• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it's almost impossible to use on my phone. Get vibrating ads that take over the browser and the only way to out is to close the browser. Pain in the ass.

Anyway...I'm going to be doing the Great Ocean Road (Adelaide>Torquay) in a couple of weeks. My girlfriend and I are taking the week off to do it. We're doing it my old MX-5 which should be a bit of fun.

We have already booked some accommodation via Airbnb in Donovan (tiny town on the edge of the Glenelg River in SA) and a cabin in the woods near Apollo Bay.

Any suggestions for places to go/things to do along the way? I've got a list going myself, but thought I'd see if there's any secret spots people know about.

Are you best friends with a crowd pleaser? Who is it?

PS: I want credit for not going with a "yo momma" joke. That joke is beneath me. Like yo.... whoa, almost.

r1chard

I'm an enforcer at PAX, so I don't need a ticket >.<

(I thought you'd all like to know, just sayin')
Good on you. Seemed to be some sort of Enforcer love-in at the Alchemist's Refuge on Friday night. Seems like they all get very chummy and stuff, which is cool. And one of them just kickstarted a board game which just released (which looked pretty cool) so they were all playing that too.

hirokazu

Awwww shit first new $5 note.

TNq3q8Yl.jpg

So transparent, so beautiful. Not sure whether it's because it's so new but it feels awesome.
Yeah, it's pretty nice. Never understood the backlash when it was first unveiled. It was too difficult for people to comprehend that it was transparent or something.

Shaneus

Good on you. Seemed to be some sort of Enforcer love-in at the Alchemist's Refuge on Friday night. Seems like they all get very chummy and stuff, which is cool. And one of them just kickstarted a board game which just released (which looked pretty cool) so they were all playing that too.
I'm only doing it so I can get free entry and basically just hang out in the retro area all day. It's what I'd be doing regardless!

Quasar

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Never understood the backlash when it was first unveiled. It was too difficult for people to comprehend that it was transparent or something.

Makes me think of notes I've run into that were torn and then taped back together that no self serve checkout will take.

It was the shitty picture with the blue background what done it.

I started the CoD: MW remaster last night. Wow, it looks glorious on PS4.

Quasar

It might be cool now to hate the Call of Duty games on GAF, but Call of Duty 4 had one of the best FPS campaigns of all time. If they sell the COD4 remaster separately I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Going to admit, the Space COD is the first time I've ever been interested.

It'll be separate by Xmas. $30 minimum I expect.

I think people on GAF really like to underestimate how popular CoD still is.
There is definitely a big difference between the MW4 remaster and some of the remasters and reboots we've seen this gen. I wouldn't expect them to charge less than $40 for this standalone for $80 US for two CoDs is justified for me. I've been going through Bioshock 1 remastered and despite that being an excellent base game and generally very good for me (I only really think the audio mix is off a bit, otherwise it's been fine)

Also the way you have to actually get this to download on PSN is ridiculous.

After I bought it on Sunday I never got a notification to DL the remaster, nor would it launch from the Infinite Warfare page. I eventually found instructions where you have to search for Modern Warfare Remastered on PSN Store before I could find a download link.

apparently when the full game comes out, you have to re-download MW:R though your saves and stats will carry over

Dimefan3

I'm an enforcer at PAX, so I don't need a ticket >.<

(I thought you'd all like to know, just sayin')

I almost wasn't going to go, but decided last week I would, mainly because I feel like I need to make it up to myself for the subpar EB Expo. Wish I had have gotten my passes earlier though (like at the start of the year as I was planning to do.)

Job hunting is the worst.

I'm starting to look for a new job myself, mainly because I'm quite done with the current spot I'm in at the moment, plus I want to try to get back to Melbourne to be closer to family for the moment.

I'm trying to go down the digital/communications path, as I feel I'd have more than adequate experience from working in Radio for 8 years. Sure it's mainly Audio Production, but at least 40% of what I do has a lot to do with uploading to our website via a CMS, plus posting on Social Media channels. I'm also hoping to complete a Digital Media course to give more weight to what I already know how to do.

It's rather irritating when most of what I'm looking add wants a tertiary qualification.

Cerity

So TGG are having 20% off on ebay atm, instead of looking at all the cool stuff, I'm browsing through their selection of steam irons and contemplating dropping $100~ on one.

Is this growing up?

Recreat3

Wow, Amsterdam is such a beautiful city. I know its known for its legal weed and red light districy etc but i did not expect it to be so nice. Everything is so green, the buildings and canals are beautiful. So glad i decided to come here.

Wow, Amsterdam is such a beautiful city. I know its known for its legal weed and red light districy etc but i did not expect it to be so nice. Everything is so green, the buildings and canals are beautiful. So glad i decided to come here.

Yeah it really is. Just watch out for cyclists.

Fusebox

Banned

Oh yeah, Amsterdam is gorgeous and chill as fuck and the food rocks. I could easily live there.

Fusebox

Banned
Guys what's with the PSVR game pricing in Australia? The pricing for the smaller titles is actually in line with US prices for a change.

The US$19.99 VR games like Batman and Rush of Blood are AUS$24.99 on our store, that's cheaper than buying from the US with the exchange rate.

Tumble is US$9.99 which is only AUS$14.99 on our store.

All goes to shit on the bigger titles unfortunately. Res Evil is US$59 which somehow works out to AUS$92 instead of $78 bucks.

Rizzi

Guys what's with the PSVR game pricing in Australia? The pricing for the smaller titles is actually in line with US prices for a change.

The US$19.99 VR games like Batman and Rush of Blood are AUS$24.99 on our store, that's cheaper than buying from the US with the exchange rate.

Tumble is US$9.99 which is only AUS$14.99 on our store.

All goes to shit on the bigger titles unfortunately. Res Evil is US$59 which somehow works out to AUS$92 instead of $78 bucks.

That's the Australia tax in effect.

Fusebox

Banned
The Aussie tax is usually applied across the board on PSN tho. US$19.99 titles here used to be around $39.99 so I'm pretty happy with the drop on the cheaper VR titles.

Fusebox

Banned
VR Worlds is decently priced too. $US39 but only AUS$54 on our store.

Oh wait, hold the phone.

All the US$19.99 titles are AUS$24.99 on our store except for Batman VR which costs AUS$29.99!

No doubt that'd the Batman tax in effect.

Also why don't we have Thumper yet? Had to grab that from the US store.

Paasei

I am Dutch myself, don't let Amsterdam be your only destination in NL should you have the time. It's such a waste to only spend it there. All other cities offer the same stuff, while being more Dutch instead of a worldwide meeting of people who speak English.

Utrecht, Den Haag,Den Bosch, Maastricht, Nijmegen and Leiden are just as beautiful or even better and less touristic so you see even more.

I hate Amsterdam, completely restructured to serve nothing more but tourism. Everytime I that I had to go there for work it felt like im on a bad vacation in my own country

Stackboy

VR Worlds is decently priced too. $US39 but only AUS$54 on our store.

Oh wait, hold the phone.

All the US$19.99 titles are AUS$24.99 on our store except for Batman VR which costs AUS$29.99!

No doubt that'd the Batman tax in effect.

Also why don't we have Thumper yet? Had to grab that from the US store.

Any early impressions for PSVR?

Fusebox

Banned
I won't be getting my headset until tomorrow unfortunately but I've got friday off so I'll have loads of impressions then.

I
Utrecht, Den Haag,Den Bosch, Maastricht, Nijmegen and Leiden are just as beautiful or even better and less touristic so you see even more.

My 5yo daughter gets around Sydney rocking her Leiden Uni tees and hoodies. My Opa used to ice skate for one of the Leiden teams in like, the 1920s or something.

Any early impressions for PSVR?
I ended up cancelling my pre-order yesterday, but I tried it last week at the Sony roadshow I posted about in here earlier. I got to play Into The Deep, Batman: Arkham VR, and Driveclub VR.

The first two were the best, and really showed off the immersion and potential that VR offers. Driveclub didn't feel like it really benefitted from VR at all, because you spend your whole time looking at the next apex anyway. The resolution is rough though (something I also found with the Rift); there's no screen door effect, but the image is very grainy, and very soft. Driveclub also had horrific aliasing (we're talking late-PS2 era jaggies), even if the lighting was great and textures were fine.

There's lots of potential there, but the graphical trade offs to get to the framerates they need for VR are severe. Maybe the PS4 Pro can help that dramatically, but I don't think the PSVR is going to be about AAA titles with VR modes, it's going to need completely bespoke titles to really deliver. At this stage the titles on offer just don't justify the outlay, at least in my opinion, especially with the PS4 Pro being released so soon.

I'll probably end up getting one eventually, once prices have dropped.

Go to Bruges in Belgium. It a fucking fairytale place, isn't it.

Jintor

when auspost is like 'shipping information approved' and then the tracking goes silent that doesn't mean my fucking phone is sitting in a fucking warehouse in fucking melbourne or something does it

cos it's been on the same fucking status since fucking monday

KrisB

when auspost is like 'shipping information approved' and then the tracking goes silent that doesn't mean my fucking phone is sitting in a fucking warehouse in fucking melbourne or something does it

Yeah sadly that means it's sitting at a distribution facility/depot waiting to be picked up.

I had to deal with AusPost daily at my previous job so I'm familiar with the status messages they have on their website.

I found that if you are given a specific date for delivery and your item ends up at a distribution centre early, they will let it sit there until the date it is scheduled to be delivered.

or, in your case, they could just be slack/taking a sickie/have an RDO/ CBF, etc

Jintor

fuck me!

kogan did their job, they had it in a post facility the day after I ordered something at like 9pm at night. But fucking auspost, jesus christ.

Cerity

I've noticed in some cases things don't actually get scanned until they're onboard with drivers for delivery. I've even had parcels have no updates until after they were delivered, getting emails or SMS alerts like 2-3 days after I've gotten it lol.

Recreat3

Well amsterdam is really nice for a tourist. I need people to speak english because i struggle with the language barrier haha. A couple of bands are playing tonight in haarlem so icmight check that out.

I wish i had more time here but i head back to london on friday for another few days and then back home :( ill be back though. Excited for my own bed and friends though

And yeh the cyclists are crazy here. I often forget and walk in the cycling areas and get beeped at haha.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
lol

speaking of for anyone looking for a cheap 2tb external HDD they have a seagate one for under 100 in the current sale

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/269923

so reasons to go to PAX AU ?

Ooh I need another one. Might get this.

Beautiful top of the page post.

Umm. I'm in melbs again for Halloween weekend if anyone wants to come drink with us Sunday or Monday. Or come save me in the Slipknot pit. Either or.

Jintor

lol yeah so checked auspost today and it was processed through a west victorian facility this fucking morning

fuck me i'm not getting this phone until friday if i'm getting it this week am I?

fucking auspost

/edit estimated delivery: monday

FUCK OFF. THE FUCKING THING WAS WITH YOU LAST FUCKING SATURDAY, YOU PIECES OF SHIT.

hirokazu

That's not necessarily AusPost's fault.

As soon as the sender puts the shipping info into AusPost's systems, for example by printing an AusPost shipping label, it'll show up with that. That doesn't mean the sender has actually posted the item, or that AusPost has actually picked it up from them.

You usually get another event in the tracking system when it's actually been picked up or scanned through a distribution centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom