• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey guys.

I'm thinking about moving to aus.

Specifically, here:

UTkYtMS.png

Thoughts?

Darren870

Looks good to me, straight to the point and not long at all.

Cheers

Agreed, you have a lot of experience, may as well show it off

Thanks!

Elon Musk

His creativity is low, pathetic

2 pages on a resume in the US, US CVs (more long form) for academic type jobs can be longer.

Whittle it down to just relevant for the position you're going for (you might have done a lot that's not super relevant to the job you are applying for- stuff that's tangential, or obsolete tech). You also may need to tailor these for each application. Your cover letter can fill in gaps if you feel the need to show continuous work, etc.

Yea, the thing is mine is all relevant to the jobs I would be applying for. I do have to update some of the stuff but its at that 2.75 page point. 95% being relevant, might be able to cut a little but don't know about 2 pages.

my cv is one page cos recruiters tell me that's how it needs to be:/ but i guess i've only been working 5 yrs so maybe that's why

you could probably combine your roles at bofa into one thing? maybe that can cut it down a bit

The only problem with that is with BOA I got transferred to the UK, and worked for 3 different vendors all while with BOA. Recruiters eyes light up when they see I worked for Juniper and HP. Even though they were both joke companies.

I'll see how much fat I can trim.

Stay safe SAGaf. The SMH is reporting there were 130,000 lightning strikes between midnight and 5pm today, and wind gusts up to 104 km/h. They're also saying that power to most of the state might not be restored until 5 AM tomorrow.

jambo

Was crazy getting out of the CBD, all traffic lights were out and there were only a limited number of cops doing traffic control at major intersections.

No power for the entire 20 minute drive to my parents place, but when I left there and drove home there was power from Flagstaff Hill southwards.

Got home to lights and heater and most importantly the baby monitor!

It would suggest coming to a more Southern state unless you have a particular reason to go there in particular.

Racism?

Gazunta

Yikes, SA-GAF, yiiiiiikes. Hope you charged up your 3DS and Vitas ><

Hey Jintor - first off congrats! Secondly - after living with a legal secretary or two, the one piece of advice I can pass on is be prepared to have people tell you their life stories like, on an hourly basis. These are usually not good stories. They are usually shitty stories involving terrible people. There's nothing wrong with needing someone to talk to to decompress afterwards, and by someone I mean a person not a bottle :p

Also! 50+ hours left on my Kickstarter, and I'm doing a new stretch goal: a new story called PETER MOLYNEUX STOLE MY TAXI AND IT TOOK ME SEVEN YEARS TO GET MY REVENGE!

Jintor

thanks for the grats, nervous about working. I need any documentation for admin junk besides tax file number and bank account?

Jintor

Nah James will just shrug it off

if you write on the internet the trollstorm is inevitable. Doesn't really matter what for, at some point you'll piss off a sizable contingent of idiots

Paasei

Might check out Brisbane for a few days soon. Managed to meet a local that lives there and I can stay for free. Such a nice offer. Would also allow me to visit Gold Coast which should be nearby (right?), and get #44 of the t-shirt collection.

Anyone from there with tips to do/see would be appreciated. Meet up would be great too, ofcourse. Your call

Dryk

I'm learning a lot about how the electricity grid is stabilised right now. It's a pity reporters aren't doing the same.

Recreat3

Might check out Brisbane for a few days soon. Managed to meet a local that lives there and I can stay for free. Such a nice offer. Would also allow me to visit Gold Coast which should be nearby (right?), and get #44 of the t-shirt collection.

Anyone from there with tips to do/see would be appreciated. Meet up would be great too, ofcourse. Your call

Brisbane is cool. Fortitude valley is and interesting place with plenty of bars and restaurants. I never liked the gold coast. Its very touristy and i imagine the food there isnt great apart from a few select restaurants. Just like darling harbour. Its all over priced and mediocre

Yeah less then an hours drive.

Go to the beach, just make sure you swim between the flags.

Hard rock is in surfers paradise which is the tourist hub. If you went a little further south down to Burleigh heads there's a great cafe called paddock bakery. Also very pretty and you can walk along the coast line.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I lost phone signal by 7pm. I can live without power for a bit but damn not being able to call anyone was horrific. Didn't come back on til 4am.

jambo

Our signal was a bit all over the place.

Mostly stuck to FB Messenger to keep up with the family.

Some got power at 7.30 like us and others had to wait until early morning.

Work was fun, 5 different people asking you when the server will be back up the moment I walk through the door, and then hovering around while I'm standing in the server room making sure it's all turning on properly.

N0VAM0D

Gold Coast is definitely close enough, but it's honestly only good for the beach and a few nice walks. Heaps touristy and bogan from my experience. Brisbane, on the other hand, can be really fun. The local music scene is heaps mad. If you're wanting to check out local gigs or just want a nice night out and meet people, check out Society of Sound's website for weekly gig updates.

I'm heading north myself actually, to Yamba for a week! Just went past Coffs Harbour, so we aren't too far off now. Anyone been?

Work was fun, 5 different people asking you when the server will be back up the moment I walk through the door
raw

You mean you didn't abandon your family, head out while there was a natural disaster, and make sure the servers were OK and primed for when everyone eventually returned? Shame on you.

jambo

You mean you didn't abandon your family, head out while there was a natural disaster, and make sure the servers were OK and primed for when everyone eventually returned? Shame on you.

Someone at work mentioned that they overheard one of the lawyers asking why I didn't come in at 2am when the power came back up...

Paasei

Gold Coast is definitely close enough, but it's honestly only good for the beach and a few nice walks. Heaps touristy and bogan from my experience. Brisbane, on the other hand, can be really fun. The local music scene is heaps mad. If you're wanting to check out local gigs or just want a nice night out and meet people, check out Society of Sound's website for weekly gig updates.

I'm heading north myself actually, to Yamba for a week! Just went past Coffs Harbour, so we aren't too far off now. Anyone been?

Sounds good, will keep it in mind. Only "need" to visit Gold Coast for the Hard Rock t-shirt, anyway.

If you need a travel buddy and if there's a train that takes me further I'd happily join.

Having good fun in Australia so far, despite the few setbacks of not being able to find a job and a shitty hostel. Just need to get back on track and start again.

I keep on sending applies and call companies which is all you can really do. Visited some places in person as well. I'll get something sooner or later, I just believe that and stay positive.

Cerity

Man, it's a bit depressing that I can pick out days that centrelink pays out based on how many things I sell on ebay. I wonder if B&M retailers see it too.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

senahorse

To be fair (I feel sick sticking up for these clowns) Labor's NBN was going to cost more than they said, and they had already negotiated to give Optus 800M for the cable network, the difference being Labor was paying compensation to Optus (whilst decommissioning the Cable service), the Liberals had plans to use the infrastructure.

The whole thing has been a complete shambles, and will all need to be upgraded to fibre anyway before they complete this mess.

Quasar

To be fair (I feel sick sticking up for these clowns) Labor's NBN was going to cost more than they said, and they had already negotiated to give Optus 800M for the cable network, the difference being Labor was paying compensation to Optus (whilst decommissioning the Cable service), the Liberals had plans to use the infrastructure.

The whole thing has been a complete shambles, and will all need to be upgraded to fibre anyway before they complete this mess.

Need certainly. I just dont see it happening. I think that was our one chance and its done now. People, especially those outside capitals or who are not rich will be stuck with node or wireless bullshit.

Need certainly. I just dont see it happening. I think that was our one chance and its done now. People, especially those outside capitals or who are not rich will be stuck with node or wireless bullshit.

and those with telstra cable will simply be stuck with cable /P needless to say i wish they would hurry up with docis 3.1 i already no g fast isnt worth a damn atm really at least as far as there implementation gos

i guess it will still be a wili before we see telstras HFC network open to other markets - if at all

senahorse

At least the extra cost would lead to a fibre future, not the current shit show.

Never said anything to the contrary, just stating facts ;)

And yes, we would be in a much better place right now. I was (in the original plan) meant to have fibre installed by the end of 2013, they did half the work, now the NBN says my area is in limbo and the most I can hope for is Telstra Cable NBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom