• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought;

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Xbox One - $9.69 AUD
Starcraft II 2: Legacy of the Void - $26.39 AUD
Call of Duty: Ghosts PC - $6.99 AUD

Discount -$2.15 AUD
Subtotal $40.92 AUD

All for $40.92 from Cdkeys (with -5% off code)

Dam that site is good. I already had Halo but traded my disc today at EB for $11. I couldn't be assed switching discs anymore and for $2 less i thought why not. I thought i would bite on COD for that price just for the SP.

Xbox Live is really cheap. COD Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition is ridiculous at $62

Wish PlayStation Plus was cheap :/ That's the only thing that annoys me about the service, at least with Live you can get it heavily discounted if you look about.

I bought;

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Xbox One - $9.69 AUD
Starcraft II 2: Legacy of the Void - $26.39 AUD
Call of Duty: Ghosts PC - $6.99 AUD

Discount -$2.15 AUD
Subtotal $40.92 AUD

All for $40.92 from Cdkeys (with -5% off code)

Dam that site is good. I already had Halo but traded my disc today at EB for $11. I couldn't be assed switching discs anymore and for $2 less i thought why not. I thought i would bite on COD for that price just for the SP.

Xbox Live is really cheap. COD Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition is ridiculous at $62

Why are they so cheap? I'm always a bit wary about super cheap sites after a bunch were caught stealing cdkeys and doing shady shit.

Expedia.com

its the way I tell 'em

In other news, Mirror's Edge Catalyst is really very good.

Agreed, finished Catalyst myself last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Only frustrating thing is the unforgiving load times (PS4 at least) especially when a lot of events require at least a few tries to fully succeed. Otherwise, it plays like a dream and I have no clue as to what reviewers were complaining about with the combat, I found it fantastic. Weighty, full of consequence, challenging yet oh so rewarding.

and yet here we are with next to no media buzz for edge 2 they must have wanted it to tank .......

anyone got any clues on the final sales numbers?

What's the best way to watch US netflix these days?
GetFlix has been on their game in terms of US. They dumped all other regions though for the time being.
and yet here we are with next to no media buzz for edge 2 they must have wanted it to tank .......

anyone got any clues on the final sales numbers?

I played the beta and hated it. Really hated the open world style so I never picked it up.

If it's too cheap to be true then it's likely shady. But sometimes you just don't want to pay that Australia tax, especially for thing like Blizzard games.

Agreed, finished Catalyst myself last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Only frustrating thing is the unforgiving load times (PS4 at least) especially when a lot of events require at least a few tries to fully succeed. Otherwise, it plays like a dream and I have no clue as to what reviewers were complaining about with the combat, I found it fantastic. Weighty, full of consequence, challenging yet oh so rewarding.

The best bit is that the stuff that a lot of people don't like, as Rep alluded to- the open world stuff and tons of side missions and races- are all completely optional and you can safely ignore them since you can easily level up Faith just with Main missions and just a few of the sides. Yeah so if the open world offends you, apart from travelling to Mission start points, you can play it as a linear adventure.

The PS4 load times are a bit annoying, but nowhere near as long as Just Cause 3 or Lego City Undercover (2 of my favourite games of this gen)

I think I'm going to have a hard to fill gap in between finishing ME:C today or tomorrow and NMS arriving.

The PS4 load times are a bit annoying, but nowhere near as long as Just Cause 3 or Lego City Undercover (2 of my favourite games of this gen)

I think I'm going to have a hard to fill gap in between finishing ME:C today or tomorrow and NMS arriving.

I was pretty sorely disappointed with Just Cause 3 on PC, haven't played it much since release but performance was god awful and I think the novelty of JC2 had simply worn off. Who knows, might go back to it but I enjoyed Mad Max a lot more (and still play it today). Have you tried Mad Max at all? The better of Avalanche's releases last year imo

I was pretty sorely disappointed with Just Cause 3 on PC, haven't played it much since release but performance was god awful and I think the novelty of JC2 had simply worn off. Who knows, might go back to it but I enjoyed Mad Max a lot more (and still play it today). Have you tried Mad Max at all? The better of Avalanche's releases last year imo

My history with Avalanche has mainly been as an Avalanche-sceptic. I never really liked the first Just Cause game, which was a cross-generational PS2- 360 game and it showed so I gave up after an hour or so. A few years later, I picked up Just Cause 2 on PC and could never get started in it, despite everyone saying how great it was. By the time JC3 and MM were launched, I was playing and enjoying open-world games a lot more (particularly those with destruction and decent combat over games with 3-hour cutscenes and bowling). So I asked my bro to grab me Just Cause 3 on PS4 for Xmas last year. Fucking hell, I had a blast with that but I was only about 2/3 of the way through before I ended up moving OS and left my PS4 behind (my intention was to get a second one for UK but then Neo rumours started and I ended up having relatives bring my PS4 with them when they came to visit.) Until the PS4 showed up, I only had my X1 and decided to try JC2 again since the 360 version was BC on X1. This time, I played the game properly and played right through it with a nice smile on my face. When I finished that, I saw Mad Max cheaply and grabbed that and found that a tedious, sluggish bore that barely lasted 3-4 hours before being replaced by anything. I tried to go back to it at least twice but it was just frustrating that I stopped.
PS4 showed up and after I had beaten UC4 and finished with Overwatch, I went back and finished Just Cause 3. Looooooved it.

Mirror's edge: Catalyst is obviously the result of EA looking at how Ubi manages to churn out Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and now, Watch Dog games- games with lots of content and thinking, right, we'll try that.

See, the thing about a linear 8 hour single player game is, people are more likely to trade it / sell it (or even skip new and buy used) once they have beaten it. When a game has a lot more content, people who buy fewer games are more likely to hang on to it longer, so fewer copies on the used market keeps prices higher, which puts less pressure on new prices, yada, yada.
Open world games actually don't require that much more to make than a linear SP game since so much of the filler content is the same- each zone has a clone of the same task, just set in a different location which you only require programmers to set up the template and cheaper level designers just place the Zone 1 race, liberate the Zone 1 bases, Assassinate the Zone 1 boss, etc. That's a gross simplification, of course, and its a QA nightmare, but there you have it.

Mad Max is my surprise game this generation, did everything so well and fleshed out the world so damn well. It basically drops you into the world without decent tutorials and locks story progress behind open world bullshit once or twice, which really hurt it in reviews and initial impressions.

Car combat is the best I've come across, so damn satisfying.

When I finished that, I saw Mad Max cheaply and grabbed that and found that a tedious, sluggish bore that barely lasted 3-4 hours before being replaced by anything. I tried to go back to it at least twice but it was just frustrating that I stopped.

Mirror's edge: Catalyst is obviously the result of EA looking at how Ubi manages to churn out Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and now, Watch Dog games- games with lots of content and thinking, right, we'll try that.

See, the thing about a linear 8 hour single player game is, people are more likely to trade it / sell it (or even skip new and buy used) once they have beaten it. When a game has a lot more content, people who buy fewer games are more likely to hang on to it longer, so fewer copies on the used market keeps prices higher, which puts less pressure on new prices, yada, yada.
Open world games actually don't require that much more to make than a linear SP game since so much of the filler content is the same- each zone has a clone of the same task, just set in a different location which you only require programmers to set up the template and cheaper level designers just place the Zone 1 race, liberate the Zone 1 bases, Assassinate the Zone 1 boss, etc. That's a gross simplification, of course, and its a QA nightmare, but there you have it.

I think as a Mad Max fan it turns what is an otherwise relatively by the numbers open world game into a great piece of fan service which makes it immensely enjoyable just to cruise about and explore the wasteland.

I am pretty happy with the open world formula for Mirror's Edge, as I enjoyed my time with Catalyst and will likely go back to finish collecting those gridLeak things. Really pisses me off that, unlike with the gridLeak's, when you finish the game those security chips don't similarly appear on the map. Anyway, I really want another Mirror's Edge but it makes me wonder; how would they manage that? They've already replicated the City of Glass and a sequel would have to be either set in a new city or be perceived as a downgraded experience by making it linear again.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Vita gets hacked and I gave mine away. RIP ME

Mad Max was OK, Way too repetitive though and a bit of a bore as you continued on. I did manage to finish it, which is surprising for me.

Reptile seems to like the car combat and I just don't even remember it. It mostly felt non existent unless you're using the abilities for open world objectives.

N0VAM0D

I copped Another World and Banner Saga on PS4 yesterday because the price was right, and goddamn am I having fun. Absolutely loving Another World especially, so glad I finally gave it a go. I'm definitely preferring the original aesthetic over the remastered, but it's really nice how they let you switch during gameplay. The 90s style action story is also heaps fun! That opening scene was just too awesome.

I haven't sunk as much time into Banner Saga yet, but from what I've played, I can tell I'm going to absolutely love it. Such a gorgeous game.

Really wanting to play more games but I haven't got a lot of time these days. On the upside though, I finally got a full time job! I'm a restaurant manager now! It's a bit scary to have so much responsibility, but it's a lot of fun so far.

Mad Max is my surprise game this generation, did everything so well and fleshed out the world so damn well. It basically drops you into the world without decent tutorials and locks story progress behind open world bullshit once or twice, which really hurt it in reviews and initial impressions.

Car combat is the best I've come across, so damn satisfying.

Agreed. Still wasn't amazing, but I definitely was surprised after hearing such negative reactions.

Gazunta

Over lunch I got the office PSTV hacked and running a Super Nintendo emulator so it's running SNES classics like Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Alpha.

Also just a heads up guys there is a sale on the Nintendo E-Shop where three SNES classics have just been released for the New 3DS Virtual Console, you buy two and get the third one free. The SNES classics are Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Alpha.

no, YOU have a problem

Over lunch I got the office PSTV hacked and running a Super Nintendo emulator so it's running SNES classics like Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Alpha.

Also just a heads up guys there is a sale on the Nintendo E-Shop where three SNES classics have just been released for the New 3DS Virtual Console, you buy two and get the third one free. The SNES classics are Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Alpha.

no, YOU have a problem

I'll bet you still got arrested buying these.

I had the urge to play Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver so I went to buy it...holy shit. People are selling it for insanely expensive prices. Over $100 for just the cartridge. That sucks.

Sonia Kruger complaining about 'reverse discrimination'. You know, the type of discrimination that is bad.

The Today Extra host, referring to a scholarship for LGBTI students funded by the Australian Business and Community Network Scholarship Foundation (ABCN) said:

"It sort of feels like reverse discrimination to me, in a way. To ask a student if they identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual, you're asking someone about their sexual preferences and I find that that's a really odd thing to do, in any kind of capacity, whether it's a job or a scholarship. I think a scholarship should be given on merit."

Co-host David Campbell pointed out that the scholarship also included transgender people, and that it was for people facing "significant economic, family or social challenges". Kruger said that while she understood how that could apply to the transgender minority, she still struggled with the scholarship's requirement to identify one's sexuality.

Noting that there are "tons" of other scholarships available for students who aren't LGBTQIA+, an exasperated Campbell responded: "I hardly think it's a big deal".
http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sexual...holarship-reverse-discrimination?cid=trending

Card Boy

Banned
Where is the cheapest place to get a 64gig Vita card? I want to sell my 2 16gig cards aswell. The switching is annoying. I found a seller on ebay for $129AUD delivered.

Where is the cheapest place to get a 64gig Vita card? I want to sell my 2 16gig cards aswell. The switching is annoying. I found a seller on ebay for $129AUD delivered.

Id also like to know, but unfortunately you can't expect much in the way of savings. Because theyre a relatively niche product, unavailable in many territories, and proprietary, youre shit outta luck unless you want to be paying over $100 :/

Quasar

I just signed up with TPG for NBN. How big of a mistake did I make? Going by whirlpool everyone is absolute shit

Certainly RSPs that offer unlimited plans are worst off when it comes to having anough bandwidth for users given how NBN pricing works.

That's part of why I went with one that doesn't. And so far after a week at least I've not seen any speed drops, even in prime time.

MoonGred

Main issue with TPG is that all customers waive their Customer Service Guarantee Standard rights.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Cons...r-of-rights-under-the-csg-standard-fact-sheet

Ah interesting.

Certainly RSPs that offer unlimited plans are worst off when it comes to having anough bandwidth for users given how NBN pricing works.

That's part of why I went with one that doesn't. And so far after a week at least I've not seen any speed drops, even in prime time.

Just out of interest, who did you end up going with?

I opted not to go for the 18 month contract so I can bail whenever I want.

Quasar

I just went with AussieBroadband. A smaller one that many on whirlpool seemed to like. I had been interested in skymesh, but hey still dont service my area.

Part of my issue though was that being on a budget I wanted a 50/20 plan and few offer that.

finished Mirror's Edge Catalyst last night. I really quite enjoyed it, though I have no idea what the Catalyst in the title was actually referring to. Polished, occasionally frustrating here and there but never enough to make me stop playing.

And I did about 6 of the billions of side missions/diversions so you really can play the game without the side stuff and treat it like a linear adventure if that's what you want.

Dimefan3

Lesson learnt the hard way. Started playing GTAV on 360 a few weeks ago, thought I'd upgrade to the PS4 version on the weekend (half price at EB) after reading on the box you can transfer characters and progress. Turns out that only applies to online mode, which is kind of strange.

Guess I'll have to speed through the game again. Think I was only about 10 percent in though.

Apparently Dodo will switch us to NBN from ADSL for free when it becomes available. I'd be shocked if they do so tbh.

I used either YesAsia or SuperUFO back in the day for mine, can't recall exactly. Back then it was about $95 but our dollar is shit :(

Quasar

Apparently Dodo will switch us to NBN from ADSL for free when it becomes available. I'd be shocked if they do so tbh.

Well it is supposed to be free. Nbn Co pays for that. The only costs would be I guess for new modems if you are a pleb on fttn, and those tend to be free if you are under contract.

Card Boy

Banned

I used either YesAsia or SuperUFO back in the day for mine, can't recall exactly. Back then it was about $95 but our dollar is shit :(

Cheers was $118 with postage and tracking from Superufo. I am going to sell my 2 16 gig cards to recoup the costs.

N0VAM0D

rip me

YES. WELCOME. BWAHAHAHAHAHHA

Oh man I just realised I haven't installed Civ V on my new machine yet.

don't do it man it's a fkn trap

I feel like I'm gonna be on Steam a lot more as a result of this... My username is miauviv if anyone wants to add me? I made a new account a while back and never actually did anything with it so I don't have the ability to add others as friends yet.

u can all watch in shame as my hours played ticks up and up

N0VAM0D

Actually, I'm really wanting to buy the complete edition of Civ V. Does anyone know where I can get it cheap? Even though there's a Steam sale on it all, it's still way out of my price range. Are any third party sites to be trusted with selling Steam keys? I get that a lot of it is they grey market so it's basically shady by default, but lemme know if there's any reliable places you guys know of!

Omikron

Actually, I'm really wanting to buy the complete edition of Civ V. Does anyone know where I can get it cheap? Even though there's a Steam sale on it all, it's still way out of my price range. Are any third party sites to be trusted with selling Steam keys? I get that a lot of it is they grey market so it's basically shady by default, but lemme know if there's any reliable places you guys know of!

I have grabbed stuff from here before without issues.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/sid-meier-s-civilization-v-5-the-complete-edition-pc-cd-key-steam

$10.49 (AUD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom