• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Centrelink

wow, did not see that coming. Thought you'd settled here for good. Better job? Fed up with Trams? Family stuff? Homesick? On the run from the cops? Serial Killer moving in next door?

Either way, best of luck.

This means you also have 60days to vacate this thread. You're on notice, ya damn dirty immigant.

For a while there I thought you had enough intelligence to stay. I was wrong, apparently. I hope everything works out for the best back in Trumpland.

Edit: Woo! Top of the page racism ho!!!

Thanks guys!

Haha just onto the next move in life. Going to try and get a WFH gig in the US buy a campervan and just go around the US. If not I'll head to South America and join the cooperate world there.

Plenty of options just looking for the next adventure!

Recreat3

Do any of you guys and gals know if i can use my netfix account while overseas? Probably gonna be some quiet nights while im over in europe.

Do any of you guys and gals know if i can use my netfix account while overseas? Probably gonna be some quiet nights while im over in europe.

yes, but you'll only get the Netflix catalogue that's available in the country you're in. You won't need to change regions or anything, but you might need to look at language settings (hopefully you can get English audio).

Recreat3

yes, but you'll only get the Netflix catalogue that's available in the country you're in. You won't need to change regions or anything, but you might need to look at language settings (hopefully you can get English audio).

That is awesome news. I thought i would be blocked from using it because i have an australian account!

Yeh as an electrician i would not recommend the first suggestion haham go to jh hi fi, you should be able to find adapters there.

First time to europe and first time travelling solo but i have a few mates over there so i should be ok. I will be alone for the majority of the trip...i hope my social skills can adapt. After a couple of beers ill be fine haha.
I didn't realise that you were a sparkie. Electrical engineer here.

*this is the part where Recreat3 and I nod at one another knowingly*

What ends up happening when you travel solo is that you hook up with other travellers along the way. I ended up, at various points, sightseeing with a group of students from Barcelona, a Nigerian oil rig worker and a Russian girl studying to be a diplomat. You'll be absolutely fine. Just open your mouth every once in a while to ask questions and you'll end up with some great stories.

just noticed new egg have started adding GST to orders thro there site ? we arnt at that point yet so this is obviously a crooked move on there part.

senahorse

just noticed new egg have started adding GST to orders thro there site ? we arnt at that point yet so this is obviously a crooked move on there part.

This is nothing new, I believe Newegg charge GST only for items that are sourced locally, if it comes from their U.S. warehouses it does not attract GST.

Paasei

Is there anyone here that could clarify if it's possible to visit the Masterchef kitchen in Melbourne? Just for a picture of the building at least, would be more than enough already.

Was suddenly thinking about that when I eas having a phonecall with my mother. We are, she even more so than I, are great fans of the show.

mulac

Any recommendations for a decent dance-lesson class?

Want to take my wife for a night out and thinking a couples dance class would be fun.

Either just the two of us or as a group - dont want to buy a "pack of 10" though - and ideally around Manly area in Sydney.

Recreat3

I didn't realise that you were a sparkie. Electrical engineer here.

*this is the part where Recreat3 and I nod at one another knowingly*

What ends up happening when you travel solo is that you hook up with other travellers along the way. I ended up, at various points, sightseeing with a group of students from Barcelona, a Nigerian oil rig worker and a Russian girl studying to be a diplomat. You'll be absolutely fine. Just open your mouth every once in a while to ask questions and you'll end up with some great stories.
Im no regular domestic sparky either. Industrial sparky for a mining machinery company.

That sounds like an interesting bunch of people you met. I have stayed on hostels before but it was usually with a friend or (ex) girlfriend so this will be a new experience.

Andd yeh great, the day i fly out my body decides its time for me to continuously need to go to the toilet and feel extremely nauseous. I think it was the maccas i ate around midnight last night. Should not have done that...

MoonGred

Loki :(

Makes me wanna rush home and give my corgi a big hug. Ugh, so sad.

Yea, it's such a shame. That dog really put a smile on my face every day. So much personality in those little eyes.

We're currently still on a waiting list for a Welsh Corgi, the breeder is local which is a bonus but he seems like a bit of a character in that he doesn't want to tell you whether or not he'd consider you suitable for adoption until he calls you. That and he keeps all the "perfect" ones as show dogs meaning the litter is cut down even more.

Jintor

impromptu phone interview this morning. thought i blew it but apparently was good enough to get a in-person interview next wed... at 8am in the city, pfft.

god i'm so nervous

Paasei

impromptu phone interview this morning. thought i blew it but apparently was good enough to get a in-person interview next wed... at 8am in the city, pfft.

god i'm so nervous

Best of luck, dude. Been applying all over the place myself in the last 3 days. Hopefully I see at least one response anytime soon. Eager to start working, especially if it has something to do with my former study (camera operator / editor).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Yea, it's such a shame. That dog really put a smile on my face every day. So much personality in those little eyes.

We're currently still on a waiting list for a Welsh Corgi, the breeder is local which is a bonus but he seems like a bit of a character in that he doesn't want to tell you whether or not he'd consider you suitable for adoption until he calls you. That and he keeps all the "perfect" ones as show dogs meaning the litter is cut down even more.
They're so awesome, mine is such a clown. I hope it all works out and you get one!

Deeku

god i'm so nervous
you're getting interviews man, that's good!

you'll be fine

god i'm so nervous

Don't worry, you got this. At least, you're good enough to be considered so it means you're on the right path, your resume is hitting the right notes and you didn't come across as a psycho in the phone screener.

For your In-person interview: Eye contact, smile, don't fidget. If you're prone to fidgeting, maybe have a pad and pen to take notes, have questions to ask (about the job, about the workplace, etc) at the end. Don't diss any previous employer or whine about anything (circumstance, bad luck, etc). Positive everything. If they ask a question where a detailed answer will be negative, don't answer in detail- pretend you're a PR person for a bad company and just have a meaningless platitude (new challenges is a good one).
Google "Common Interview Questions" and then have a rough idea of an answer for each one. You might find you get asked the exact same questions each time you talk to someone new.

we should sticky these. It took me sooooooo long to get all of these right.

I am. I live in the Barossa valley. If you like wine, come here.

Love Australian wines, so definitely will be hitting up some of the vineyards. Also plan on going to McLaren Vale. Will probably stay there for about a weekend to drink all the wines.

Nah you're in the right place, we just live in gaming!

As for sports in Adelaide, summer is cricket time in Australia, but looks like if you're not there at the end of November you'll miss the test match, but if you're around for the 26th of January you can catch a one-day match.

Unfortunately I'll only be there from the 17th to the 30th, so seems I would miss those dates!

The 20/20 cricket will be on about that time in Adelaide, they usually pack the place especially New Years Eve. The Soccer/football will also be on about that time.

The Australian thread has always been gaming side and pinned, because... well... that's just the way it's always been. It was before my time, something to do with all Australian's being banned or something as early GAF was hacked by someone from Australia. Some one else probably knows much more than me.

I'll try and see if we can go to a soccer game maybe :)

New Years Eve Twenty 20 match.

Sorry see this was mentioned.

Also won't be there for New years, I have class on the 2nd of January, so had to leave before that :(

So what's good there :D?! Any restaurants or anything I need to visit? Need to find a fancy place for christmas as well.

Paasei

Tried a Tim Tam today, dark chocolate flavour. That stuff is really good.

Birthday tomorrow, firsr time without family and the usual friends. Going to spoil myself at the Hard Rock Cafe in Sydney.

Tried a Tim Tam today, dark chocolate flavour. That stuff is really good.

Birthday tomorrow, firsr time without family and the usual friends. Going to spoil myself at the Hard Rock Cafe in Sydney.

Maybe skip the Hard Rock Cafe and try a burger at Grill'd. Is Rib N Reef (if I'm remembering the name right) still a thing in Sydney? Or if you want to splurge, go to Bathers Pavillion at Balmoral. Or anywhere other than HRC

Looks like there is a BBL (cricket) game on the 21st of December at the Adelaide Oval. Game lasts about 3 hours, 7.30pm to 10.30pm or so.

Also Adelaide United (soccer) plays on the 26th of December at home, not sure if that one is at the Adelaide oval or their smaller ground.

Paasei

Hard rock, really? You can do so much better.

Really now? Well, that is sort of a shame actually. I've been collecting those t-shirts for so many years now, that I now have 43 of them in my collection.

Just gotta see if I can visit Brisbane and Gold Coast as the only other one in Australia is over there. And after that I'll head to Melbourne, seeing there are so many more job offers for camera operators and editors like myself.

Really now? Well, that is sort of a shame actually. I've been collecting those t-shirts for so many years now, that I now have 43 of them in my collection.

Just gotta see if I can visit Brisbane and Gold Coast as the only other one in Australia is over there. And after that I'll head to Melbourne, seeing there are so many more job offers for camera operators and editors like myself.

sure, if you're collecting shirts, go ahead. Just thought if you wanted some good local food, Grill'd is one of the better burger chains (though they are all over the country). Though there are lots of good restaurants in pubs these days (see if you can get Urban Spoon on your phone).

I collected my new car today, a 2 year old Mazda 3, my first UK car.

Funny thing, I didn't want another Mazda after having an older 3 and a CX5, mainly because Mazda 3's in Australia are lilke herpes, every personal trainer has them.
But looking at what I could get for my budget in the UK (which wasn't going to run to a new car without finance, which i don't want), I opted for the only car that was both fun to drive and reliable, another Mazda 3.

The other funny thing is, depending on what part of the UK you buy it from, it's known as a Mazda Three, a Mazda Free or a Mazda Tree.

MoonGred

Funny thing, I didn't want another Mazda after having an older 3 and a CX5, mainly because Mazda 3's in Australia are lilke herpes, every personal trainer has them.
But looking at what I could get for my budget in the UK (which wasn't going to run to a new car without finance, which i don't want), I opted for the only car that was both fun to drive and reliable, another Mazda 3.

The other funny thing is, depending on what part of the UK you buy it from, it's known as a Mazda Three, a Mazda Free or a Mazda Tree.

Good job keeping up the Augaf Mazda 3 tradition!

You've been to 43 different hard rock cafes?

Stackboy

I own a Mazda 3.........and it suits me perfectly! It says "I'm a mid 30's married male without kids!" and that's what I want the world to know.

Gazunta

Some of the hacks are downright useful. It's annoying that the wife can't use the touchscreen while I'm driving, for example, and the hack to get around that would be great to use.

Do I want a PS4 Pro? I have yet to get any PS4. Or any current gen machine that isn't a handheld. Heck until last weekend we didn't even a 1080p television in the house so I have been kind of out of it. Mainly been playing on PC, 3DS, Vita and iOS. But the wife is after birthday ideas, and I can't think of much else.

Some of the hacks are downright useful. It's annoying that the wife can't use the touchscreen while I'm driving, for example, and the hack to get around that would be great to use.

Do I want a PS4 Pro? I have yet to get any PS4. Or any current gen machine that isn't a handheld. Heck until last weekend we didn't even a 1080p television in the house so I have been kind of out of it. Mainly been playing on PC, 3DS, Vita and iOS. But the wife is after birthday ideas, and I can't think of much else.

PS4 Slim? Apple TV 4 (great streaming box, love the remote and the voice recognition)
realistically, you might even want to look at a cheap X1 or X1S since you could play your backwards compat 360 titles. or maybe the best thing to get you would be
half a dozen surface pro power adaptors

but whatever you end up with, you need to play Inside.

also: I picked up Bioshock Collection yesterday, the game is still great. remaster has a few issues that I hope get patched quickly but it still plays wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom