• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

and amazon is like $60 buck shipping

SIXTY BUCKAROONIES

why did i move back to this godforesaken country, tis nothing but trash

Quasar

So...when trying to clean up a bunch of stuff I found I still have a few boxes of Amiga games/software. Anyway other than dumping em at my local ewaste centre I'm wondering if theres some better options. Are there any Australian game museums that might like it? Or is trying to dump em on ebay my best option?

So...when try to clean up a bunch of stuff I found I still have a few boxes of Amiga games/software. Anyway other than dumping em at my local ewaste centre I'm wondering if theres some better options. Are there any Australian game museums that might like it? Or is trying to dump em on ebay my best option?

read this out loud and say this fast.

Funny, you say that because, I was looking for somewhere to see in London so I asked some people if there was Game Museum was and I got some funny looks. I finally found a couple of young men who winked and said they go to the Game Museum all the time and gave me directions. When I arrived at the Game Muesum, I think my reaction was 'oohhhhhh.'

I need to work on my accent.

in other news , I was hanging out with a young woman who was a bit homophobic yesterday. The more things don't change, the more they stay the same.

I can't figure it out, but I'm guessing you went to a gay something? lol

The game museum bit was a joke since I'm in Europe right now. What did happen was I was chatting to a much younger woman I was sort of dating when we were talking about kids and I showed her pics of my adorable nieces with their two mums and I was expecting a kind of 'aww' and got more of an 'eww.'

Shaneus

I don't understand all this NMS hate. I think it's wonderful.
Sean Murray, the head of Hello Games, is the devil. Can't ever not lie, sleeps in a bed of money, murders small children etc. You should feel guilty for enjoying the game he built single-handedly from recycled wood and cat vomit.

r1chard

I mean, the game is fine, but it's different game than the videos on Steam would have you believe.
It's not that different from the game I believed it would be, based on watching the interviews I saw with Murray. But I understand that some other people have a different opinion, but geez they need to get over themselves.

senahorse

There are certainly people going too far about it all but I can understand why some people are upset, I myself am a little disappointed about how the game was marketed and shown right up until release and the features that were not present in the final game. Hello Games are certainly not doing themselves any favours by not commenting on this, all of this could have been mostly avoided with better communication.

edit: I should add I played it for 30 hours and enjoyed a large portion of that time.

I'm looking forward to the end of year RTTP and long firm articles on No Man's Sky. I'm still completely enamored by it, ticks all the boxes for me but I can understand that it didn't end up being some people's cup of tea.

The bigotry and hyperbolic statements by gamers would be hilarious if it didn't also come with a side order of abuse.

senahorse

I would love to read an article or series of articles on the development of that game, it would be fascinating. The core procedural engine they created is nothing short of amazing from a technical standpoint and I can't wait to see how it evolves over time and what it turns into. In the end (like any game) I just got bored of it and wished there were a few more systems or layers of complexity, I think it's best played in short bursts (2-3 hours) rather than trying to marathon it.

Shaneus

It really does seem that even up until a few months ago, it was going to have all the features it was previously promoted to have. A few of those didn't make it in, but I don't see how it drastically changes what the core product was.

Fredescu

It seems like the game was basically made for an exploration type player, and doesn't really offer much to other people, but was possibly marketed with the suggestion that it did.

1. It's pretty cool that a high profile game doesn't try to be everything to all people.
2. It's a cautionary tale to developers who want to be open with their audience while the game is still under development. Basically, don't.
3. It's also a cautionary tale about not getting caught up in the hype, but shit, by now there have been enough of those.
4. It's PG so I totally want to play it with my son. Hopefully soon.
5. Bartle types are interesting! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types

I'm finding the whole situation pretty amusing tbh. Both the game itself and the (anti) fans.
Kinda agree

I would love to read an article or series of articles on the development of that game, it would be fascinating. The core procedural engine they created is nothing short of amazing from a technical standpoint and I can't wait to see how it evolves over time and what it turns into. In the end (like any game) I just got bored of it and wished there were a few more systems or layers of complexity, I think it's best played in short bursts (2-3 hours) rather than trying to marathon it.
It's going to be GDC fodder for years

I'm looking forward to the end of year RTTP and long firm articles on No Man's Sky. I'm still completely enamored by it, ticks all the boxes for me but I can understand that it didn't end up being some people's cup of tea.

The bigotry and hyperbolic statements by gamers would be hilarious if it didn't also come with a side order of abuse.
It's the year 2016

I don't understand all this NMS hate. I think it's wonderful.
It's the year 2016

I wasn't super hyped about the game and if it wasn't for the fact it came during a lull in new releases for me, I may not have bought it. But I did get it Day 1 and I am glad that I did. I had a blast for the week and a half I had to play it. It felt much like the game I had been promised and was a lot of fun since it's so radically different from the games I usually play. I didn't finish and won't go back to it, but I don't regret the purchase in any way. That said, I tried to sell my copy at work and there were no takers because that hype-space freighter has crashed into an asteroid belt.

The online abuse thing is just ridiculous. That's something you just never get over even if the devs release something in the future with a much more positive reception. There'll always be the 'NMS shudder' for them whenever the topic of the game comes up.

r1chard

The only thing I'm really disappointed by is that they went with a straight perlin noise generation system for the landscape which meant it's less interesting than it could have been (if they even had biomes, they'd likely be also purely random) but also their planetary scale mapping is a bit crap because that's difficult to do in the face of pure noise randomness.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a game using random polygonal map generation ...

Yeah my son was blown away playing it with me Fred, everything is so smooth. Going from a planets surface playing Pokemon Snap and mining some stuff then legging it to your ship and seamlessly blasting out the atmosphere, then hyperdrive to a new galaxy, scooting to a space station and landing. Damn impressive.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How about that Vita getting cracked right open, Guess the system is now useful.

Eh Rezbit..............................................Kappa

Shaneus

I personally wasn't a fan at all, played like 2 hours and just didn't really enjoy myself that much. Ah well.
That attitude I don't actually mind, compared to the "Sean Murray is Satan, he murders babies with staple guns!" rhetoric that's going around.

jambo

Totally lost time, but we need to organise MelbGAF for the 10th of September.

I'll be over for the weekend so keen to catch up.

I really don't understand what those people were expecting with NMS. For all of the "broken promises" rhetoric, the actual changes in the final game seem fairly minor and inconsequential.

I got a chance to play a friend's copy and the game was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, and basically in line with all of the trailers: a procedurally generated game by a tiny team with a limited pedigree, and, AFAICS, exactly the game that they always set out to make. I never quite understood why everyone got so hyped for it, and still don't.

I walked past a bunch of guys in hi vis vests putting beautiful green cable in the ground.

ishabbeding.jpg

Is there any way of determining whether or not this will be FttN or FttP? NBN's website is unhelpful.

EDIT: Never mind, pleb internet

Darren870

I will be in Sydney that weekend unfortunately. Was actually thinking about this today wondering when it was again.

hirokazu

I walked past a bunch of guys in hi vis vests putting beautiful green cable in the ground.

ishabbeding.jpg

Is there any way of determining whether or not this will be FttN or FttP? NBN's website is unhelpful.

EDIT: Never mind, pleb internet
I think there's a PDF somewhere which lists what technologies are going where.

Anyway, I've got NBN in my building but I'm not switching until prices come down or they switch off copper. Not paying more for Tier 1 NBN when it's slower than the speeds I currently get.

Rizzi

Lexi is helping me put together a new PC next month, the PC shop just down the road from me pretty much has the best prices. You don't have a local?

Nothing decent in Newcastle that I can tell. When I lived in Sydney I had options, but up here not so much.

Jintor

telstra technician popped over this morning and fixed our crackly main phone line, borking the internet in the process. it's been yo-yoing all day now but seems to be mostly okay.

of course 'mostly okay' means 'not total garbage but pretty close'

Life is full of small victories. I'm sitting with my elderly father in a doctor's office waiting to finally get his hearing tested so we can get him a hearing aid.

MoonGred

Ugh, living in a new estate that is still being built really has its annoyances.

Today was bin day, put the recycling out, get home and notice it was fairly heavy, turns out some builders have been using it as their private bin, it's jam packed with non recyclable building rubbish

Deeku

Ugh, living in a new estate that is still being built really has its annoyances.

Today was bin day, put the recycling out, get home and notice it was fairly heavy, turns out some builders have been using it as their private bin, it's jam packed with non recyclable building rubbish
That's pretty messed up! What are the chances of not getting beat up if you go confront the builders? lol

I just played like 150 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles X, mostly on the back of the exploration. Is NMS for me?
I'd say give yourself a few weeks to decompress from that gametype IMO

I'll be in town on the 9th but unlikely to be able to do much. Work meeting tends to run into lunch :/

telstra technician popped over this morning and fixed our crackly main phone line, borking the internet in the process. it's been yo-yoing all day now but seems to be mostly okay.

of course 'mostly okay' means 'not total garbage but pretty close'
'Telstra' is French for 'not total garbage but pretty close'!

Life is full of small victories. I'm sitting with my elderly father in a doctor's office waiting to finally get his hearing tested so we can get him a hearing aid.
Father-in-law got one recently but basically refuses to use it once he realised how well it works lol he thinks he talks too softly with it

MoonGred

That's pretty messed up! What are the chances of not getting beat up if you go confront the builders? lol

I don't even know who it was, there so much construction going on. I ended up taking it out and putting it all in one of the job site bins.
The fact that they just dumped it in the recycling while it clearly wasn't really annoys me for some reason, recycling isn't hard!

MoonGred

Does anyone have any recommendations for free hard drive utility software?
My C drive seems pretty full for what I've got installed and I've got no clue what's clogging it up.

Congrats Parity!
old man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom