• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good recommendations for a solid dishwasher & washing machine brand/model?
Thinking Bing Lee or Good Guys...
I recently bought one (and returned one as I didn't bother to check size :/ ) but haven't found any recommendation under a grand that doesn't have a TON of negative reviews. Dishwashers seem to have a short lifespan by the looks of it. At this point I'm just going to buy a bigger sink lol

Me too. It's a great machine for buying games digitally too, the library is enormous with all those PS1 & PSP games, and lots of great ports of indie titles in the $10-30 range. There are regularly great sales on the digital store too, you just need to get over the hurdle of paying for one of those expensive large memory cards and you're away.

I can't see them releasing a successor though, this is the end, my friend.

Yeah you factor in a 64GB card with the hardware price rather than separate it.

Unless they dual boot Android I don't see them releasing another handheld, even if just in Japan.

senahorse

Honestly, Bosch or Miele for white goods. Costs a lot more but so much better than Blanco

Shrug, like all brands they have their good and bad products, current dishwasher is a blanco and has been the best dishwasher I have had, going strong for close to 5 years and counting, never had an issue with it and it always does a fantastic clean.

Don't buy a Samsung, even if you get one that doesn't catch on fire, their reliability is shocking. I know someone who is on their 4th in under 2 years.

It's a shame Maytag don't make washing machines anymore. My parents bought one probably more than 25 years ago and it's still going strong, completely indestructible. Probably too well made, no return customers so they went bust!

senahorse

Don't buy a Samsung, even if you get one that doesn't catch on fire, their reliability is shocking. I know someone who is on their 4th in under 2 years.

It's a shame Maytag don't make washing machines anymore. My parents bought one probably more than 25 years ago and it's still going strong, completely indestructible. Probably too well made, no return customers so they went bust!

My mum bought a maytag about 15 years ago, died 3 times in warranty and then out of before she replaced it, was ungodly expensive at the time.

Sony have announced a PSVR roadshow in the build up to release:

Sony said:
Want to try PlayStation VR before anyone else? We are bringing the PlayStation VR Tour to the following Westfield locations:

· Westfield Southland, VIC - Sept 10th & 11th
· Westfield Knox, VIC - Sept 17th & 18th
· Westfield Belconnen, ACT - Sept 24th & 25th
· Westfield Parramatta, NSW - Oct 8th & 9th
· Westfield Bondi Junction, NSW - Oct 15th & 16th
· Westfield Chatswood, NSW - Oct 22nd & 23rd
· Westfield Chatswood, NSW - Oct 29th & 30th
· Westfield Hornsby, NSW - Nov 12th & 13th
· Westfield Garden City, QLD - Nov 19th & 20th
· Westfield Garden City, QLD - Nov 26th & 27th

Register with our online booking system and we'll email you when tour slots become available. You'll need to complete a brief survey before you can register.

PlayStation VR will change the way you play forever. Don’t take our word for it. See it for yourself.

Register Now
Only one problem with that: six out of the ten events are actually after the PSVR has already been released. Good job guys: when they said "Want to try PlayStation VR before anyone else?", they meant before anyone else apart from every single person in the entire country who pre-ordered one.

They also have the price listed in £ on the Australian web site. These guys are pros.

radaxian

Honestly, Bosch or Miele for white goods. Costs a lot more but so much better than Blanco

Our kitchen is full of NEFF appliances which seem to be on the fancy end of things and have been good so far. Not sure I'd have forked out for them if I was building the house but that's how the owner did it so I'm just paying for them with everything else via the mega-mortgage!

Recreat3

Anyone here done a eurotrip? Going solo for a month and not sure if i should focus on my own thing or a contiki/topdeck tour. I have a mate living in london and former housemate in berlin so i already plan on visiting them. Also going to a heavy metal festival in cologne so i will only have about 2 weeks left to plan.

In the last two weeks i was thinking of squeezing in some netherlands and italy but not sure what else. When i travel i usually like to stay in a city for a few days rather than feeling like im always on the move. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Im going late next month and have to start booking accomodation soon.

Anyone here done a eurotrip? Going solo for a month and not sure if i should focus on my own thing or a contiki/topdeck tour. I have a mate living in london and former housemate in berlin so i already plan on visiting them. Also going to a heavy metal festival in cologne so i will only have about 2 weeks left to plan.

In the last two weeks i was thinking of squeezing in some netherlands and italy but not sure what else. When i travel i usually like to stay in a city for a few days rather than feeling like im always on the move. Any suggestions are appreciated.

i'm doing one today (though it's only from the UK). Get ready to love then hate ryanair.
you'll probably see more of the local stuff doing you're own thing with a day tour here and there. I'd imagine contiki will just see you drunk/hungover most of the time.

When PS4 launched, I got some excellent deals on US PS+ (us cos I was living there at the time), and so I stacked up three years worth. That'll be up for renewal in November. I also have a UK account (and an ancient AU one if I can recover it). Which would be the best region to get PS+ in when I need to renew?

Cheapest, better deals etc? I'm closing my US bank account so payment's a factor.

Recreat3

i'm doing one today (though it's only from the UK). Get ready to love then hate ryanair.
you'll probably see more of the local stuff doing you're own thing with a day tour here and there. I'd imagine contiki will just see you drunk/hungover most of the time.

Yeh i figured and stuck on a bus having to go to the next destination doesnt sound too appealing. I imagine ill be drunk/hungover a lot anyway but atleast I can do whatever i please the next day if i go solo.

What is ryanair?

Yeh i figured and stuck on a bus having to go to the next destination doesnt sound too appealing. I imagine ill be drunk/hungover a lot anyway but atleast I can do whatever i please the next day if i go solo.

What is ryanair?

super cheap airline that charges extra for everything- checking in bags, checking in at the airport, on board refreshment, changing your flights. Actual planes and flying experience no worse than Jetstar, but the Brits haaaaaate Ryanair.

Most of the commuter companies are similar though

Recreat3

super cheap airline that charges extra for everything- checking in bags, checking in at the airport, on board refreshment, changing your flights. Actual planes and flying experience no worse than Jetstar, but the Brits haaaaaate Ryanair.

Most of the commuter companies are similar though

Ah i see! I was more thinking of using the train anyway. Seems like a pretty decent system to get from country to country there and a good chance to relax without the stress of being at an airport.

Gazunta

Is there a good idiot's guide to setting up a US PS account for Australian users? I want my $1 Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo ><

And my $15 Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

quabba

I went in March but definitely kept on the move only staying 2 nights anywhere, but will say the trains were awesome. Amsterdam and Italy were both great and was just saying tonight I wish we had spent a few nights in Budapest

Deeku

When PS4 launched, I got some excellent deals on US PS+ (us cos I was living there at the time), and so I stacked up three years worth. That'll be up for renewal in November. I also have a UK account (and an ancient AU one if I can recover it). Which would be the best region to get PS+ in when I need to renew?

Cheapest, better deals etc? I'm closing my US bank account so payment's a factor.
I think US would always have the better deals just cos. UK/Au region have the same deals so it just comes down to which currency is cheaper for you to pay in.

mulac

Got access to my new house today so of course first thing I did was look for internet & tv wall plugs...

Found this in what the current occupants are using as a study hooked up to a router/modem but my fancy pants Asus Dual Band Modem Router can't take coaxial...what is this socket? Looks like Telstra (I am with iinet naked dsl right now and was hoping to stay with them)...

Mpxe0ezm.jpg

I found the telephone plug but its in the bedroom - I want to setup my study with all pc's/playstation.router/servers hooked up wired to my router in the study so what's the easiest way to move the plug from bedroom to study (same floor, just about 10m apart).

Or use that weird plug thing I posted above for internet/wifi in the house? Its 2 floors so I'm going to have all wired upstairs and setup a repeater downstairs in the living room for wifi to boost signal strength there and into the garden...thoughts?

Thanks!

Got access to my new house today so of course first thing I did was look for internet & tv wall plugs...

Found this in what the current occupants are using as a study hooked up to a router/modem but my fancy pants Asus Dual Band Modem Router can't take coaxial...what is this socket? Looks like Telstra (I am with iinet naked dsl right now and was hoping to stay with them)...

Mpxe0ezm.jpg

I found the telephone plug but its in the bedroom - I want to setup my study with all pc's/playstation.router/servers hooked up wired to my router in the study so what's the easiest way to move the plug from bedroom to study (same floor, just about 10m apart).

Or use that weird plug thing I posted above for internet/wifi in the house? Its 2 floors so I'm going to have all wired upstairs and setup a repeater downstairs in the living room for wifi to boost signal strength there and into the garden...thoughts?

Thanks!
That's a coax cable, either Optus or Telstra - it looks like it might actually have Telstra printed on the faceplate in your picture. You can probably get Foxtel through it, along with cable internet. Telstra's cable internet can actually be faster than the NBN in terms of downstream speed if you opt for the "Speed Boost." I get 110 Mbps on mine. Not the cheapest, but if you're to buggery away from the exchange and not expecting the NBN any time soon, then it's the way to go.

mulac

That's a coax cable, either Optus or Telstra - it looks like it might actually have Telstra printed on the faceplate in your picture. You can probably get Foxtel through it, along with cable internet. Telstra's cable internet can actually be faster than the NBN in terms of downstream speed if you opt for the "Speed Boost." I get 110 Mbps on mine. Not the cheapest, but if you're to buggery away from the exchange and not expecting the NBN any time soon, then it's the way to go.

Not really interested in Foxtel - would cable internet give ample download caps - iinet recently removed all caps - so ideally i'd say with iinet.

Will checkout Telstra/Optus though - I use Optus on my phone; what package are you on? The data caps would be important...

Not really interested in Foxtel - would cable internet give ample download caps - iinet recently removed all caps - so ideally i'd say with iinet.

Will checkout Telstra/Optus though - I use Optus on my phone; what package are you on? The data caps would be important...
It will be one provider or the other depending on whose network it is, you won't have a choice (unless they're now doing some network sharing in prep for the NBN HFC stuff). My cap is 500GB. I get nowhere near that, not even remotely, even with huge streaming video use and big arse PS4 downloads. Then again I'm not a torrenter. Upstream speeds are pathetic compared to NBN though, 2.4 Mbps for me.

mulac

It will be one provider or the other depending on whose network it is, you won't have a choice (unless they're now doing some network sharing in prep for the NBN HFC stuff). My cap is 500GB. I get nowhere near that, not even remotely, even with huge streaming video use and big arse PS4 downloads. Then again I'm not a torrenter. Upstream speeds are pathetic compared to NBN though, 2.4 Mbps for me.

Ok got it. Thanks. Will check out iinet and Telstra - yeah I don't use massive amounts either tbh but work from home a fair bit so want that data buffer.

Regarding connection to that coax though - its a new cable modem which I can then hook up to my wireless router, right? Can I just buy one outright or does Telstra/Optus have to provide?

Ok got it. Thanks. Will check out iinet and Telstra - yeah I don't use massive amounts either tbh but work from home a fair bit so want that data buffer.

Regarding connection to that coax though - its a new cable modem which I can then hook up to my wireless router, right? Can I just buy one outright or does Telstra/Optus have to provide?
Visit http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au and figure out how far from your new exchange you are (to get a rough idea of the ADSL speeds you can expect).

You can indeed put your cable modem into Bridge mode and use your existing router. I'm pretty sure you have to use the provided modem; EuroDOCSIS 3.0 capable cable modems are pretty thin on the ground anyway.

radaxian

Anyone else running into errors using EDGE Browser trying to watch English Premier League on Optus Sport?

I've signed up but have only been watching on Windows 7/10 Chrome browser. I'm really unimpressed with the max quality of the replay streams. They claim they're 720p but they look very ordinary to me, lots of compression visible etc. Have you tried watching any games live? Some people have claimed the live streams look better. Bandwidth not a problem as I get 12Mbit/s at home and have the same results with 200MBit/s at work.

I get really nice video streaming from Netflix, and in previous years EPL fans could get beautiful 1080 HD from Foxtel. I signed up for month-by-month because I'd heard it was a mess, I'd really like to watch games on replay but not sure it's worth the hassle when I can probably find really nice quality recordings of the games easily enough.

r1chard

Any good recommendations for a solid dishwasher & washing machine brand/model?
Thinking Bing Lee or Good Guys...
If you don't know someone with access, I recommend the small amount of money ($24 for 3 months) it takes to sign up to choice.com.au to go through their reviews. Compared to the overall cost of whitegoods, their signup fee could save you from buying a lemon...

Do not trust a single thing someone in a store tells you regarding reliability or fitness for purpose. Those people know jack, they don't do testing, they exist solely to move product.

And don't trust brands just because they've previously been solid. That's not necessarily a reliable indicator that some random new model they make is going to be great.

Quasar

If you don't know someone with access, I recommend the small amount of money it takes to sign up to choice.com.au to go through their reviews. Compared to the overall cost of whitegoods, their signup feed could save you from buying a lemon...

Or go to a library. At least here they provide access to choice online (plus physical copies). Actually Uni libraries should too.

radaxian

If you don't know someone with access, I recommend the small amount of money ($24 for 3 months) it takes to sign up to choice.com.au to go through their reviews. Compared to the overall cost of whitegoods, their signup fee could save you from buying a lemon...

Do not trust a single thing someone in a store tells you regarding reliability or fitness for purpose. Those people know jack, they don't do testing, they exist solely to move product.

And don't trust brands just because they've previously been solid. That's not necessarily a reliable indicator that some random new model they make is going to be great.

Yep I've signed up for the minimum period a couple of times, most recently for buying a $1000+ front loading washing machine. I think it's worth supporting them when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom