• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witcher 3 is longer, ignoring multiplayer, than the other 4 combined.

My game is at 118 hours and I haven't done any of the DLC and I'd say 2/3rds of the POIs in Skellige are still untouched.
The Witcher 3 is (IMHO) the best game this gen, and contains a mind blowing amount of stuff.

But the Skellige POIs are where that game crosses into 'busy work.' All of the Skellige ones at sea should be ignored, unless you're hard up for cash.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I picked up an ausgaffer's old PS4 on Friday, He left Infamous in the drive tray so that was nice.

What games should I look at picking up for the system? Stuff except for bloodthorne cause I didn't really get into DS3 and I can't stay FPS games on consoles, I will stick to those on PC.

What exclusives am i missing?

The Witcher 3 is (IMHO) the best game this gen, and contains a mind blowing amount of stuff.

But the Skellige POIs are where that game crosses into 'busy work.' All of the Skellige ones at sea should be ignored, unless you're hard up for cash.

All those floating treasure chests in Skellige is probably the only place where the content just seems like filler.

So I picked up an ausgaffer's old PS4 on Friday, He left Infamous in the drive tray so that was nice.

What games should I look at picking up for the system? Stuff except for bloodthorne cause I didn't really get into DS3 and I can't stay FPS games on consoles, I will stick to those on PC.

Google will tell you what the PS4 exclusives are. What type of games do you like? Are you only after exclusives, or might you be looking for games where the PS4 (in comparison to PC) might have a larger player base, or no cheating/hackers? Were you planning on getting PS+?

replacement PS4Pro has dispatched according to Amazon so i should have it tomorrow. Going to inaugurated it with Dishonored 2 (which I got on Friday but have played yet. I belted out the Single Player to CoD IW on the weekend and it's really, really good (in stark contrast to the worst multi experiences since Ghosts (the last Infinity Ward.

It's a really fun and polished space warfare single player campaign. maybe not as much fun overall as TF2, but possibly better characters (well, there are a few and they're mostly well done, whereas TF2 really only has BT and the south african merc dude.

you know, we're not far off The Grand Tour and Gilmore Girls.

Main ones I'd grab are Ratchet & Clank (cheap on PSN right now), Uncharted collection (cheap on PSN right now), Uncharted 4 & Until Dawn.

Depends a LOT on your tastes of course. Oh also Resogun on PSN.

Does anyone know how reputable/quality this turntable is likely to be?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...ject/pro-ject-debut-classic-turntable/833980/

JB sent an email with 40% off with it, but it's exclusively made for JB HIFI and I can't find any real reviews for it...

EDIT: Ozbargain seems to think it's a decent price for a reasonable entry-level kit, although you need a pre-amp.

What are you planning on using it for? Just listening to music or mixing?

Does anyone know how reputable/quality this turntable is likely to be?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...ject/pro-ject-debut-classic-turntable/833980/

JB sent an email with 40% off with it, but it's exclusively made for JB HIFI and I can't find any real reviews for it...

EDIT: Ozbargain seems to think it's a decent price for a reasonable entry-level kit, although you need a pre-amp.

I have an unused Essential II kicking around, by all accounts they are very good turntables.

If you are looking for entry level maybe check out Gumtree/ebay for a Pioneer turntable and Amp. You should be able to pick up a nice combo for well under $200.

What are you planning on using it for? Just listening to music or mixing?

Just listening, and I'm not an audiophile by any standard but at the same time I do like having good equipment.

I have an unused Essential II kicking around, by all accounts they are very good turntables.

If you are looking for entry level maybe check out Gumtree/ebay for a Pioneer turntable and Amp. You should be able to pick up a nice combo for well under $200.

Okay cool, thanks for the tip. Only problem is I'm not that knowledgeable on models and the ins and outs of turntables, and I assume all the true bargains are quickly picked up on? I'll have a squiz nonetheless.

MoonGred

Is it me or is TV tech unnecessarily confusing?

The tv that I bought 6 months ago was clearly advertised as having HDR, while this was not the reason for buying the tv it was still a nice added bonus.
Hooked my ps4 pro up to it, excited to see what the fuss is about. Turns out my tv doesn't support HDR.

Not that this has now made me regret my tv purchase but I just wish that buying a tv was easier, or at least easier to make an informed purchase. You can't use reviews either as they're all based on US or UK models.

Quasar

The tv that I bought 6 months ago was clearly advertised as having HDR, while this was not the reason for buying the tv it was still a nice added bonus.
Hooked my ps4 pro up to it, excited to see what the fuss is about. Turns out my tv doesn't support HDR.

Not that this has now made me regret my tv purchase but I just wish that buying a tv was easier, or at least easier to make an informed purchase. You can't use reviews either as they're all based on US or UK models.

That frequently happens during the major tech transitions. Happened at the start of the HD era where you had to deal with the different HD resolutions, HD-DVD v BD, etc.

Now its 4k and whether its an older non HDR 4k display as well as the HDR format war.

Just what is your TV model?

Are you sure it doesn't support HDR? Is it just the PS4 Pro video output info screen that you're going by?

As I understand it, you can't do 4K RGB with HDR enabled over HDMI 2.0, because there simply isn't enough bandwidth. Instead, there needs to be some chroma compression in order to free up enough bandwidth, so 4K YUV 4:2:0 is required in order to get HDR going as well. You can switch between the two in the PS4 Pro's video settings.

Make sure that you're using the right HDMI port on your TV (not all of them might be HDMI 2.0 ports), and that you've gone into your TV settings and enabled HDR (different TV manufacturers can call it wildly different things) for that HDMI port on your TV.

Also make sure you're using the HDMI cable that came with your PS4 Pro. Some cables are dodgy and don't support the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth spec properly (especially longer ones).

MoonGred

Are you sure it doesn't support HDR? Is it just the PS4 Pro video output info screen that you're going by?

As I understand it, you can't do 4K RGB with HDR enabled over HDMI 2.0, because there simply isn't enough bandwidth. Instead, there needs to be some chroma compression in order to free up enough bandwidth, so 4K YUV 4:2:0 is required in order to get HDR going as well. You can switch between the two in the PS4 Pro's video settings.

Make sure that you're using the right HDMI port on your TV (not all of them might be HDMI 2.0 ports), and that you've gone into your TV settings and enabled HDR (different TV manufacturers can call it wildly different things) for that HDMI port on your TV.

Also make sure you're using the HDMI cable that came with your PS4 Pro. Some cables are dodgy and don't support the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth spec properly (especially longer ones).

This is purely based on the PS4 info screen, didn't even know it could be inaccurate.

I'll have a look at the settings again. From what I remember they seem pretty bare bones and even the manual is pretty much useless

This is the LG I ended up getting http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-60UH652T

Okay cool, thanks for the tip. Only problem is I'm not that knowledgeable on models and the ins and outs of turntables, and I assume all the true bargains are quickly picked up on? I'll have a squiz nonetheless.

Some people will ask silly money for stuff. Look for stuff like Pioneer, Marrantz, Sansui and maybe Technics and Sony. The last two will be more expensive. Don't be afraid of wood veneer either!

Make sure the head is original or at least a good brand in good condition and not missing! If you can check the belts, make sure they are not slipping. Also check the plug and voltage, there are lots of British stuff around so you might need an adapter.

Had a quick look, in Canberra albeit, but something like this one would be great place to start.

This is purely based on the PS4 info screen, didn't even know it could be inaccurate.

I'll have a look at the settings again. From what I remember they seem pretty bare bones and even the manual is pretty much useless

This is the LG I ended up getting http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-60UH652T

You just need to turn it on, it's called HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour. From page 13 of your manual:

mjgDhJS.png

If you can't get it working with the PS4 Pro video output set to 2160p - RGB, then try 2160p - YUV420.

yes, but what's worse is PS4 Pro needs a bunch of specific technology in a 4K set to work at its best: 4K, HDR 10, specific HDMI spec, and with low input lag with HDR activated. And only the most super expensive sets currently on the market have all of these features.

That's why I'll 1080P a Pro for the time being. Way to make a noun an adjective and vice versa.

yes, but what's worse is PS4 Pro needs a bunch of specific technology in a 4K set to work at its best: 4K, HDR 10, specific HDMI spec, and with low input lag with HDR activated. And only the most super expensive sets currently on the market have all of these features.

That's why I'll 1080P a Pro for the time being. Way to make a noun an adjective and vice versa.
My thousand dollar X8000R ticks all the boxes thankfully!

MoonGred

You just need to turn it on, it's called HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour. From page 13 of your manual:

mjgDhJS.png

If you can't get it working with the PS4 Pro video output set to 2160p - RGB, then try 2160p - YUV420.

Thanks for this! Don't know how I glanced over it

Yea I honestly would've done the same. The only reason why we got this tv is because we moved and had no tv at all.
I really would've loved a nice Oled one but the price is way too high.
Spending 6k on a tv is not really high on the priority list.

right Pro tip: using an ethernet cable to transfer stuff from your old PS4 is a looooot faster than reinstalling and repatching everything

Looks good! Has 4K & HDR (although without the wide colour gamut but will still look better than just non-HDR). Low input lag is great too.

right Pro tip: using an ethernet cable to transfer stuff from your old PS4 is a looooot faster than reinstalling and repatching everything

I traded my PS4 in towards the Pro so I had to go the long way :(

I traded my PS4 in towards the Pro so I had to go the long way :(
If you have an external drive big enough then you could also use Backup and Restore in that situation. I wanted to use my OG's SSHD in my Pro, so I backed up the OG to an external drive, put the SSHD in the Pro, formatted it, and then Restored from the Backup.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
so, japan land people.

~ 2 weeks,

fly into tokyo, stay there for a day or two, then head out to osaka or nagoya for 3 or 4 days, then onto hiroshima for a day or two, then back straight to either tokyo, or back through osaka or nagoya for abit, then the remaining few days in tokyo.

osaka or nagoya??? i've been to both but it was a good 10 years ago so i barely remember anything.

osaka has universal studios.. so i'm leaning to that.

edit: Skiing, that needs to be in there somewhere.. and that is something i know nothing aboot

edit: osaka wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom