• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Speaking of NMS, does Rep the Deals Octopus have any inside details on the price?

I saw your bargain guide on Press-Start, but if 78 is as good as it gets for PS4 retail might just spend the extra 2 dollars to have it permanently on my hard drive.

Damn economy, I miss when we had a run of like $59-64 games.

Paasei

Anyone down?
13925940_10157287305425215_4614886765158300866_o.jpg

I'm now annoyed by NMS since a few people from work bought it from the same place as I did and they've received a shipping notification and I haven't.

There's no reason to tell Jan about my general level of happiness but still...

cm1j

Neo Member
Looking forward to it! Finally got my tax back, so I might grab it tomorrow! Anyone know where it's cheapest?

Lowest i have seen is 78 at BIG W. Its 79 at JB and you get a bunch of in game currency and a multi-tool so its pretty worth it.

Speaking of NMS, does Rep the Deals Octopus have any inside details on the price?

I saw your bargain guide on Press-Start, but if 78 is as good as it gets for PS4 retail might just spend the extra 2 dollars to have it permanently on my hard drive.

Damn economy, I miss when we had a run of like $59-64 games.

No dice, just the prices in my guide up on PressStart!

Target are on the way out of games so their little Mexican standoff with Big W on Friday fizzled into some standard ass pricing :(

senahorse

On the Saturday night the wife wanted a steak so we did Kingsleys Steak & Crab house, really good steak, great atmosphere, great service. On the Sunday the wife was in the conference until 1pm so I went to Taro's ramen and had the Fire Tonkotsu for lunch! So good! Thank you!

Fantastic, glad you enjoyed, amazing ramen :)

So is there hype here for No Man Sky?

I am hyped, but need to wait until Saturday when the game is out on PC :(

N0VAM0D

Lowest i have seen is 78 at BIG W. Its 79 at JB and you get a bunch of in game currency and a multi-tool so its pretty worth it.

Thanks! That extra dollar is totally work it, heck ye

also tfw u realise it doesn't release today but tomorrow instead haha wow

cm1j

Neo Member
Thanks! That extra dollar is totally work it, heck ye

also tfw u realise it doesn't release today but tomorrow instead haha wow

I did the exact same thing! so bummed. Considering going to a midnight launch if there are any near by.

Paasei

Hell yeah, what ones you going to?

Not too sure yet, but I have to make my mind up quick. My guess is the tickets wont be for sale for a long time. So it will be either Sydney and be able to spend some months there or in Melbourne, the second city on my list that I want to visit/work.

I have no idea where I'll be during that time just yet. Going to Australia for at least a year to work and travel, as I have mentioned earlier should you have missed that. Leaving NL on September 14th.

N0VAM0D

I finally got my tax back so I decided to do a bit of spending today, and I'm so happy with my purchases. Bought a whole bunch of enamel pins and vinyl online, a vintage tartan skirt, a maroon bomber jacket, Coup (the game), some tea, and some makeup! havent been able to spend like this in around 3 months so it feels soooo good. Might try saving the rest...

I did the exact same thing! so bummed. Considering going to a midnight launch if there are any near by.

Same! I'm too keen, the wait is killing me!

I prefer my content well curated so NMS has been tripping off alarm bells for a long time on my end. Didn't think it looked very good on the first trailer, probably not going to try it.

Cerity

I'm more interested to see how the game turns out than playing it tbh. Even with the impressions going out now, everything about the game leaves me pretty apprehensive.

N0VAM0D

Did that include Moon Shaped Pool special edition??!

If only! I copped the regular edition on day one, with plans to get the special edition when I had more money, but still haven't really gotten around to it!

I did get these though! Cool 2 – Hoops, Another Language – This Will Destroy You, and Empty Estate – Wild Nothing for now. Planning on buying heaps more soon! I'm a tad addicted to my collection. I think I'm going to start selling a lot of the vinyl from when I first started collecting and slowly replace them with limited edition copies instead – I love coloured vinyl or a special sleeve/inserts too much to just be content with what I've got. I've recently been looking into collecting tapes also, which is something my wallet doesn't need. I can't let myself get sucked in. Agh!

save me

Bishop89

Census garbage fucking hell.

I was about to hit submit and then the page crashes. And now the website is fucked.

Fucking morons couldn't predict the servers couldn't handle everyone going on at the same time.

You should be used to it. Haven't you ever played a modern game on day 1?

Don't worry, the government will add some servers and get a patch out ASAP.

They'll also give everyone a dance emote as an apology.

Deeku

If only! I copped the regular edition on day one, with plans to get the special edition when I had more money, but still haven't really gotten around to it!

I did get these though! Cool 2 – Hoops, Another Language – This Will Destroy You, and Empty Estate – Wild Nothing for now. Planning on buying heaps more soon! I'm a tad addicted to my collection. I think I'm going to start selling a lot of the vinyl from when I first started collecting and slowly replace them with limited edition copies instead – I love coloured vinyl or a special sleeve/inserts too much to just be content with what I've got. I've recently been looking into collecting tapes also, which is something my wallet doesn't need. I can't let myself get sucked in. Agh!

save me
I'm starting to think the special edition AMSP is kinda a rort considering the price difference...hard to resist tho!

Cool music there too! Yeah I know what you mean on the vinyl. I've actually been slowly collecting vinyl for the past couple years just in case I buy a vinyl player at some point....which is of course the dumbest reason to start collecting! And omg, tapes! They're also super dumb but I bought 2 Beach House cassette tapes not so long ago and...I dunno...old physical crap is cool!

I need saving too:/

Quasar

The census website crashed? Shocker.

Indeed. If amazon cant keep their site running properly during Prime Day there wasnt much hope here. Especially when you also have organised ddos attacks running.

Pretty much why I'm not super hyped for internet voting.

The census website crashed? Shocker.

Indeed. If amazon cant keep their site running properly during Prime Day there wasnt much hope here. Especially when you also have organised ddos attacks running.

Pretty much why I'm not super hyped for internet voting.

Obviously wasn't there for this year's but the last Census in 2011 was online and that seemed to go fine.

When they talk about electronic voting, it's likely to be electronic at the polling station, rather than something you do from your phone (at least for the forseeable future).

Part of the issue (highlighted everytime the elections are really close) is that you can vote outside your electorate and each polling stations keeps paper copies of each electorate's ballot (that's my understanding, anyway). Which sucks if you need to vote and they've run out of papers for your electorate.

Got to work this morning an a coworker who bought NMS from the same place as me was showing off his copy. But mine's shipped just now so I should have it tomorrow.

N0VAM0D

I'm starting to think the special edition AMSP is kinda a rort considering the price difference...hard to resist tho!

Cool music there too! Yeah I know what you mean on the vinyl. I've actually been slowly collecting vinyl for the past couple years just in case I buy a vinyl player at some point....which is of course the dumbest reason to start collecting! And omg, tapes! They're also super dumb but I bought 2 Beach House cassette tapes not so long ago and...I dunno...old physical crap is cool!

I need saving too:/

You're not wrong there! I'd honestly just be happy with the white vinyl instead of the big book with all the extra stuff.

Thank you! So, so excited to listen to it all on wax (though I've heard the Wild Nothing EP is a notoriously shitty press which is a shame, but at least it's pretty!).

Definitely buy a turntable, it'll be so worth it! Doesn't sound dumb at all. Check out the Wirecutter for their recommendations, it's what got me onto my first turntable. I ended up getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon because I saw it on special at JB a while back. Planning on upgrading very soon, though!

THOSE TAPES ARE SO COOL OMG
and beach house are heaps rad
, u have inspired me to buy some now. the only tape I own right now is a really sweet release from two local Newy bands, PALS, and Wavevom.

Not too sure yet, but I have to make my mind up quick. My guess is the tickets wont be for sale for a long time. So it will be either Sydney and be able to spend some months there or in Melbourne, the second city on my list that I want to visit/work.

I have no idea where I'll be during that time just yet. Going to Australia for at least a year to work and travel, as I have mentioned earlier should you have missed that. Leaving NL on September 14th.

Well if you are around, i'll be at the Sydney one if you want to do a mini Gaf meetup. Just pm us dude :)

Deeku

You're not wrong there! I'd honestly just be happy with the white vinyl instead of the big book with all the extra stuff.

Thank you! So, so excited to listen to it all on wax (though I've heard the Wild Nothing EP is a notoriously shitty press which is a shame, but at least it's pretty!).

Definitely buy a turntable, it'll be so worth it! Doesn't sound dumb at all. Check out the Wirecutter for their recommendations, it's what got me onto my first turntable. I ended up getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon because I saw it on special at JB a while back. Planning on upgrading very soon, though!

THOSE TAPES ARE SO COOL OMG
and beach house are heaps rad
, u have inspired me to buy some now. the only tape I own right now is a really sweet release from two local Newy bands, PALS, and Wavevom.
Oh awesome, yeah Pro-Ject is the brand I've been thinking of going with. Has lots of good recommendations from people saying it's a decent entry level turntable. Hmmm...dammit you got me thinking about finally pulling the trigger on this again:/

And yeah, I only have the 2 Beach House tapes. They look cool sitting on my shelf so duty fulfilled I guess! I don't think I could justify buying more tapes tho, apart from the odd cool looking one. I feel like at least vinyls sound better, perceived or otherwise, whereas tapes are just a novelty. Plus I just really want to have cool vinyls and art of my fav albums!

So how's the first half hour of NMS guys? Assuming it unlocked at midnight :p

Yeah census fuckery has led me to ignore it for the foreseeable future.

r1chard

NMS unlocked just before midnight. At 2am I had to drag myself away from it.

I found I was a little lost in some of the game mechanics, but not for long.
I ended up punching trees at one point (because I ran out of power and didn't realise how easy it was to get Isotope in the form of Carbon ;-) which as a long-time Minecraft player made me giggle
And then I was exploring, and stopped only because I have to be a responsible adult this week.

Why didn't they just give the census hosting to MS Azure with all its redundancy, data retention and load balancing etc? Also literally the first Australian datacentres to achieve very high standards for cloud industry and government certifications, such as :

ISO/IEC 27001 (security of assets such as financial information, intellectual property, employee details or information entrusted to you by third parties)

Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) security standards for the transmission of government information

ISO 27018 (protect personally identifiable information)

U.S.–EU Safe Harbor (required to transfer data from EU to US due to stricter EU privacy laws, similar to Aus)

We have some strange policies in our govt IT. Why the fuck didn't they back Azure to deal with the census? A company that invests in multiple datacentres in Sydney and Melb, unlike Amazon etc and adheres to whatever crazy standards the government wants to hold it too.

I know what a real test of said standards would uncover with existing government partners/infrastructure. Total joke and last night was just a spotlight on the usual IT bullshit from pollies/govt depts.

Can Azure guarantee that data will be physically located in Australia?

From what I recall, the university that I work has policy requiring that confidential student info be retained on servers physically inside Australia. Or at least that's how it was described to me. I can imagine there might be legal/political issues with using a cloud service.

Cohsae

Millions of computers from Australia all tried to access simultaneously. Only a Botnet could be behind this!
Apparently Kaspersky and some other group (norse?) keep tabs on global ddos and there was no attack seen.
Not sure if this is confirmed.

In other news, holy shit the Nauru files leak.
Will this finally be enough to make people give a shit?

Dead Man

Apparently Kaspersky and some other group (norse?) keep tabs on global ddos and there was no attack seen.
Not sure if this is confirmed.

In other news, holy shit the Nauru files leak.
Will this finally be enough to make people give a shit?

Sadly, probably not.

Darren870

From what I recall, the university that I work has policy requiring that confidential student info be retained on servers physically inside Australia. Or at least that's how it was described to me. I can imagine there might be legal/political issues with using a cloud service.

For Amazon you can. You just need to deactivate any other global instance. I'd be surprised if Azure wasn't the same.

Yes you can control data retention to Aus only, various controls e.g. web vs database. They even passed yet another certification from our government on this specifically, I believe Azure was the first global DC company to do so with such a specific high rating. There are also other controls such as storage replication:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-redundancy/

•Locally redundant storage (LRS)
•Zone-redundant storage (ZRS)
•Geo-redundant storage (GRS)
•Read-access geo-redundant storage (RA-GRS)

LRS is region specific so you'd only be using Syd/Melb DCs, basically developed to satisify govt data standards.

Quasar

Millions of computers from Australia all tried to access simultaneously. Only a Botnet could be behind this!

I'm actually surprised there's that many going electronic straight away. Figured would be much more conservative. But maybe having to going ask for a paper form impacted that.

MoonGred

Does anyone know how "safe" paypal is for private sales?

I'm selling my 980ti and a potential buyer has requested to use paypal, for small amount I usually don't worry to much, but I'm a bit worried about this for some reason, most likely because of reading horror stories on Gaf.
Would a bank transfer be a better option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom