• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you guys like to drink. I mainly know about the beer places, but there's decent whisky and cocktail bars around.

Archive is noisy as shit! I wouldn't recommend going there if you want to have a conversation on a weekend. Would fit the bill on a week night.

Good point. Is fine of a week night.

Shaneus

I want that teensy nes. It's adorable!
I do too. Plus, I missed out on basically that entire generation of Nintendo when it was out, hopefully it will try and recapture what I missed.

And fingers crossed it comes with some kickass filters so it looks decent on plasma/LCD TVs too.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The wife is at a conference in Brisbane at the beginning of August, thinking of tagging along, anyone got recommendations for good restaurants that don't involve seafood? Also Bars where we can actually sit and have a conversation?
Bar Alto Restaurant @ the Powerhouse in New Farm.

jambo

Oh that stings a little. Not that it's too high a price, it's that Australia tax strikes again. I can see the controllers disappearing off the shelves though.

A pure exchange rate + tax price would be $86.60, so it's an extra $14.

Pretty decent these days.

$90 system with $15 controllers would be the dream, but what are you going to do?

I do too. Plus, I missed out on basically that entire generation of Nintendo when it was out, hopefully it will try and recapture what I missed.

And fingers crossed it comes with some kickass filters so it looks decent on plasma/LCD TVs too.
I had a Master Sysyem rather than a NES, but I think nostalgia is the main reason to go back to the games of that console generation. If you didn't experience them the first time then I'm not sure you're genuinely missing much. All of the Atari 2600, Apple ][, SMS games I enjoy going back and playing are mostly for reasons of nostalgia. Then again I'm not really a phone/handheld gamer either, so your mileage may vary :)

Exactly what I just preordered from EB Games today. They're taking preorders already and I hope to not miss out. Time to bust out my old Sony Trinitron 68cm CRT for the kids and myself. We're going to enjoy this.
Does it have connectors other than HDMI? If not, a CRT may not be the best option here.

$100 for us, $20 for extra controller.
Also looks like the US one has an AC adapter in the box, whereas in Australia it just has a USB cable, and you have to provide your own power adapter.

Does it have connectors other than HDMI? If not, a CRT may not be the best option here.

Also looks like the US one has an AC adapter in the box, whereas in Australia it just has a USB cable, and you have to provide your own power adapter.

LOL I didn't even stop to think about it. I've got a spare 40" HDMI so I'm covered either way. Thanks for the reminder though mate.

Archive in west end. Great food/beer.

Sono at Hamilton, fantastic Japanese restaurant, also for something more casual try Taro's Ramen at Ascot, probably the best ramen I have ever had, order the Fire Tonkotsu and thank me later.

Depends on what you guys like to drink. I mainly know about the beer places, but there's decent whisky and cocktail bars around.

Bar Alto Restaurant @ the Powerhouse in New Farm.

Thanks for the suggestions, she's bowing out of the organised conference dinner so should have two nights out to try stuff, hopefully try a couple of these.

jambo

Jeez Ankh, way to crush us in Pac-Man

wzAgxN2.png

so who else is looking at getting a 1070 or 1080 ?

thought i saw a EVGA non founders edition (1080) selling for under $900 ie not local but cant seem to find any stock atm

Gazunta

SNES was the best console absolutely.

I have a lot of the games that are in the Mini NES but maybe I can sell those now and just play them o the Mini NES later. It's not like I'm firing up the real NES that often.

Ydahs

Hey guys, any advice on a good NBN package? Moved into Melbourne CBD with my partner and we're looking for something with both decent data and speed at an affordable price.

jambo

Hey guys, any advice on a good NBN package? Moved into Melbourne CBD with my partner and we're looking for something with both decent data and speed at an affordable price.

TPG are pretty great price wise.

Optus and I think telstra both offer bundle discounts if you have a mobile with them.

We just moved to Optus, as we can get double the speed (50/20) and unlimited data for only $5 more a month than Internode, thanks to us having Optus mobiles ($20 discount).

Shitty morning. So skip if you don't want to read an obituary...

Yesterday I found out a former dev colleague and friend, Joel Crabbe, (not a close friend but more than a casual acquaintance) had been found by his wife, collapsed on the floor, and has since passed away in hospital.

He started as a programmer at Halfbrick, where he worked on the GBA versions of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2 and 3, ensconced with other founder members of Halfbrick in the a corner of the King Arthur/ Hellboy room at Krome Studios in Brisbane. He wanted to get a tattoo of every game he worked on so he started with a Ty on his shoulder. He stayed in the building when he joined Krome Studios around 2005/06 and worked on Legend of Spyro A New Beginning, where his stories became legendary (usually involving sharp objects and blackouts), and Viva Pinata: Party Animals. He moved to Krome Melbourne for a few years before receiving the opportunity of a lifetime when hired by Epic Games. Off he went to North Carolina with his wife, Gina, and started a new chapter. That's kind of where I lost touch with him, apart from Facebook but he always did what he loved. As a colleague, we all admired the quality of his work and his general diligence.

I can't recall a negative experience with Joel and that's not something miserable Clive can say about everyone. He wasn't in poor health and seemed fit, he was only in his late 30's and had been working out a lot over the last year or so, and thus it's quite a shock for everyone who knew him. I regret that i didn't know him better.

Dude will be missed.

I'm sorry to hear that, Clive. I have fond memories of some of the games you listed. He sounded like a talented, dedicated and smart individual, especially the part where he got the fuck out of the Australian developer scene.

I hope the good memories of him help his friends and family to get through this this trying time.

All the best, Clive.

Dryk

I've spent the last few days helping out in the IGR at AVCon. Some really cool stuff and a lot of really cool people. I'm a little exhausted and loopy now though.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I've spent the last few days helping out in the IGR at AVCon. Some really cool stuff and a lot of really cool people. I'm a little exhausted and loopy now though.

My friend was there as a photographer. He posted a lot of pics already. I couldn't care less about it tbh.

Rizzi

Does anyone know if xbox one game codes are region/account locked?
Got a code for The Division that I have absolutely no use for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom