• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I'm worried about being able to walk away with a new PS4 today when I return mine to JB. Someone mentioned the warranty is actually handled by an external company, so I can't just waltz into a store and replace it. What the fuck is that all about?

If I can't get one today I'll be pretty pissed off. I want to play Dishonored 2 damnit!

Well it's handled by a separate JB company and they outsource actual repairs (mine got sent to a Brisbane company whilst I'm in NSW). And looking at the terms in my extended care booklet I think it unlikely they will just swap it in store. I still think it will be sent away to be repaired.

Certainly my agreement says:

"At our soul discretion we may replace your product with a new product with equivalent features as determined by us when your product is not economically repairable or repair costs exceed the original purchase price".

I'm worried about being able to walk away with a new PS4 today when I return mine to JB. Someone mentioned the warranty is actually handled by an external company, so I can't just waltz into a store and replace it. What the fuck is that all about?

If I can't get one today I'll be pretty pissed off. I want to play Dishonored 2 damnit!
Hopefully it works out for you, but TBH I'd probably expect you to be PS4-less for at least a fortnight or so :(

Such bastardry. I'll take it into the store this eve and give it a go, but this doesn't sound good.

I'll double down on the fact that it's a replacement warranty, not a repair warranty.

- Replacement Cover Plans are only available for certain goods costing $1,000 or less, provide a one-off replacement of your
purchase and cover commences 12 months after the date of purchase,

- What remedies are available if the product is defective? Replacement cover plan > automatic replacement to a maximum of the original purchase price

- Who is obliged to provide the remedy? ACL rights > JB Hi-Fi (if seeking a repair, refund or replacement)

Maybe wait until after you find out what happened before you call JB bastards =P

Actually I called a JB store on my lunch break, and they were very helpful. I do need to make the claim through the company, but she seemed to think it was likely I would be given store credit/gift cards to the original value. That's really exactly what I'm hoping for!

Of course, I still need to deal with the actual claim side of things so there may be bastards yet.

Stackboy

I was disappointed in a number of panels. I expected less community driven content and more developer representation. The Zelda panel for example, had no involvement from Nintendo and was merely a soundboard for the Zelda Universe fan site. This is in spite of the Pokemon panel featuring a special video Q&A prepared by Junichi Masuda and having a rep from Nintendo Australia M.C.

As soon as the list of panels came out for PAX Aus I noticed there were far less genuine developer panels than last year.

Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed PAX Aus this year and will attend again in the future, but I hope future events have more developers presenting panels.

I picked up Joking Hazard and some CAH expansions too. Has anyone played Munchkin Quest? I love the card game Munchkin and I want to know if Munchkin Quest is worth picking up.

Heading to Supernova this weekend too. My nieces and nephews are coming with, so it should be pretty fun!

Sorry to bog this thread down in even more politics given the Off-Topic 'Trumpapocalypse' going on at the moment, but the election results have led me to thinking that the best way to deal with this Trump pessimism would be putting that energy into something productive that can help people here in Australia that truly need it.

While my current job would prevent me from doing something tied to direct political activism, are there any well-known part-time volunteer charities or groups in the ACT that fit this sort of criteria? You'll see some spur-of-the-moment-and-alcohol-fueled shitposts in my recent posting history about Trump, but I do sincerely think it's healthiest for me to try and put this negative energy towards something positive both for myself and the wider community. Australia obviously isn't immune to this hard shift to the right the US and Europe have found themselves in, especially if you look at our parliament.

Update time... it worked! I got a PS4 Pro, Dishonored 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider for a grand total of $150. God damn I'm stoked!

The warranty company was super easy to deal with, and sent my claim to my store of choice immediately. The people at JB were also really great, and before I even suggested it the manager floated the idea of a Pro. They didn't even test the machine, just took me at my word, and even though the bundle I bought years ago included Destiny in the price they weren't interested in taking the game back and refunded the full price I paid years back.

Maybe I should have grabbed Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim for $39 as well, but I've got more than enough to play at the moment.

Update time... it worked! I got a PS4 Pro, Dishonored 2, and Rise of the Tomb Raider for a grand total of $150. God damn I'm stoked!

The warranty company was super easy to deal with, and sent my claim to my store of choice immediately. The people at JB were also really great, and before I even suggested it the manager floated the idea of a Pro. They didn't even test the machine, just took me at my word, and even though the bundle I bought years ago included Destiny in the price they weren't interested in taking the game back and refunded the full price I paid years back.

Maybe I should have grabbed Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim for $39 as well, but I've got more than enough to play at the moment.
Nicely done mate!

BAM! That's how it is done.

My best advice in terms of activism is get involved in your local council and local members. Find out their views and try to have regular contact with those in power, the only way to change the system is from within it.

They basically just use Destiny for toilet paper at this point. God damn there are a LOT of preowned copies floating around o_O

I grabbed Dishonored 2 despite not liking the first game. Needed something shiny and new for the day lol. Played a ton more Gears 4 though, they finally got back on Gears 1 level, so incredibly good.

Watch Dogs 2 will be ace next week.

Recreat3

Thats awesome. When i grabbed my x1s a couple of months back im sure the guy said to me i could only bring ot back if its defective within the first 3 months otherwise i have to contact microsoft support..and theor warranty lasts 2 years in aus. he tried to offer me lifetome warranty (i think lifetime) through jb but the extra price was absurd.

magenta

I also bought a mini NES today. The Target store I went to only had 18 units in stock and the staff were smart enough to give tickets for one unit to those who waited outside the door so the whole process was orderly. It also allowed them to inform anybody who came a bit too late that they were not going to make it.

The complete opposite happened to one of my friends. He went to a different Target store who had lo and behold 18 units in stock. Roughly 50 people arrived with families having the intention of buying one for each member themselves so they could keep one and flog the rest on eBay. This time there were no tickets which ensured no civil order here. Staff member just opened the roller door to waist high and stopped knowing what was going to happen next, commando rolls underneath and a sprint to the gaming section in the back corner. Entirely unfair to those whose waited first and were not quite athletic.

I don't understand why Nintendo would produce these in such small numbers.

PS4 Pro got damaged in transit (or damaged, in a Transit) so Amazon refunded it. I've ordered a replacement which should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

oh well.

My 64GB Vita memory card arrived on my last break and it's a relief to be able to download whatever I like and know that I will have room for it. The last break was kind of crap though - the whole family got gastroenteritis and I travelled back to work with a cold so I had to take a sick day yesterday :/

I did start playing Persona 4 The Golden though, which is my first experience with Persona. My goodness the presentation is slick, especially the soundtrack. It reminds me a lot more of The World Ends With You than of mainline SMT.

I have just finished unlocking the second female party member and am in the process of rescuing the
clearly closeted, hoo boy they telegraphed that one,
second male party member. I have no idea how Persona treats
homosexual relationships,
if they're given the kind of empathy the others are. Japanese media in general though has tended to be a little ham-fisted in this regard.

The second female party member seems like she was deliberately engineered to appeal to be a waifu for desperately lonely teenage Japanese boys. Not only is she beautiful, talented and demure, she's also kind of oblivious to or frightened of the male attention she gets, which makes her as pure and "clean" as the driven snow. The first female party member is a lot more fun.

Maybe I can make a LttP thread...

I also bought a mini NES today. The Target store I went to only had 18 units in stock and the staff were smart enough to give tickets for one unit to those who waited outside the door so the whole process was orderly. It also allowed them to inform anybody who came a bit too late that they were not going to make it.

The complete opposite happened to one of my friends. He went to a different Target store who had lo and behold 18 units in stock. Roughly 50 people arrived with families having the intention of buying one for each member themselves so they could keep one and flog the rest on eBay. This time there were no tickets which ensured no civil order here. Staff member just opened the roller door to waist high and stopped knowing what was going to happen next, commando rolls underneath and a sprint to the gaming section in the back corner. Entirely unfair to those whose waited first and were not quite athletic.

I don't understand why Nintendo would produce these in such small numbers.

No way in hell I'd line up outside a target for a console, but would really like to be there to see the spectacle.

PS4 Pro got damaged in transit (or damaged, in a Transit) so Amazon refunded it. I've ordered a replacement which should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

oh well.
There have been a heap of GAFers in the UK reporting damaged units being delivered. Maybe a B-double rolled or something, or there was a forklift accident at a warehouse :p

I did start playing Persona 4 The Golden though, which is my first experience with Persona. My goodness the presentation is slick, especially the soundtrack. It reminds me a lot more of The World Ends With You than of mainline SMT.

I have just finished unlocking the second female party member and am in the process of rescuing the
clearly closeted, hoo boy they telegraphed that one,
second male party member. I have no idea how Persona treats
homosexual relationships,
if they're given the kind of empathy the others are. Japanese media in general though has tended to be a little ham-fisted in this regard.

The second female party member seems like she was deliberately engineered to appeal to be a waifu for desperately lonely teenage Japanese boys. Not only is she beautiful, talented and demure, she's also kind of oblivious to or frightened of the male attention she gets, which makes her as pure and "clean" as the driven snow. The first female party member is a lot more fun.

Maybe I can make a LttP thread...
It's pretty well developed, you'll be happy as you go along I suspect! Characters are fleshed out enough that they can use the tropes to toy with your expectations.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So glad I preordered the nes. Jesus. Though I regret not getting a second controller. Maybe I can hunt one down in the second wave... Fuck paying $70 on ebay for one. Also who the hell is gonna pay $450 for these consoles...

jambo

Mate of mine had that exact one and it's been fine for the 3 years he's had the console.

I have a similar one with no problems after 2 years.

Triteon

As soon as the list of panels came out for PAX Aus I noticed there were far less genuine developer panels than last year.

Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed PAX Aus this year and will attend again in the future, but I hope future events have more developers presenting panels.

I picked up Joking Hazard and some CAH expansions too. Has anyone played Munchkin Quest? I love the card game Munchkin and I want to know if Munchkin Quest is worth picking up.

Heading to Supernova this weekend too. My nieces and nephews are coming with, so it should be pretty fun!

I just got back from melbourne this morning. Me and the GF had an additional few days after PAX for some r&r, so ive had some time for contemplation already.

To be honest on the videogaming side i found it all to be a bit lacklustre. I played a few vr games, a fair bit of IW multi and that was about it, tried lining up for For Honour twice but was told to move on as the wait was over an hour and the line was too long.

The tabletop was pretty good but my luck of finding random games was down. I ended up playing alot of level one d&d. It was a good time but i dont know if it was fly to melbourne and pay for a hotel good.

Ive gone to three of these things now (missed 15, as used leave for something else). But i think the novelty of it existing has worn off. Now it needs the games and the guests to keep me coming back. Or i may as well save the additional grand that it would cost me to go overseas and go to Dragoncon or Gencon or even Pax West.

The Target I go to closed down recently, replaced by a Kmart a few days ago.

I went there today. They don't seem to have a game section!

Kmart hasn't sold games for like a year.
I see. I hadn't gone to a Kmart in much longer than that. My memory of Kmart with games was that THREE times in a row, months apart, I went to the counter with a game case to buy it and they went out the back and said they didn't have it in stock. Three times in a row with different games!

SmZA

While my current job would prevent me from doing something tied to direct political activism, are there any well-known part-time volunteer charities or groups in the ACT that fit this sort of criteria? You'll see some spur-of-the-moment-and-alcohol-fueled shitposts in my recent posting history about Trump, but I do sincerely think it's healthiest for me to try and put this negative energy towards something positive both for myself and the wider community. Australia obviously isn't immune to this hard shift to the right the US and Europe have found themselves in, especially if you look at our parliament.

I'm only just starting to come out of my stupor of depression & denial so I don't have a lot to say that's useful yet.

My first thought is to volunteer with refugees and recent migrants, as they are being hit hard by local politics as well as affected by what's happening overseas (pretty much everywhere, not just Aus & the US).

It doesn't have to be political advocacy, you can volunteer for things like helping kids with their schoolwork, or adults with their English/ life skills. With kids you'd need a Working With Children Check, about $70 but some orgs may cover that cost for you.

Eg. where I am there's SAIL (Sudanese Australian Integrated Learning), I'm sure there are orgs in ACT you can look into.

mulac

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
Or
Gears of War 4 (PC)
Or
SOMA (PS4)
Or
Modern Warfare Remastered (PC)
Or
Witcher 3 (PC)

What game should I throw myself into to complete before Christmas??

So many choices across PC and PS4(Pro)...

Rizzi

Or
Gears of War 4 (PC)
Or
SOMA (PS4)
Or
Or
Witcher 3 (PC)

Witcher 3, no question.

Or
Gears of War 4 (PC)
Or
SOMA (PS4)
Or
Or
Witcher 3 (PC)

Witcher 3 is longer, ignoring multiplayer, than the other 4 combined.

My game is at 118 hours and I haven't done any of the DLC and I'd say 2/3rds of the POIs in Skellige are still untouched.

mulac

Witcher 3 is longer, ignoring multiplayer, than the other 4 combined.

My game is at 118 hours and I haven't done any of the DLC and I'd say 2/3rds of the POIs in Skellige are still untouched.

Yeah thats my fear. i reckon Tomb Raider with Gears of War 4 together i should be able to knock over and start Witcher 3 on a slow burn...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom