• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

That's not necessarily AusPost's fault.

As soon as the sender puts the shipping info into AusPost's systems, for example by printing an AusPost shipping label, it'll show up with that. That doesn't mean the sender has actually posted the item, or that AusPost has actually picked it up from them.

You usually get another event in the tracking system when it's actually been picked up or scanned through a distribution centre.

Yeah. I recently had something sent where the label got printed several days before it package actually got picked up and send.

Oddly enough the tracking email that austpost sent once it shipped estimated longer than it actually took. So I guess huzzah AustPost.

Quasar

So...whats the easiest/best way to try and get rid of a extensive DVD collection?

I could of course dump em with a charity or maybe the public library. That's certainly less hassle than trying to ebay them individually. I'm guessing pawn shops are flooding with this crap so would not want a shit ton more.

Anyone have much experience with this kind of thing?

senahorse

So...whats the easiest/best way to try and get rid of a extensive DVD collection?

I could of course dump em with a charity or maybe the public library. That's certainly less hassle than trying to ebay them individually. I'm guessing pawn shops are flooding with this crap so would not want a shit ton more.

If you find something that works, let me know, I have a big DVD and Blu-Ray collection I would like to get rid of.

Stackboy

so reasons to go to PAX AU ?

The panels are usually the reason I like PAX so much, been to 2 PAX Easts and 1 PAX Aus and they are all about the panels. It's cool to see local indie games, play some titles you are looking forward to and meet like minded people too.

Plus it's just a really good excuse for me and my wife to have a holiday.

Just got notification of registered post ready for me at the post office, assuming it's my PAX pass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have two tickets to SHIN GODZILLA tonight at Nova, Melbourne for 6:50pm. Late notice, but I've had a couple of people fall out.

If any of MelbGAF is interested please PM.

EDIT: Never mind, all gone.

I did it a few years back. Ring around your local pawnbrokers and see who offers the most per disc. But I have a feeling they won't be worth much.

mulac

Bloody cyclist causing my wife to crash this morning on the road heading across the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Apparently just at the merge onto the bridge, a cyclist suddenly cut out into the left lane, the car that was in it swerved out right to avoid; my wife was changing lanes just at that moment and the other car crashed into her.

F**ing cyclists - of course got away with nothing but now my poor (<3months old) Mini has the passenger door side completely bashed in and i'm facing a 4k fix to repair...two days before moving house.

Don't drive - buy a helicopter.

As someone who occasionally cycles to work in peak hour traffic sometimes you have to swerve unexpectedly, because of potholes (usually there's a ton at the side of the road you don't notice when driving), because of general terror of the huge metal missiles swerving awfully close with reckless abandon (given that you have no protection, this is a fairly large concern), because of the irrational hate for cyclists most drivers have (oh no they slowed me down, better overtake them so close I make them fear for their life!), and because cycle lanes often just ... end, with nowhere to go but head into traffic.

So yeah, it's frustrating your car was damaged, and I empathise, but it's scary riding a bike on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly caused by the other driver trying to pass too close to the cyclist, but hey I wasn't there.

mulac

As someone who occasionally cycles to work in peak hour traffic sometimes you have to swerve unexpectedly, because of potholes (usually there's a ton at the side of the road you don't notice when driving), because of general terror of the huge metal missiles swerving awfully close with reckless abandon (given that you have no protection, this is a fairly large concern), because of the irrational hate for cyclists most drivers have (oh no they slowed me down, better overtake them so close I make them fear for their life!), and because cycle lanes often just ... end, with nowhere to go but head into traffic.

So yeah, it's frustrating your car was damaged, and I empathise, but it's scary riding a bike on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly caused by the other driver trying to pass too close to the cyclist, but hey I wasn't there.

I'm actually a fellow cyclist into work :D but i think it was more the other driver trying to pass and not looking to his surroundings.

Anyway still sucks but sh** happens...not nearly as bad as some of the other traffic crashes i've seen!

I'm actually a fellow cyclist into work :D but i think it was more the other driver trying to pass and not looking to his surroundings.

Anyway still sucks but sh** happens...not nearly as bad as some of the other traffic crashes i've seen!
Drivers eh, they're the worst. >_>

At least everyone sounds OK, not hurt, etc. The money thing sucks but that (usually) passes, with time.

I sold my DVDs years ago on eBay by selling them in lots of 8. The reason for 8 at a time was 8 fitted in one of those 3kg eBay pre paid bags. I separated them into 3 types: good ones, average ones and shit ones. It turned out on average each lot had 2 good ones, 4 average and 2 shit. If you want the good ones, you have to buy some crap ones!

Worked pretty well, I listed the lots at $49.99 buy it now or best offer and most sold at the top price or only 10%-15% under. I even sent a lot to the Ranger Uranium Mine in NT!

I imagine the price has dropped now, but postage is the killer and the more you can sell at once the better for you and the buyer.

MoonGred

Jin you'll hate me for this.

I ordered my 6p Monday around 2pm from eglobal with normal shipping and it was just delivered, from HK as well

Fingers crossed you get yours tomorrow!

Can't wait for all the hold out people who don't want to stop driving.

That will be me. Driving is awesome in the right car and on the right road.

me too. after months of commuting into Cambridge with Stagecoach's phantom buses, I'm now driving into work every day and despite the heavy traffic, its far more relaxing than freezing waiting for a bus to come at 8:46 that doesn't turn up until after 9:30. Or a bus that doesn't have a service after 6pm on a Sunday.

Jintor

That's not necessarily AusPost's fault.

As soon as the sender puts the shipping info into AusPost's systems, for example by printing an AusPost shipping label, it'll show up with that. That doesn't mean the sender has actually posted the item, or that AusPost has actually picked it up from them.

You usually get another event in the tracking system when it's actually been picked up or scanned through a distribution centre.

Yeah. I recently had something sent where the label got printed several days before it package actually got picked up and send.

Oddly enough the tracking email that austpost sent once it shipped estimated longer than it actually took. So I guess huzzah AustPost.

If the tracking system doesn't actually tell me what's happening to my fucking parcel, what's the fucking point of the fucking tracking system???????

now that I'm at work and have time to post (lol) I have to say I live in a very bike friendly town- lots of bike lanes and its very flat. So a few months before buying a car, I bought a bike. I lasted three days since I had no awareness of what was behind me and there are one or two bits along the route to work where you needed to merge back into traffic (scary)plus I should have gone for a fixed gear road bike instead of a mountain bike and I should have gotten it set up (the thing wobbled because I'm guessing a wheel wasn't perfectly straight. I did say "yeah, I'll take it out on the weekend," but I haven't yet.I will one day. Maybe.

Now that its gone
fucking
cold here, though...

Do a lot of workplaces allow you to have a quick shower when you arrive by bike or something? Everywhere I've been I haven't found anything like that.

PSVR is an interesting situation, seems there are some units floating about but at my local EB they were adamant that the soonest I could possibly get one would be February.

We have a few showers in our office, mainly because they built a small gym for the staff to use.

Having that stuff at work always seemed to me like a really dangerous thing to do.

Work at work. Once the hours are up go out and do other things.

Although this is coming from someone who never worked in a capital city which could be a huge part of my mindset.

jambo

Having that stuff at work always seemed to me like a really dangerous thing to do.

Work at work. Once the hours are up go out and do other things.

Although this is coming from someone who never worked in a capital city which could be a huge part of my mindset.

I think the main reason was there were people in the office who would finish work and then go to a gym in the CBD.

This way you don't have to pay for membership elsewhere, or worry about getting somewhere else.

Only downside is it's a smaller gym with limited equipment and obviously you don't get classes and the like.

We do have a personal trainer available though.

I feel really guilty for not using the free gym and trainer for the past few years =S

Do a lot of workplaces allow you to have a quick shower when you arrive by bike or something? Everywhere I've been I haven't found anything like that.
I work at a university and there are some specific areas for bikes and change rooms/showers nearby, too. Most office buildings have showers.

Big buildings in the city often have similar.

I get what you're saying, it's part of culture in the big tech places in the US to try and keep you trapped at work (free food, gyms, etc). But in the case of bikes and showers, it's not a big deal IMO (though I prefer not to use the gross showers at work) as you just don't shower at home if you're going to use the work ones.

Riding to work is great and I don't mind the extra time it takes (about 30-35 mins each way, including changing after vs 20 when driving). I don't do it often enough, but when I do it makes the day a lot more pleasant.

They have showers here and they had showers at the last place I was at. Thank christ since so many people ride to work or go to the gym at lunch. Thankfully people use them.

except that one guy. you know the one I mean.

You? It was you, wasn't it?

I'm told I have an enticing musk that overpowers all attempts to tame it, or breath in.

Just a shout out to Aviva, a UK insurance giant, and their colleagues-in-cuntery in the UK car insurance market. Despite 25 years of pretty spotless driving record apart from about 4 speeding fines and one minor claim, a full maximum rating 1 maximum no claim bonus and documentation to back it up, they decided to ignore that rating because they won't recognize a no-claim bonus if you haven't had a car insured for the last two years. My new car was delivered 2 years and 2 goddamn days since my last car insurance policy ran out. So I start from scratch with car insurance for a third time (US companies ignored non-US experience altogether. Fuck you, Geico too.) The premium went from 340 to 670 pounds (remember, if the car was ready 2 days earlier, it would have been half the price), but I feel somewhat relieved because if I was a teenager with a fresh licence, my car would have been 2-3 thousand pounds to insure.

tl;dr fuck Aviva

that Hard Quiz looks kinda great. bets on its geoblocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjh3I4agw6g

Recreat3

Jesus im really having shit all luck on this trip. My flight from amsterdam to london was cancelled last minute so noe i have to wait around for hours for my new flight which goes to brussels and then i have to wait an hour or so for my london flight. Next thing that im waiting to happen is for the airline to lose my baggage.

Checkin for my hostel closes at 11pm aswell so theres a chance ill miss it..leaving me either stranded or having to stay in a hotel or somewhere else tonight. Ughh feels like nothing is going right. Still having a good time i guess haha.

Cerity

Ugh, I've been ebay'ing for awhile but this is a new type of scum buyer. I'm bidding on an item, another buyer comes along and made incremental bids to both find my max bid and to get me to pay my max. He's done this to try and get me to retract my original bid so he can swoop in later and grab the item at a substantially lower price. Going back through the sellers other items I can see he's done the exact same things a couple times before. You can actually see retraction stats and he's done this around 10 times in the last 30 days and over 100 times in the last 6 months.

Shame ebay make it so hard to report a member.

Jesus im really having shit all luck on this trip. My flight from amsterdam to london was cancelled last minute so noe i have to wait around for hours for my new flight which goes to brussels and then i have to wait an hour or so for my london flight. Next thing that im waiting to happen is for the airline to lose my baggage.

Checkin for my hostel closes at 11pm aswell so theres a chance ill miss it..leaving me either stranded or having to stay in a hotel or somewhere else tonight. Ughh feels like nothing is going right. Still having a good time i guess haha.

The joys of traveling. The good stuff generally out weighs the bad. All good in the end?

Ugh, I've been ebay'ing for awhile but this is a new type of scum buyer. I'm bidding on an item, another buyer comes along and made incremental bids to both find my max bid and to get me to pay my max. He's done this to try and get me to retract my original bid so he can swoop in later and grab the item at a substantially lower price. Going back through the sellers other items I can see he's done the exact same things a couple times before. You can actually see retraction stats and he's done this around 10 times in the last 30 days and over 100 times in the last 6 months.

Shame ebay make it so hard to report a member.

That is scummy. eBay really is a joke nowadays.

I pretty much only ever just 'buy it now' on eBay. Usually importing Japanese Super Famicom stuff or cheaper new UK PAL PS2 games. Just grabbed a whole heap of Shin Megami Tensei for $12 a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom