• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Jintor

I'm really on the fence about books, particularly since my parents/brother have gotten really into borrowing (stealing) mine and broadening their minds. Which is great, but impossible with the Kindle.

On the other hand, immediate Kindle functionality is super attractive (five second weight v 2 week or more weight) and I can take, like, a tonne of books with me when I travel that would be impossible otherwise. Not to mention it's so much easier to just impulse buy crap on the store.

Still, I suspect what will happen is that I will use the Kindle versions as a test case and then just buy the books I really like.

MrSerrels

I'm really on the fence about books, particularly since my parents/brother have gotten really into borrowing (stealing) mine and broadening their minds. Which is great, but impossible with the Kindle.

On the other hand, immediate Kindle functionality is super attractive (five second weight v 2 week or more weight) and I can take, like, a tonne of books with me when I travel that would be impossible otherwise. Not to mention it's so much easier to just impulse buy crap on the store.

Still, I suspect what will happen is that I will use the Kindle versions as a test case and then just buy the books I really like.

That's a really interesting point -- sharing books is so important. Swapping, recommending, etc. That's how you discover most of the books you love.

Dead Man

That sucks. I can understand the use of the reasoning of not wanting to take unskilled, adult labour but to say no to kids who would grow up with a huge appreciation for what our country has done for them is pretty fucked. I thought we have a duty of care to people who would be in danger if we sent them back? I'm not a fan of letting everyone in but we have to be reasonable about it. If people will die being sent back then we need to find SOMEWHERE for them. Must be somewhere in the world short on people.
Yeah, regardless of your views on adults, I can't see sending kids back as being a good thing.
Damn, what a terrible situation. How old are the kids?

Early teens. Kid will be okay, but his friend is pretty shook up.

Fredescu

It just took me 30 seconds to remove the DRM from my purchased copy of Daniel Dennett's Freedom Evolves and convert it to PDF. PM me if you'd like to borrow it.

Also, the reason I bought this particular book is because I read the first fifty pages or so that the store provided as a sample for free.

Yagharek

When I travel its usually for work and for 1-3 months. I have enough room to pack maybe 3-4 books and that usually does me more than enough. I see no need to carry around a dozen or a few gigs worth. I won't get to them.

I get that people will like ereaders, but at the same time I hold to the argument "do you really need that many books with you on the road?"

Its a bit different to music, tv, films etc obviously, since they are a much shorter time investment.

If I'm off for work I'll tend to take a few books, a tv series or two, and my (now 3)DS. That's plenty.

Jintor

People read differently. I tear through books like crazy. I read four of the Hitch-Hiker's books while on the road, as well as a book of film/movie interviews with Studs Turkle and was reading three books at once on the Kindle at about the same time (including a rather large textbook-style tome that wouldn't have fit in my luggage).

/edit Oh yeah, Sampling is so much easier with the Kindle. One-click - sample delivered to kindle - flick through, see if you like it. I hate hanging out in bookstores looking for something to randomly browse through. Kindle, I read somewhere on the internet a recommendation and take a look. But... it's easier in some ways, and more difficult in others, I suppose.

Deeku

When I sat next to jintor at uni library, I was stunned and amazed by how he could simultaneously read (quickly) what I assumed to be pretty intellectual books on his kindle, then switch to writing an essay, and then switch to multiple gaf threads and post something, then back to the e-reader sampling another book. It was crazy!

Shaneus

Yeah, regardless of your views on adults, I can't see sending kids back as being a good thing.

Early teens. Kid will be okay, but his friend is pretty shook up.
That's fucked. To be honest, I'd never even contemplated the refugee "thing" in terms of adults and kids, just 'fugees. But thinking about it, there really is no reason not to allow kids up to the age of 18 to stay unless there's something severely wrong with them, like a hardcore criminal record in their home country or they're mentally unstable (to the point of violent crime)... something like that. They're just fucking kids though. Guaranteed that they'd be so grateful for a chance at a new life that they'd pay society back tenfold with hard work and respect for their new-found countrymen.

Ugh, that just makes me weep. Poor bastards :(

I don't understand how people function without dual monitors nowadays. Multitasking ho!
Easy. Desktop PC is for gaming, subnotebook on couch is for everything else. At work I have two monitors, though.

And this new Steam sale, just not finding myself getting into it, despite me actually being unable to sleep during the last few. You'd think I'd be going MORE nuts now I have a capable PC.

Fake edit: On second thought, I might grab Lego Batman. Fuck knows why, but for $6 why the fuck not? Can't be worse than any of the other Lego games I've played (that I enjoyed). Impressions?

Real edit: Fucking hell. Danny Elfman did the score for it. Guess I'll have to reach for my wallet then...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I might grab Blur today for $5. I think that's the cheapest it's been right?

I doubt anyone actually plays it anymore but everyone did say it was an interesting and fun take on racing.

I get that people will like ereaders, but at the same time I hold to the argument "do you really need that many books with you on the road?"
My main argument for eReaders is the OH&S improvements made by not having to hold one of those damn massive books in my gf's dainty little hands. Once she had all her Bryce Courtney books loaded onto the Kindle it hit her how fucking massive they are and how they take up an entire corner of our garage.
She can even take it everywhere she goes in her handbag.

Looking forward to grabbing it next week and sitting out in the sun and reading a random Terry Pratchett book I haven't read in a while. Also that new Assassin's Creed book might be okay.

I don't understand how people function without dual monitors nowadays. Multitasking ho!
Still waiting on dual monitors at work, the systems tech in Melbourne said we don't need them as it is just as easy to click along the taskbar! God he is such a dick.

Fogz

War in the North 60% off at Green Man Gaming, bringing it down to $12.32 using the code WARIN-SNOWY-NORTH

Would be a similar price for Arkham City using the code JOLLY-BRUCE-WAYNE which is active on the 26th only

legend166

That's fucked. To be honest, I'd never even contemplated the refugee "thing" in terms of adults and kids, just 'fugees. But thinking about it, there really is no reason not to allow kids up to the age of 18 to stay unless there's something severely wrong with them, like a hardcore criminal record in their home country or they're mentally unstable (to the point of violent crime)... something like that. They're just fucking kids though. Guaranteed that they'd be so grateful for a chance at a new life that they'd pay society back tenfold with hard work and respect for their new-found countrymen.

Ugh, that just makes me weep. Poor bastards :(

Easy. Desktop PC is for gaming, subnotebook on couch is for everything else. At work I have two monitors, though.

And this new Steam sale, just not finding myself getting into it, despite me actually being unable to sleep during the last few. You'd think I'd be going MORE nuts now I have a capable PC.

Fake edit: On second thought, I might grab Lego Batman. Fuck knows why, but for $6 why the fuck not? Can't be worse than any of the other Lego games I've played (that I enjoyed). Impressions?

Real edit: Fucking hell. Danny Elfman did the score for it. Guess I'll have to reach for my wallet then...

Green Man Gaming to the rescue!

Those are the sales I've been wanting. Steam sale has been mediocre thus far. Big publishers not coming to the party.

Who wants to buy Lord of the Rings: War in the North and play co-op?

giri

I just got my kindle touch 3g. It's great. I've torn through 10 books on a 2 week vacation once, and this would have saved me a lot of room in my bags taking them back home.

I think i still prefer books, but the kindles convenience will out weigh that most of the time. There are still a few books i'll buy in paperback (and probably on the kindle too to avoid waiting).

Shaneus

I think I'm actually gonna pass on Batman Lego... for some reason, I thought it was newer than it was.

Oh, everyone needs to fucking buy Blur. Seriously. Bit late to show Bizarre some love now (you cunt) but this is a great, perfectly balanced weapons-based racer that's arseloads of fun to play. Was actually playing it last night. Don't think it's any good to play online, though... cheating seems to be rampant. SP is hella fun though and the non-licensed music is the shit.

legend166

I think I'm actually gonna pass on Batman Lego... for some reason, I thought it was newer than it was.

Oh, everyone needs to fucking buy Blur. Seriously. Bit late to show Bizarre some love now (you cunt) but this is a great, perfectly balanced weapons-based racer that's arseloads of fun to play. Was actually playing it last night. Don't think it's any good to play online, though... cheating seems to be rampant. SP is hella fun though and the non-licensed music is the shit.

Lego Batman was $5 on Steam the other day. I got it, but haven't played it yet. I've never played any Lego game so it should be fresh for me.

I think I'm going to buy Lord of the Rings (seriously someone get it so we can co-op) and try and figure out how to get Sonic from Amazon.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I got some steam games from my SS! He's said he's not who he says he is... so I will believe him for now... but I'm onto you.

Choc

Banned
everyone forgot to put their CD key in before last nights cut off

so there is a queue on the SWTOR site let alone the servers lol

legend166

If people are keen, I can confirm that Sonic Generations can be bought easily enough on Amazon and registered on Steam without a VPN. Buy it using your regular credit card using a US account, but when entering the address I just entered as close as I could (there was no country for old options) and for the state I just used CA and postcode was 90210. I forgot I saved the details from it earlier (not thinking it would work) and I accidentally the whole thing when I revisited.

Hey Shaneus you jerk, thanks for the info!

Fogz

Lego Batman was $5 on Steam the other day. I got it, but haven't played it yet. I've never played any Lego game so it should be fresh for me.

I think I'm going to buy Lord of the Rings (seriously someone get it so we can co-op) and try and figure out how to get Sonic from Amazon.

I left lotr downloading at home and will be up for co op

For me, it;s that space becomes a premium as life goes on. I've probably amassed a few hundred books, graphic novels, games, DVD, Blu-ray, etc and they're taking up space that I no longer have. My CDs and DVDs are now living in the garage, having been ripped so that I could free up room inside the house.

I'll always love books. I'll always prefer books. However, it's getting to the stage where I either need to start getting rid of books after I read them - which I prefer not to do - or turn every inch of wall space into bookshelves.

Having said all that, I realise that wanting real books is irrational. Really, having books on shelves serves no purpose and is just an intellectuals version of a game (hunting) room. There's the head of Tolkien, there's the head of Wells, that's from when I took down Asimov, etc.

Lastly, you can share your ebooks. You do need to remove the DRM and the other person does need to have an ereader but it can be done.

As time goes on I'm beginning to be less attached to the idea of buying physical books. Whether that's good or bad is not the question, it's just something that I have to do. At the end of the I'll cope.

I'm just thankful that books can't be compressed and sold at full price, like crappy 128kb MP3s.

Choc

Banned
Officially summer too now the solstice has passed.

if you were in sydney you'd never know it

its been over 25 once so far this summer and the 28 day rainfall prediction is for high chance every day until end of January.

also

doesn't that mean we've had the longest day of the year?

Yagharek

Solstice is the longest or shortest day of the year. There are two, of course. Time for a good old pagan gift giving celebration! Dibs on Sunday.

War in the North 60% off at Green Man Gaming, bringing it down to $12.32 using the code WARIN-SNOWY-NORTH

Would be a similar price for Arkham City using the code JOLLY-BRUCE-WAYNE which is active on the 26th only
Any idea if it works on Steam? Would be interested as I narrowly held off grabbing the AWESOME GOLEM STATUE edition from GAME for $40.

Last day of the year 8)
Same here. Some bad news came in about some allocated workers not being where I thought the manager would send them so all my planning the last 3 days is gone to shit so today doesn't matter anymore thankfully! Stress free day ahead.

I grabbed it on 360 in a double pack with PURE for like $10 from LOGS. It is actually one of the better LEGO games. Really FUN.

Gazunta

If we don't get an early mark today I'm going to go on a murderous rampage while wearing an Assassin's Creed shirt and then blame video games when I get caught.

Yeah, haven't been feeling the Steam sale either yet. Heading out to no-mans-land for Christmas but hopefully will have 3G reception to buy anything interesting over the next few days.

Anyone want a 50% off coupon for The Void? It's $4.99 today... do the coupons stack on top of sales? If so, that's pretty cheap.
Alternatively, is The Void any good?

Probably never going to play RoboBlitz unless someone tells me it's amazing.

Shaneus

For me, it;s that space becomes a premium as life goes on. I've probably amassed a few hundred books, graphic novels, games, DVD, Blu-ray, etc and they're taking up space that I no longer have. My CDs and DVDs are now living in the garage, having been ripped so that I could free up room inside the house.

I'll always love books. I'll always prefer books. However, it's getting to the stage where I either need to start getting rid of books after I read them - which I prefer not to do - or turn every inch of wall space into bookshelves.

Having said all that, I realise that wanting real books is irrational. Really, having books on shelves serves no purpose and is just an intellectuals version of a game (hunting) room. There's the head of Tolkien, there's the head of Wells, that's from when I took down Asimov, etc.

Lastly, you can share your ebooks. You do need to remove the DRM and the other person does need to have an ereader but it can be done.

As time goes on I'm beginning to be less attached to the idea of buying physical books. Whether that's good or bad is not the question, it's just something that I have to do. At the end of the I'll cope.

I'm just thankful that books can't be compressed and sold at full price, like crappy 128kb MP3s.
You can READ? Holy hell. I just figured you had read to you or something. Colour me surprised.

Good on you!

Yeah, haven't been feeling the Steam sale either yet. Heading out to no-mans-land for Christmas but hopefully will have 3G reception to buy anything interesting over the next few days.

Anyone want a 50% off coupon for The Void? It's $4.99 today... do the coupons stack on top of sales? If so, that's pretty cheap.
Alternatively, is The Void any good?

Probably never going to play RoboBlitz unless someone tells me it's amazing.

Pretty sure the coupons only work AFTER the sale period. My Dungeon Defenders one is only valid January 3rd - March 3rd.

Shaneus

So, the Youtube progress indicator thing has changed into a snowflake. Awesome... IF YOU'RE IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE.

Also, it looks like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth to get my Dead Rising 2 save back from my last reformat. At least I found this on a thread about it to make me chuckle:
r3cMP.png

My mum just told me what you wrote and my heart now has boo boo.
There there.

There there.

LAST DAY WHOOOOOOOO!

Party in 2 hours. galaxy tablet on its way! Gonna be a good day.

Anyone want to meet up in Brisbane after work functions today? manabar at 4ish?

Top Bottom