• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radaxian

I have a six year old niece who's currently obsessed with watching minecraft videos on YouTube. For Christmas she's asked Santa for an XBOne so she can play it.

I was going to trade in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro, but now I'm thinking I'll keep the old unit as well and give it to my niece.

My question here is this: what do you all think about young kids and videogames in general? I worry that my niece already spends too much time hunched over her mum's phone playing games, so I'm not sure if giving her a PS4 is really the right thing to do.

Of course I'm being a total hypocrite here, because I was obsessed with videogames from a very young age myself.

How do those of you with young kids manage their gaming habits?

My advice is to use the 'screen time' concept, and lump in video games with iPad/phone / TV etc. Decide how much of that time is acceptable, what time of day, and what needs to have been done first, then let them choose how they'd prefer to spend it.

Quasar

:lol

If Trump loses he will rail against the result and damage public perception of democracy. If Trump wins he will weaken democracy from the inside. The result doesn't matter, America was fucked when he won the nomination. The only thing that might save it is if he loses very badly and the Republicans band together against him. They couldn't stop him getting the nomination, so that seems unlikely, but what do I know.

I still don't really understand why non-members of the parties can even enter contests for nominations.

So has anyone heard anything about Amazon coming to Australia? I'm fucking pumped.

BTW I have an AUS Arceus and a Genesect code to give to someone who PMs me asking nicely.

So has anyone heard anything about Amazon coming to Australia? I'm fucking pumped.

BTW I have an AUS Arceus and a Genesect code to give to someone who PMs me asking nicely.

Can't wait for them to move in, destroy the pretenders then raise their prices to the same level anyway. I hope it doesn't end up like that but...

While the plans are held tight atm, those in the know seem to suggest big cites (big 5 capitials?) will get massive distribution centers while smaller areas will get retail presences. Should be fun at least and it will probably give eBay a massive kick and that would not be a bad thing.

Cerity

Turns out those cheap flights were a pricing error and virgin are honouring them all. Still can't believe I'm going to Korea for $275 return.

Quasar

Yeah it's a really reasonable price in comparison.

Really am thinking I'll take up that EB offer. 200$ trade is probably more than I'd get if I tried to dump my PS4 at a pawn shop.

Though first I'd need to find a game on disc to buy as I've never bought any games on disc for my PS4.

Quasar

I think the PS4 Pro is dumb as hell.

I think its pretty cool at face value, though wish Sony wasn't so fanatical about holding it back so PS4 plebs get the same everything (aside from prettiness). Well aside from the lack of UHD Bluray support. That's totally dumb.

Only real deal is the EB trade in offer
Cheers rep.

I think the PS4 Pro is dumb as hell.
I think the decision not to include a UHD Blu-ray player is dumb as hell. For gaming though it offers a lot of bang for buck in comparison to a gaming PC and makes a lot of sense if you're planning to get a 4K TV, or just like to have the best possible graphics while staying in the console space.

Quasar

The new Clarkson, Hammond, May show that Amazon bought.

Forgot about that.

There has been talk about Prime Video starting here sooner (to launch it with that show even), so maybe that will be an option. They did launch Kindle Unlimited here today.

Stackboy

I had a 3 day PAX pass but only went for 2, if that was any indication of what I thought of this years event. There really wasn't enough for me to be there for 3 whole days. I dunno, the panels felt like they lacked this year, I wanted more developer panels. The show floor really didn't have anything that was must play and alot of the indie games were on the show floor last year.

I'll go again next year, but consider me wary.

Gaz I'll see you at Supernova on Sunday!

I had a 3 day PAX pass but only went for 2, if that was any indication of what I thought of this years event. There really wasn't enough for me to be there for 3 whole days. I dunno, the panels felt like they lacked this year, I wanted more developer panels. The show floor really didn't have anything that was must play and alot of the indie games were on the show floor last year.

I was disappointed in a number of panels. I expected less community driven content and more developer representation. The Zelda panel for example, had no involvement from Nintendo and was merely a soundboard for the Zelda Universe fan site. This is in spite of the Pokemon panel featuring a special video Q&A prepared by Junichi Masuda and having a rep from Nintendo Australia M.C.

The lines for games at times were out of control. I was in queue waiting to play Dead Rising 4 for over an hour. There were only six people in front of me and four active demo stations. People were sneaking in to play, however, via the back curtain and the Microsoft Rep said there was nothing he could do about it. That was the last time I lined up to play mainstream games. I spent the remainder of the show trying Indie games and attending panels.

I was a little disappointed in the handling of the tourneys as well. I registered for the Pokken tournament (there were 25 other registered entrants at the time) and left the Warframe panel during the Q&A to compete, only to be told it was cancelled because there was a problem with one of the Wii U consoles. There were plenty of other Wii U consoles not in use at the time, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Overall, I enjoyed my first time at PAX. There were a few issues but nothing that made me regret going. I'm sure if I had interest in board games, CCGs and tabletop gaming I'd have enjoyed PAX even more.

Cerity

nice when you coming?
Only gonna see Seoul?

haha $275? that's insane

Nothing concrete yet but definately want to do a DMZ/JSA tour and head down to Jeju Island, so won't be just staying in Seoul. Probably going to end up choosing one over the other given they're on opposite ends of the country.

Coming in early Feb, going to be freezing.

Yeah, crazy pricing, didn't realise quite how crazy it was until my mate who was sleeping through the whole thing decided to have a look to see if he could come along. $1.2k~ return usually.

Danoss

Without going too AUSPOL, zero hour contracts are the Coalitions wet-dream. Gets them off the unemployed stats.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They'd gladly turn a blind eye for this very reason.

I wasn't thinking of zero-hour contracts, more the actual workplace conditions and undue stress placed on workers. Much of this has been revealed by undercover reporting.

Years ago when I read the first report, I thought that Amazon couldn't operate in Australia because our workplace standards are too high and they wouldn't get away with it. Now, I'm sure they will, which is probably why they'll be setting up shop here.

Quasar

That's exactly what I was thinking. They'd gladly turn a blind eye for this very reason.

I wasn't thinking of zero-hour contracts, more the actual workplace conditions and undue stress placed on workers. Much of this has been revealed by undercover reporting.

Years ago when I read the first report, I thought that Amazon couldn't operate in Australia because our workplace standards are too high and they wouldn't get away with it. Now, I'm sure they will, which is probably why they'll be setting up shop here.

Though aren't they in European countries with better labor laws than the US.

Fredescu

I had that thought too Danoss. I have a feeling that they've managed to replace enough humans in their processes that they can still be profitable in a country with reasonable labour laws. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Grechy34

I went both days (Sat & Sun) and left at 5.00 on the final day. The show was great although last year was my first time and felt really fresh which made the experience on a whole unique. I kind of knew what to expect this time and agree didn't feel as if their was as much to do although still had a great time. Played a lot of the same indies also although it was kind of great to see a lot of improvement in 1 year in a lot of them.

Recreat3

Catch of the day currently have new n3ds with mario and luigi paper jam + amiibo + cover plate + charger for $199. Im so close to biting

Edit: cant justify it with the switch coming out early next year.

Quasar

How are you guys following the US Election results today? Best youtube channel?

I'm not really. I'll probably check in when I have dinner. Thats about it. I continue to be weirded out by the amount of US politics we get on local media. Its almost more than our own politics.

I feel sick as a dog today.
Don't know if it's the lack of sleep, Massaman curry for lunch, too much coke or US election.
2016 laughs at us again.

So, um, if
when
Trump wins what impact is that going to have locally?

I know exactly nothing about... well... anything I guess. Apart from videogames. I know a good amount about videgames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom