• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

pixel looks like balls for its price

is there any reason i shouldn't bite the bullet on a 6p tonight? upgrading from, like, a nexus 4

Darren870

I just bought a 5x. The 6P is quite a bit more expensive then the 5x and based on reviews I read it's not as good of a phone.

Besides timtams what are some Aussie snacks to bring to the states on my next visit?

you can get Timtams and Vegemite in the US from Amazon or at somewhere like Cost Plus World Markets

I'd also suggest Twisties (even though there's a similar italian version called Fonzies), Violet Crumble, Samboys or Smiths crisps/chips, allen's snakes, fantales and jaffas.

Noice should feel like a big jump from a nexus 4!
I got a LGV20 last week.(upgrading from a lg g3)
so nice
Android nougat is nice too

Cerity

none of you dirty hobos talked me out of it so i dropped the money on the 6p

I'm running a 6P atm, very nice, current battery issues aside which are supposedly fixed on the latest update.

I really want to move to a LG v20 but I'm going to wait and see if they also have the bootloop issues that the G5's are starting to experience now too.

Persona 5 is finally up on EB Games for pre-order. They have an exclusive on the Premium edition which is $169.95

222239_zoom_s.jpg

Jintor

honestly wouldn't bother with collector's edition for that nutso price when it doesn't have a full OST and the japanese collector's edition artbook was pretty standard collector's edition artbook. wait for full ost and full udon-published english artbook.

but jesus god buy persona 5 holy shit it's amazing.

Rizzi

honestly wouldn't bother with collector's edition for that nutso price when it doesn't have a full OST and the japanese collector's edition artbook was pretty standard collector's edition artbook. wait for full ost and full udon-published english artbook.

but jesus god buy persona 5 holy shit it's amazing.

If I understood a lick of Japanese I would import Persona 5 right now.

Recreat3

Emergency passport all sorted and im still able to travel through europe with it. So relieved and excited and also glad i dont have change my travel plans otherwise i would have lost out in money and meeting some certain people.

Now hopefully when i get back to aus and put in an insurance claim it will cover my $400 bose headphones.

Im sorry but i have no idea who that is haha.

Anyone know of any cool gaming/pop culture stores in london i should visit?

Dude in the pic is the German POW camp Forger from the movie The Great Escape

Forbidden Planet in London is a great SF bookstore/comic book store (toys and stuff as well). Haven't spent enough time in London (I'm in Cambridge) to see a gaming store but there are tons of CEX stores plus places like this

http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk/

Shaneus

Besides timtams what are some Aussie snacks to bring to the states on my next visit?
Redskins. I couldn't find anything like it when I was last over there, and people seemed to love them.

While you're there, can you grab me a packet of the small, original flavoured Swedish Fish? I believe they come in big bags. Ta.

MoonGred

none of you dirty hobos talked me out of it so i dropped the money on the 6p

Where did you get it from Jin?

I was holding out for the pixel but the price is crazy. Now I regret not getting that DS deal for $480 2 weeks ago.
Not too fussed about performance, I'm coming from a Samsung s6 and just need a better battery

Emergency passport all sorted and im still able to travel through europe with it. So relieved and excited and also glad i dont have change my travel plans otherwise i would have lost out in money and meeting some certain people.

Now hopefully when i get back to aus and put in an insurance claim it will cover my $400 bose headphones.
Awesome news, hope the rest of the trip goes smooth!

Jintor

Where did you get it from Jin?

I was holding out for the pixel but the price is crazy. Now I regret not getting that DS deal for $480 2 weeks ago.
Not too fussed about performance, I'm coming from a Samsung s6 and just need a better battery

Kogan seemed most reliable

Paasei

Still no luck on a damn job. Can't believe I am this unlucky. Looks like I'm going home very soon already...

Every job I applied for and every company I've called was a complete waste of time so far. Losing it right now, sadly. Gotta get my head straight.

MoonGred

Still no luck on a damn job. Can't believe I am this unlucky. Looks like I'm going home very soon already...

Every job I applied for and every company I've called was a complete waste of time so far. Losing it right now, sadly. Gotta get my head straight.

Don't give up Paas! The job market in AU can be quite brutal, and it doesn't make it any easier that you're on a work holiday visa (?). Have you explored all jobs, or just ones relating to your field?

Paasei

Don't give up Paas! The job market in AU can be quite brutal, and it doesn't make it any easier that you're on a work holiday visa (?). Have you explored all jobs, or just ones relating to your field?

I am trying various things, also in different places I don't even plan on going to. I just feel so stuck here in Sydney that it drives me crazy. Could go anywhere else but then it feels like I'll be in the same situation, just somewhere else.

Played my 2 cards and called the two only people I already knew that live here before coming myself. Sadly even they couldn't get me anything just to support myself.

Left my resume at various job agencies as well, but so far I've been doing their job myself by calling them and mailing my ass off.

I do not give up very quickly, but that doesn't mean I could use a break and some luck for once.

Hostel "rent" has to come from somewhere. And seeing almost everything is done weekly here instead of monthly it cuts pretty fast.

Sorry for the long post, but writing it off is part of getting mt head clear.
And yes, I am om a work / holiday visa.

Paasei

What industry are you looking for work in?

Doesn't really matter anymore as long as there's something I can do. The thing is they want me to have 2 years+ experience in whatever it is I apply for. Can't get any experience without getting a job.

Anyway, I am educated, have a degree and 4 years experience in being a camera operator and video editor. On the side I can do IT or about anything on a PC. Love history too.

MoonGred

I found that being a work holiday worker really restricted my work options regardless of my qualification, unless you know someone who can get you a job.

I hated every second of it but you may need to lower the bar and start looking at call center work, hospitality, etc.
If you ever decide to do rural farm work make sure you don't get shafted by some dodgy farmer who thinks that he'sdoing you a solid and therefore should only be paying you $6ph

I found that being a work holiday worker really restricted my work options regardless of my qualification, unless you know someone who can get you a job.

I hated every second of it but you may need to lower the bar and start looking at call center work, hospitality, etc.
If you ever decide to do rural farm work make sure you don't get shafted by some dodgy farmer who thinks that you're doing him a solid and therefore should only be paying you $6ph

Yeah, lots of dodgy farm/picking jobs that come with really shitty accommodation and board that you have to live in that will take up most of your wage.

I worked in bookstores when I was in the UK, though I had the benefit of having a EU passport.

Where does AusPSNGAF buy their online cards for the $$ wallet?
I just use a credit card, and then remove it when I'm done. I can only ever remember one sale on physical Aussie PSN cards, and that was at Coles a few years ago. I've never come across any good online deals either.

Darren870

1.5 hrs is enough for going from Sydney Domestic to International. Right? I think Virgin should just transfer me on the shuttle bus.

Also anyone ever bring a video game console as a carry on? I haven't since 2003 so its been a while. I am bringing back my OG xbox and wii. Don't want to ship it as it will cost an arm and a leg. I'd check in it, but thats a good way not get it!

No issues right? They treat it just as a laptop if I recall correctly.

----

Paasei, you could try airtasker for quick odd and end jobs. You'd be surprised what you can find on there.
Otherwise if you go to some of the vineyards you can get room & board + $22 ph to pick grapes. It is only a few months though and I think the season starts soon!

Working Holiday Visas are hard. They are really for bar/cafe work and farm work. Its not really a real job type of visa unless you know someone. I was on a working holiday but all the jobs I interviewed for was with the caveat to switch to sponsorship. I also knew people which helped,

Doesn't really matter anymore as long as there's something I can do. The thing is they want me to have 2 years+ experience in whatever it is I apply for. Can't get any experience without getting a job.

Anyway, I am educated, have a degree and 4 years experience in being a camera operator and video editor. On the side I can do IT or about anything on a PC. Love history too.

I've found Casual unskilled labour jobs quite easy to get in Sydney through Agencies like National Workforce. No experience necessary, and I mean none.
I applied for a Cold storage packing job through them earlier this year and that lasted a couple of months, a few days after that finished they called me with more work.

Currently working in a Warehouse and I'm for the most part enjoying it, it can get boring at times but the people I work with are great, very friendly.

Paasei

I've found Casual unskilled labour jobs quite easy to get in Sydney through Agencies like National Workforce. No experience necessary, and I mean none.
I applied for a Cold storage packing job through them earlier this year and that lasted a couple of months, a few days after that finished they called me with more work.

Currently working in a Warehouse and I'm for the most part enjoying it, it can get boring at times but the people I work with are great, very friendly.

Been looking and applying for warehouse work too. A bit annoying that a lot of them require a fork lift licence, which I do not have.

Wait really where? I've been looking for one like that for ages at a decent price!

seen a few over time many compneys have lifted the design

cant think of anywere wtm besides ebay and the like

also AUgaf whats the go with selling things on here ?

random question been trying to sell a dog kennel in trading post for some time might try again but having no luck things made from caravan panels insulated if it wasint i would of tossed it by now

Been looking and applying for warehouse work too. A bit annoying that a lot of them require a fork lift licence, which I do not have.

Me neither, still got the job. I really should take the time to get one though.
You could try National workforce, they got me work less than 24 hours after signing up with them even though I had zero Warehouse/Factory experience.
I applied on their website (or a job posting on Seek, can't remember) and attached a pathetic excuse of a Resume, they called me a week later and arranged an interview. Went to their office at Wetherill park, filled out some forms and watched a safety video, Next day I'm working at ANZ Stadium, two days after that and I'm working Cold storage.

The work can be miserable but it beats the shit out of Unemployment.

there will be a lot of seasonal things coming up before christmas, particular retail and warehousing, australia post (sorting staff, deliveries), supermarkets (night packing- stacking shelves after hours) Bar staff, taxi drivers etc.

seek.com.au, gumtree (try searching for things like temp, temporary, seasonal, christmas, maternity cover, and of course, casual- basically any job that's paid by the hour and isn't considered a full-time job- ie no vacation or sik days))

Look in areas where there are lots of backpackers, because those areas tend to be more likely to hire travellers.

I know you're in a hurry anyway but remember schools will start finishing up around mid-november and you'll then be competing against school-leavers and the like.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom