• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Now you're just being silly. It's obvious that renewables are the evil things described by our esteemed politicians, you need to wake up and get some clean coal in you Jambo.

I'm waiting to play Forza Horizon 3 and it's downloading the 4.3gb patch at 70/kbs. Umm, wtf? :|

UBKvNGy.png

Gazunta

So I've yet to get any current gen machine (not even a Wii U) and frankly reading AusGAF talk about downloading patches all the time makes me not keen to take part in it at all. I mean it's like listening to the Giant Bomb podcast talk about any game for more than thirty seconds kind of negativity. ><

Maybe I'll stick to my 3DS and Vita :)

So I've yet to get any current gen machine (not even a Wii U) and frankly reading AusGAF talk about downloading patches all the time makes me not keen to take part in it at all. I mean it's like listening to the Giant Bomb podcast talk about any game for more than thirty seconds kind of negativity. ><

Speaking of Vita, I said screw it and rebought Tactics Ogre on the Vita. My goodness, those colours are gorgeous.

Deeku

Speaking of Vita, I said screw it and rebought Tactics Ogre on the Vita. My goodness, those colours are gorgeous.
Niiiice! Use the zoomed out view for maximum gorgeousness :D

And yeah I never ended up buying a Wii U either. Like, I came really close on certain occasions but just never did it. And missing out on some obviously cool games never really bothered me, maybe I just don't have as much time as I used to to video game:( I reckon I'll jump on NX day one tho!

Maybe I'll stick to irrelevance

I can't see any reason you'd want a PS4 or X1. Ok, but you missed a trick with the Wii U

Xenoblade Chronicles X is legit. 150 hours in and I still want more.

Niiiice! Use the zoomed out view for maximum gorgeousness :D

And yeah I never ended up buying a Wii U either. Like, I came really close on certain occasions but just never did it. And missing out on some obviously cool games never really bothered me, maybe I just don't have as much time as I used to to video game:( I reckon I'll jump on NX day one tho!
This conversation caused me to bite on a 64GB Vita memory card from YesAsia for $114. In terms of Vita memory cards, the value for money can't be beat, but geez, over a hundo for 64GB?

I hope I don't regret this.

So I've yet to get any current gen machine (not even a Wii U) and frankly reading AusGAF talk about downloading patches all the time makes me not keen to take part in it at all.
Patches on consoles are a double edged sword; they do definitely mean that shortcuts are taken in development with the attitude being that they'll just fix everything later.

But some games do genuinely improve over time through patching, in ways that a game never could have in the past: in the Witcher 3 they made big performance improvements bit by bit over a long period of time, and they even overhauled the entire inventory interface, and it's way better now.

Contrast that with games like Mercenaries on the PS2, where firing the shotgun never made a noise, and that bug could never be patched out. No PS2 player was ever able to really play that game using the shotgun, which sucks.

The consoles do have good automated patching systems though, provided you have decent speed internet and decent caps.

Rowlet

Banned
This may be off topic: but is there actually a legit way to play Sims Tower on a windows 10 computer? I'm willing to buy the game if it is even possible.

Thanks. :)

We played a shit load of Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker, but not much else. Really hoping there'll be a load of good launch titles for the NX.

Son & I were super disappointed with 3D World, he loved Galaxy & the Wii NSMB (we didn't get into WiiU NSMB either for some reason).
Mario Kart 8 got an insane amount of play time but at the end of the day most of us were/are burnt out on Mario Kart after the Wii one was still being played to death at family gatherings (even that died out and no one asks to break out the Wii for probably 12+ months now oddly enough). Still the game that makes my WiiU worth buying without a doubt.
My son actually really didn't like Mario Maker, thought it was too restrictive and would rather play Minecraft or Simwhatever. I played a few hours but lost interest quickly.

Keen to kick into LEGO Undercover once everything settles down, he wasn't overly interested in the 3DS version but that was apparently garbage.

jambo

If I hadn't already played Minecraft for years on PC, I probably would have played it heaps on XBone and Wii U.

If I hadn't already played Minecraft for years on PC, I probably would have played it heaps on XBone and Wii U.

I can't believe how popular the mobile version is. I can barely control it on tablet yet all the kids are fluid as fuck on it lol. They are happy to make do with whatever they can get I guess, very impressive and wish I had that kind of focus.

Recreat3

Ausgaf i lost my passport im so stressed and its a public holiday in germany so nothing is open. Cant ring the embassy and the police told me i cant report lost stuff. Only if its stolen. WTF?

Ausgaf i lost my passport im so stressed and its a public holiday in germany so nothing is open. Cant ring the embassy and the police told me i cant report lost stuff. Only if its stolen. WTF?

ok, let's keep cool.

when do you need your passport next?

also, are you absolutely sure its lost rather than stolen,you didn't give it to someone (like a hotel clerk) or put it in a hotel room safe? have you retraced your steps, checked lost and found, etc

ugh office chairs

payed 80 bucks for one of those not very comfortable ( cant recall brand) on clearance at office works a few years ago , some how got about 5+ years out of the fake leather using the thing for 6+ hours per day ( after hours gaming and surfing)

fast forward to 2013 ended up getting one of those Bathurst Racer/humming bird chairs which started to flake after 6 months

chairs comfortable so held on to and i figure nows probably a good time to replace it

keep hearing about alot of these high end chairs but its still PU leather /:

almost tempted to pick up a car seat and fashion it in to something worth using lol

Recreat3

ok, let's keep cool.

when do you need your passport next?

also, are you absolutely sure its lost rather than stolen,you didn't give it to someone (like a hotel clerk) or put it in a hotel room safe? have you retraced your steps, checked lost and found, etc
I took it with me in my bag go the festival got the tram home and then must have left it on the tram. I havent been able to contact the company yet because its a public holiday. Ill ring them tomorrow and see. Otherwise im meant to be going to amsterdam soon but might have to delag that.

So tomorrow ill first ring the tram company then if no luck ill ribg the embassy. The hostel staff havent been very helpful unfortunately.

ugh office chairs

payed 80 bucks for one of those not very comfortable ( cant recall brand) on clearance at office works a few years ago , some how got about 5+ years out of the fake leather using the thing for 6+ hours per day ( after hours gaming and surfing)

fast forward to 2013 ended up getting one of those Bathurst Racer/humming bird chairs which started to flake after 6 months

chairs comfortable so held on to and i figure nows probably a good time to replace it

keep hearing about alot of these high end chairs but its still PU leather /:

almost tempted to pick up a car seat and fashion it in to something worth using lol
Yeah the racing office chair I got is garbage. Aldi have a fancy looking chair for $99 soon which I might pickup. If it's crap I'll just take it back for a refund.

Quasar

Well unsurprisingly Foxtel bought up all of Presto and announced its being killed in favour of their revised Foxtel Play in January.

I always wondered why Foxtel bothered with a separate streaming service. I assume it was just to spread the acquisition risk of all the content as it was a pretty half-arsed service. Doesn't explain Stan though, I assumed it was just a content warehouse and their plan was to sell on the netflix at a later date at profit, but they seem interested in making an actual go of it.

mulac

Closed on my new house today.
#holy shit @ debt.

Plus side, I treated myself to an Apple Watch Series 2 as a "well done, screw it" celebratory gift for me - 42mm space gray sport but doesn't look like it'll be delivered till 5th November :(

However...yay for new home!

Quasar

I always wondered why Foxtel bothered with a separate streaming service. I assume it was just to spread the acquisition risk of all the content as it was a pretty half-arsed service. Doesn't explain Stan though, I assumed it was just a content warehouse and their plan was to sell on the netflix at a later date at profit, but they seem interested in making an actual go of it.

Hope they do. And given netflix seems happy to dump all the content aside from its own stuff I hope they continue to grow.

Hopefully this revised foxtel play is better than presto was.

Well unsurprisingly Foxtel bought up all of Presto and announced its being killed in favour of their revised Foxtel Play in January.

hopefully its modelled after Sky TV's Now TV thing. really liked that for GoT. It was about the same as netflix per month if you just chose one of either Movies, entertaintment or sport (or all three if you wanted but yu didn't get stuck paying for sports or lifestyle channels just to watch TV shows)

Yeah the racing office chair I got is garbage. Aldi have a fancy looking chair for $99 soon which I might pickup. If it's crap I'll just take it back for a refund.

fancy ? iv seen those mesh chairs go for as low as 30 or 40 bucks not super keen but then what choice do i have given most things are just PU leather even at the $800 mark ( more then i want to pay) this is for a small office

Hope they do. And given netflix seems happy to dump all the content aside from its own stuff I hope they continue to grow.

Hopefully this revised foxtel play is better than presto was.

see the way i see it is when all is said and done foxtel will have bought up all the local compneys and its just netflix and foxtel standing and after some point foxtel loses

i saw a write up on gizmodo about netflix having problems getting more programs over here and its going to get worse you want to fill me in on the rest ?

almost forgot that telstra dont own foxtel anymore ( the 50/50 share)

so long as nether company are interested in hiring locals i could care less who gets paid for the service

Cerity

Those aldi chairs might be interesting. The issue with the large majority of the cheap office chairs is that they have shit gas lifts and that the back rest is attached to the seat through the arms (this makes the chair feel like shit). The Aldi one doesn't seem to have the latter and not sure about the former so that's already one step ahead of pretty much all of the officeworks ones.

I started a new job today (yay job god guy thing) and the office in the city is fancy as shit. Each work desk has triple monitors (or laptop stand + 2 monitors), sit/stand desks and some form of herman miller chairs. Super comfy work space, shame I won't be based there.

Those aldi chairs might be interesting. The issue with the large majority of the cheap office chairs is that they have shit gas lifts and that the back rest is attached to the seat through the arms (this makes the chair feel like shit). The Aldi one doesn't seem to have the latter and not sure about the former so that's already one step ahead of pretty much all of the officeworks ones.

I started a new job today (yay job god guy thing) and the office in the city is fancy as shit. Each work desk has triple monitors (or laptop stand + 2 monitors), sit/stand desks and some form of herman miller chairs. Super comfy work space, shame I won't be based there.

I bought a $50 Aldi office chair, within 3 months a wheel had broken off and a couple of days later a 2nd. Went in the skip.

2nd hand office supplies can be good. The public service usually buy high quality and some of them get very little use before yet another internal reorganisation occurs and they have to redecorate.

The Presto app is awful, the image freezes and so I have to go back and then when I want to watch again, it says the video is unavailable so I need to quit out totally and sometimes it works and Chromecast didn't work for ages and device limits (I disabled one device for it that said it was a Nexus 5 which I have but this disabled my Nexus 6P and I couldn't use that for the rest of the month with it) and ughjjsjsdfds. It looks like it's not getting fixed.

The pricing on the Foxtel app looks bad. CNET reports the following prices for the different packages:
Kids -- $10 (10 channels)
Lifestyle -- $10 (8 channels)
Documentary -- $10 (11 channels)
Drama -- $15 (7 channels)
Entertainment -- $15 (7 channels)
Drama & Entertainment -- $25 (14 channels)
Sport (add-on tier) -- $25 (12 channels)
Movies (add-on tier) -- $20 (10 channels)
English Football Club channels -- $5 each (for 1 of 3 channels) or 1 cent per year each if you subscribe to Sport (???)

Plus 14 extra channels (mostly news) if you subscribe to any.
https://www.cnet.com/au/news/foxtel-play-december-2016-new-pricing-dont-expect-presto-prices/

radaxian

English Football Club channels -- $5 each (for 1 of 3 channels) or 1 cent per year each if you subscribe to Sport (???)

Yes they were originally free, but after main EPL rights holder Optus started kicking up a fuss about these free club channels Fox added a nominal fee to get around the issue (not sure of the details but I guess they were not in breach of anything as long as they didn't give them away for free).

Anyone else going to PAX Aus this year? Panels etc should be announced soon.
I've got a mate who's been selected to play a medley of games on stage in some sort of competition. He entered on a lark and was definitely not expecting to actually get picked. He's now shitting himself that SingStar might be one of the games lol.

Darren870

Not going to PAX but will be keen on the drinks!

Unless I have to go to Sydney that weekend. Won't know till next week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom