still work functionally ok until the next console generation hits. A 770 from 2013 is still running most games at Console+ settings. Your CPU will age a lot more gracefully than your GPU will, since annual CPU increases have stagnated to put it mildly.

Yeah i know i can't "future proof"and remain ahead of the curve for 5 years but i would rather buy a higher tier GPU now and enjoy high/ultra settings for the next couple of years and then be happy with high settings (possibly some medium settings) as 5 years approach.

Also a good point regarding the annual CPU increases. I expect that even after 3-4 years i would hopefully still have what would be considered relatively high end CPU.

I am also more aware with the GPU to make sure it has enough onboard memory especially since i felt i got burned after building my families last PC just before the PS4/XB1 generation and then all the new games started coming out requiring a GPU with higher then 2GB onboard memory as a minimum and i had bought i believe a 3GB one at the time (i could be wrong and it was a 2GB as 3GB sounds strange to me).

Buy the best GPU all the time, every year and sell the old one. Look down upon everyone.

Will you buy it for me? I am but a poor counsellor :p

Is it that you're older and life has destroyed your soul?

yes, that' it, I'm sure.

This coupled with working in the video game industry probably doesn't help.

Although I played through R&C with my son so that likely skewed things positively as well!

nah, there are three types of people who make games. Those who love games, those who loved games but move onto other hobbies as they get older and those who aren't gamers at all. I'm the first. Ratchet remake is just a bit off.

quarterbrick. Godspeed to those affected.

I'm sure they will, the Australian games industry is thriving

well, parts of it are. doesn't stop them with the begging bowl. parts of it aren't , hence Clive's Austalexit.

I thought they already closed the Brisbane studio? Isn't that why Rlan moved to NZ?

HB Brisbane and Gameloft still kicking around
No, they just got rid of dedicated designers.
Game dev doesn't require designers apparently, they're just superflous in the dev process. they mainly just sit there and copy God of War, Uncharted 2, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Overwatch.

Gazunta

UGH, Game Designers. What a waste of money! Just get everyone else to design the game. I mean all the designer does is come up with ideas, and everyone has ideas, and ideas are cheap! WHAT CAN GO WRONG

MoonGred

Must be a pretty spiffy psu for that kind of money.

Yea it was more than I wanted to spend, but after the debacle of blowing the other one up I really didn't want to get another corsair RM series, it didn't help that there were no 650W psu's in stock anywhere and was forced to go with a 750W.

Quasar

Well that was a great first time NBN experience. Installer just doesnt show up or contact me to the 8am-12 appointment. Call my RSP and I'm to get put back in the queue where they ring to make a new appointment.

Well done Malcolm.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Well that was a great first time NBN experience. Installer just doesnt show up or contact me to the 8am-12 appointment. Call my RSP and I'm to get put back in the queue where they ring to make a new appointment.

Well done Malcolm.

Sounds like getting internet in Australia in general

MoonGred

If only the Microsoft pc store offered keys from 3rd parties. I've been dying to try out Quantum Break but at a sale price of 66.39 AUD it's still too much. At this rate it's going to take ages for it to hit the $30 mark.

Are there any impressions on the GOW remake? I'm in a bit of a lull game wise and wouldn't mind a 3rd person shooter.

If only the Microsoft pc store offered keys from 3rd parties. I've been dying to try out Quantum Break but at a sale price of 66.39 AUD it's still too much. At this rate it's going to take ages for it to hit the $30 mark.

Are there any impressions on the GOW remake? I'm in a bit of a lull game wise and wouldn't mind a 3rd person shooter.

It's alright. its Gears 1 so it really depends on how much you like Gears 1. (X1 versions here)

I liked QB apart from the videos, which I felt detracted from a really good psi ops/force unleashed style powers game. I replayed Alan Wake straigh after and feel like I would prefer to see and AW sequel before a QB sequel. A QB sequel without the FMV would be appreciated in due course.

QB was good but I didn't feel the 75 gigs of vids added anything since the main cast of the game
don't actually appear much in the videos at all, its an uncharismatic cast in a parallel story that after I started skipping, I had felt that I hadn't missed anything in terms of the narrative.

Started Alan WAke American Nightmare on my work PC yesterday. It was $1 on steam last week and it's pretty, pretty good.

MoonGred

Gears 1 is one of those games that I replayed so many times up until a certain point but remember very little of, I do remember a part very early in the game where I believe Marcus yells TROYKA.

I saw a thread today saying they bought QB from the Win10 store but it won't download. Best advice seemed to be "wait a month and see". Win10 store sounds shit.

Gears 1 HD is a mixed bag, looks worse IMO and ran really average on X1 but the PC port of the original game was fantastic so hopefully it cribs from that.

You know what is awesome?

FTTH NBN

I can feel the aura of Kevin07 emanating from the NTD box

Huh, while looking up what exactly a NTD box does, I noticed that you can apply to change your NBN access technology. While I have no idea as to the actual viability of such a program, they have a rough cost breakdown and a subsidy option if multiple people in your street want to participate. I think this is actually pretty neat for people who really need/want a faster connection and can pay for it, going from say FTTN to FTTP.

Yagharek

Huh, while looking up what exactly a NTD box does, I noticed that you can apply to change your NBN access technology. While I have no idea as to the actual viability of such a program, they have a rough cost breakdown and a subsidy option if multiple people in your street want to participate. I think this is actually pretty neat for people who really need/want a faster connection and can pay for it, going from say FTTN to FTTP.

I may have the terminology wrong, but either way we have a house (not a unit/flat) in a suburb where the FTTP rollout was signed off before malcom decided on fraudband.

Quasar

Its not viable, unless I guess you have plenty of cash. As I recall only a handful of cases have gone through and the average cost was over $10k.

http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/Committees/ec_ctte/estimates/add_1516/communications and arts/q144.pdf

r1chard

aF7Nzfl.png

#oioioi

apparently is very faithful to the original according to videogamer

Dimefan3

So I finally got around to seeing Independence Day Resurgence. It was...okay.

If this one does decently at all, it would appear that The Sequel Nobody Asked For is going to be a Trilogy Nobody Asked For.

dity

Though I'll admit its something I'd pay if I was say building my own house. Of course I bet those cases are where the extension was short.
Nah, I bet everyone on the street you're building on would give you a "fuck you, got mine" attitude because the building process annoys them and you'd be stuck with decades old copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom