• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Fogz

Finally had a gutful of TPG. Only 2 months left on my contract and only 50 bucks to break it so churning over to Bigpond.

legend166

Ok so if you're in on the wilflare gift add your name to the list:

legend166
kritz
3chopl0x
remz
jambo
reptile
evlcookie

Then send me a PM for the PayPal info. I will then buy the game (Skyrims) from greenmangaming and send wilflare a PM with the code.

If we get 10 people it will be $5.30 each.

does this thread include nzgaf? or are we too insignificant
I can do a mean aussie impression though
Everyone is welcome as long as you bring lots of points to discuss! As a half-kiwi I think fondly of NZ. Also my NZ grandparents and uncle are loaded and will pass down many Mustangs to me. Also our backpacking trip was full of beautiful women, tasty beer and food and green foliage as far as the eye could see back in the time when even Geelong was dry as a bone.

Would also be cool to find out about the differences in practises over there.

Sh33pFucker?
More sheep per head in Australia than NZ pigfucker.

according to the Oz, more than 7000 tremors since the biggie ._.

thats like a subtle nudge to gtfo.
After shocks are almost guaranteed after a big quake, since after all that is how to predict a big one coming (so therefore going).

Everyone is welcome as long as you bring lots of points to discuss! As a half-kiwi I think fondly of NZ. Also my NZ grandparents and uncle are loaded and will pass down many Mustangs to me. Also our backpacking trip was full of beautiful women, tasty beer and food and green foliage as far as the eye could see back in the time when even Geelong was dry as a bone.

yep thats... yep.
trying real hard not to get banned here.

wilflare

to AusGAF and especially the following folks,
legend166
kritz
3chopl0x
remz
jambo
reptile
evlcookie
Rahk
fappenmeister

thank you for the Christmas present of Skyrim :D
beats SantaGabe any day!

was reading the posts, and was really touched!

thanks for making my Christmas a MERRY one!

please let me know if you need my help with regional pricing, any day any time!

legend166
kritz
3chopl0x
remz
jambo
reptile
evlcookie
Rahk
fappenmeister

beats SantaGabe any day!

No problems mate, you have been a shining example of everything that is great about online community's and gamers in general. If more people of every walk of life were as helpful and considerate as you the world would be a much better place. Enjoy the Skyrim's but don't get TOO addicted!

remz

Don't thank rahk and remz just yet!

._.
Done as!

legend166
kritz
3chopl0x
remz
jambo
reptile
evlcookie
Rahk
fappenmeister

beats SantaGabe any day!

Dude, it's a pleasure to buy you (or atleast contribute to) a game. You're an absolute champion. So good helping us out with pricing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! AHAHAH

You could all chip in and buy me skyrim too, instead of a lump of coal.

Hey I offered to buy you Skyrim out of my own pocket!

The one thing I want from the industry is more people giving their OPINION on games in great detail. RPS used to do fantastic diaries on games like Oblivion which really gave a proper view on how it plays out over the 60 odd hours.

EDIT: So is War In The North Steam redeemable????

Yagharek

There must be an impossible pressure on reviewers. Not to paint it as an excuse, but you have to deal with (presumably):
Publisher pressure
Print/release date deadlines
Relevance at release
Length of games to get an accurate impression
Vocal fan expectations
Backlash from readers who feel misled by pandering to the aforementioned interests.

I reckon the safe way to judge is to check out the complaints threads a month after a big game releases, as that's where you find out what the real problems are and whether they will affect you. OTs for AAA games are just circle jerks.

For smaller games though, OTs are a very handy resource that hasn't been badly infected with PR.

There must be an impossible pressure on reviewers. Not to paint it as an excuse, but you have to deal with (presumably):
Publisher pressure
Print/release date deadlines
Relevance at release
Length of games to get an accurate impression
Vocal fan expectations
Backlash from readers who feel misled by pandering to the aforementioned interests.

I reckon the safe way to judge is to check out the complaints threads a month after a big game releases, as that's where you find out what the real problems are and whether they will affect you. OTs for AAA games are just circle jerks.

For smaller games though, OTs are a very handy resource that hasn't been badly infected with PR.

Not talking about publisher mandated reviews (but I do agree about the current (and for the last 8 years) situation of reviewers who must suck the publisher rent paying teet) more the dedicated opinion pieces by ENTHUSIASTS of the medium who actually play games for their enjoyment, much like the consumers themselves. I don't want a review waxing lyrical on the relation between the skybox and the popes latest diatribe. I want to know how the hell it will run on my system/console and if it hits the points that will make me ENJOY the damn thing.

Fun is Number One. No fucking less. Design is law, etc.

Choc

Banned
pissed off

Choc: aus current affair fucking just spent twenty fucking minutes having one massive ad for the dj and myer sales
Choc: FUCKING DISGRACEFUL
Choc: didnt even say its advertorial because sorry IT FUCKING IS

pissed off

Choc: aus current affair fucking just spent twenty fucking minutes having one massive ad for the dj and myer sales
Choc: FUCKING DISGRACEFUL
Choc: didnt even say its advertorial because sorry IT FUCKING IS

lol ACA? You take that stuff seriously? They break every journalistic ethic with every piece. This is what the public wants Choc.

Choc

Banned
i dont but its a fuckin disgrace that a television show is allowed to have a 30 minute ad without declaring that they got paid for it

because guess fucking what, they surely did.

remz

i dont but its a fuckin disgrace that a television show is allowed to have a 30 minute ad without declaring that they got paid for it

There are so many stories on ACA that scream "paid advertorial" yet thery never say anything to the effect of that... I've always wondered.

I'm sure they would be found to be in disrepute of something every damn episode if someone actually bothered to take the to task for it. Would prefer to see it just taken off the air because of their misinformation to be honest. I've seen a few interviews with people that obviously had no intention of giving an interview if they knew who they were talking to.

Choc

Banned
I'm sure they would be found to be in disrepute of something every damn episode if someone actually bothered to take the to task for it. Would prefer to see it just taken off the air because of their misinformation to be honest. I've seen a few interviews with people that obviously had no intention of giving an interview if they knew who they were talking to.

thats illegal in every state except QLD. Blight needs to get with the fucking times on that one asap

midonnay

its interesting though that radio broadcasters like John Laws were fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing the same thing.

I guess television is treated different from radio? (and if so, they shouldn't be. Both are renting public electromagnetic spectrum to broadcast)

Also Rise of Immortals is shit.

thats illegal in every state except QLD. Blight needs to get with the fucking times on that one asap

I do remember them doing a refugee related interview under very, impressively, strict conditions to make sure they wouldn't get in trouble. Obviously they don't care when it isn't a big federal government issue though. Have no respect for anyone involved in ACA or the Channel 9 equivalent.

I found Derryn Hinch's ultimatum this week to be very impressive.

Shaneus

Oh shit, DR2: Off the Record is $20 on Steam. That's exactly the same price as in that 2 fer $40 dealio on OGC. Do I wait or jump in?

Glad to see wilflare get his just desserts... I've never taken him up on any offers (actually, I possibly have) but he's always shot a PM to ask to help out. Sorry I couldn't contribute, he's one of the nicer guys around these parts :)

reptile: Got my Steel Series mouse mat thing today. My right hand smells like rubber. Even moreso after I used the mat!

Sonic Generations is surprisingly a bit fun. The classic Sonic has a few little anomalies that catch me off-guard (like not being able to turn into a ball at some points, gravity feels a tad wonky) but his bits are enjoyable. Modern Sonic feels like little more than some QTEs with a bit more interactivity, but they sure look good. I actually choked up a little when I saw classic Sonic and heard the updated GHZ music, because I knew that this is probably the last time we'd ever see Sonic in his non-talking, adorably chubby form. Sad :(

He can be polarising, offensive and downright rude at times, but damned if I don't respect him for sticking up for his principles. Never an actual joy to listen to (and to be honest, often awkward and confronting) but I always come away with an opinion after hearing him on a topic, either agreeing or disagreeing with him. And that's always a good thing, to make people draw a line in the sand rather than sit on the fence.

Dead Man

Also Rise of Immortals is shit.

I do remember them doing a refugee related interview under very, impressively, strict conditions to make sure they wouldn't get in trouble. Obviously they don't care when it isn't a big federal government issue though. Have no respect for anyone involved in ACA or the Channel 9 equivalent.

I found Derryn Hinch's ultimatum this week to be very impressive.

I don't. The guy is a numpty. He is just baying for blood to get attention.

reptile: Got my Steel Series mouse mat thing today. My right hand smells like rubber. Even moreso after I used the mat!

Sonic Generations is surprisingly a bit fun.

I always come away with an opinion after hearing him on a topic, either agreeing or disagreeing with him. And that's always a good thing, to make people draw a line in the sand rather than sit on the fence.
Love the mat, perfect size for my deks and works perfect with the mouse while being the right amount of cushion for my wrist.

Sonic Colours was fantastic! Sonic Underground was great in the daytime! Why doesn't anyone listen to me? :(

That is the main thing. More people need to voice their opinion rather than letting other people speak for them. Be informed and be assertive and we will all live much happier.

ACA viewers deserve to endure boxing day sales at big department stores. Fuck em.
They deserve to believe the low fat alternatives peddled to them and grow fat and stupid. Think for yourselves morons!

Yagharek

The thing is, its not just aca and today tonight. Its all ch7 news, sunrise, today, the project etc. They are all adverts and news for idiots by idiots. With agendas.

The level of news in this country outside of sbs and abc is worthless.

elektrixx

Banned
I knew this would happen:

b4aaba66.jpg

Shaneus

Love the mat, perfect size for my deks and works perfect with the mouse while being the right amount of cushion for my wrist.

Sonic Colours was fantastic! Sonic Underground was great in the daytime! Why doesn't anyone listen to me? :(

That is the main thing. More people need to voice their opinion rather than letting other people speak for them. Be informed and be assertive and we will all live much happier.

I did listen! I wouldn't have the mat otherwise :p I was just always skeptical of what whoever Sonic Team is now would do. Having said that, I'd give my left nut to have the style of graphics assets from Generations combined with the game engine (physics etc.) from the one that guy made which found it's way into Sonic CD. New, hot-shit graphics with exactly the same physics and playability of the first games.

And yeah, I didn't mean it to imply that I got my opinion from him (I don't think you're saying that, but I'm just clarifying) but more forced to have one, which is a positive thing. Anything to force both myself and the general populace out of a perpetual state of apathy is a good thing.

Edit: The last purchase I made off of Origin was a bunch of free shit from a bug they had a month or so ago. Still haven't claimed it.

Edit #2: New League, bitches. Final two episodes for the season! Also, they got renewed for a fourth :D If only the same could be guaranteed for Community :(

20% coupon is a nice touch at least! Hopefully it works with their big sale items at the moment, might get a good deal.

Oh man, Sonic CD seems so great but I STILL haven't bought it because I know I won't play it any time soon with Sonic 3 & Knuckles lying around unplayed since I was a kid. The Sonic Fan project looked incredible, should check up on it.

Yeah I wasn't implying that, just that the usually scatterbrain Hinch is on the money about the Naming of Sex Offenders law. I want to know my kid is safe. I won't pretend that paedophiles are monsters who prey on the powerless, it is something innate in them that they are attracted to them, a condition that you can't hold against them. They need to be held accountable and punished to the full extent of the law but I won't demon-ise them. As long as I know where they are in relation to my kid (or other peoples kids) I am happy.

EDIT: FINALE! Also sorry Shaneus, keep forgetting to bring up the HBO cancellations. Hung (which I had planned on checking out next season as Tom Jane is the boss), Bored To Death (same, wanted to wait until next season to make sure it would stick around) and How To Make It In America all cancelled.

EDIT 2: Oh SHIT! Prometheus looks like Dead Space meets Alien in the best way possible! AAA grade cast in Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, and Guy Pearce along with one of the best Directors of all time in Ridley Scott makes my waters boil for middle of next year along with the final Batman!

Shaneus

Ah shit. Haven't cared for the other two (Bored never really grabbed me. Too quirky and Wes Anderson-y. Hung, just never got around to it) but I'm disappointed about How to Make it. So that's sitting at 2 seasons or 3?

Don't know what I'll do for me Entourage-y fix now. There's nothing much else that could fill that void, I fear.

Actually, I'm a little heartbroken about that. I watched the first few eps of America but was going to spend this break catching up. Will still do so, but... will just feel kind of pointless, I guess. Was always a cool novelty seeing Kid Cudi show off his acting chops. Oh, and Gina Gershon who, despite the touch of plastic surgery she's had, still looks foxy as hell. Not as much as Jennifer Tilly (who's 50 or something now!) but still holds up.

BRB. Bound fap.

Top Bottom