• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated my drivers and BF1 runs like dog shit. Overwatch is now stutter too instead of a constant 60. Great update Nvidia.

I updated my AMD drivers and BF1 still, bizarrely, regularly runs at near 60 but has frame pacing or hitching issues or SOMETHING with my R9 290X w/ Fx8730 and it is driving me insane. Lowering the settings from Ultra to Low literally does nothing to help :(

DNS entries are cached everywhere, you don't do a full DNS lookup every time. Every DNS entry has a TTL (time to live) that tells all the other DNS servers (and your local machine) how long to keep that entry cached before going back to the original DNS server to check for the entry again. Having long TTLs sucks when you need to make changes, or if you have some sort of automated system that makes changes for redundancy or DR purposes, so short is good, even if it does technically make you do more DNS lookups and therefore uses more bandwidth.

The other fun part is that a lot of websites you go to now would be using CNAME DNS entries instead of an A record. This means that the DNS name points to *another* DNS name, so another DNS lookup is required after the first one. This allows companies like AWS to give you an address to point your website to that is technically lots of different IPs around the place. See: https://aws.amazon.com/elasticloadbalancing/ . So even if your browser did store the DNS lookup that took place to display your website, that lookup itself could be a name, so if DNS in general was toast you'd *still* not be able to get to it.

Ooh, that's really interesting. Thanks :)

MoonGred

I wonder if the PSVR being out of stock everywhere in AU is due to higher demand or just poor stock allocation.

For some reason I got it in my head that I want one
I really want a vive but $1400 is way too steep
, and I want it now.

Quasar

So given that 2k is price gouging on Steam, I'm wondering how Civ 6 installs from disc?

Is it simply a steam key in a box?

I wonder if the PSVR being out of stock everywhere in AU is due to higher demand or just poor stock allocation.

For some reason I got it in my head that I want one
I really want a vive but $1400 is way too steep
, and I want it now.
Bit of both, wasn't an insane amount of stock but Sony did start preorders early enough to ramp up production once they realised demand.

Lets see what third party support is like. I've been burned too many times for me to consider another Nintendo platform at this stage. Also is Nintendo still region locking hardware?

Shouldn't be locked going by insiders but it's really odd they refused to talk about it.

Recreat3

I just completed the dark tower series and as i have read online you either loved or hated the ending. Well i loved it the ending. Absolutely left me questioning what is the dark tower and why is roland so drawn to it for all these years. Makes me even more excited for the movie now.

Rizzi

I just completed the dark tower series and as i have read online you either loved or hated the ending. Well i loved it the ending. Absolutely left me questioning what is the dark tower and why is roland so drawn to it for all these years. Makes me even more excited for the movie now.

I've had the first three books sitting on my shelf for the better part of a year. I should really get around to reading them at some point.

Recreat3

I've had the first three books sitting on my shelf for the better part of a year. I should really get around to reading them at some point.

I wasnt sold after reading the 1st book but once i picked up the 2nd one i was hooked. The story really starts to evolve. Theres some really slow parts later in the series but i love the ending. Theres a lot of unanswered questions which can be left to the reader's own interpretation..and im sure plenty of theories exist online which ill read up on.

While we're discussing books, are the Dune books worth reading after the first one?

Dune Messiah and God Emperor of Dune are great too. The next 3 are meh. The modern ones with Frank's son and Kevin Anderson should have been burnt in a dumpster and I still read all of House Atriedes. Anderson's Seven Suns stuff is OK but seems a little like a poor version of Culture.

MoonGred

Dune Messiah and God Emperor of Dune are great too. The next 3 are meh. The modern ones with Frank's son and Kevin Anderson should have been burnt in a dumpster and I still read all of House Atriedes. Anderson's Seven Suns stuff is OK but seems a little like a poor version of Culture.

I didn't even know his son picked up and continued the series. Thanks for the heads up, I'll steer clear of those.

Ingram

Silly me just grabbed the 3 Skyrim DLC for $12 so I can get that sweet free upgrade this week.

Dunno why I'm bothering since I only put about 15 hours in previously before hitting gamebryo fatigue.

I'm hoping I can ride the hype train a bit to see if I can get into it more. Maybe some mods might make it more compelling to me.

jambo

I put about 110 hours in to Skyrim, but only ever got about half way through the main story quest.

I might take advantage of the new version coming out to finally finish it.

Recreat3

I think i might wait for the switch version. Never played skyrim and i feel that being able to play it wherever and whenever i want is very cool.

jambo

Is it coming out on Switch? I thought Bethesda said they just did it as a mock demo.

Bethesda just came out to say it wasn't fully confirmed, but that they are partnering with Nintendo for Switch titles.

Could mean a mock demo, could mean they're still working things out.

Anyone checking out steven wilson at the metro this coming saturday?

I'm seeing him in Brisbane. Saw him last time he toured and it was great!

Be warned he was extremely punctual. Started playing at 8pm. I thought rock stars didn't even get out of bed until 9pm.

Recreat3

I'm seeing him in Brisbane. Saw him last time he toured and it was great!

Be warned he was extremely punctual. Started playing at 8pm. I thought rock stars didn't even get out of bed until 9pm.

Awesome dude. I havent seen him live, missed him last time. I have seen porcupine tree when they toured the incident album and that was amazing. I actually picked up 2 tickets off ebay for $99 as the guy couldnt go. Really good deal seeing as tickets were originally around $89 each!

MoonGred

I wouldn't tbh. Especially if you don't end up being able to use it due to motion sickness/etc. Buy local so you can take it back if you have to.

Yea, I was thinking about that as well, and I can't be bothered using a EU/UK power adapter either.

Shame they're sold out until 2017, especially seeing as the US and by the sounds of it mainland EU have plenty on store shelves.

senahorse

Didn't realise they were so hard to come by, I nearly kept my pre-order thinking I could just flip it on ebay if I didn't want it, but there were loads already on there, I guess that explains why the EB staff were shocked when I cancelled it.

mulac

How are you guys buying your PS4Pro's - I have my OG PS4 sitting waiting to trade in $$ at EBGames on 10th Nov to get some money off but is there another way?

Rizzi

I'm not buying a PS4 Pro. I don't have a 4K TV and I don't really want to spend another $560 on a console I already own. Such a ridiculous idea.

MoonGred

How are you guys buying your PS4Pro's - I have my OG PS4 sitting waiting to trade in $$ at EBGames on 10th Nov to get some money off but is there another way?

Same, I know that at one point or another I'm going to want this thing and there won't be a trade in option.

Trading it in on release day. The EB deal will likely be around for about 7 days after release apparently.

So I'll just swap in my old HDD to my old PS4, take it up to EB with the most worthless PS4 game I have, trade it in and pay the $300ish extra for the Pro. (you could get more for your trade in depending on what EB level you are, some people are only paying $250 out of pocket after trade in).

Rezbit

If I could get it for like $200 with a trade-in maybe I would consider it. At this point though with a non-4K TV don't know if it's worth it.

hamchan

I'd rather upgrade more PC parts than buy a PS4 Pro.

What the PS4 Pro has taught me though is to not buy the first revision of the next Sony console, because they'll totally release a mid-gen power upgrade again. Especially since there hasn't been that many exclusives in the first few years of the gen, it's much better to wait.

Is BF1 dead in Australia on PC? There's a total of 6 servers with people in them. Operations is completely dead. That seems crazy. Every other BF game was packed at launch.

MoonGred

Is BF1 dead in Australia on PC? There's a total of 6 servers with people in them. Operations is completely dead. That seems crazy. Every other BF game was packed at launch.

I hope not, I was actually looking forward to getting it, but servers being dead after a week would be a deal breaker

Keeping the old one and getting from Amazon (UK)

I'd rather upgrade more PC parts than buy a PS4 Pro.

What the PS4 Pro has taught me though is to not buy the first revision of the next Sony console, because they'll totally release a mid-gen power upgrade again. Especially since there hasn't been that many exclusives in the first few years of the gen, it's much better
to wait.

True, but it's not that different than dropping a few hundred bucks on a GFX card every few years. If you're already spending the cash on the PC, then I'd agree, shorter gaps between console updates isn't enough reason for PC gamers.

Playing on PS4 over the weekend (obviously not on Friday) was great: no waiting to get into matches, the game is glorious, frustrating, and brilliant, and where the fuck did that come from, polished, oh come on now, awesome, aww bullshit, and so on.

Cerity

I don't know how y'all do sydney traffic man, I was down for the weekend, didn't even drive and could just see the chaos.

Everything else was cool though.

Anyone have any ideas where to get Move controllers in Brisbane?

psvrmove.jpg

"TBC 2017"?! Why wouldn't they make these things available 1:1 with the PlaystationVR units available?

pretty good deal for anyone chasing an external SSD/2.5 HDD enclosure - tool free :)
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/270767

edit R.e move controllers from what i hear the older ones from the PS3 are fine as well ( and are basically the same?)

EB were flogging them for 15 bucks a few weeks back - used.
Anyone have any ideas where to get Move controllers in Brisbane?

psvrmove.jpg

"TBC 2017"?! Why wouldn't they make these things available 1:1 with the PlaystationVR units available?

Gazunta

I'm starting to get really excited for my PS4Pro! This will be my first PS4, first next gen console at all and there's heaps of stuff I've missed out on in the last few years like uh Street Fighter.

BTW don't blame Sony for hardware shortages, blame the two people at EB and JB who determine how many units come into Australia.

PS: Happy birthday Stackboy! I OWE YOU BIRTHDAY PUNCHES DO NOT FORGET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom