• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling his company News Ltd really was the smartest move Murdoch ever made. Even just registering the name as a URL automatically gives legitimacy to whatever nonsense he and his editors want to put on there. You're an Australian on the Internet and want to read the news? Head to news.com.au

He's like Lex Luthor.

I like this more than I probably should :)

Too right on visiting news.com.au. ABC news is ok and fuck the age/herald sun with their 30 articles per month BS.

Win10 Edge browser has a nice multi-feed feature for a blank browser tab (I turned it off for loading times though). Also new S7 Edge has the left swipey multi-feed news feature too.

hirokazu

I like this more than I probably should :)

Too right on visiting news.com.au. ABC news is ok and fuck the age/herald sun with their 30 articles per month BS.
I liked SMH/The Age but now all their headlines are clickbaity and doesn't actually give you a good summary of the article. If it weren't for that, I'd consider paying to keep them in business.

hirokazu

I imagine if this was a Star Wars Rebellion v Empire game it would be pretty equally as big.
I doubt a Star Wars game in a similar vein to this or Ingress reach something like this. What would players be acquiring? Droids? Rebels and stormtroopers? Jedi and Sith?

The charm drawing in a lot of casuals is finding Pokémon and trying to catch them. It's not as interesting with other franchises. Case in point: Invizimals, though that probably also died because it was on Vita.

Most people haven't even tried gym battles because there's no attempt to explain how they work in-game.

There'll be copycats, but Pokémon is unique in that it's already a huge franchise beforehand and it's got a large range of likeable creatures, some of which most people are already aware of even if they never played the game.

there's three factions; ingress only had two, right? I think most stuff is red/blue right now but I expect the balance might flip around a bit, hard to tell without live servers here
Team numbers seem to be the same everywhere: Blue => Red >>>>>>>> Yellow. I'm told this was even true during the field trial beta period.

On the FB page for the PokéGo Walk, there was a poll on teams and red and blue are fairly even in numbers while yellow has less than half of as much members.

Z7HeRxU.png

not directly related to that but i'm actually surprised graveyards and certain museums are designated pokestops.

Not sure how they vetted the location creation in the first place. They got a bunch of landmarks etc from Google, then people added others.

If anyone has a spot that is troubling/offensive you can just shoot them a message and they will remove it. Not sure how long that would take though... I'm sure they have their hands full at the moment.

stages of pokedomination (work in progress):

1- surprise hit as free to play pokemon hits
2- massive surprise hit as word or mouth builds
3- massive surprise hit as mainstream media picks up on a massive hit
4- mainstream media coverage drives even more people to try
5- when media exhausts angles on the games success, but still wants the clicks, start on the backlash articles
6-
7-
8-
10- Dozens of mobile developers close because they saw PG's success and aped it with every franchise imaginable, failing miserably.

Win10 Edge browser has a nice multi-feed feature for a blank browser tab (I turned it off for loading times though). Also new S7 Edge has the left swipey multi-feed news feature too.

is it just me or dos it also have a huge mem leak ? had it open the other day and had all 11 gigs swallowed up on a few blank pages

Deeku

I wish I knew how to make apps. I reckon the enterprising peeps who are peddling Pokemon Go maps/guides/whatever would at least get a little free money thrown their way.

Game 3 was half decent.

origin, not GO you nerds

Though I'll admit I wouldn't be too enthused about 300 late night trainers camped out in front my house if I was trying to sleep. Water bombing is going a bit far though.

That was more aimed at the fuckwits and the water bombs.

mulac

Flying to Austin Texas this weekend for 7 days work meetings.

Pro Tip for the 16.5hr flight especially with Qantas over to Dallas for future...eat as little as possible - special meal of fruit platter is the best to survive this beast of a flight.

Looks like the weather over there is +36 degrees...bring out the boardies!

Shaneus

Yo, AusGAF. Doom right now is basically exactly the same price for PS4 and PC (with the GMG sale). I have an R9 280X with a 2500K @ 4.9GHz. With the new Vulkan performance stuff out AND taking potential resale value of the PS4 version into account, should I get the PS4 version or the PC one?

Yo, AusGAF. Doom right now is basically exactly the same price for PS4 and PC (with the GMG sale). I have an R9 280X with a 2500K @ 4.9GHz. With the new Vulkan performance stuff out AND taking potential resale value of the PS4 version into account, should I get the PS4 version or the PC one?

Why would you want to resell such a quality game?

PC

is it just me or dos it also have a huge mem leak ? had it open the other day and had all 11 gigs swallowed up on a few blank pages

Probably explains slowing down when I've had a single session open for hours with hundreds of tabs throughout the day :)

If I'm not using the multi-feed news feature no mem leaks here for me, right now I have 11 tabs open of various sites and only 43Mb mem used with the same initial browser session open since 8.45AM.

KrisB

PC, and I'm a PS4 man.

Pro Tip for the 16.5hr flight especially with Qantas over to Dallas for future...eat as little as possible - special meal of fruit platter is the best to survive this beast of a flight.

Say hi to Bernbaum while you're in Dallas!

How much do you play your PC? It will run best on PC. PS4 version is great.

Just choose the platform you are feeling like sitting in front of at the moment!

Shaneus

How much do you play your PC? It will run best on PC. PS4 version is great.

Just choose the platform you are feeling like sitting in front of at the moment!
They're both plugged into my plasma >_<

Bought on PC then. That way I'll have eternal compatibility. And if it's anything like the original Doom, I'll get more value out of it once the Simpsons mod hits.

Oh noes, I'm installing Pokémon Go for my son and daughter...what am I doing. Good thing we're getting a dog next month, I can look like I'm walking the dog instead :)

At least I'll have leverage for them to clean their rooms for a little while. Muuuahhhhahh.

Quasar

Well. Dipped my toe into Go. Definitely more simplistic than ingress.

Also pretty annoying that its hard/impossible to create new characters/rename characters/change avatars.

Reading the comments on a Guardian AU article about a positive experience with Pokemon GO made me hate the older generation who think all games are for kids, regardless of what they encourage. "Infantile" seems to be their favourite word.

r1chard

Am currently in San Jose for four days ... the MEL - LAX flight is two hours shorter, but fuck it, I will have my two glasses of Shiraz thank you very much, plus dinner, and then chomp down a couple of Sleep-Aid (yay, sleeping pills available without prescription in Australia!!) and snoooooze most of the flight away :)

Shaneus

Hah, I've done that run! Sydney to Dallas was a killer. Can't remember what I did, I think it was a combination of ebook reading, TV shows on the iPad and trying to sleep. I Think Flight of the Conchords was on the in-flight comedy radio channel too, so that ate up some time.

Not sure I follow you on the not eating thing though, pretty sure I was snacking the whole time.

But here is a solid pro-tip for you: Don't try and drive for four hours to Austin if you're coming off an 18 hour flight, if you've never driven on the wrong side of the road before. Still don't know how the fuck I survived.

The wife is at a conference in Brisbane at the beginning of August, thinking of tagging along, anyone got recommendations for good restaurants that don't involve seafood? Also Bars where we can actually sit and have a conversation?

senahorse

The wife is at a conference in Brisbane at the beginning of August, thinking of tagging along, anyone got recommendations for good restaurants that don't involve seafood? Also Bars where we can actually sit and have a conversation?

Sono at Hamilton, fantastic Japanese restaurant, also for something more casual try Taro's Ramen at Ascot, probably the best ramen I have ever had, order the Fire Tonkotsu and thank me later.

Also, bonus tip. If you are actually here late July, go to the noodle markets at South Brisbane (20th-31st July)

Depends on what you guys like to drink. I mainly know about the beer places, but there's decent whisky and cocktail bars around.

Archive in west end. Great food/beer.

Archive is noisy as shit! I wouldn't recommend going there if you want to have a conversation on a weekend. Would fit the bill on a week night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom