• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

I had a ps4 but never played it so i traded it in for a wii u which i also barely play. Only game that will get me buying a ps4/pro is horizon. That games looks amazing (visually anyway)..so come feb when its released i might grab one.

The issue for me with horizon is that now I wonder where the ps4 version is compromised at all. I didn't expect to see underwhelming performance and unoptimised software this early in a gen with supposedly powerful hardware like with deus ex. I expect horizon is going to tax the base hardware.

Recreat3

The issue for me with horizon is that now I wonder where the ps4 version is compromised at all. I didn't expect to see underwhelming performance and unoptimised software this early in a gen with supposedly powerful hardware like with deus ex. I expect horizon is going to tax the base hardware.

Yeh well this is likely with most games going forward, specifically exclusives. Im currently sitting on 2 xbox ones so i might trade one in and get one for 349 at eb or ill just wait for scorpio.

So why are Sony & Microsoft releasing these new consoles again?

I mean, I know why. The console market has shrunk in terms of its appeal to a broader audience, and doubling down on the enthusiast market in order to wring them for every dollar they have has been their MO for the last decade (see microtransactions, pre-order bonuses, "special editions" with tacky 20c figurines people pay $20 for (also hello Amiibo), always online, etc, etc, etc). So if you can now get that market to buy two consoles throughout the generation you're doubling your money.

But am I the only one that thinks the whole thing is really stupid?
Trying to ape Apple down to the 'Pro' tag. 3 years through the generation is prime time to grab some more cash from those early adopters while still constantly reminding everyone that the base PS4 will still get good games. Interesting experiment but I don't think it will go as well as they hoped.

MS kinda forced their hand as X1 is playing catch up in the narrative despite selling better than 360 so far. It was evident MS would make this a short generation (Scorpio is a bigger leap forward than 360 -> X1) since they were behind, similar to what happened with OG Xbox.

I'm on pretty crappy ADSL (I'll never know the sweet embrace of 4Mbps again) with a pretty big TV that I sit reasonably close to and to be honest I think the quality of streaming on *some* of the services is as close to blu-ray as counts (I'm thinking Netflix, Youtube, Playstation-most-of-the-time, Animelab and NOT SBS on demand or iView which are worse than DVD).

Yeah Netflix especially looks fantastic for me. Even other services have improved their programming/algorithms/whatever. Net is still shit here but stuff like Vimeo/Youtube have gotten a lot better for me over time.

Well the hardware is archaic low powered shit thats so behind and getting worse with consoles stuck in the archaic upgrade cycle compared to other devices. Not that I'm sure the PS4 Pro is much better. The CPU still seems to hamstring it.
Sony has completely screwed up the timing; if they waited until AMD had a better CPU they could use in a console, there might have been a worthwhile performance boost to be had. But what they're offering with the Pro is most likely a fairly minimal boost since it's going to be bottlenecked by the CPU (especially since the software needs to support the base PS4 as well)... at full launch price. If it had a 4K Blu-ray player I could justify it, but without that what am I really paying for?

Sony haven't given me any reason to buy one yet.

KrisB

Sony has completely screwed up the timing; if they waited until AMD had a better CPU they could use in a console, there might have been a worthwhile performance boost to be had. But what they're offering with the Pro is most likely a fairly minimal boost since it's going to be bottlenecked by the CPU (especially since the software needs to support the base PS4 as well)... at full launch price. If it had a 4K Blu-ray player I could justify it, but without that what am I really paying for?

Sony haven't given me any reason to buy one yet.
Agreed. It's great for people that don't own a Ps4 yet but it's pretty useless for current owners. The difference is too small to justify buying one. I'm just going to keep my OG midnight launch one.

Jimrpg

So what's the price of the PS4 Pro is Australia?

At $499/550, I think I might just stick with the current PS4, though I really want to upgrade it. Big W are selling the 500gb PS4 now for $348... so maybe the best I can get second hand for it is $250-300. That's still around $250-300 I need to fork out and I may as well just put that aside for a Graphics Card for my PC or NX or new3DS.

Still sounds like a wonderful upgrade though for those doing it. As someone who buys consoles to keep long term, I think from now on I'm just going to hold out for the second iteration especially if they have hardware improvements like this which 4 or 5 years down the track, nobody will want the first model because there's less functionality.

Yagharek

I'm just going to wait til NX is unveiled an probably go for that. Ps4 can remain a PES/Rez machine and ill be happy with the odd exclusive.

Too many disappointing games I got excited over under delivered (my mistake for believing hype I know) and my tastes are mostly met by Nintendo offerings.

I don't think I'm comfortable with jumping in early on revised hardware when it's not clear what it actually does better than the last model.

Stackboy

Will be sticking with my current PS4, as it can play all future titles. Same goes for Xbone. Plus I'm going to have a shiny new PC.

I feel like I've made the right choices.

are we saying 560 just because of EB or is there some official AU announcement?

$560 is actually a lot cheaper than 350 pounds (about AU $680) in the UK. I have preordered one on Amazon UK but I might end up just grabbing one in Australia when I visit at Christmas.

Quasar

are we saying 560 just because of EB or is there some official AU announcement?

$560 is actually a lot cheaper than 350 pounds (about AU $680) in the UK. I have preordered one on Amazon UK but I might end up just grabbing one in Australia when I visit at Christmas.

Not sure. I just saw it, 559, mention on kotaku. I assumed that was official. And less than I expected.

Quasar

JBs website have pre order links up for 499 from the looks

now the question is with out the UHD drive do i want one ?

Not I. Definitely will be waiting to see how the software side plays out (how patched games perform and how neo mode games actualky run). And probably by then I'll just set aside the cash for Scorpio.

Axiom

I don't hate the new Barbecue shapes, but they don't hold a candle to the old ones.
It suddenly became really hard to find the old flavour in stores, but I'm not sure if that's because people remembered how awesome they were or they were just understocking. Maybe both.

The only thing new has over old is that the flavouring is far more consistent - but I'm pretty sure that's mainly down to them dumping less of it in over time.
There used to be an entire treasure trove waiting at the bottom of every box once you were done.

I was never big on Pizza Shapes, but I'm glad folks have the option.

Paasei

Well if the price for the Pro is 560 AUSD than it's cheaper for me over there. It will cost 400 euro's here. While converting it to euro's I get 383 euro's

Today I got a letter in the mail saying the NBN is now installed in my area. I check online and it none of the rollout maps or ISP's even have my area as even "planned" yet. How do I even get on a plan if none of the ISP's think it's installed here yet? :|

Today I got a letter in the mail saying the NBN is now installed in my area. I check online and it none of the rollout maps or ISP's even have my area as even "planned" yet. How do I even get on a plan if none of the ISP's think it's installed here yet? :|

Is it FFTP (Fibre to the Promises) or FTTN (Fibre to the Nerd)?

Dmax3901

I got NBN this week, FTTN, maxing out around 2.1mbps which is like four times what we had before. So good. I can actually like stream and upload stuff now.

Jintor

meanwhile my net connection has dropped from 15,000kb/s this morning to 3000kb/s right now for some reason and the net has been dropping out all day including during my skype interview

Recreat3

I got NBN this week, FTTN, maxing out around 2.1mbps which is like four times what we had before. So good. I can actually like stream and upload stuff now.

We got NBN a few weeks back. 25Mbps down and 12 up i think. Soo much faster. I have already found myself buying a lot more digital games than i previously did. Sorry wallet

Dmax3901

We got NBN a few weeks back. 25Mbps down and 12 up i think. Soo much faster. I have already found myself buying a lot more digital games than i previously did. Sorry wallet

Oh yeah maybe that's what I mean... I always get mixed up between the speed of the plan and the actual download speed.

Oh yeah maybe that's what I mean... I always get mixed up between the speed of the plan and the actual download speed.

Plans are measured in Megabits, download speeds are measured in Megabytes. There's a factor of 8 difference between the two, then there's the fact that theoretical max and actual speeds differ a little in practice especially as you climb speeds.

A few years ago I went from about 12Mbps to about 47Mbps now. Does wonders for steam downloads. Mankind Divided in a bit over an hour is nice though the steam servers, especially when you use steam limiter to force the NSW one, are pretty dodgy atm. New stuff or stuff that is suddenly popular is fine, Mankind Divided or Epistory from the lastest Humble are full speed but once I try and download less popular stuff download speeds drop dramatically even to dialup speed. Some wacky caching going on.

jambo

Candle lit dinner

l8HLmfFl.jpg

Gazunta

The redhead Wiggle is awesome :p

Gotta admit I'm kinda tempted to
ask my wife to
get the PS4P
for my birthday or Christmas or something, I haven't paid for a console myself since the SNES and I don't intend to start now
because I have some PS4 games thanks to PS+ and I don't have Street FIghter V yet. Haven't even looked at a Xbone because Crackdown 3 still isn't out.

Then again, I'm still rocking a 720P television in the lounge room that's like six feet away from where I sit so the New 3DS XL screen is basically bigger and it's not like I play much on the PS3 anyway besides Netflix
The mum from Gilmore Girls is still the best
so ehhh maybe I won't. I wish Nintendo would announce the bloody NX already so I can make up my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom