• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
you'll probably get business again if there is room

i'm guessing activision has a qantas account, they tend to upgrade those people to keep the accounts happy ;)

Jintor

Happened in Syd too. It's a single flightplan, you know. Might get upgraded at the gate I guess, but seems unlikely. Still more worried about customs.

Choc

Banned
Happened in Syd too. It's a single flightplan, you know. Might get upgraded at the gate I guess, but seems unlikely. Still more worried about customs.

yeah no i know it happens when the airlines have an alliance. Alaska must be part of One World then.

Jintor

I might just nap for the three hour... and also for the 14 hour... but if not I have Rhythm Heaven, Ouendan 2 and TWEWY lined up on my 3DS.

Or I might just play even more World Cruise Story.

I've listened to episodes 20-47 of Idle Thumbs Classic so far this trip.

Yagharek

The first one is the low poly comment, yes?

If only more people caught on. Pixel counting is the worst thing to listen to this gen, after last gen's incessant whining about ovals and jaggies.

More Zelda love today....

Last night I reached a rather significant point in the game. All I'll say is that this particular location has such a wonderful ambience and the music is beautifully subdued. The most recent boss encounter prior to it was also another excellent spectacle.

More generally, the controls for this game are sublime. I cannot imagine playing a third person sword wielding game without these controls as an option anymore. After playing it last night I went to sleep thinking about how perfectly realised they are and how I hope it's a new standard. Then this morning I see in Gaming side that they are retaining motion controls for Wii U Zelda.

Edit: removed the name even in spoilers so none shall follow codswallop. Sorry man.

jambo

If only more people caught on. Pixel counting is the worst thing to listen to this gen, after last gen's incessant whining about ovals and jaggies.

Only people with under 4 million pixels on their screens think like this.

Newbs.

Kritz

Banned
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS TONIGHT - 7PM

MUMBLE
RPTOOLS
CHARACTER SHEETS
STEAM CHAT
CAPITAL LETTERS
RULEBOOKS

IT'S ALL HAPPENING

Yagharek

Ahh shit. I removed it in any case, I tried to be as specific outside the spoiler as to why you shouldnt highlight it. :(

No more spoilers from me in this thread then, only general comments.

Eh, it's not your fault, I was just going to respond to the pixel counting comment with some smart arse quip how we'd never have any progress if everyone thought like that, so it's probably well deserved.

He also gave me The Watchmen because um, he figured I'd enjoy a deconstruction of comic book superheros. I haven't started it yet. I've seen the movie but I've been told the book is different enough and also pretty good.
I actually thought the movie did a fantastic job of sticking to the original material. A few plot lines had to be dropped (most of which were reinstated on the DVD release) but it translated over quite well.

Thinking the preacher could be my next comic adventure.
Preacher is damn good. Also check out his run on Hellblazer.

Speaking of which, I need to grab Transmetropolitan and my own goddamn copy of Y The Last Man.
Trans is indeed fantastic.

Scott Pilgrim was a very big moment for me. Started out fun and enjoyable before I eventually realised a lot of things about myself. Especially how tiny things that we do can have a huge affect on other people. Even to the point where I apologised to an ex-girlfriend who screwed me around big time and I then cut out of my life. The idea of keeping the complete picture in mind with everything I do has paid off really well and I think made me a much better person for it.
Found the last 2 volumes to be a very meloncolic experience.

I'm-a gonna try and get off work early so we can sink some piss. Movie would probably take away from the piss-sinking, so that's where I stand on THAT.

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS TONIGHT - 7PM

MUMBLE
RPTOOLS
CHARACTER SHEETS
STEAM CHAT
CAPITAL LETTERS
RULEBOOKS

IT'S ALL HAPPENING

FK why tonight kritz, the one night i can't do it this week
can you please send link me to what i need in a PM so i can grab it later.
Would it be cool if i join in with you guys next session?

Deeku

More Zelda love today....

Last night I reached a rather significant point in the game. All I'll say is that this particular location has such a wonderful ambience and the music is beautifully subdued. The most recent boss encounter prior to it was also another excellent spectacle.

More generally, the controls for this game are sublime. I cannot imagine playing a third person sword wielding game without these controls as an option anymore. After playing it last night I went to sleep thinking about how perfectly realised they are and how I hope it's a new standard. Then this morning I see in Gaming side that they are retaining motion controls for Wii U Zelda.

Edit: removed the name even in spoilers so none shall follow codswallop. Sorry man.
I think I know what you're talking about. I got chills during that scene, CHILLS!

Choc

Banned
jb hifi is gonna rely oin a huge data plan for phones right

it does not download to phone to listen offline?

guys i want them to bring back police quest :(

come on Telltale!

Choc

Banned
did you guys see that jetstar plane that got 50k's from the ground well out of melbourne airport

Tiger was grounded for being 500m close to the ground at the wrong point yet jetstar is not.....

also, reading into it, its incredibly hard to do that in a modern jet. I play simulators a lot (yeah i know i know its not a real plane but it does simulate the real systems) and the planes pretty much land themselves these days aside from the final 500 feet.

So how the heck they managed to do that is amazing, they would have had to ignore a major glideslope warning, a GPWS (ground proxmity warning) and a big warning that their flaps were set wrong

Jetstar has sent them both back to pilot school, but seriously they must have had the Autopilot off big time.

Not saying a simulator is anything like the real aircraft (aside from those they use to train pilots), and not saying i could pass the instruments test that they need to, but having done a lot of research as to how this all works and putting hours into learning it in a sim, its hard to see how a pilot with 1000s of hours of experience could create such a big problem for themselvs.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This is what I got in our support inbox before 12pm.

URGENT, phone urgently, URGENT, please urgently advise,
Please Phone, get this updated asap, URGENT, URGENT, SUPPORT PLS PH, PLS PH, can you call me as soon as possible, redirect for me asap.

Each one is a different email or call request.

Choc

Banned
Maybe Jetstar only employee trainee pilots? Or maybe some pilots watch too much Top Gun. Or maybe they were busy bangin' stewards.

they have first officers with only 300 flight hours

that, is insanity.

you are generally a second officer for at least 1500-2000 hours apparently.

Try again!

Also how about Stephen Fuckin' Conroy?

I was just going to post that. Hilarious. Although he does make a good point. The debate the role of taxation has devolved to the point of nonsense.

You know, if he didn't try to ban the internet I think I'd like Conroy. He seems like one of the few politicians around that has an actual personality. And isn't Bob Katter

Yagharek

did you guys see that jetstar plane that got 50k's from the ground well out of melbourne airport

50k's? What unit of measurement is this? Aviation industry uses feet for height and nautical miles for distance.

50 K's from the ground?

So 164,042 feet?

Wow, that's pretty high.

Quite high.

sigh

50 feet i meant :) sorry

Quite low.

past the ozone layer even.

Approximately one-six-thousandth the way to the Moon even.

A JETSTAR Airbus A320 slipped to within 51 metres of the ground during a botched, aborted landing at Melbourne airport, as pilots fumbled with wrong flap settings and a cacophony of cockpit alarms, Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigators have found.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...used-errors-20111212-1ori8.html#ixzz1gO2bcbdn

ok metres

i was surprised it was metres, still, crazy

It's metres now, is it? My uni physics brain is hurting thanks to your complete and utter abuse of measurement systems and interchanging units willy-nilly.

Go sit in the naughty corner for 120 Coulomb's per Ampere and have a think about what you have done.

Choc

Banned
Melbourne Airport has this setup

Category III B – A precision instrument approach and landing with:
a) a decision height lower than 50 feet (15 m) above touchdown zone elevation, or no decision height (alert height); and
b) a runway visual range less than 200 meters (660 ft) but not less than 75 meters (246 ft). Autopilot is used until taxi-speed. In the United States, FAA criteria for CAT III B runway visual range allows readings as low as 150 ft (46 m).

If you are making a decision to land or not at 15 metres, the plane is landing itself pretty much.

London Heathrow has a system which allows 747s, A330s, A340s and A380s to land without any pilot intervention. This is due to the mega fog they get. There is video of a Air New Zealand 747 performing a full CAT III ILS approach @ Heathrow on youtube.

Yagharek

Eh, it's not your fault, I was just going to respond to the pixel counting comment with some smart arse quip how we'd never have any progress if everyone thought like that, so it's probably well deserved.

I know its not my fault, but forget the spoiler entirely as I got the names mixed up. I wont even say what I was wrong about.

Clipper

Orbi can't make tonight's DnD after all, so there might be room for a different new character if anyone has the whole night free from 6pm or so (no guarantees). We start the campaign at 7 and we need to create your character before then, but we can roll something for you based on a few decisions you make pretty quick, so if interested, pop into the Steam chat.

Got my new glasses today from Clearly Contacts after only 5 days. Super fast! Too bad I didn't look at the frames properly so they are like half an inch smaller than my other ones so they don't cover my whole eye. Fuck!

Going from 25mm to 32mm so hopefully that will fix that issue. Plus hopefully they will exchange them out of the kindness of their heart.

Top Bottom