• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sent you guys codes, the current beta goes until Wednesday and then its back again on PS4 this coming weekend.

No SP in the beta Shaneus but I sent you a code anyway.

Played so much Overwatch and FH3 this weekend!
Appreciate it mate, will give it a go :)

Is there much of an Ausgaf community for PS4?

Generally play Overwatch and a bit of FIFAl.
There's literally an AusGAF PSN Community! It's pretty quiet though, and from what I can tell, most AusGAFers with PS4s don't seem to play all that regularly.

Admittedly my friends list is huge and maybe I'm confusing some AusGAFers for members of my social gaming clan or randoms, so apologies if I'm selling anyone short there :)

If you're looking for people to regularly play certain games with, your chances of finding AusGAFers who both play that particular game, and play at similar times to you, are incredibly low. By all means join that AusGAF Community and add everybody, but you should probably look to join a bigger or more game specific community.

Cerity

Can I say holy shit, how much a difference a decent iron makes? I picked up a braun texstyle 7 thanks to that TGG ebay deal. Shirts used to take me 10-15 minutes each and now they take me 5, if that. Granted before I was using a 30 year old tiffany iron that we were given by our neighbours.

Can I say holy shit, how much a difference a decent iron makes? I picked up a braun texstyle 7 thanks to that TGG ebay deal. Shirts used to take me 10-15 minutes each and now they take me 5, if that. Granted before I was using a 30 year old tiffany iron that we were given by our neighbours.

Even cheap irons are great, I've been using a $20 one from Kmart for about a year now and yeah nice and smooth, great timesaver!

MoonGred

I splurged and spent $200 (down from $480) on one from DJ at the start of the year, it's so much easier and has an all around better iron to it.

In other news, we picked up our Corgi puppy last Saturday a 11 week year old boy with a tail - he was too tail happy to use a show dog otherwise they wouldn't have sold him.
I forgot how much I love/hate puppies, they're so adorable but so much maintenance at the same time.
We've put his little bed in the laundry until he's house broken but he's having such a hard time with it, last night he was actually up crying all night. His crate should arrive this week maybe that will make things a bit easier.

Jintor

I had pasta for lunch and I think it's possible that I can't eat as much as I used to anymore.

Also i got a new phone yay

Sent you guys codes, the current beta goes until Wednesday and then its back again on PS4 this coming weekend.

No SP in the beta Shaneus but I sent you a code anyway.
Downloaded the 20GB Beta. Played it a bit. Deleted it. Not sure why anyone would opt for this game over Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 TBH, but to each their own I guess.

Wait, actually the COD4 Remaster would be a great reason.

Thanks again Stackboy. I wouldn't say you saved me money, because honestly I haven't bought a COD game since MW2, but you certainly helped me to confirm my suspicions :)

I splurged and spent $200 (down from $480) on one from DJ at the start of the year, it's so much easier and has an all around better iron to it.

In other news, we picked up our Corgi puppy last Saturday a 11 week year old boy with a tail - he was too tail happy to use a show dog otherwise they wouldn't have sold him.
I forgot how much I love/hate puppies, they're so adorable but so much maintenance at the same time.
We've put his little bed in the laundry until he's house broken but he's having such a hard time with it, last night he was actually up crying all night. His crate should arrive this week maybe that will make things a bit easier.

Puppies!

May the hoovering of my wallet please end soon. Last week there was my car insurance doubling, this week there is the cost changing the dates on my return ticket to Aus (2 days before Christmas so that's $500), plus a one-way back to UK in January (another grand and a bit), a speeding fine ($160) plus dentist, a vet checkup and more. I'm thinking that PS4 Pro pre-order is going to become a de-order

OW- I bought the US$80 version because I like CoD games (for a shrinking period every year, it must be said) and MW4 is still the best in the series (I have replayed a few of the SPs this year). MW:R is by the far the best remaster I've played (I haven't played too many, but am coming straight off Bioshock Collection and R&C). Can't wait for the Multi to unlock. They have done a beautiful job on the campaign. Sound design rivals Battelfield/front.

IW beta, played a fair bit of this over the last few days. It plays almost exactly like last year's Blops III. You might think all CoD's play the same, but the last few SF-flavoured games all have wallrunning and jet-pack assisted jumping trying to emulate Titanfall's traversal. I liked it it but there's nothing really amazing about it or bad. I will still likely to play a fair bit but it'll have to make me put down BF1, TF2 and MW:R. I'm still dirty that EA has slotted TF2 a week after BF and a week before 2 CoD's

BF1 is this week and I think it's time to cancel everything.

Puppies!

May the hoovering of my wallet please end soon. Last week there was my car insurance doubling, this week there is the cost changing the dates on my return ticket to Aus (2 days before Christmas so that's $500), plus a one-way back to UK in January (another grand and a bit), a speeding fine ($160) plus dentist, a vet checkup and more. I'm thinking that PS4 Pro pre-order is going to become a de-order

OW- I bought the US$80 version because I like CoD games (for a shrinking period every year, it must be said) and MW4 is still the best in the series (I have replayed a few of the SPs this year). MW:R is by the far the best remaster I've played (I haven't played too many, but am coming straight off Bioshock Collection and R&C). Can't wait for the Multi to unlock. They have done a beautiful job on the campaign. Sound design rivals Battelfield/front.

IW beta, played a fair bit of this over the last few days. It plays almost exactly like last year's Blops III. You might think all CoD's play the same, but the last few SF-flavoured games all have wallrunning and jet-pack assisted jumping trying to emulate Titanfall's traversal. I liked it it but there's nothing really amazing about it or bad. I will still likely to play a fair bit but it'll have to make me put down BF1, TF2 and MW:R. I'm still dirty that EA has slotted TF2 a week after BF and a week before 2 CoD's

BF1 is this week and I think it's time to cancel everything.
By MW4, you mean Ghosts? TBH the only non-West/Zampella COD game I played and enjoyed was MW3, and that was mostly because because I still had some nostalgia for the characters. WaW and BLOPS I didn't enjoy, and the rest I haven't played (inc. Ghosts).

I really enjoyed the TF2 Beta, and the traversal and map design I found a lot more interesting than in IW. If it was released at a different time of year I probably would've picked it up, but the Battlefield 1 Beta blew me away. I wasn't a huge fan of BF3/4, but I loved all of the previous BF games, and BF1 seems like a tour de force, so I suspect I'll be playing it a lot.

By MW4, you mean Ghosts? TBH the only non-West/Zampella COD game I played and enjoyed was MW3, and that was mostly because because I still had some nostalgia for the characters. WaW and BLOPS I didn't enjoy, and the rest I haven't played (inc. Ghosts).

I really enjoyed the TF2 Beta, and the traversal and map design I found a lot more interesting than in IW. If it was released at a different time of year I probably would've picked it up, but the Battlefield 1 Beta blew me away. I wasn't a huge fan of BF3/4, but I loved all of the previous BF games, and BF1 seems like a tour de force, so I suspect I'll be playing it a lot.

typo: Modern Warfare Remastered. as for IW's recent games, Ghosts was outright terrible, MW3 was pretty decent (when you consider what happened during development).

I preordered three games this 'autumn:' MoD:IW Legacy (playing the MW:R campaign now leaves room for later), BF1 and TF2. I tend to be OK if I only play these games for a week since I find that with my low skill level, these games are really only fun at the start (assuming the technical stuff isn't too fucked). The SP campaigns can probably wait till later on once I'm done with multi.

I find that I can generally only do one Multi game at a time so at least one of these four titles is going to be shelved quickly. I haven't even bothered with Gears 4 yet for that reason (I will pick up cheap after Xmas).

Also, as I'll have three weeks in Brisbane with only a Wii U as a 'current' machine, what's the general pricing on Twilight Princess remaster? I'll either grab one here or from a UK retailer (around AU$47 at current, shitty UK rates)

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

WE NEED PICTURES STAT

Paasei

Started to write a blog in English to keep myself busy and keep my head cool, while still looking for a job so desperately. I will be called later today by a moving company. A guy here at the hostel put in a good word for me, so fingers crossed.

There's always a small chance that the blog will attract someone to contact me and who knows what will come of it. Once a few articles are up I could share the link here, and with some luck som of you guys will share it with people as well.

Could use any form of help right now, as I simply just refuse to give up.

Fusebox

Banned
Bought an Apple TV the other day, didn't realise that 9 and 10 have streaming TV apps because I haven't looked outside the PS4 store for ages.

Now I have apps for 7, 9, 10, ABS and SBS and I honestly haven't watched any Aussie TV for about 5 years or so. It's like an Aussie FTA TV revival in my house now! I feel like someone who just got Netflix for the first time. I'm watching The Block and Aussie Survivor atm lol.

jambo

What's the quality like on the TV streaming?

They all have main HD channels now, so I don't care so much about F1s and AFL being on Foxtel.

Bought an Apple TV the other day, didn't realise that 9 and 10 have streaming TV apps because I haven't looked outside the PS4 store for ages.

Now I have apps for 7, 9, 10, ABS and SBS and I honestly haven't watched any Aussie TV for about 5 years or so. It's like an Aussie FTA TV revival in my house now! I feel like someone who just got Netflix for the first time. I'm watching The Block and Aussie Survivor atm lol.

Why subject yourself to that.

I got a Telstra TV box thingy for free, and it basically is just those free to air catchup services. I've never used it, not even once. There is absolutely nothing on free to air that I want to watch.

These days, I see any interesting movies at the cinema. If I really like a movie, I buy it on Blu-ray. That's movies taken care of. For TV shows, the only stuff that really interests me are the Netflix Marvel shows, and The Grand Tour, and neither are on free to air.

Fusebox

Banned
What's the quality like on the TV streaming?

They all have main HD channels now, so I don't care so much about F1s and AFL being on Foxtel.

It's pretty good! They look on par with Hulu once the quality ramps up.

Sooooo much new TV to watch lol. One of the FTA channels even has Colbert fast-tracked lol, I've been missing him since he left CC.

The Giant

Banned
I'm surprised the amount of people who don't know how to swipe their card correctly in a eftpos machine. They always swipe it upside down or the opposite way and always look confused when it doesn't work. Which then I have to show them how to do it. These are manly people in their late teens to 40's.

I'm always thinking, you are one dumb cunt.

I'm surprised the amount of people who don't know how to swipe their card correctly in a eftpos machine. They always swipe it upside down or the opposite way and always look confused when it doesn't work. Which then I have to show them how to do it. These are manly people in their late teens to 40's.

lol yep. They must've just got out of hibernation or some shit.

Cerity

I met a dude a couple months back that didn't even have a debit/credit card. I asked him why and he just said that credit cards are bad right? I explained debit cards to him, he said that they sound cool and he'll hit up his bank soon for one. I asked him what he does when he wants to buy things online, he goes out and grabs one of those prepaid debit cards. He plays a bunch of MMO's too.

I met up with him for lunch the other day and he still doesn't have a card. He wasn't even carrying around a keycard/eftpos card. Like what.

Jintor

i want one of those shiny new wavey nfc cards. i'm still toting around my swipe card like a sucker

then i can get my money stolen at my convenience

Who uses the magstripe, given that chips have been a thing for the better part of the decade (except in America, LOL).

Who uses chips, now that contactless cards are a thing?

Who uses cards, now that phone contactless payments are a thing?

I actually use Android Pay by default now, unless the merchant doesn't accept it.

Gazunta

I totally forgot I had that Telstra TV box thing for a while, now all it does is record Simpsons. Hundreds of episodes of Simpsons now. Yes I know there's probably a higher quality, ad free way of doing this, but it means when I finish work for the night I can press two buttons and watch a random Simpsons. Yay.

So I pre-ordered a PS4 Pro! I figured 2016 was a good as time as any to finally upgrade from the PS360 generation. I figure I have enough games in my PS+ library to keep me amused for a while, and of course there's a Street Fighter game I haven't bought yet so that's a must have, What are the other must-haves?

Do people still play Star Wars Battlefront? That looks like fun. I like fun and happy games.

I have become everything I hate

To be fair, although the vast majority of machines expect the magnetic stripe facing the middle of the reader, some are actually reversed and expect the magnetic stripe facing outwards. If one of their regular vendors has one of those readers then I can understand the confusion, especially since it's difficult to display the correct stripe orientation on the reader itself in a way that people can easily understand.

Who uses chips, now that contactless cards are a thing?
How do contactless cards work, if not via a chip?

The thing that always blows my mind is people using notes and coins.

Savages.
My bank only allows eight free EFTPOS transactions per month (above that I get charged), so there's actually a financial incentive for me to be a savage :(

I figure I have enough games in my PS+ library to keep me amused for a while, and of course there's a Street Fighter game I haven't bought yet so that's a must have, What are the other must-haves?

Do people still play Star Wars Battlefront? That looks like fun. I like fun and happy games.

The Witcher 3 is the best game on the PS4; I don't think it's in the "fun and happy games" basket though :p

I've also quite enjoyed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Hitman, Grand Theft Auto V, Batman: Arkham Knight, Infamous: Second Son, and Infamous: First Light. First Light was a PS+ game so you might have that. Some other PS+ games I played a fair bit were Helldivers and Mercenary Kings. A lot of people enjoy Destiny; it doesn't really have a story, but it has beautiful art direction and the gunplay is very well done. And of course there's Bloodborne, which I still haven't taken out of its shrink wrap from launch :(

One game I suspect you'd really like is Life Is Strange.

I just found out there's a barcade opening in Brisbane. It's in the valley (the old Shamrock, Step Inn, Underdog) and will be called Netherworld.

15 pinball tables, 25 arcade machines, board games, craft beer. Yes... I'll be there!

We should do a Brisgaf meet-up when it opens.

I just found out there's a barcade opening in Brisbane. It's in the valley (the old Shamrock, Step Inn, Underdog) and will be called Netherworld.

15 pinball tables, 25 arcade machines, board games, craft beer. Yes... I'll be there!

Pricing? I've played a few in the states and they were all quarter machines. No doubt they'll be $2 here.

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit.
airplane-departing.jpeg

I had no idea this was a thing. Are you sure they're not read via RFID? I'm trying to picture what a reader would look like if it needed to complete a circuit with the card.
Yeah it's very common, came in about 6 years ago.

It's the thing on your card that looks like a SIM card. You have to push the card into the bottom of an eftpos machine and leave it in while doing the transaction, prompts you to remove at end.

Yeah it's very common, came in about 6 years ago.

It's the thing on your card that looks like a SIM card. You have to push the card into the bottom of an eftpos machine and leave it in while doing the transaction, prompts you to remove at end.
Oh shit, I'd forgotten all about those slots, never needed to use one. What's the advantage over the magnetic stripe in that instance? Seems like a step backwards given its more of a pain in the arse to use. RFID is at least more convenient.

I've been umming and ahhing about keeping my PS4Pro preorder with amazon (350 pounds- more or less lineball with AU price ATM) but one of the U supermarkets has it for another 50 pounds off (so AU$480). finding it harder to stay strong.

Oh shit, I'd forgotten all about those slots, never needed to use one. What's the advantage over the magnetic stripe in that instance? Seems like a step backwards given its more of a pain in the arse to use. RFID is at least more convenient.
Mainly that the stripes can get damaged really quickly for some people, especially if slotted in a wallet. The chip on the other hand seems to last a lot better, going by my experience at least.

What's the advantage over the magnetic stripe in that instance? Seems like a step backwards given its more of a pain in the arse to use. RFID is at least more convenient.
The EMV chips are more recent than magstripes, and RFID/NFC more recent than EMV.

EMV chips are better than magstripes as they're more robust, more secure, aren't wiped by strong magnets, harder to forge, etc.

RFID I think is similar, but near field that doesn't require contact.

I have a feeling merchants want to get rid of magstripes if they get their way.

Sony store is selling the X800D 4k HDR set for $799 for a 43" and $999 for a 49". Both ~$1000 off.
You may need a discount code from an eb games mail-out.
If anyone wants my code just PM me.

Sony store is selling the X800D 4k HDR set for $799 for a 43" and $999 for a 49". Both ~$1000 off.
You may need a discount code from an eb games mail-out.
If anyone wants my code just PM me.

Yeah I was going to ask, is this a good deal or should I wait for another model to get cheap down the track? Anyone have this TV want to give some feedback? I understand the HDR function is 10bit which is important, but no 3D kind of annoys me.

I totally forgot I had that Telstra TV box thing for a while, now all it does is record Simpsons. Hundreds of episodes of Simpsons now. Yes I know there's probably a higher quality, ad free way of doing this, but it means when I finish work for the night I can press two buttons and watch a random Simpsons. Yay.

So I pre-ordered a PS4 Pro! I figured 2016 was a good as time as any to finally upgrade from the PS360 generation. I figure I have enough games in my PS+ library to keep me amused for a while, and of course there's a Street Fighter game I haven't bought yet so that's a must have, What are the other must-haves?

If it's only for the Star Wars aesthetic then I guess get Battlefront; can be had for cheap and it's still populated. But if it's the game you're actually interested in, then Battlefield 1 is much, much better.

The EMV chips are more recent than magstripes, and RFID/NFC more recent than EMV.

EMV chips are better than magstripes as they're more robust, more secure, aren't wiped by strong magnets, harder to forge, etc.

RFID I think is similar, but near field that doesn't require contact.

I have a feeling merchants want to get rid of magstripes if they get their way.
RFID readers are also getting super cheap for retailers/services, even my father in-law uses one now. They don't wear out which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom