• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The redhead Wiggle is awesome :p

Gotta admit I'm kinda tempted to
ask my wife to
get the PS4P
for my birthday or Christmas or something, I haven't paid for a console myself since the SNES and I don't intend to start now
because I have some PS4 games thanks to PS+ and I don't have Street FIghter V yet. Haven't even looked at a Xbone because Crackdown 3 still isn't out.

Then again, I'm still rocking a 720P television in the lounge room that's like six feet away from where I sit so the New 3DS XL screen is basically bigger and it's not like I play much on the PS3 anyway besides Netflix
The mum from Gilmore Girls is still the best
so ehhh maybe I won't. I wish Nintendo would announce the bloody NX already so I can make up my mind.

Get a new TV instead! Aldi have 40 inch 4K TV's down to $399 atm.

Card Boy

Banned
Get a new TV instead! Aldi have 40 inch 4K TV's down to $399 atm.

I would just blow the money on a 4K honstly. You can get some good stuff in the $1000 range. An extra 200 will net you a good 50". This is at retail, online will have cheaper prices for known brands (Samsung, Panasonic)

I would not get a 4K TV from Aldi. I hear the input lag is atrocious.

I would just blow the money on a 4K honstly. You can get some good stuff in the $1000 range. An extra 200 will net you a good 50". This is at retail, online will have cheaper prices for known brands (Samsung, Panasonic)

I would not get a 4K TV from Aldi. I hear the input lag is atrocious.

It's 8ms but 60Hz refresh which is nice. We have a different model one in the lounge that seems to have similar response time to my LG but I'm not sure what the rate on that one is tbh.

Aldi have a 65" 4K TV next week for $799, prices are getting really good now!

It's 8ms but 60Hz refresh which is nice. We have a different model one in the lounge that seems to have similar response time to my LG but I'm not sure what the rate on that one is tbh.

You'd want a 4K TV that supports HDR and also has really low input lag when doing HDR I think. Those are hard to find at good prices at the moment.

Likewise. I have PS4 Pro preordered but am feeling its not going to be worth the upgrade. I might as well wait to see what Scorpio offers.

If the only difference is going to be that Scorpio is native 4k for more games compared to checkerboxed and it has slightly more consistent frametimes, I'm not even sure if I'll get that.

There are so few exclusives between both PS4 and XBO that I truly give a toss about that I'm honestly considering consolidating just to the XBO as a media centre.

If the PS4 Pro supported UHD Blu-ray then it would've been an automatic purchase for me. Now I'm also considering whether Scorpio might be a better option though. Even if Scorpio costs more than the PS4 Pro, it's not going to cost more than a PS4 Pro + a standalone UHD Blu-ray player.

I'm also curious as to where this leaves PSVR. I have one pre-ordered and was assuming I'd be hooking it up to a PS4 Pro, but it looks like that might not be happening. I'm not sure how the PS4 Amateur (or whatever we call it now) will drive the PSVR games given that the Pro exists and devs can unofficially target that rather than the Amateur.

I went to the Wiggles last night.
They actually do a pretty good live show. We took our son maybe two years ago, but he was too young to appreciate what was happening at the time.

The redhead Wiggle is awesome :p
She is by far the most popular Wiggle. Every little girl I ever met LOVES Emma. Being the only female proper member of the group, all the female fandom is concentrated on her. She's probably the only Wiggle most kids can name.

Plus there's the female attention effect. People, including kids, pay more attention to the women in a group than they do the men. It's part of the reason fiction, even from female creators, can tend to be overloaded with male characters. People think the gender balance of a work is about 50/50 until they go in and actually tally up the male and female characters.

Fun fact: Emma and Lachie (purple Wiggle) recently got married IRL.

I saw the OG Wiggles. A couple of the newer ones were there too. Shit was dope
We have a DVD featuring the OG Wiggles. It looks like an amateur hour cut-rate knock-off production of what they put on TV these days. Even the dancing has gotten better.

Also, Anthony (the only OG Wiggle still in the main group) looks better now than he did in his twenties. Grey hair just suits some people.

senahorse

I think you're confusing response time (time from black to white, affects ghosting) with input lag (time it takes for a button press or control movement to be registered on the screen). The Bauhn TVs have somewhere around 100-150ms input lag when displaying non 4K material, and around 50ms when displaying 4K.

Jimrpg

I'm really itching for a decent Aus new 3DS bundle. The last one was Happy Home Designer, and I would have picked it up, but was waiting for a bit of a price drop. The US now have the Super Mario Land 3DS bundle which seems perfect for me. I just wish they would bring that over.

Likewise. I have PS4 Pro preordered but am feeling its not going to be worth the upgrade. I might as well wait to see what Scorpio offers.

I thought about it too. I could potentially sell my PS4 for around $250-280 given Big W is doing PS4s for $338 right now. So its still an extra $300 for a PS4 Pro so I might just hold on to my money and see what the NX is like.

Feeling pretty good about not upgrading to a UHD set until 2017-2018.

I think its not a bad time to go UHD... I bet heaps of people have started looking to get ready for PS4 Pro. Last Generation TVs sweet spot was $1000-1500 for like a 40"-42" TV. Then it took forever to get to the next drop.

We are already getting 4k TVs at $1000 for 40" and $1500 55" and I don't see it getting too much lower, because 1080p tvs price also stagnated around there. If anything, if there isn't a decent sales volume of 4k TVs, I could see them potentially increasing the price a little to make back their profit margins.

I really dont buy the official reason, it really does seem like them unwilling to step on the toes of Sony's launch of their standalone players.

Oh man that reminds me of the time my early PS3 died and I was crushed. For Christmas my dad bought us...

A Blu Ray player.

Quasar

Oh man that reminds me of the time my early PS3 died and I was crushed. For Christmas my dad bought us...

A Blu Ray player.

And that reminds me of mine,where it was the only thing I had to play my SACD collection. Sony of course took that feature away from the slim.

They actually do a pretty good live show. We took our son maybe two years ago, but he was too young to appreciate what was happening at the time.

She is by far the most popular Wiggle. Every little girl I ever met LOVES Emma. Being the only female proper member of the group, all the female fandom is concentrated on her. She's probably the only Wiggle most kids can name.

Plus there's the female attention effect. People, including kids, pay more attention to the women in a group than they do the men. It's part of the reason fiction, even from female creators, can tend to be overloaded with male characters. People think the gender balance of a work is about 50/50 until they go in and actually tally up the male and female characters.

Fun fact: Emma and Lachie (purple Wiggle) recently got married IRL.

We have a DVD featuring the OG Wiggles. It looks like an amateur hour cut-rate knock-off production of what they put on TV these days. Even the dancing has gotten better.

Also, Anthony (the only OG Wiggle still in the main group) looks better now than he did in his twenties. Grey hair just suits some people.

I went to an adults only 18+ gig in Croxton, and yeah. Anthony really really focused on his health after he had a health scare or something. He wrote a book about it and now he always wears those toe running shoes

I went to an adults only 18+ gig in Croxton, and yeah. Anthony really really focused on his health after he had a health scare or something. He wrote a book about it and now he always wears those toe running shoes
I did not know that. That's interesting.

There's a female wiggle now?
Took me by surprise too when I became a dad and started paying attention. She has her own show and everything.

Fredescu

Simon is great. Definitely my second favourite. Emma is just so multi talented though. Singing, dancing, genuine ability to communicate with kids. Simon and Lachy are both a liiitle bit stand offish in that regard.

In 2013 they replaced everyone but Anthony Field.

Emma is great, but Simon is my new favourite. His deep voice is amazing.

Anthony and Lachy are the worst.

Though I don't really care for the new Wiggles. The songs aren't to my liking. Luckily my eldest hogs the TV and my youngest has to watch what he is watching lol

mulac

Where does AusGAF sell PC parts?

I have a <1yr old GTX970mini graphics card and a couple of laptops/general pc stuff i need to shift before moving house.

Ebay? Gumtree? Both are dodgy in my experience...discovered MobileMonster for shifting old phones and tablets but what about PCMasterRace equivalent?

KrisB

Loving my new PC. Doom runs effortlessly with everything maxed out.Going to give Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 a go today.
Feels great doesn't it?
I finally got mine the other month.
Doom was the first game I got to really give it a good run on and it was awesome.

r1chard

Need car advice.

I have a 2008 model Lancer ES which I quite like except it doesn't have bluetooth, and that's becoming more and more sucky. Do bluetooth add-ons not suck - can anyone recommend one? The stereo is well integrated into the dash (separate moulded controls and display) so I assume getting a replacement stereo is out of the question (and probably unnecessary)...

The 2600 was my first console, and I played the hell out of Combat and River Raid... but could you really go back and play them now? I don't know if I could, even with nostalgia on my side.

I'll admit temptation is failing. After preordering the mini NES I think I just want to collect a bunch of retro console hardware now, wish I had of kept all my consoles over the years. Gaming room is coming together nicely so I'm looking to add to it.

EDIT: I guess these aren't official consoles...found more on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NM9R6GW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSFGOF6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

senahorse

Need car advice.

I have a 2008 model Lancer ES which I quite like except it doesn't have bluetooth, and that's becoming more and more sucky. Do bluetooth add-ons not suck - can anyone recommend one? The stereo is well integrated into the dash (separate moulded controls and display) so I assume getting a replacement stereo is out of the question (and probably unnecessary)...

I use a belkin bluetooth adapter in our car without bluetooth, it plugs into cig lighter and transmits over an FM radio station, works well.

Stackboy

Feels great doesn't it?
I finally got mine the other month.
Doom was the first game I got to really give it a good run on and it was awesome.

I knew Doom was going to be the first game I played on my new PC. Did not disappoint!

Can't wait to see how Just Cause 3 looks. Love that game.

Dmax3901

So turns out I'll be going to EB Expo this year, first time, anyone here been before?

Also a negative side effect of getting NBN is I now have a useless ADSL router worth over $100 but no-one's going to want to buy it cause it's obsolete :( Bought it in April this year.

Gazunta

The Atari Flashback systems aren't that great. The joysticks are RUBBISH and chances are many of the games you enjoyed playing on the system aren't included as they were by Activision or attached to a long-expired license.

Oh and those MegaDrive remakes are really terrible. Appalling sound and dodgy compatibility. Save the money and buy a second hand real machine off eBay or something.

The Atari Flashback systems aren't that great. The joysticks are RUBBISH and chances are many of the games you enjoyed playing on the system aren't included as they were by Activision or attached to a long-expired license.

Oh and those MegaDrive remakes are really terrible. Appalling sound and dodgy compatibility. Save the money and buy a second hand real machine off eBay or something.

It will be highly disappointing if the NES thing turns out as badly as those. you've crusaded against the likes of the above for years.

So, I took a break from games when i was on holiday and now I've been back for a week, I find I get into Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. This is weird because I loved Human Revolution and
the universally derided Invisible War on OG XBox
. I seem to switch it off after about 30 mins play
still very early, just had the first encounter with the dude who tells me about my hidden Augs
. There's nothing else really on my 'Buy Day 1' horizon till BF1 so I'll keep playing unless something great on X1 BC turns up.

This also maybe partly explained by me preferring to marathon all of Red Dwarf again in time for the new season which starts next week. Up to Season 5
so just before the quality starts to turn in the hastily made Season 6 and the jumps off a cliff for seasons 7 and 8 before finally getting back on course with RD X

Ah thanks for the tip. Will do.

Quasar

Can't use it for your wireless?

Hey thats an idea. I had mine boxed up and expected to dump it at some e-waste site. Using it as an access point would be nice...well except its so old its just 2.hGhz 802.11n.

That said I'm pretty happy with my NBN connection. Tested the waters with a 50/20 plan and its be so reliable I've switched to 100/40 as its only 5$ more.

Hey thats an idea. I had mine boxed up and expected to dump it at some e-waste site. Using it as an access point would be nice...well except its so old its just 2.hGhz 802.11n.

That said I'm pretty happy with my NBN connection. Tested the waters with a 50/20 plan and its be so reliable I've switched to 100/40 as its only 5$ more.

Who's your provider for NBN and how much are the 50/20 and 100/40 plans?

I'm currently on TPG paying $90/m 50/20 Unlimited but it's a legacy plan now. I was previously on $90/m 100/40 before I moved house but those plans cost $100/m at most ISPs now.

Jimrpg

Who's your provider for NBN and how much are the 50/20 and 100/40 plans?

I'm currently on TPG paying $90/m 50/20 Unlimited but it's a legacy plan now. I was previously on $90/m 100/40 before I moved house but those plans cost $100/m at most ISPs now.

We're on Exetel and I'm really happy with them. Never had a problem, but I never had a problem with TPG either.

Exetel has a 100/40 $90/m if im not mistaken.

They don't have a 50/20 plan though so you'd have to jump down to 25/5, its much cheaper at $69/m.

Anyone going to the Coldplay concert in December?

I bought 2 tickets for my sister who was supposed to visit then but due to work she can't make it.

They are for Sydney so if anyone wants them at cost, let me know.

Kritz

Banned
ey ausgaf,

if anyone wants to test the UTAS smoking cessation game I spent the past year making, shoot an email to hgsg.utas@gmail.com with your AppleID or google play account email (and let me know which version you want to test) and I'll add you to the closed beta.

Z3JnTxg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom