• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
So EA USA really need to get the fuck over this Australian government stick they have gone with

its not the government of the day banning it. its a law instituted by a previous government which has not been updated. It is an independant body FUNDED by the Government that determines the rating.

Yanks must fucking think they debate this shit in the halls of parliament...

Was always a cool novelty seeing Kid Cudi show off his acting chops. Oh, and Gina Gershon who, despite the touch of plastic surgery she's had, still looks foxy as hell.
Still feel Cudi has enourmous potential as a hip hop star, even more so than Kanye as a rapper (certainly not producer, would argue that Kanye on his day would shit all over any current producer) but he has just fucked it away since he hit it big. Almost as bad as Lupe. Also Gina Gershon has aged fantastically. Not as well as Salma Hayek.

So EA USA really need to get the fuck over this Australian government stick they have gone with.
Shocked they bothered to think about the local consequences. Just slap an unrated sticker on it and be done with it. Even PCPP had the illegal version of Dark Sector on their cover disc.

remz

Still feel Cudi has enourmous potential as a hip hop star, even more so than Kanye as a rapper (certainly not producer, would argue that Kanye on his day would shit all over any current producer) but he has just fucked it away since he hit it big. Almost as bad as Lupe. Also Gina Gershon has aged fantastically. Not as well as Salma Hayek.
Cudi has taken some weeeeeeeeeird turns since man on the moon.

Still hoping out his third album is going to kick ass. But he's doing a rockband side project or something instead, right? :S

Choc

Banned

Shocked they bothered to think about the local consequences. Just slap an unrated sticker on it and be done with it. Even PCPP had the illegal version of Dark Sector on their cover disc.

0_0

Jintor?

Saw this on the Ellen show tonight during tea (yeah gimme a break, nothing else was on) an teared up a bit. She does spotlight some great stuff just as good as Oprah did back in the day. Top YouTube comment hits the nail on the head as always.

Saw them play with Dead Letter Circus (on their self-titled EP tour) and Freestate (who were mindblowingly awesome) at the Geelong Hotel back in 2007. Probably the best live performance of a song I have ever seen, including several cream worthy NIN shows.

Shaneus

Yeah, I never heard a lot of his stuff but I heard opinions of it and knew it was good. Definitely looks like he's taken a turn. I get the impression he's had/having a similar career as Mos Def, however Mos seems to have balanced things a lot better. The naiveté that Cudi had worked to his advantage. Shame he seems to have lost it :(

PS. Rafi and Ruxin are awesome in the final of The League. Glad Rafi made an appearance.

Mission Impossible 4 was very good. Easily best MI film out of the three they've made. MI was good but a bit confusng. MI 3 was better and the third film in the Mission Impossible series of movies- Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol- was great. Good action, great imagery and a mostly coherent plot.

A friend of mine visiting from Canada gave me AC:R on PS3 so that's nice.

My 360 S came back from repair in 6 business days from sending it. Which is nice

I'm at the
shipyard
in zelda skyward sword. How close am i towards the end?

midonnay

you're not missing out much with Hung......

the first season was unusually boring for the subject matter. Latter seasons got more compelling but it still isn't much besides tits and
man
arse. (Season 3 episode 4 though...oh my )

Bored to Death is a grower...... meh at the pilot but it turned out to be a real humdinger in the end.

So how do we save local game developers in the face of the high Australian dollar where overseas publishers are less likely to dump tie-in games them to get their start and eventually work up to a Ty the Tas Tiger?
Are we going to focus solely on iOS games to get the foot in the door or is there another way to a fully fledged title?
Team Bondi was a bust even with high sales because of mismanagement so would it take a publisher run studio or just more stringent milestone tracking from investors?

Yagharek

OK, seasonal tidbits time:

This year for $mas, I spent a total of $150 on presents, $100 of which was for my wife. She spent maybe $250 incl stuff for her family + postage. Cheap year, and no need to go overboard anymore. Think I'm over it.

New years gaming resolutions:
1. Stop preordering and day 1 buying AAA blockbuster games. Waiting for GOTY editions if at all. Only day 1 buying niche quality stuff.
2. I'm going to play through a shit game or a game I hate/have no interest in. And provide a commentary for reptilescorpio's benefit. Maybe even a second hand copy of skyrim.
3. I will expect others to act in turn.

I'm at the <spoiler> in zelda skyward sword. How close am i towards the end?

Assuming thats your first time there .... you probably have another 15 hours or so to go. Depends on if youre being a completist though.

New League, bitches. Final two episodes for the season! Also, they got renewed for a fourth :D If only the same could be guaranteed for Community :(

Oh shit forgot it was League Day! Now I've got something to watch beside rewatching Community. I normally remember friday as Community Day and new League second so since there's no new Community I forgot heh.

Also sorry Shaneus, keep forgetting to bring up the HBO cancellations. Hung (which I had planned on checking out next season as Tom Jane is the boss), Bored To Death (same, wanted to wait until next season to make sure it would stick around) and How To Make It In America all cancelled.

:(

Wish you had kept forgetting ya dick.
How to Make It was bitching. The couple of episodes I saw of Bored were fantastic, I should watch the rest.

Really devastated about How to Make It. The Season 2 finale doesn't provide any closure and actually extended somewhat.

So how do we save local game developers in the face of the high Australian dollar where overseas publishers are less likely to dump tie-in games them to get their start and eventually work up to a Ty the Tas Tiger?
Are we going to focus solely on iOS games to get the foot in the door or is there another way to a fully fledged title?

Team Bondi was a bust even with high sales because of mismanagement so would it take a publisher run studio or just more stringent milestone tracking from investors?

Whatever the fuck the provincial government in Quebec is doing. The canadian dollar is actually stronger than the aussie dollar compared to the US dollar. It's also not distance and timezone judging by the amount of studios in Singapore and China.

The thing is, there are very few tie-in type titles being made anywhere- the market for making games based off other media has virtually disappeared (with a few exceptions like Star Wars). Kids games are now either iOS, facebook or free-to-play browser-based games. Or pirated.

Learning Korean seems super complex. Everything just seems joined together so it's breaking my brain.

oooh you're learning Korean? :D &#48148;&#51060;&#46377;! (or however its spelt...) So far I'm finding it a tad harder than Japanese, but mostly because of the pronunciation. Whadda you mean by joined together?

Gazunta

HOLIDAY TIME. THANK JARVIS.

Ditto what Clive said re: Australian development. Though I will add that trying to replicate the business model that worked ten years ago is a one way road to failure. You might as well try and replicate the business model of thirty years ago and complain that kids these days don't buy games on cassette tapes for their Commodore 64.
The cool kids had a disk drive

Two things, though:

There is still a huge market for cheap, disposable licensed or non-licensed games in retail. They never appear on the charts, they never get mentioned on GAF but they pay their own way and sell consistently. However they're not cool enough for most pro game developers to be seen working on so the work goes to the Ukraine or whatever.

As much as you might hate the idea - the kids of today think of iOS, FaceBook, whatever as the standard for video games now. You know how fifteen years ago we thought it was funny that the adults thought Pokemon was a stupid fad? That's exactly how most people here treat Angry Birds and you're just as wrong now as they were then.

Yagharek

So EA USA really need to get the fuck over this Australian government stick they have gone with

its not the government of the day banning it. its a law instituted by a previous government which has not been updated. It is an independant body FUNDED by the Government that determines the rating.

Yanks must fucking think they debate this shit in the halls of parliament...

Angry birds isnt a game though. Its a prerecorded flash film with minimal user input. Like heavy rain.

Gazunta

They said Pokemon is just Rock Paper Scissors mixed with cockfighting.

Go and tell the millions of kids who treat Angry Birds like you treated Mario when you were a kid that they are just playing a dumb non-game. See how much they care.

This is their world now :)

I actually enjoy Angry Birds, for what it's worth. And Bejeweled. And a ton of other games GAF thinks are stupid.

Yagharek

Go and tell the millions of kids who treat Angry Birds like you treated Mario when you were a kid that they are just playing a dumb non-game. See how much they care.

This is their world now :)

I actually enjoy Angry Birds, for what it's worth. And Bejeweled. And a ton of other games GAF thinks are stupid.

There's a difference between a simple concept with emergent complexity, and a simple concept where user input is optional and redundant.

How can I tell them when they don't exist?

philosoraptor.jpg

Playing games for the first time in a couple of weeks. I like it.

Did she get it at from the hammock district?
The great thing is that Maryanne gets in the hammock with you.

I've never understood the negative backlash at "casual games." Why does everything have to be deep and complicated. Can't I just enjoy something simple for a bit?

Yagharek

Eh, I'm not in the 'negative backlash over casual games' group. I bought a Wii ffs. I'm more in the group that resents the people in the 'angry birds is popular therefore all other in depth portable games are redundant and nintendo must make iphone games' group.

RAFI BOMB! Such a fantastic end to the season!

Someone gift me Polynomial!

EDIT: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! Crafted 7 coal into fucking 50% off Gemini Rue! Which I got in an indie pack with 6 other games for $5! This sale sucks!

Whatever the fuck the provincial government in Quebec is doing. The canadian dollar is actually stronger than the aussie dollar compared to the US dollar.
Very interested in seeing how the business practises of the tax haven Canada go down, I thought they were on the slide?

Much love for Cut The Rope.

Simple gameplay mechanics wrapped in a pretty package is the road to commercial viability. Nintendo in a nutshell. Same reason Zynga and all the pretenders have done well. The gf has to go on Monster Garden every day without fail. The key is turning those gamers into the traditional gamer buying a $60 game every month. The story and cinematic experience might be enough to get them hooked. I know the gf was VERY impressed with UC2+3.

There is still a huge market for cheap, disposable licensed or non-licensed games in retail. They never appear on the charts, they never get mentioned on GAF but they pay their own way and sell consistently. However they're not cool enough for most pro game developers to be seen working on so the work goes to the Ukraine or whatever..
Babyz! Also stuff like Puss in Boots Fruit Ninja.
The gf is currently playing through Toy Story 3 on 360 and it is pretty awesome. Heard the latest Harry Potter games are good too. Not to mention the fantastic LEGO games. Just a worry as to the potential of development in Australia with the current dollar.

Maybe Batman 3 will fair better than Batman 2 which sunk Pandemic.

I'm more in the group that resents the people in the 'angry birds is popular therefore all other in depth portable games are redundant and nintendo must make iphone games' group.
Ugh. Cofuckingsigned.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
oooh you're learning Korean? :D &#48148;&#51060;&#46377;! (or however its spelt...) So far I'm finding it a tad harder than Japanese, but mostly because of the pronunciation. Whadda you mean by joined together?

I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't mind going over to SK next year, So some basic Korean would be nice. I just had a look at it tonight, I'm screwed.

Um, I guess the words are long? haha

New train girl that's korean cookie? lol

Unless IU is on my train, Nope! :D

Yagharek

Ugh. Cofuckingsigned.

OK this is good. I now know I at least typed a coherent sentence whilst under the influence.

FWIW Ive played Angry Birds. It has the addictive 'one more go' thing about it, but it is more like playing a QTE than a quick reflex time sink rush a la Pac Man or Space Invaders.

edit: and those two, Pac Man + Space Invaders will probably be in my mind the two definitive quick play games for all time. Forget street fighter 2 or daytona, as good as they are.

Did you know both those are available in a double pack on 3DS? I hear good things but they aren't for me.

OK this is good. I now know I at least typed a coherent sentence whilst under the influence.

FWIW Ive played Angry Birds. It has the addictive 'one more go' thing about it, but it is more like playing a QTE than a quick reflex time sink rush a la Pac Man or Space Invaders.

I like it, and love the hell out of Cut The Rope and Fruit Ninja, but the idea that either you are a AAA 200 person studio or 5 guys in a Korean sports bar basement gives me the shits. THER IS A MIDDLE GROUND STILL.

I want the flawed masterpieces that try to go up against the AAA games. I want more Saboteur. I want more Alpha Protocol. I want more Psychonauts. I WANT more creativity and I want more people to be allowed to follow their out-there ideas to move the fucking industry forward. I wish I had the kind of money to go to Valve and say, "stop fucking around! Get this shit going and work those hips and nips!"

Yagharek

I like it, and love the hell out of Cut The Rope and Fruit Ninja, but the idea that either you are a AAA 200 person studio or 5 guys in a Korean sports bar basement gives me the shits. THER IS A MIDDLE GROUND STILL.

I want the flawed masterpieces that try to go up against the AAA games. I want more Saboteur. I want more Alpha Protocol. I want more Psychonauts. I WANT more creativity and I want more people to be allowed to follow their out-there ideas to move the fucking industry forward. I wish I had the kind of money to go to Valve and say, "stop fucking around! Get this shit going and work those hips and nips!"

I wish this attitude had been in place during the wii backlash of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,...

I'm all for more diversity of ideas, less AAA, more B tier, more experimental games. But I dont believe the mainstream gaming press when they pay lip service to this trend, because they are very selective about what they consider to be acceptable 'non-AAA but worthwhile' content.

For instance, if its nintendo its kiddy non game casual shit. If its iOS etc, its great and the future of portable games and gaming as long as we still get battlefield modern 5."

I think the issue with the debate that I have is teasing out who is speaking along the industry-approved narrative line, and who is speaking from the heart. Point being, nintendo and apple have both disrupted the games industry significantly in the past 5 years, but the industry only considers one of these moves palatable for some unintelligible reason.

Also I can touch type when drunk. Go figure.

...uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

By that logic, would Pac-Man CE DX just be a QTE? After all, it's designed to ultimately have one solution/path per maze...

No.

Imma soothsayer!
Not really, my lord and saviour Shaneus provided me with the game I couldn't bring myself to impulse buy! Beer for that man on the way next meeting!

...uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh...

By that logic, would Pac-Man CE DX just be a QTE? After all, it's designed to ultimately have one solution/path per maze...

I think he means more one button press without having to keep things in mind in a dynamic fashion. Whereas in Angry Birds you can take your sweet time lining up shots, in Space Invaders/Pac Man if you stop you are fucked.

Point being, nintendo and apple have both disrupted the games industry significantly in the past 5 years, but the industry only considers one of these moves palatable for some unintelligible reason.
The most interesting point is that Nintendo was the darling 5 years ago and Apple was the laughing stock. How the times (i.e. popular media) change. Commercial agendas, etc.

Yagharek

The most interesting point is that Nintendo was the darling 5 years ago and Apple was the laughing stock. How the times (i.e. popular media) change. Commercial agendas, etc.

They were never the darling of the media/industry, only the customer base.

I think the games industry is reluctant to any kind of change, which is incredibly ironic what with their cries and claims for legitimacy as a narrative and entertainment form to be taken seriously. Anything that widens the appeal unexpectedly = casual fad and it gets little to no support.

Shaneus

Imma soothsayer!
Not really, my lord and saviour Shaneus provided me with the game I couldn't bring myself to impulse buy! Beer for that man on the way next meeting!
Aww :) Consider it thanks for that recommendation of Aril Brikha, ridiculously good tunes and a type of music I haven't really gotten into for far too long. Nearly blew my load listening to his first big track in my car.

They were never the darling of the media/industry, only the customer base.
Hmm disagree there as during the first 12 months of the Wii I remember a lot of articles about the motion controls being a game changer and once it started printing DS like money the media got fully behind it and was like, "the revolution is here and we totally predicted it even though we said it was stupid and undercooked!"

Angry Birds uses an open source physics engine, though.
It stole everything from a free Flash game and made it look prettier and made it run slightly faster. They monetized a free engine and stifled development of open source engines by taking something someone had hoped would benefit indie development and using it to make themselves millionaires without contributing anything tangible to the industry.

Lame, like that sonic running like a tard thread.
I don't know what to think anymore, that thread was awesome!
JLvSQ.gif

Aww :) Consider it thanks for that recommendation of Aril Brikha, ridiculously good tunes and a type of music I haven't really gotten into for far too long. Nearly blew my load listening to his first big track in my car.
I actually expected you to tell me you had been listening to him from way back! The new EP is great and got me into his old stuff. Just like another artist this year who had an outsider remix EP released on that PPK label.

Jintor

I have the sense that in a weird-knock on effect kind of way it might actually begin to affect legislation in the area of gaming. If you look over the reading speeches for the Classification Amendment Act you'll see at least one or two references to Angry Birds. To paraphrase my point, generally-popular software - no matters its inherent merits - can spur understanding or at least recognition of its overall medium's importance.

Unfortunately it's been taken to apply primarily to phone apps.

Just had a quick listen to Groove La Chord and winter on youtube and I like it. What else should I be listening to?

Top Bottom