• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to Japanland too after Christmas.
Spending two days in Osaka then two in Kyoto then one more in Osaka. Don't know if Kyoto needs two days or not

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Go to Nagoya for a day trip at best. I've spent a bit of time there and there's plenty of things you can see and do as with any big city, but honestly, go to Osaka. Nagoya is the gateway to the alps though, and I love that region.

yeah i don't really know where to go for snow, i just assume its everywhere?

shanshan can lend a spare bed

Edit read that as nagano. Damn that game was dope

WD2 is on my list for cheap post-Xmas sales if word of mouth says is a looooot better than the first one.

Started Dishonored 2 last night. That's one nice looking game and should make a nice counterpoint to the 4 MP shooters I've been playing over the last month

KrisB

Spending two days in Osaka then two in Kyoto then one more in Osaka. Don't know if Kyoto needs two days or not

I stayed in Kyoto for two days and felt that it was a good duration. Next time I go to Japan I'll spend more time in Osaka as I didn't get to see much of it.

hohoXD123

Two days is good for Kyoto, there's plenty to see but two days should be enough. You'll be sick of temples by the end of it though. I stayed in Osaka for a week but two days should be enough to see universal studios and do a city tour. I'd do a day trip to Hiroshima instead of a third day, assuming you have time.

Stackboy

Say what you will about preordering games and how it's bad, but I'm sure glad I preordered my NES classic. Had some friends get really self righteous and nasty with EB games on their FB. Stay classy!

Hey AusGAF, I'm travelling to the UK for the first time on Saturday and will be there for a couple of weeks. Any tips from other repenting convicts that have made the same trip?

My big issue with digital in general. Can be taken away at a moments notice.

He is now re-instated! What a bizarre roller-coaster ride.

Hey AusGAF, I'm travelling to the UK for the first time on Saturday and will be there for a couple of weeks. Any tips from other repenting convicts that have made the same trip?

Layers and Thermals.
It's warmer (14-ish) this week but last week it was around 6 degrees. Go to Katmandu and get at least one set of Thermal underwear (long johns or (leggings and shirt) and some thermal socks, get one of their thin but warm hoodies so you can layer your clothes (nothing worse than being bundled up warm outside and then you go inside somewhere heated and you start perspiring), so being able to take off a layer of clothes rather than one giant bulky coat is handy. A set of gloves, a scarf and a beanie are also a good idea. You can get an umbrella here easily enough and if you don't want to use roaming on your phone, you can buy and get a pre-paid card installed at Heathrow

Clothes you buy in Australia are generally not that great in Northern Winters and its harder to keep warm outside without looking like a Michelin man.

Check your bank, some tap and pay debit cards can be used on the london Underground Oyster cards (they are capped so you only pay the same as what you would for a day pass, same with Apple Pay.

Go to the museums and galleries in London (all free) Tate Modern, National Gallery, British museum, Albert and Victoria, Science Museum, Natural History. Madame Tussauds is cool (but quite exy). Oh and Stonehenge is great (it's only about an hour or so away from Heathrow).

Enjoy yourself.

Jintor

come live in hk, then japan just becomes that place you go every time there's a long weekend lol

Could do lol.

Question: should you enjoy your job? I've only been here a month and a half but I'm starting to dread going into the office

It's not like it's difficult really (right now), but there's just this horrible creeping dread of waking up and going in.

Also it's pretty regular to stay back 10-15 min to 30min every day which is really bumming me out. No ot for it either.

Could do lol.

Question: should you enjoy your job? I've only been here a month and a half but I'm starting to dread going into the office

Also it's pretty regular to stay back 10-15 min to 30min every day which is really bumming me out. No ot for it either.

consider it practice for being a salaryman in Japan.

Enjoy your job? This is a tricky one. I do enjoy my job, but I will readily admit that the desire for me to be in certain industries doing a certain job of a niche nature has had a very profound effect on the rest of my life, not necessarily a positive one.

Maybe we need to stop defining everything by happiness but rather contentedness.

You'll never be happy 100% of the time, even if you do a job you love. It is still a job.
But you may be content, which I'd argue is more valuable. Content is knowing that you get paid at the end of the week/fortnight/ month and that you'll get paid again next month. Content is knowing you can play a game at night or at the weekend and not feel guilty (freelancers know this).

Maybe it's just you've got over the honeymoon period of having a job after a period without one. it happens. But, and this is important. Stick it out where you are for a while (preferably a year) and then look for something a month or two before that anniversary. You're employed now, which will make the next job search for something better much, much, much easier.

hope that helps

Deeku

9.5 years:/

Re jobs: I think Clive put it pretty nicely there. First job is always gonna suck unless you get really lucky. I would say try not to have that dread attitude tho cos that might make things worse. Do the shit out of your job and find ways to add value and everything will probably feel better for you:D

Could do lol.

It's not like it's difficult really (right now), but there's just this horrible creeping dread of waking up and going in.

Tuesday I left work at 10pm because my boss fucked something up.
Yesterday I stayed back an hour to fix something our IT people should have fixed two months ago but forgot about.
Two quarters ago I worked 10-14 hour days for 23 days straight, no weekends.

but

I get paid which is a lot better than being unemployed which is going to happen to over 200 people other than me in my organisation in a few months.

Gazunta

Joined GAF in 199x when the #vidgames guys who started Gaming Age started a forum. Yiiiiiikes

Having days when you're really not wanting to go into the office is pretty normal, I think we all get that no matter what the job is.

However if it's more than that...then maybe this job is not for you. I know in the job I had previous to the one I have no I would wake up with a crushing weight of dread and panic every weekday morning at the thought of going in. It was a depressing, fun-sucking place and I used to literally run out the doors as soon as I could every evening to the car because the thought of spening one more minute in there was pure hell. I would spend my lunch breaks in my car just trying to calm myself down. I would often fail at this.

Ultimately the job you have, like any relationship really, has to be a good fit for you as a person. If you don't feel like a good person while working there, the job will be hurting you.

I like the job I have now - not for the money or the hours (though they're considerably better than they were in game dev hoo boy) but for the fact I think I'm a better person here. In game dev I was a rude and arrogant ego-maniac. Now my main task is to make people feel happy and listened to and taken care of. There are days that suck but when helping the next generation of programmers and artists grow and become better people is fantastic.

PS: Also what Clive said is spot on. Stick with it if you can - I know when I look at applicants people who have a job history where they bounce around a lot is a red flag. Not a "you're off the list" red flag, but still. I'm glad I stuck with the crappy job for a year before moving on.

Recreat3

Im lucky to have such a good job as my first career job. All the rest were just part time jobs during high school. I like my job a lot and the conditions are great but theres always days where i dont want to go in. Thats what sick days are for ;)

Layers and Thermals.
It's warmer (14-ish) this week but last week it was around 6 degrees. Go to Katmandu and get at least one set of Thermal underwear (long johns or (leggings and shirt) and some thermal socks, get one of their thin but warm hoodies so you can layer your clothes (nothing worse than being bundled up warm outside and then you go inside somewhere heated and you start perspiring), so being able to take off a layer of clothes rather than one giant bulky coat is handy. A set of gloves, a scarf and a beanie are also a good idea. You can get an umbrella here easily enough and if you don't want to use roaming on your phone, you can buy and get a pre-paid card installed at Heathrow

Clothes you buy in Australia are generally not that great in Northern Winters and its harder to keep warm outside without looking like a Michelin man.

Check your bank, some tap and pay debit cards can be used on the london Underground Oyster cards (they are capped so you only pay the same as what you would for a day pass, same with Apple Pay.

Go to the museums and galleries in London (all free) Tate Modern, National Gallery, British museum, Albert and Victoria, Science Museum, Natural History. Madame Tussauds is cool (but quite exy). Oh and Stonehenge is great (it's only about an hour or so away from Heathrow).

Enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the tips, just realised I'm short on thermals and will definitely go grab some more. Excited to see Stonehenge and all the museums for sure. We've booked an escape room and see seeing the Book of Mormon which I've heard great things about.

Same, joined 9 days before you. But you have 1k + more posts then me. So you've wasted more of your life then I have.

Neogaf seems to be something I couldn't get away from even if I tried.
At my new work, they once released a product that is very polarising on GAF and still get's threads that bring out Gaf's deplorables. Sometimes, the reception to that game comes up and eyes are rolled and I have sneaking sensation GAF is the cause if a fair bit of that. Shortly after I joined, we moved most of our internal communication to Slack (vale giphy integration) and occasionally the IT manager gets a bit antsy about the volume of communication it produces and you get gems like "this is slack, not bloody Neogaf."

of course, a previous company i worked for occasionally got mentioned on GAF "meh," "them? pass," and of course the "good riddance" posts when it shut down.

Gaf gets me through the day.

I've ended up organising a group Crikey sub for AusPoliGAF figured I'd extend the offer to AusGaf as well, drop me a PM if interested.

I'll also see about organising group subs to other papers if I get enough takers (usually 2-4 not including me depending on the paper).

I've ended up organising a group Crikey sub for AusPoliGAF figured I'd extend the offer to AusGaf as well, drop me a PM if interested.

I'll also see about organising group subs to other papers if I get enough takers (usually 2-4 not including me depending on the paper).

Interested.
Can you give us an indication of the price?

Jintor

Tuesday I left work at 10pm because my boss fucked something up.
Yesterday I stayed back an hour to fix something our IT people should have fixed two months ago but forgot about.
Two quarters ago I worked 10-14 hour days for 23 days straight, no weekends.

but

I get paid which is a lot better than being unemployed which is going to happen to over 200 people other than me in my organisation in a few months.

yeah i getcha

having money for once is kinda nice. not that i was starving when i was in japan but that was very explicitly an incredibly lucky niche I was happy to fill, and also that period of existential dread had more to do with being in a foreign country with a very shaky local support system

Recreat3

Going to some local arts thing in sydney this weekend. Im swayed mainly for the mexican food truck, not all that into art but i love food..especially mexican. What should i expect?

today i am the Godfather. i settled all business tonight after work. rang my old US bank to finally close my BoA accounts, rang Suncorp to get a replacement security token, finally found a catsitter for trip back to Brisbane for Christmas and cancelled my Telstra mobile now its out of contract.

also, Dishonored 2 is really good.

legend166

Overdone rant alert: stupid property prices in Sydney are ridiculous. Somehow I've got myself into a job where I'm earning comfortably more than the average wage in NSW, and I still can't afford to buy a house 60km out of the stupid CBD. House prices in the suburb we rent in (and are also looking to buy) have increased 56% in four years. Now it's at 650k. To live 60km out of the city! And we pretty much can't move anywhere else in Sydney because it'll either get too expensive or the travel into work just becomes prohibitive.

Then we have to compete in a marketplace where every other annoying couple in their twenties is getting significant help from their parents. Neither sets of parents are in a position to help us out, which is fine and they shouldn't have to, but when you're competing in a market where it's the norm it really puts you on the back foot.

We want to move cities completely but we're just about to have our first baby so we don't want to leave family.

Screw Sydney and any old baby boomer sitting on five properties they bought for twenty bucks and now get significant tax benefits for owning.

Darren870

Overdone rant alert: stupid property prices in Sydney are ridiculous. Somehow I've got myself into a job where I'm earning comfortably more than the average wage in NSW, and I still can't afford to buy a house 60km out of the stupid CBD. House prices in the suburb we rent in (and are also looking to buy) have increased 56% in four years. Now it's at 650k. To live 60km out of the city! And we pretty much can't move anywhere else in Sydney because it'll either get too expensive or the travel into work just becomes prohibitive.

Then we have to compete in a marketplace where every other annoying couple in their twenties is getting significant help from their parents. Neither sets of parents are in a position to help us out, which is fine and they shouldn't have to, but when you're competing in a market where it's the norm it really puts you on the back foot.

We want to move cities completely but we're just about to have our first baby so we don't want to leave family.

Screw Sydney and any old baby boomer sitting on five properties they bought for twenty bucks and now get significant tax benefits for owning.

Move to Melbourne. The offer still stands if you want a recommendation :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom