• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was close, booked a groupon pizza making 2 hour course for the wife and I. Instructors gonna be all fancy and shit, I'm going to ask if the pineapple goes on before cooking just for shits and giggles.

LOL. What a terrible article.

Love this comment:

Perfect. What a twat, so tired of political soapboxing. I barely give a flying fuck about your review of Forza, why would I care about your political views? Poor or non existing editing/vetting on that site.

Soooo I got a job

Big congrats!

I've hit 40 today, the day actually arrived. Hug me. Off to the house builder today, contracts day on my bday. We're knocking down our existing main house and start of next year building a brand new double storey. Excited and scared, we have to live with the olds for about 4 months, likely turn into 6 knowing how builders go.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Perfect. What a twat, so tired of political soapboxing. I barely give a flying fuck about your review of Forza, why would I care about your political views? Poor or non existing editing/vetting on that site.
Yeah - I just don't see the need to bring in political stuff or make people feel guilty about something or other. I don't feel like I don't 'deserve' something stylised or idealised like FH3, because I'm not a horrible bigot that votes for people like Abbott or Hanson or whatever. Stop ruining my games! .. end rant.

Jintor

Disclaimer: I worked with James before

I don't think the structure of the article was great but grappling with the reasons why an idealised version of your country might make you feel weird is a legit thing to explore

Ollie Pooch

Disclaimer: I worked with James before

I don't think the structure of the article was great but grappling with the reasons why an idealised version of your country might make you feel weird is a legit thing to explore
I get that, but why a videogame of all things, though, to make you question that... they're just landscapes to drive through.

senahorse

I personally think he could have chosen a better game, than a driving game to launch discussion from, but I guess there aren't many to choose from.

Fredescu

I liked this article. The author is clearly explaining his personal experience with the game and not saying the game did the wrong thing. The headline is shitty, but that's headlines for you.

I haven't played the game, but the article resonated with me. I think a depiction of a hopeful positive Australia would make me feel the same way. Sort of, hey this is how the world kind of felt when I was a kid. Now that I am more aware of the shitty side of things, it would kind of feel like reality was whitewashed into a commercial.

The dude does make it clear that the game shouldn't be different. You can't expect a racing game to make a political statement. But it's also interesting to put the depiction of your country into the context of your own knowledge and then explain the emotions that result. As Australians we don't get to experience this very often.

Ollie Pooch

Wouldn't driving through a representation of your country make you think about your country a bit?
I think I've just misinterpreted the article. I appreciate him sharing what it made him feel, I just thought he was trying to make a point rather than an observation (which is fine).

It's probably the headline that annoyed me.

Fredescu

It's probably the headline that annoyed me.

Yeah they'll do that. I'm not sure if it's the case here, but often the author doesn't choose their headline. Editors will often deliberately choose a provocative one for clicks. I just assume this is always the case and try to ignore the headline itself.

Seems pretty weird and out of place to me. Do you expect the same levels of realism and politicising from other media? Movies, music, print, tv, adverts, radio etc. It's all hyper-based for artistic or impact reasons.

To me I want to play a game that makes me feel good. If I wanted to be involved with politics I wouldn't be gaming. I'm just happy there's so many Aussie details, I bought the launch Forza, skipped the second X1 installment but now I'll jump back in for the Aussie and Halo Warthog.

If the game was political and had a refugee camp I was racing around I doubt I'd buy the game TBH. Maybe we should be racing around Cronulla fights? Seriously what are y'all advocating about this article and game exactly? It's a piece to promote clicks to me, no real depth to it for a discussion jump off point. I'd rather discuss developers going the extra mile for Aussie inclusions than our political climate, yet again.

Let us not follow America in this trend of everything turning political.

Jintor

Half - well, most of - the criticism is about "bringing politics into gaming". Don't you think the presentation of an idealised vision of Australia is itself inherently political? Just because it's not explicit doesn't mean it's values neutral.

It's about this writer's reaction and that's acknowledged in the article. It's not a call to arms or something.

Ollie Pooch

Seems pretty weird and out of place to me. Do you expect the same levels of realism and politicising from other media? Movies, music, print, tv, adverts, radio etc. It's all hyper-based for artistic or impact reasons.
On re-reading he does actually acknowledge this - the article was more a recollection of his feelings playing it, rather than a critique/approval of how they presented it. It is definitely the headline that gives the feeling that you're supposed to feel a certain way or feel ashamed. To be honest there's really not much discussion to be had over it, as you say - it's just stylised IMO.

I'll agree Australia has a miserable level of intelligent discourse and an embarrassing political climate at the moment.
Half - well, most of - the criticism is about "bringing politics into gaming". Don't you think the presentation of an idealised vision of Australia is itself inherently political? Just because it's not explicit doesn't mean it's values neutral.

It's about this writer's reaction and that's acknowledged in the article. It's not a call to arms or something.
As someone who creates stuff digitally I'm sure the artists working on this game wanted something photo-real/beautiful rather than omitting or including stuff for political reasons. Boil the Australian natural landscape down to its (visual) essence and put it on screen.

I don't think the developers had political thoughts of any kind when making the game at all. Anything they did was likely decisions based around resources, finances, visual design or gameplay reasons.

On re-reading he does actually acknowledge this - the article was more a recollection of his feelings playing it, rather than a critique/approval of how they presented it. It is definitely the headline that gives the feeling that you're supposed to feel a certain way or feel ashamed.

I'll agree Australia has a miserable level of intelligent discourse and an embarrassing political climate at the moment.

Perhaps I'm in the same boat, the article and headline put me on the back foot.

senahorse

What in the presentation is wrong about Forza Horizon 3 though? It has you driving through very beautiful places, which, exist. It doesn't make any commentary about the people/politics/living conditions one way or another. It's basically a festival with race fans watching you drive around a city (think Indy) or has you driving through mountains and fields. Maybe I am missing something here.

Also :(

Sports commentator and former Australian Test cricketer Max Walker has died aged 68, after a two-year battle with cancer. 
Sporting greats and media personalities have taken to Twitter to pay tribute, after his death was confirmed this morning.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...aged-68/ar-BBwIgIw?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartanntp

Jintor

It's not really about being "wrong" about something; it's the reality it chooses to present. We all have images of countries and places built up by media depictions, often mutually self reinforcing. When you think about the middle East, do you think about conflict zones, quiet suburbs, ruined buildings or beautiful parks? Forza is a luxury carracing game so naturally it wants to show off the glossy pamphlet tourism version of Australia - which is fine. the author isn't calling for Forza to insert detention camps or whatever, but he is saying that the idealised presentation in the game makes him proud of Australia and then he has a visceral reaction against his own sense of pride in his country.

Fredescu

What in the presentation is wrong about Forza Horizon 3 though?

Nothing. He even says so:

"To be clear: Forza Horizon 3 does not need to depict any of the things I've just listed, and going down the road the developers did – creating a hopeful and beautiful version of Australia for their extremely fun racing game – was, from a commercial standpoint at the very least, the absolute right thing to do. "

The article is about him experiencing a positive and beautiful depiction of his country, and the way this made him feel in light of his personal beliefs.

I mean this is the whole point of artistic criticism. How did a piece of work make the viewer/player feel? And it's super interesting to explore. This is definitely not a question of right or wrong.

Jintor

My job interviewer (who was the founder of the company ) seemed to delight in trolling me throughout the interview. He finished by asking whether the Americans were right to nuke Japan and then the other interviewer (his partner) rolled her eyes at him and told him to stop freaking me out lol

Ollie Pooch

Nothing. He even says so:

"To be clear: Forza Horizon 3 does not need to depict any of the things I've just listed, and going down the road the developers did – creating a hopeful and beautiful version of Australia for their extremely fun racing game – was, from a commercial standpoint at the very least, the absolute right thing to do. "

The article is about him experiencing a positive and beautiful depiction of his country, and the way this made him feel in light of his personal beliefs.

I mean this is the whole point of artistic criticism. How did a piece of work make the viewer/player feel? And it's super interesting to explore. This is definitely not a question of right or wrong.
Yeah, that's clearer now. It's weird that they used that headline.

Still, to me it feels kind of like 'yeah... ok?'. It's like saying Euro Truck Simulator made you angry about Brexit. Anyway, you explained it really clearly. Thanks.

Fredescu

One last thing for now - Political intent is not necessary to have political meaning

Also it's broader than just politics. Maybe you don't follow politics, I don't know, it doesn't actually matter. It's about games being more than just a thing being presented to you that everyone experiences the same way.

The context of your own knowledge is key to the way you experience video games (or any art, but whatever).

For example, if you liked soccer but don't follow the sport much at all, playing as Man Red in PES is no big deal. But if you're mad keen for it, playing as Man Red makes you experience the game differently to if you were playing as Manchester United in FIFA . Right or wrong? No! Different emotional experience? Yes!

Or to talk about another Australian video game, going out to bat as A. Boulder in Super International Cricket. Wrong? No! Funny and interesting and memorable? Yes! But maybe you don't follow cricket and didn't know who A. Boulder was meant to be, so that name has no affect on you. And it's not wrong to say that it didn't. It doesn't matter. That's your personal experience vs someone elses.

This is why that shitty movement that rabbits on about "objective reviews" is literally brainless. You are not an empty vessel receiving the developers wisdom. The way you experience a game comes down in large part to you, who you are, and what your experiences have been.

A CV should be 2 pages right?

Mine is 3. But I have also worked in 3 countries and have had 7 positions. Maybe I will just summarize my jobs from 2007-2011. I call out some key projects/responsibilities in those though. Thoughts?

Or should I just leave it at 3 since my experience is pretty vast.

Posted it here so you can get a jist of what im saying...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B656_ZrN9C0TWUFzSXM4NXdsNFhLVzhVaFd0ZzlYQW5vWFJz/view?usp=drivesdk

Looks good to me, straight to the point and not long at all.

jambo

Farewell AusGAF

idINVyA.png

Jintor

oh no the structure is garbage not great and i'm gonna whine to james about it lol

/edit better not to be headshots on resumes

Mine is 3. But I have also worked in 3 countries and have had 7 positions. Maybe I will just summarize my jobs from 2007-2011. I call out some key projects/responsibilities in those though. Thoughts?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B656_ZrN9C0TWUFzSXM4NXdsNFhLVzhVaFd0ZzlYQW5vWFJz/view?usp=drivesdk

2 pages on a resume in the US, US CVs (more long form) for academic type jobs can be longer.

Whittle it down to just relevant for the position you're going for (you might have done a lot that's not super relevant to the job you are applying for- stuff that's tangential, or obsolete tech). You also may need to tailor these for each application. Your cover letter can fill in gaps if you feel the need to show continuous work, etc.

My job interviewer (who was the founder of the company ) seemed to delight in trolling me throughout the interview. He finished by asking whether the Americans were right to nuke Japan and then the other interviewer (his partner) rolled her eyes at him and told him to stop freaking me out lol

nice work. you now work
for a psycho
gratz on the cash!

the storm's coming for the Forza article writer, isn't it?

Deeku

my cv is one page cos recruiters tell me that's how it needs to be:/ but i guess i've only been working 5 yrs so maybe that's why

you could probably combine your roles at bofa into one thing? maybe that can cut it down a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom