• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

It stole everything from a free Flash game and made it look prettier and made it run slightly faster.
As far as I'm concerned that isn't in question. Vince saying that the game is a QTE with player input meaning very little is, though. I have no particular affinity for the Angry Birds but I would call it far from a QTE. QTEs for the most part require a binary response/answer (Press A now. Was A pressed now? Y/N. Proceed/Fail) and this game does not fulfil that label. I has variables and multiple response outcomes. The end result of were all the piggies ejected from the homes Y/N is a binary requirement for the game to proceed.

And while we all seem to be in the mood to post favourite electronic tracks...

Hallucinogen: Deranger

Angry Birds require me to leisurely click the mouse button when I feel like it. It has all the hallmarks of a QTE but with none of the Q. It is effectively a BTE.

Kind of like the new Jurassic Park game. At least Heavy Rain gives the illusion of adventure.

Getting my arse handed to me in Telltale poker after getting straights every second hand last night. Such a terrible poker game.

and using it to make themselves millionaires without contributing anything tangible to the industry.

WHAT ABOUT THIS

AngryBirds3.jpg

fixed for clarity

lawwwwwwl

Jintor

Shit. I just realised I had a great idea about making a database of some description that was about something that nobody else had ever done, and then I completely forgot about it. Now I remembered that I had the idea, but I have no idea what the actual idea was. :T

Deeku

She deserves to be slingshot into space!

Unbelievably terrible, ugh!

Edit:

I was just about to go to bed but that mario speed run dude is back!

Darklord

Banned
Fucking work. They took me off my normal shift on Tuesday because of the holiday pay. Then they have the gall to ring me at like 8am today wanting me to work. Didn't even bother to answer. You don't screw me over then expect me to work the Friday before Christmas when it would be ridiculously busy. My work is so fucked. If I told people what it was like there that place would be shut down. Oh but they can't afford safety being a multi-billion dollar company!

Fucking work. They took me off my normal shift on Tuesday because of the holiday pay. Then they have the gall to ring me at like 8am today wanting me to work. Didn't even bother to answer. You don't screw me over then expect me to work the Friday before Christmas when it would be ridiculously busy. My work is so fucked. If I told people what it was like there that place would be shut down. Oh but they can't afford safety being a multi-billion dollar company!

Maybe it would be best to write an anon letter to some kind of WorkSafe board or whoever would get the company in most trouble.

Ydahs

programs side scroller

begins drawing sprites

two hours later, scraps project all together :(

Drawing pixel art characters is impossible. I can manage all other art, but not the bloody characters...

Shaneus

I actually expected you to tell me you had been listening to him from way back! The new EP is great and got me into his old stuff. Just like another artist this year who had an outsider remix EP released on that PPK label.
You'd think so, right? But I think that no matter what music (or even movies, food etc.) a massive fanboy is into, there are almost always gaps in their knowledge that are completely inexplicable.

Just had a quick listen to Groove La Chord and winter on youtube and I like it. What else should I be listening to?
Reptile already answered, so I'm not gonna try. Groove La Chord is the only one I'm familiar with (for now).

As far as I'm concerned that isn't in question. Vince saying that the game is a QTE with player input meaning very little is, though. I have no particular affinity for the Angry Birds but I would call it far from a QTE. QTEs for the most part require a binary response/answer (Press A now. Was A pressed now? Y/N. Proceed/Fail) and this game does not fulfil that label. I has variables and multiple response outcomes. The end result of were all the piggies ejected from the homes Y/N is a binary requirement for the game to proceed.
Yeah, it's a QTE in the sense of the word, but not completely literally. Something closer to a QTE would be, say, Canabalt/Monster Dash or Jetpack Joyride.
Actually, that (somehow) got me thinking. We need a Scorched Earth port for the iPhone. Not clone, but actual port.... complete with tacky 8-bit GIF backgrounds, gradient colours and massive explosions.

And while we all seem to be in the mood to post favourite electronic tracks...

Hallucinogen: Deranger
Just barge right into our conversation, why don't you *<:p

Angry Birds require me to leisurely click the mouse button when I feel like it. It has all the hallmarks of a QTE but with none of the Q. It is effectively a BTE.

Kind of like the new Jurassic Park game. At least Heavy Rain gives the illusion of adventure.

Getting my arse handed to me in Telltale poker after getting straights every second hand last night. Such a terrible poker game.
Man, Telltale just always seem to miss the mark on so many occasions. Structurally and in theory, they remind me a bit of Double Fine... but just not quite polished or fun enough. Idea's there, execution isn't.

Edit: Damn, that's cheap for DDP. I wonder if there's enough of a difference to the iPhone one to justify getting it. BTW Rage on PC is $15 during the Steam sale. I'm kind of tempted.

Edit #2: Damn, must've had an old cookie from browsing the US store. It's fucking $45 here. Along with Saints Row 3 that's $60 AFTER discount. Jesus.

Edit: Damn, that's cheap for DDP. I wonder if there's enough of a difference to the iPhone one to justify getting it. BTW Rage on PC is $15 during the Steam sale. I'm kind of tempted.

Edit #2: Damn, must've had an old cookie from browsing the US store. It's fucking $45 here. Along with Saints Row 3 that's $60 AFTER discount. Jesus.

Yeah I thought you might like that one. Grabbed RF Armageddon and RAGE for $30 delivered. Want to keep a copy of RAGE to show the grand kids what happens when you try to implement ideas too far beyond the capability of the console, even though it is still an impressive effort. Little annoyed they didn't remove the 20% VAT even though it was detailed in the checkout.

Seems like Amazon DD is the best place for sales this year. Aside from silly Best Buy who must be going out of business. I want $5 games over here!

The moment I realised that playing Angry Birds felt similar to wrestling with Microsoft Word to format a document was the moment I stopped playing.

Shaneus

Yeah I thought you might like that one. Grabbed RF Armageddon and RAGE for $30 delivered. Want to keep a copy of RAGE to show the grand kids what happens when you try to implement ideas too far beyond the capability of the console, even though it is still an impressive effort. Little annoyed they didn't remove the 20% VAT even though it was detailed in the checkout.

Seems like Amazon DD is the best place for sales this year. Aside from silly Best Buy who must be going out of business. I want $5 games over here!
I'm really, really tempted to jump in on DDP but I haven't even cracked Deathsmiles that I bought months ago :(

So, Rage. Is it worth the effort to get it gifted from the US on Steam for $15? I played a bit on my brother's PC and it was some amount of fun but I have the world's worst track record with first-person whatevers (not just shooters, Borderlands on 360 as well).

midonnay

you know Apple has world domination when you overheard your mum and dad debating who made the company.... jobs or wozniak.
mum = wozniak fan

Shaneus

Woz seems infinitely nicer and less business-like than Jobs. It may have been Jobs' ability to stick to his principles that got Apple to where they are, but Woz never came across as being a cunt.

PC gaming really does bring everyone together. Regardless of the stupidity of the coupons the gifts flying back and forth have brought much love.

So, Rage. Is it worth the effort to get it gifted from the US on Steam for $15?
It looks fantastic and rekindles the feeling of playing Doom running around gibbing fools with a shotgun. Best shooter this year for me, for a long time really. The gunplay is unparalleled. If you like shooting fools in the face and hurling boomerangs into morons brains you will love RAGE.

Krorg

Angry Birds is nothing like a QTE. In a QTE all you do is press a button when prompted but in Angry Birds you have to set the power and angle and then hope for the best. I find the game has far too much hoping for the best to be much fun but it's not a QTE.

I really liked Rage and don't get the hate for it. For $15, unless you're dead broke or hate shooters, you can't really lose that much surely.

The only problem I had with the game was that it ended when it ended. I played a lot of 'good' shooters this year, but Rage was one of the best. I just hope any potential Rage 2 manages to make the car sections a little more interesting.

All of the (many) shooters I played this year were good in some respect (apart from DNF) but Rage and Bulletstorm were the only shooters that felt fresh.

BF3 is $55 on Origin if anyone's waiting for a cheaper price

Kritz

Banned
The thing I really, really hated about RAGE was that too much of that game was spent not playing the game. I just want to go through levels and kill dudes. I don't want to play Mario Kart, or fetchquests in a massive boring linear hub world. I don't want to talk to boring, static NPCs or buy upgrades to my car or play mini-games or collect cards or pick up loot.

I want to shoot some motherfuckers.

RAGE's ratio of "shooting motherfuckers" to "bullshit" was way too low.

Shaneus

Can you give people money straight from your Steam wallet now? If you can, then I think I'll go begging in the gift thread.

Frawdder

I crafted 7 coal and got Counter Strike: Source.

I now have Oblivion GOTY and Counter Strike: Source to give away to anyone that wants it. (Also some shitty coupons, but nobody is going to want those)

Flight Control cheevo is fucked. So frustrating. Damn helicopters are too damn slow and the screen fills with Jumbo's before I can get them in.

Loved RAGE. Ignored the RPGlite elements aside from when I was literally right in front of a vendor. Was LOTS of action too, wasn't like it was a 4 hour campaign or something.

I will save you $8 and say skip RF:A. It's the most meh game I played this year

The demo was enjoyable enough to consider it a buy at that price.

jambo

Mission Impossible 4 was very good. Easily best MI film out of the three they've made. MI was good but a bit confusng. MI 3 was better and the third film in the Mission Impossible series of movies- Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol- was great. Good action, great imagery and a mostly coherent plot.

f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg

f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg
f4saD.jpg

Ydahs

It's fun though! One day I'll get back into it.

mul.gif

Damn that's good. Mine have no sense of perspective whatsoever. They're always side shots that are too inconsistent from frame to frame.

I guess to start off with, I should trace over an existing sprite just to get an idea on how to get the perspective right.

I just see blank spaces. Are you implying there was a movie called Mission Impossible 2 directed by John Woo, filmed and Sydney, released in the year 2000 and easily one of the most utterly pointless films of all time. I may have ended up buying the bare bones DVD release of that from DVD Express and paid around $40 thanks to the shithouse exchange rate at the time.

Do you mean that one? It still draws a blank.

I just see blank spaces. Are you implying there was a movie called Mission Impossible 2 directed by John Woo, filmed and Sydney, released in the year 2000 and easily one of the most utterly pointless films of all time. I may have ended up buying the bare bones DVD release of that from DVD Express and paid around $40 thanks to the shithouse exchange rate at the time.

Do you mean that one? It still draws a blank.

It wasn't that bad

it was worse

Rahk

Chris Remo and Shawn Elliott are finally on a podcast together; the latest Irrational Behavior.

And now Remo moves.

Top Bottom