• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Street Figher 5 for PS4 is $31

HUGE sale on currently as well. Perfect for Vita gamers as there is a TON of awesome PSP/PSOne games on sale. Keep in mind the PS2 Classics for PS4 are PAL versions and don't run as well as the US ones.

When PS4 launched, I got some excellent deals on US PS+ (us cos I was living there at the time), and so I stacked up three years worth. That'll be up for renewal in November. I also have a UK account (and an ancient AU one if I can recover it). Which would be the best region to get PS+ in when I need to renew?

Cheapest, better deals etc? I'm closing my US bank account so payment's a factor.
I'd recommend going with AU if you don't care about losing the US PS+ games you accumulated. PS+ doesn't go on sale here often but you can get 20% off using cards from Coles/etc every now and then. Our dollar dropped a hell of a lot since PS4 launched.

Also PS+ just went up in the US which could actually make it cheaper to buy where when factoring in conversion. The only thing I really grab from the US store now are the PS2 classics due to technical stuff.

Game sales here are just as good as US now IMO, a lot of the time even better.

Is there a good idiot's guide to setting up a US PS account for Australian users? I want my $1 Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo ><

And my $15 Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

Go to make new account. Select USA rather than Australia. Done.

Once downloaded you can play on any account on your PS4, same as back on PS3.

You can indeed put your cable modem into Bridge mode and use your existing router. I'm pretty sure you have to use the provided modem; EuroDOCSIS 3.0 capable cable modems are pretty thin on the ground anyway.
Yep - generally the cable providers will only provision a modem they provide, or if not it has to be on their very short approved list (which probably only includes one they provide).

I use my Optus cable modem in bridge mode and use my own router to do router-y things. I find the performance and configurability much better.

Stackboy

Forza 6 is free to play for the weekend on Xbox One for gold subs, will hopefully get some time in with it the next few days. Not going to buy it, not the hugest racing sim fan but I looooooove arcade racers and Forza Horizon 3 looks amazing.

Recreat3

Ohwell, missed out on opeth tickets. Sydney opera house ticketing system is so shit! And then i went back to sleep, had a dream about totalling my car. Great start to the weekend haha

Rizzi

Trying to get Austudy is an arduous process.
Last week, I called Centrelink to ask about my claim, and they said "If you haven't heard anything by next Friday call us back and I'll see what I can find out."
So I did. An hour and 15 minutes on hold for "We can't tell you any more information, sorry you were lied to last week"
And their Austudy phone number is literally always busy. Frustrating as hell.

Quasar

Trying to get Austudy is an arduous process.
Last week, I called Centrelink to ask about my claim, and they said "If you haven't heard anything by next Friday call us back and I'll see what I can find out."
So I did. An hour and 15 minutes on hold for "We can't tell you any more information, sorry you were lied to last week"
And their Austudy phone number is literally always busy. Frustrating as hell.

Yeah. Last time I had to call I was on hold so long my cordless phone cut out due to battery death. Admittedly the battery is clearly pretty poor, but still.

But yeah, certainly lines are always super busy.

Rizzi

Yeah. Last time I had to call I was on hold so long my cordless phone cut out due to battery death. Admittedly the battery is clearly pretty poor, but still.

But yeah, certainly lines are always super busy.

You can't even call their Austudy line. It just hangs up and says it's busy. :|

Quasar

Well...thats just hilarious. Had a census visit 30 minutes or so ago. Apparently my paper form never made it to the ABS and so I'm being required to do it again.

Quasar

You can't even call their Austudy line. It just hangs up and says it's busy. :|

Ugh.

All caused by major cutbacks to various departments. I wonder if this has increased foot traffic to centrelink offices or not, which of course is just as bad with there being hardly any front facing staff in any office I've been in anytime recently.

Jintor

This is a bit specific but anybody used any non-dual volt equipment from Japan before? I brought back my PC but forgot to account for the voltage difference and now i need to grab a step-down converter from 200V household voltage to 100V input so it doesn't fry my PSU. Any tips where to grab one?

senahorse

This is a bit specific but anybody used any non-dual volt equipment from Japan before? I brought back my PC but forgot to account for the voltage difference and now i need to grab a step-down converter from 200V household voltage to 100V input so it doesn't fry my PSU. Any tips where to grab one?

Jaycar sell them, but you will get better deals buying one online, I got one from ebay, try to buy one from a local seller though so it's aus approved etc. Just make sure you buy one that's enough Watts to power the device you want, too many watts isn't a problem (device will only use what it needs).

edit: something like this should be ok http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Step-Dow...hash=item51e67d5fe5:m:m8GrhFE6a-yGep5QOiJ1R0w

Ohwell, missed out on opeth tickets. Sydney opera house ticketing system is so shit! And then i went back to sleep, had a dream about totalling my car. Great start to the weekend haha

Ticket sales in Australia generally suck. I've missed so many gigs that have sold out straight away and within a few days shit loads of tickets go back on sale via the 2nd hand part of the same fucking company for 3-4 times the cost. Should all be named tickets and only resell-able for face value + handling fee.

mulac

If you don't know someone with access, I recommend the small amount of money ($24 for 3 months) it takes to sign up to choice.com.au to go through their reviews. Compared to the overall cost of whitegoods, their signup fee could save you from buying a lemon...

Do not trust a single thing someone in a store tells you regarding reliability or fitness for purpose. Those people know jack, they don't do testing, they exist solely to move product.

And don't trust brands just because they've previously been solid. That's not necessarily a reliable indicator that some random new model they make is going to be great.

Great advice. Thanks!

mulac

Yep - generally the cable providers will only provision a modem they provide, or if not it has to be on their very short approved list (which probably only includes one they provide).

I use my Optus cable modem in bridge mode and use my own router to do router-y things. I find the performance and configurability much better.

So the more I read about Telsta and Optus cable internet offerings...the more I am turned off - yes the speedboost is good but the service and outages are shocking.

So now my options are:

1. Stick with iinet NakedDSL
2. Look at another provider similar for NakedDSL or ADSL2+ - Westnet seem to get a good rep...

Questions are now:
- how easy is it to move phone plugs in the wall to somewhere better located in the house
- any experience of Westnet
- what is the advantage of ADSL2+ vs NakedDSL

I checked the location of my new house vs the exchange and it looks like between 10mb/15mb speeds which is much better than my current 5mb/s!

Also I'm looking at a Repeater WifiExtender to use:
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/25372/asus-rt-ac68u-dual-band-wireless-ac1900-router/

https://www.pccasegear.com/products...eless-ac1900-dual-band-repeater-with-usb-3-0/

would it be easier to get a new PSU rather than dick around with a step-down converter?

Quasar

I know the wait for getting it installed can be shit and it's not perfect but it's bloody better than what I got now given my distance from the exchange. I'll take a damn node over what I got now.

Still copper though.

My only annoyance having recently got fibre is that its taking forever to port my voice number to the nbn, and with my internet and voice bundled on adsl I'm paying twice for internet I'm only using one.

Recreat3

Ticket sales in Australia generally suck. I've missed so many gigs that have sold out straight away and within a few days shit loads of tickets go back on sale via the 2nd hand part of the same fucking company for 3-4 times the cost. Should all be named tickets and only resell-able for face value + handling fee.

Yeh i know but the sydney opera house website is particularly awful. It would have been much better if they just went through ticketek. Theres already a couple of tix up on ticketmaster for an absurd price already. I will make sure i get a ticket somehow, cant miss out on this gig

Fredescu

So general concensus seems to be Telstra Cable Internet is more hassle than worth?

Cable is miles better than ADSL. Outages probably depend on your area. I've been on it for about four years and haven't had too many. Contention probably depends on your area too, but I frequently get 115Mbs speed tests in peak hours. Not sure where the consensus is that you should stick with 10-20Mbs when you can get 100Mbs.

Cable is miles better than ADSL. Outages probably depend on your area. I've been on it for about four years and haven't had too many. Contention probably depends on your area too, but I frequently get 115Mbs speed tests in peak hours. Not sure where the consensus is that you should stick with 10-20Mbs when you can get 100Mbs.
Same here, I'm on Telstra cable and get 110Mbps+ with little to no speed decrease at peak. I've been with them for years and had no problems. I used to get a max of about 4Mbps on ADSL2+ because of my distance from the exchange. This is in Sydney's inner west (Balmain exchange).

mulac

It's more Telstra as a company. Sold on Cable as internet.

My new place is in Thornleigh. So Pennant Hills is my nearest exchange.

dity

Still copper though.

My only annoyance having recently got fibre is that its taking forever to port my voice number to the nbn, and with my internet and voice bundled on adsl I'm paying twice for internet I'm only using one.

It ain't 5mbps though.

bomma_man

and they have no incentive to improve their server load or whatever as long as the tickets are sold. fucking sucks though.

Had the afternoon to myself in Sydney, and a hire car. What else would I do but drive solo and hit up four breweries?

In the south there's a lovely group of six in close proximity (or seven depending on how close you want), so I focused on a few there.

I checked out The Grifter, Willie the Boatman, Batch, and Akasha (who are a bit further from the others). My favourites were definitely the first two. If The Grifter had food (or a food truck) I could see myself hanging there all afternoon if I lived nearby.

That's me screwed. My new house has Telstra Cable already active but its not active on my account as I wont move in till October...right?

Australia is amazing and I love it here but damn stuff like this is ridiculous.

I think you'll be alright as the cable is already running to the house. They're not going to rip up already installed stuff just not lay anymore pre-planned HFC.

To call the "new" NBN half-arsed would be an insult to all well-loved half-arsed government programs.

It's more Telstra as a company. Sold on Cable as internet.
I haven't looked into it in a while, but previously the consensus at the whirlpool forums had always been that the Optus cable network suffered much larger speed drops during peak when compared to the Telstra network. That may have changed, and probably varies by suburb too, but check out whirlpool for the latest feedback.

Cerity

About 200 people have held a protest in Melbourne's outer west against what they say is the rise of Islam in the area.

The True Blue Crew, an anti-immigration group, organised the rally at Hannah Watts Park, on High Street at Melton, about 35 kilometres west from Melbourne's CBD.

Protesters at the rally waved flags and speakers said they wanted to stop Islam spreading in the area and across Australia.

The group marched to Melton City Council, where they continued their protest. About 30 police officers were present.

A group of about 10 True Blue Crew members broke away from the march and ran to a car park to confront members of another anti-Islam group.

The two groups yelled at each other, swore and threatened violence, but the confrontation was dispersed after about 20 minutes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...-anti-islam-rally-at-melton-melbourne/7792284

Shows you how dimwitted these idiots are.

mulac

Ok so in this ongoing decision making about my new house internet...decided to go with "L" option with Telstra Cable - its already active and installed in the place I'm moving to in October so hopefully all this NBN rubbish will pass by.

My question now is in plugs; there is an outlet for Telstra Cable Coax in the room i'm going to make my master study - main pc etc sitting there for work/gaming/router.

Downstairs in the lounge where the main tv will sit (and future PS4 Neo) there is this connection:

wu7LzaWm.jpg

Question: can I use this plug for direct wired link to my htpc/2nd (spare) router and if so, how?

I plan on hooking the Telstra Model via Bridge to my Asus Router also...but obviously less wifi = better.

Jintor

Update: i realised there was a switch on the back of the PC that magically turned it from 110v in into 230v in. Dunno why but it works

/edit oh my god... going from hikari fibre to this shithouse TPG/Optus connection is like getting an arm chopped off. This Hitman update is going to take 5 hours to d/l... would've been about 5 minutes if that in Japan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom