• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RFID readers are also getting super cheap for retailers/services, even my father in-law uses one now. They don't wear out which is great.

part of the reason it took so long for the US to move to chips (I got a new Bank of America card with a chip this year) is because there are so many giant retailers who don't want to refresh their point of Sale equipment every few years. In Australia, you're used to retailers and shopping malls renovating every few years. They just don't do that in the US. Its weird seeing how ratty some high end shops in the US look compared to a DJ's or even a Target

NX reveal in a few hours!

Sony store is selling the X800D 4k HDR set for $799 for a 43" and $999 for a 49". Both ~$1000 off.
You may need a discount code from an eb games mail-out.
If anyone wants my code just PM me.

WTF?! That's an excellent deal!

I paid $999 for the 43 inch less than a month ago. God damn it. TV is excellent by the way, absolutely bargain price.

Jintor

I'm going to preemptively lower my expectations so I can either be satisfied or hyped out of my mind.

Pity i have work tomorrow, gotta sleep early

Shaneus

I'm still super stoked my Panasonic plasma is alive and kicking. Deathly paranoid that still no LCD will come close when she finally kicks the bucket.

Cerity

I put a deposit down on my first car today. I'm scared.

also fuck dealer financiers. they can all go to hell

Getting my (first) new car tomorrow, it was depressing how hard they tried to push me into financing it. That and all that stupid paint protection and extras bullshit. $1800 on a blackvue dash cam? $6k for paint and interior protection? $1.3k for aftermarket reverse parking sensors I could have optioned in for $500~? I was just staring at the person the entire time wondering how many people they actually manage to get buying this shit.

I put a deposit down on my first car today. I'm scared.

also fuck dealer financiers. they can all go to hell

yes. always best to have finance sorted before you hit the dealer

Getting my (first) new car tomorrow, it was depressing how hard they tried to push me into financing it. That and all that stupid paint protection and extras bullshit. $1800 on a blackvue dash cam? $6k for paint and interior protection? $1.3k for aftermarket reverse parking sensors I could have optioned in for $500~? I was just staring at the person the entire time wondering how many people they actually manage to get buying this shit.

oh yeah. when I bought my latest car there was talk they were going to try and sell the extra paint protection shit but they decided not to when I picked the car up. I have never paid for that shit because it's next to pointless.

Gazunta

oh yeah. when I bought my latest car there was talk they were going to try and sell the extra paint protection shit but they decided not to when I picked the car up. I have never paid for that shit because it's next to pointless.

That's actually a relief to hear, thanks for posting that. All the way through the process of buying my car they were hassling me like crazy to spend the extra $1,000 on paint protection, and how I would be incredibly sad I didn't get it. I had a hunch it was all complete bullshit but I still get a bit nervous about it from time to time.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT SWITCH HUH??!?! WHOOOO

Also yeah with Star Wars Battlefront I mainly just want to piss about with lightsabers and X-wings and stuff. Pew pew pew

Stackboy

Nintendo Switch looks cool, will get it when the Smash Bros and the Mario Karts and maybe 2 more must haves come out on the system.

Zelda is overrated

Oh and RDR2 looks rad! Sign me up to get a snake in my boot.

Yeah. I said no to everything but I may get the glaze protection over the paint job to make cleaning bird poo and stuff off easier. I have a lot on my current car and it's a nightmare to get off. I said I couldn't afford it and she thought I was playing hardball and put it at $700 instead of $1250 lol. Shitheads

Edit: my mum has it on her car and she loves it so yeah.

Shaneus

I've heard that Plasma is still better for motion.
Shame that I sit so close to mine (relatively speaking), about 6-8ft away. Dat dithering.

Do they still make plasma TV's? If only my old LG was full HD :(
Pretty sure that's a nope. Not even as some legacy thing.

Mine gets crazy burn in after a short amount of time for some reason, and can be left with a weird ghost of what I was viewing before, even on a black screen. Or there's some kinda crosstalk between HDMI inputs.

Still though, wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

senahorse

I feel that plasma pain, we are a plasma household, 2 Panasonics, and 1 Pioneer Kuro. OLED's still too expensive (and still have issues), LCD's don't do it for me, so my next screen is going to be a projector, which still has their own considerations but for me, it's going to be the best bang for buck.

jambo

We have a 65" LG plasma and a 55" Panasonic LCD.

Used to be a Panasonic plasma, but after one of the circuit boards died, I found out they had gotten out of the plasma business. They offered us a hugely discounted LCD as a replacement, so we have that now.

Probably going to upgrade to 4K next year, but just not sure if we should splurge to get OLED or just get a more fully featured LCD with HDR and all the other bells and whistles.

Also: We get pretty bad image retention when watching certain videos, or if we leave the Xbone at the home screen. One really bad one is Good Game Pokcet, as they have a giant white logo in the background of their shots, which always retains.

That's actually a relief to hear, thanks for posting that. All the way through the process of buying my car they were hassling me like crazy to spend the extra $1,000 on paint protection, and how I would be incredibly sad I didn't get it. I had a hunch it was all complete bullshit but I still get a bit nervous about it from time to time.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT SWITCH HUH??!?! WHOOOO

Also yeah with Star Wars Battlefront I mainly just want to piss about with lightsabers and X-wings and stuff. Pew pew pew

get the ultimate edition. it has all the cool stuff missing from the original release.

yes, I am excited for switch. how excited? why is this desk levitating? that's how excited.

Rezbit

Hah, nice.
Anyone know what it'll go for here?

Really don't see the appeal of it TBH. I don't like VG24/7, but their article, while brash, was on point.

That article was ridiculous and poorly written click-bait, talking about muggles and shit. Can't see how it was on point at all.

its probably the only piece of Nintendo hardware that i can say im excited to see what they can do with it and if all those other partners are in and the sales numbers are there then maybe but yea handheld/console hybrid seems like the way to go forward for them :0

also speaking of Telstra TV boxs ,i think if have one and two of the old T boxs one of which seems like it wont record with out being activated and im not sure about the tv box ......

anyone able to comment on Uses since i dont have nor want a subscription ?

Hey look, no "Bzz Bzz wub Wub, Bzz Bzz Wub Wub" in Battlefiled 1. ALso, PSN is down so its just single player tonight. Wow!. Just Wow.

Before BF, I finished Modern Warfare Remastered SP, there's a reason why it got remastered and CoD2, 3, WaW, and Black Ops just got X1 Backwards Compatibility updates. They did a really, really great job on the remaster.

Hey look, no "Bzz Bzz wub Wub, Bzz Bzz Wub Wub" in Battlefiled 1. ALso, PSN is down so its just single player tonight. Wow!. Just Wow.

Before BF, I finished Modern Warfare Remastered SP, there's a reason why it got remastered and CoD2, 3, WaW, and Black Ops just got X1 Backwards Compatibility updates. They did a really, really great job on the remaster.
Half the internet was taken down

Half the internet was taken down

Boy was it, but I doubt this'll be the last time this happens. Given the simplicity of just taking down the DNS provider, couldn't sites somewhat mitigate being completely disrupted by storing the string of their last address as part of the cache so it's likely that many users could still access the sites?.. I know nothing about web development, so there's likely many problems with this.

Fredescu

Boy was it, but I doubt this'll be the last time this happens. Given the simplicity of just taking down the DNS provider, couldn't sites somewhat mitigate being completely disrupted by storing the string of their last address as part of the cache so it's likely that many users could still access the sites?.. I know nothing about web development, so there's likely many problems with this.

DNS entries are cached everywhere, you don't do a full DNS lookup every time. Every DNS entry has a TTL (time to live) that tells all the other DNS servers (and your local machine) how long to keep that entry cached before going back to the original DNS server to check for the entry again. Having long TTLs sucks when you need to make changes, or if you have some sort of automated system that makes changes for redundancy or DR purposes, so short is good, even if it does technically make you do more DNS lookups and therefore uses more bandwidth.

The other fun part is that a lot of websites you go to now would be using CNAME DNS entries instead of an A record. This means that the DNS name points to *another* DNS name, so another DNS lookup is required after the first one. This allows companies like AWS to give you an address to point your website to that is technically lots of different IPs around the place. See: https://aws.amazon.com/elasticloadbalancing/ . So even if your browser did store the DNS lookup that took place to display your website, that lookup itself could be a name, so if DNS in general was toast you'd *still* not be able to get to it.

mulac

Selling my Surface Pro 4 i5 256GB 8GB RAM; pen; leather carry case and Military protective case.

Before I launch into the eBay and gumtree merry go round thought I'd see if anyone is interested here.

Based in Sydney so that is preferred but will post anywhere in Oz if need be.

Hit me up if interested, looking for around $1000 all in for it, pretty much as new as I've barely used the thing and will just have to swallow the loss.

Yeah I know, but since I was planning on diving into BF MP after work, that's all I noticed. I played some single and literally fell asleep on the couch (I think scoffing a large pizza for dinner might have had something to do with that.)
The BF1 SP is a strange beast; although it's referred to as the campaign in the main menu, the mode itself is called "War Stories," and that's a pretty apt description. It's interesting to get these short snippets of different parts of the war, but it's definitely not an SP campaign in anything but the loosest sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom