• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

gaynetto doesn't look that great to be honest. best part of the gaytime is the outside bit so reducing that part to a tiny cornetto topping is a downgrade!

wait deek when did your name change
this week, been meaning to shorten it for a while

Fredescu

This recent remarketing of Gaytime has just served to remind me how crap the ice cream they use in them is. I'd take a Gaytime/Magnum crossover with the ice cream from the magnum and the flavours from the Gaytime.

MoonGred

I don't get dishwashers, it worked fine for 3 weeks and all our dishes came out spotless, now all of a sudden some of they come out as dirty as they went in, and others tend to have small patches of grub on it.

We pre rinse about 90% of our dishes already and don't overload it either.

Any recommendations on how to keep you dishwasher working?

Paasei

I don't get dishwashers, it worked fine for 3 weeks and all our dishes came out spotless, now all of a sudden some of they come out as dirty as they went in, and others tend to have small patches of grub on it.

We pre rinse about 90% of our dishes already and don't overload it either.

Any recommendations on how to keep you dishwasher working?

Clean/filter it if you can. Something might got stuck somewhere in the drain or where the water and cleaning component comes out of.

Do you still want hagelslag? Haven't heard from you ever since. even if you were only joking, it really isn't a problem to bring it with me the 14th.

I loved Gaytimes when I was a kid. Had one for the first time in many years not too long ago and I couldn't finish it. It was so sickly sweet.

MoonGred

Clean/filter it if you can. Something might got stuck somewhere in the drain or where the water and cleaning component comes out of.

Do you still want hagelslag? Haven't heard from you ever since. even if you were only joking, it really isn't a problem to bring it with me the 14th.

I'll sus it out.

Sorry for the overly delayed response, I get into ruts where I just lurk. I'm all good on breakfast spreads, aldi had a bunch the other day so I stocked up and looked like a crazy person. For as many unhealthy breakfast habits Australia has putting chocolate on your sandwich is still frowned upon by some.

Am I making things up or is there a melb Gaf meet up planned?

You are wrong.

Has anyone had experience with eurowings airline in europe. About to book flights tonight in europe.

well lookie who needs advice on Eurowings, Mr Shit American Cheese eater :p

I flew Eurowings (Vienna to London) on Monday, Its fine since its Lufthansa's version of Jetstar but nicer than Jetstar. Enjoy for the germanic staff with their comedy accents when speaking English. Planes are new and seats a bit wider than Ryan air. They don't serve free food but you can buy sandwiches. Yeah, if the price is right, do it.

Recreat3

well lookie who needs advice on Eurowings, Mr Shit American Cheese eater :p

I flew Eurowings (Vienna to London) on Monday, Its fine since its Lufthansa's version of Jetstar but nicer than Jetstar. Enjoy for the germanic staff with their comedy accents when speaking English. Planes are new and seats a bit wider than Ryan air. They don't serve free food but you can buy sandwiches. Yeah, if the price is right, do it.

Sounds good. Ill be flying london to cologne but for the rest of my trip ill probably just do the train. Eurowings sounds perfect. Thanks

Paasei

I'll sus it out.

Sorry for the overly delayed response, I get into ruts where I just lurk. I'm all good on breakfast spreads, aldi had a bunch the other day so I stocked up and looked like a crazy person. For as many unhealthy breakfast habits Australia has putting chocolate on your sandwich is still frowned upon by some.

Am I making things up or is there a melb Gaf meet up planned?

I have no idea if there is one, either. Would be very nice to meet some people as quick as possible during my traveling. Socialize with the locals.

mulac

so what's the australia tax on the ps pro and how much if any is it going to push down OG PS4 prices

I'm going to budget $500 for the PS4 Slim (tradein my OG PS4) and $600 for PS4 Pro.

Double Whammy!

Now what about an iPhone 7 for me and my wife...sigh.

MoonGred

No 4k player is taking the piss tbh.

Yea it really is. The actual power of the thing was to be expected, but I don't know why on earth they didn't include the 4k player, especially seeings as the One S supports it.

I also can't get behind the design of the thing, it looks so weird and bulky.

so what's the australia tax on the ps pro and how much if any is it going to push down OG PS4 prices
OG will get cleared out this week. Expect an EB email to go out, OG models to be cleared this weekend ahead of the slim next week. Same thing that happened with X1.

New slim should be same price. Pro will be $550 here likely.

Yea it really is. The actual power of the thing was to be expected, but I don't know why on earth they didn't include the 4k player, especially seeings as the One S supports it.

I also can't get behind the design of the thing, it looks so weird and bulky.

They obviously don't see 4K blu ray taking off, especially since they are so interlinked with blu ray.

Personally I won't be buying any, I barely have any blu rays compared to my huge DVD library tbh. Streaming killed my interest in blu rays and it seems a large part of the general public are in the same situation going by how blu rays are getting less and less shelf space.

Jintor

Hrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmm following my mantra of don't buy consoles before games you want are out, I guess I shouldn't actually buy a PS4 until Feb when the English version of Persona 5 actually comes out (and, hopefully, I have a job)

Hrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmm following my mantra of don't buy consoles before games you want are out, I guess I shouldn't actually buy a PS4 until Feb when the English version of Persona 5 actually comes out (and, hopefully, I have a job)

100% the best idea, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Play games, not consoles.

legend166

So why are Sony & Microsoft releasing these new consoles again?

I mean, I know why. The console market has shrunk in terms of its appeal to a broader audience, and doubling down on the enthusiast market in order to wring them for every dollar they have has been their MO for the last decade (see microtransactions, pre-order bonuses, "special editions" with tacky 20c figurines people pay $20 for (also hello Amiibo), always online, etc, etc, etc). So if you can now get that market to buy two consoles throughout the generation you're doubling your money.

But am I the only one that thinks the whole thing is really stupid?

Fredescu

I thought it was just to make sure they have enough horsepower for VR. Some killer app will come sooner or later and you don't want to be the manufacturer that can't run it.

Yagharek

I mean, I know why. The console market has shrunk in terms of its appeal to a broader audience, and doubling down on the enthusiast market in order to wring them for every dollar they have has been their MO for the last decade (see microtransactions, pre-order bonuses, "special editions" with tacky 20c figurines people pay $20 for (also hello Amiibo), always online, etc, etc, etc). So if you can now get that market to buy two consoles throughout the generation you're doubling your money.

I'd be a hypocrite if I complained because I bought a 3ds, an XL and a new 3ds xl.

But... the 3ds games still worked perfectly fine on old hardware. The test of the new console iterations is how the old hardware owners are dealt with. Do they get subpar, unoptimised trash like a regular ubisoft release? If that happens then I'm out on the platform entirely.

legend166

I thought it was just to make sure they have enough horsepower for VR. Some killer app will come sooner or later and you don't want to be the manufacturer that can't run it.

If VR is mainstream within 3 years I'll be shocked.

Still not convinced a significant number of the population wants to close themselves off from the outside world to such an extent to play video games.

Yagharek

Still not convinced a significant number of the population wants to close themselves off from the outside world to such an extent to play video games.

What about AR? In the post pokemon go world I reckon the time I right for Pac Man AR to come back.

Fredescu

Depends on how you define mainstream I guess, but profitable niche at least is pretty likely.

Quasar

Well the hardware is archaic low powered shit thats so behind and getting worse with consoles stuck in the archaic upgrade cycle compared to other devices. Not that I'm sure the PS4 Pro is much better. The CPU still seems to hamstring it.

jambo

Yeah. Some people dont consider bluray as mainstream.

I think a lot of people over-estimate Blu-ray sales, especially compared to DVD.

UK numbers, but you get the idea

https://www.avforums.com/threads/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-statistics.2004986/

Number of discs sold in the UK, by format and year

DVD
1998 0.2m
1999 4.0m
2000 16.6m
2001 41.3m
2002 89.9m
2003 145.0m
2004 196.5m
2005 211.2m
2006 227.0m
2007 248.1m
2008 252.9m
2009 234.6m
2010 210.1m
2011 191.8m
2012 162.0m
2013 143.4m
2014 124.9m

Blu-ray
2007 0.8m
2008 3.7m
2009 8.4m
2010 13.0m
2011 15.3m
2012 16.7m
2013 18.8m
2014 17.3m

It's no wonder Sony aren't bothering to put a 4K Blu-ray player in the PS4 Pro.

Especially living in Australia, streaming simply does not provide as good a quality as a bluray. That difference is apparently even more pronounced with 4K; the streaming compression is terrible, that makes bluray drives necessary. I simply cannot believe they don't have it in the Pro, it's pretty well guaranteed I'll never buy one and wait for the 'proper' upgrade.

Oh wow cool, I didn't know there was a community for Aussie gaffers :O

I'm surprised by the PS4 Pro's price on EB's website, definitely making the switch to it for $349* come November.

*Now to figure out how to swap my hard drive back to 500GB and which game I'm going to trade in

r1chard

I'm on pretty crappy ADSL (I'll never know the sweet embrace of 4Mbps again) with a pretty big TV that I sit reasonably close to and to be honest I think the quality of streaming on *some* of the services is as close to blu-ray as counts (I'm thinking Netflix, Youtube, Playstation-most-of-the-time, Animelab and NOT SBS on demand or iView which are worse than DVD).

jambo

Especially living in Australia, streaming simply does not provide as good a quality as a bluray. That difference is apparently even more pronounced with 4K; the streaming compression is terrible, that makes bluray drives necessary. I simply cannot believe they don't have it in the Pro, it's pretty well guaranteed I'll never buy one and wait for the 'proper' upgrade.

I agree about 4k streaming not being up to the quality of 4k blu-rays yet, but most consumers probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1080P stream and a 1080P Blu-ray.

Hopefully HEVC.265 and VP9 will allow for much better 4k streaming quality.

Yagharek

Oh wow cool, I didn't know there was a community for Aussie gaffers :O

I'm surprised by the PS4 Pro's price on EB's website, definitely making the switch to it for $349* come November.

*Now to figure out how to swap my hard drive back to 500GB and which game I'm going to trade in

It's 559 unless you mean with a trade in of your old ps4?

mulac

I'll pickup a Slim next week when they are out - need a 2nd one for another room in my house anyway.

Not going to pre-order the Pro...agree with earlier comment that they wont sell out super fast so will grab one of them after a few weeks / maybe christmas.

jambo

It's 559 unless you mean with a trade in of your old ps4?

lHl0yLz.png

I got an XBox One S recently and it cost about $30.

$90 trade in from iPhone 4S 16GB
$90 trade in from iPad 2 WiFi 16GB
$170 trade in from XBox One 500GB

+15% trade in from level 3 EB card

senahorse

As someone who doesn't yet have a ps4 I am interested in the pro, there are a few games that I would like to play either out or coming out soon, interested to see some impressions first though.

Yagharek

lHl0yLz.png

I got an XBox One S recently and it cost about $30.

$90 trade in from iPhone 4S 16GB
$90 trade in from iPad 2 WiFi 16GB
$170 trade in from XBox One 500GB

+15% trade in from level 3 EB card

It only cost you thirty dollars and a fuckload of money from trading in other hardware.

jambo

It only cost you thirty dollars and a fuckload of money from trading in other hardware.

Yeah but I spent that money and then got usage out of those items.

The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 both run really badly now anyway, so I wasn't going to use them.

And I got the XBox One back in 2014 when JB had some crazy 4 or 5 game bundles for not much more than the normal price.

Stackboy

We just wanted to give you the full gaming PC purchasing experience.

Step 1: Spend months comparing components, reading reviews and poring over benchmarks until you finally get a full build spec'd

Step 2: Proudly post the specs online

Step 3: Specs get shit on and nitpicked by other PC gamers.

Haha yeah exactly. Been planning this for the last few months, I've kept very quiet. I'm very happy with specs. Gone a little over budget but I'm really happy with what I'm going to get out of it.

I don't know why you'd want to pay $40 a year for any website, but I do love listening to their E3 streams. I guess if you have lots of commuting/ a job where you can listen to podcasts and such while working/ a lot of time to kill.

They are entertaining characters who don't tend to be total man-babies. Compared to most writers/presenters who get name checked in GAF thread titles as if its supposed to mean something, they have a good pedigree as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to take some time to watch this during work today (UK-based so you'll have to find alternative ways to watch in Aus)
http://dave.uktv.co.uk/dara-o-briains-go-8-bit/article/about-dara-o-briains-go-8-bit/

I think I've subscribed the GB ever since they offered a sub. I love watching unprofessional fridays. I download every episode to watch on my iPad at lunch. I find it really relaxing.

I don't always agree with their opinions but I feel like they are some of the most honest guys talking about video games.

jambo

I don't always agree with their opinions but I feel like they are some of the most honest guys talking about video games.

I've never understood people who just want to have all of their choices and opinions confirmed.

I like the fact that GB disagree with each other about games and that I sometimes disagree with them.

It's the same with my friends, some of us play PC, some play console and some play mobile/handheld. Most like story heavy affairs, I prefer pure gameplay.

The idea of yes-men everywhere is terrible.

Recreat3

I had a ps4 but never played it so i traded it in for a wii u which i also barely play. Only game that will get me buying a ps4/pro is horizon. That games looks amazing (visually anyway)..so come feb when its released i might grab one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom