• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yagharek

I remember when I last had a firmware update (before 4.0) and somehow the icons for each of the channels had completely disappeared for no reason. Never did work out how the fuck they came back, but they did eventually reappear. Fucking Sony.

And I'm actually getting used to the new UI on the 360. You can always be fairly sure that if they've made a choice in design, there's usually a good reason. With Sony, it's more "Oh shit, we have to put a frontend on this thing?".

Aaaaand, "Not enough memory" again. If it can't handle a fucking browser, no wonder Skyrim has issues.

I know what you mean RE: icons disappearing. I think the solution was to load up a PAL region game. Makes no sense, but whatever. Sony are nuts in that regard.

Personally I have disliked all the 360 UI changes. They never seem to be easy to navigate in terms of efficiently finding what you're after. I guess it's a sign of MS' focus. Their primary goal is to send you to the marketplace and for that it works. I know with the last NXE it was actually hard to find the "Games I own" ie XBLA games if I didnt use them for a while.

Sony seems to make it equally easy to find anything - a very utilitarian design in that regard. Maybe because I have a maths/physics background and thus a methodical thought pattern that works well for me.

My preference from a UI point of view is the Wii channels though. Everything you have bought is prominent. Everything you might want to use is prominent. And you can customise the layout to suit your preferences. The lack of storage/fridge solution is the only thing that limits it, as well as the store layout. Personally the Wii shop channel itself could work well as a set of channel sub-menus - ie sort of like a "what's showing now" multiview.

edit: top of page. Also skyrim has issues because bethesda are incompetent, corrupt liars.

Kritz

Banned
And I'm actually getting used to the new UI on the 360. You can always be fairly sure that if they've made a choice in design, there's usually a good reason.
WE NEED MORE ADS, JACOB! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, WE'RE ALREADY ADVERTISING EVERY PRODUCT IN EXISTANCE?! MAKE MORE OF THEM!

AND BRING MORE PICTURES OF SPIDERMAN!

Shaneus

WE NEED MORE ADS, JACOB! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, WE'RE ALREADY ADVERTISING EVERY PRODUCT IN EXISTANCE?! MAKE MORE OF THEM!

AND BRING MORE PICTURES OF SPIDERMAN!
Hey, the UI itself is fine. The content therein is another matter ;)

BTW Shadows of the Damned intro is AWESOME. Love how the main character knew the gateway to hell was just beyond the sound barrier because of the the internet, lololol.

I think I'm going to love this game :D

Sound compression is fucking horrible though. So warbly :(

Kritz

Banned
Shadow of the damned looked awesome until I saw what kind of game it was.

I think I'd prefer a cart racer to another close up, small fov, slow moving shooter. Or, y'know, a pc port. :( can't aim for shit with PS3 controllers.

Shaneus

Shadow of the damned looked awesome until I saw what kind of game it was.

I think I'd prefer a cart racer to another close up, small fov, slow moving shooter. Or, y'know, a pc port. :( can't aim for shit with PS3 controllers.
Eh, much like Vanquish I'm playing it as much for the story and atmosphere as much as for the core game elements. From what I've played of HotD Overkill, this comes very close in style and execution, if not surpasses it.

Darklord

Banned
Where's a good place to take a chick in Melbourne? First date, nothing overly seriously sort of place maybe with more a group as well. I know places in Brisbane and Sydney but have no idea here. Anything, throw it out there.

Deeku

:eek:

Would it happen to be that chick that you never met in person that kept texting you?

don't ask me why I remember random stuff from this thread lol

Darklord

Banned
:eek:

Would it happen to be that chick that you never met in person that kept texting you?

don't ask me why I remember random stuff from this thread lol

Haha, damn how do you remember that! Actually no, I haven't met her yet. She was a bit annoying. This is a girl from work. I wanna ask her out but don't know where to go in Melbourne. A know a few places at the moment but eh, not first date(if that even, first going out) kinda things.

Hey! I didn't buy a new queen size bed to sleep alone here.

...Actually, I did but a sexy lady is always welcome.

Where's a good place to take a chick in Melbourne? First date, nothing overly seriously sort of place maybe with more a group as well. I know places in Brisbane and Sydney but have no idea here. Anything, throw it out there.
Chicks love Apple Stores. Go look at iPhones or something.

Actually take her the library. Chicks dig knowledge and Edison and shit

Kritz

Banned
Eh, much like Vanquish I'm playing it as much for the story and atmosphere as much as for the core game elements. From what I've played of HotD Overkill, this comes very close in style and execution, if not surpasses it.

In vanquish you kinda have a bit more room to be sloppy, though. Note I haven't actually played SotD, so whatever. Talking out my ass and all that. I find that if I don't enjoy the mechanics, it's very hard for me to continue playing. And I'm not even one of those "GAMPLEAY >>>>>>>>>>>>///// GRAPHJCIX STORY LOL" types.

Seems like it could be a good game to get cheap next year and give it a try, even if the gameplay won't appeal to me.

Kritz

Banned
"So, we were thinking, for the guest comic. We had this great idea where we'd take that one XKCD strip and, um.

That's as far as we got. Here you go!"

i-mW8LKWk-L.jpg

Carlton? The Italian restaurants there are amazing. Italian's pretty safe for a first date right? Only downside is its fairly pricey. There are a bunch of restaurants if you walk down Lygon St, but if you need a recommendation University Cafe is nice.

guidop

Give me an area perhaps, there are a few good casual places on Smith Street, Collingwood. Lygon is okay but pretty shit if I'm being honest though D.O.C make the best pizza in Melbourne and the same people own a cafe / pasta bar around the corner on lygon street otherswise most Italian places on lygon are shit staffed by cheap back packers not great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ahh, I see the 3DS eShop is still a joke.

Really baffling how Nintendo continues to keep it in this state.

Jintor

I don't understand why they don't understand online!

All you really need to do is slavishly imitate steam. Everything else is just a bonus.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Steam is the poster child for online done right, but even the eShop has such huge, blatant problems that could be fixed so easily. At the very least allow the eShop menu to be scaled in size just like the 3DS home menu.

Jintor

What the fuck? Vista just rebooted itself to update itself while I was in the middle of a combo in Arkham City. What the fucking shit?

Darklord

Banned
Carlton? The Italian restaurants there are amazing. Italian's pretty safe for a first date right? Only downside is its fairly pricey. There are a bunch of restaurants if you walk down Lygon St, but if you need a recommendation University Cafe is nice.

Yeah that could be good. I dunno if I want it to be a dinner date though. I want it to be casual, easy going. Something to do. Like have a coffee or lunch at a nice cafe and go somewhere after. Moneys no worry though. I'm just not that great at 1 on 1 conversations. I get brain freezes or something but if we're doing something then it's got our minds on that, something to talk about it lightens that load.

Give me an area perhaps, there are a few good casual places on Smith Street, Collingwood. Lygon is okay but pretty shit if I'm being honest though D.O.C make the best pizza in Melbourne and the same people own a cafe / pasta bar around the corner on lygon street otherswise most Italian places on lygon are shit staffed by cheap back packers not great.

I'm south east melbourne but city is fine too.

Shaneus

Seems like it could be a good game to get cheap next year and give it a try, even if the gameplay won't appeal to me.
It's cheap now, actually. I think I paid *maybe* a bee's dick over $20 from Zavvi. You think I would've added to my collection if it was RRP? Bahahahahahahaha.

commissar

I thought Vista's update/restart dialogue box just popped up to the front once it's done?

In the middle of a combo you probably accepted the restart before it was even drawn on screen haha.

Happened to me once (edit: on Win XP)

Jintor

Maybe... I was using a 360 pad though, so that's kind of weird.

Yes, the firefox header hack started working again for dailyshow vids. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Choc

Banned
Jintor did you leave a bear in the middle of vancouver?

A male black bear took an improbable road trip after he hitched a ride on a garbage truck and ended up in downtown Vancouver, Canada, Monday.
Believed to be up to 18 months old, the bear was caught on video roaming on top of a garbage truck as conservation officers climbed the truck in order to tranquillize the bear, all in the heart of downtown Vancouver. It’s unclear where the bear hitched the ride.

midonnay

Craig Thomson - the gift that keeps on giving :/

http://www.smh.com.au/national/craig-thomson-mp-turned-plagiarist-20111214-1ov0u.html

Mr Thomson spent at least $23,899 of his overseas travel entitlement on a 42-day tour, from March 26 to May 8, visiting Britain, Ireland, France, Spain and the US.
Advertisement: Story continues below

He subsequently sent Mr Gray a report titled The Global Financial Crisis - The European and US Experience - Lessons learnt and future expectations. More than two-thirds of the report's 33 pages, including most of its analysis and commentary, has been cut and pasted from internet sources.

Mr Thomson's discussion of US fiscal policy turns out to be the text of a speech given by John Lipsky, first deputy managing director of the International Monetary Fund, to an economic conference in Denver, Colorado, on January 8, 2011. The text in Mr Thomson's report is unchanged, paragraph after paragraph, from Mr Lipsky's speech.

Mr Thomson's analysis of European Union financial reforms has been cut and pasted from a speech given by European Commission member Michael Barnier in Vilnius, Lithuania, on September 8, four months after Mr Thomson returned to Australia.

Much of Mr Thomson's discussion of economic conditions in Ireland and Spain has been taken from Wikipedia articles including texts labelled ''outdated'' and needing ''clean-up to

meet Wikipedia's quality standards''.

He also presented as his own work, extracts and summaries from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development reports on healthcare and housing finance, and published commentary on US financial regulatory reforms.

He wrote that his trip ''provided an invaluable insight into the economies of key countries in Europe and the US on a multifaceted basis with discussions occurring at national, state and local government levels, with industry and the finance sectors, central banks and labour unions''.

But while his report lists meetings in London, Dublin, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and New York, he makes only one direct reference to the content of any specific discussion.

Fredescu

Nothing wrong with Vista. Apple did a great marketing job making everyone hate it.
There were some problems with OEMs not speccing enough RAM in Vista machines and leaving all the bells and whistles in the GUI turned on. This led to people saying Vista was slow, which it was with 1GB of RAM, which contributed to it's bad reputation. It's much better than XP, especially the 64bit version.

There were some problems with OEMs not speccing enough RAM in Vista machines and leaving all the bells and whistles in the GUI turned on. This led to people saying Vista was slow, which it was with 1GB of RAM, which contributed to it's bad reputation. It's much better than XP, especially the 64bit version.
Oh yeah, it was definitely a bumpy ride for OEMs, Microsoft and end users, but I've maintained for a long time that the OS wasn't really very bad.

Microsoft did a herculean marketing job to turn it around with Windows 7, which is really just Windows 98 SE IMO.

Choc

Banned
Vista's UAC was shit

7s is tuned properly

edit

THE stellar performance of students at NSW selective high schools continues apace with only one private school, Moriah College, making the top 10 of the Herald's annual list of top-performing schools as judged by HSC results.

So, parents, how's that 10,000's a year treating you right now? shit? good. Private schools are for pricks and get way to much funding.

Top Bottom