• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

I'm going to go with just Hard Reset.

There are currently 81 games in my Steam backlog.

I think I'm done with this sale.
Only 81? Ahahahahahaha. That's nothing. I've hit triple figures thrice and I'm still gonna buy Hard Reset. Man up!

Merry Christmas, all. Hope it's full of family, good times, good food, good presents and good booze (but safe driving if that's your gig). <3

Also, I woke up this morning to find that Jingle All the Way that I'd queued up for download off-peak didn't even fucking start downloading. Boo.

What's a good apple cider? I've tried strongbow and that just tasted like beer.

If you want something that doesn't taste like beer try scrumpy cider! Sour as.

Uh I can't remember well aye.

5 Seeds is horrible, Pipsqueak is ordinary, Kronenberg is eh.
I always get Bulmers and Magners confused but they're both pretty good from memory.
Rekorderlig is expensive but has lots of interesting flavours.

r1chard

If you want something that doesn't taste like beer try scrumpy cider! Sour as.

Uh I can't remember well aye.

I always get Bulmers and Magners confused but they're both pretty good from memory.

Mercury's Draught is great, and cheap to boot.

Rekorderlig is lolly-water, but tasty, tasty lolly water :)

But the favourite at my weekend gaming sessions is, believe it or not, Gaymer's :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm tempted by skyrim for $40 but i figured next year it will be cheaper, with mods and as a GOTY version.

Maybe i will wait. Hrm

Rezbit

Just me and my bros for Christmas today, have to say we cooked up a good feed. Perfectly tender and moist turkey, and I whipped up some beautifully soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside potatoes. Nom. Nom. Nom.

Yagharek

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - Melbourne AREA
for DESTRUCTIVE WIND, FLASH FLOODING, LARGE HAILSTONES and TORNADOES
For people in the Inner, Eastern, Northern, Western and parts of the South East, Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula, Outer East and Port Phillip Local Warning Areas.

Issued at 5:19 pm Sunday, 25 December 2011.

THIS INCLUDES A TORNADO WARNING.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:10 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Bacchus Marsh, Greensborough, Hurstbridge, Lilydale, Yarra Glen and the area south of Bacchus Marsh. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Deer Park, Healesville, Melton, St Albans, Sydenham and the area south of Melton by 5:40 pm and Craigieburn, Essendon, Footscray, Melbourne Airport, Preston and Sunbury by 6:10 pm.

Other severe thunderstorms were located near the area north of Meredith and the area west of the Brisbane Ranges. They are forecast to affect Anakie East, Brisbane Ranges, Lara, the You Yangs, the area south of the Brisbane Ranges and the area west of Werribee by 5:40 pm and eastern parts of the Bellarine Peninsula, northern parts of the Bellarine Peninsula, Portarlington, waters off Portarlington, waters off St Leonards and the area east of Lara by 6:10 pm.

Destructive winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding, large hailstones and tornadoes are likely.

Stay safe MelbGAF

edit:

A tornado has been reported near Fiskville (15km west of Bacchus Marsh) associated with the thunderstorm currently south of Bacchus Marsh.
Very large hail has been reported with thunderstorms this afternoon.

Shaneus

So boooooooooored. Plus I'm missing out on the Amazon deal. :(
Want me to proxy buy you something, tiger?

WIER IS YOOOR TYURBOMAHN DOLS?!?

Never seen it before, should be a good guilty pleasure movie :D

Anyone who hasn't seen Elf should, right now. Adorable Zooey, funny Will, happy Christmas message and Zooey.

Jintor

Two of my cousins got married in the last month and my kid cousins are overseas, so it was a more proper less excitable-children style Christmas this year. Still good but.

Cracked open bottles of The Dalmore and Mr Pickwick's Particular Tawny tonight. Both excellent but the port in particular is brilliant.

Oh yeah and went through a bottle of Dalperry champagne as well.

Ydahs

Holy shit at this weather.

On a visit to my brother's soon-to-be fiancee's house and it begins hailing golf balls! Had to stop the car in the emergency lane on the highway, or else the stones would've smashed through the windshield. Funny sight, one guy was outside protecting the top of his car with boogie boards. Dad tells him shouldn't you be protecting your head? He's like good point and got back in the car.

Well anyway, back home. Cars dented, holes in corrugated sheets in sun room (which is flooded) and garden destroyed. All the fruits on our trees have fallen off too :(. I don't know how big the hail stones were at my house, but considering there were still hail stones melting, six hours later, suggests they were pretty big.

edit:

Uh wow. Cousin's house during the storm, five minutes away:

0GdTT.jpg

Shaneus

Fucking Jesus. Hope all Melbournites were okay and nothing horrible happened. Strangest thing was that the worst Geelong (an hours drive away, mind) copped was a very mild sprinkle around 9:30am for a few mins and a heavier one that lasted around 10 mins at about 4:30pm. 10 mins after each, the ground was completely dry.

The guests we had from Melbourne returned home to find the pumps broken on their pool, said pool flooded, solar panels for pool completely fucked and a part of their house flooded (but from what I understand, not as bad as it could have been). Can't imagine the damage that must've been caused to cars, houses etc. during the day.

Like I said, I hope you all came out of it unaffected.

Also, Merry Christmas, AusGAF! Have a picture of my nephews (during one of their less temperamental periods) and Mum (being awesome) to celebrate the Christmas spirit or some shit.
A9R8i.png

Omikron

Good day all around here, got home maybe 20 mins ago, now relaxing on the couch with cohere and rum balls.

Worse part if the day was def driving post storm and coming round a corner and nearly wiping out on a fallen pine tree, thing was fucking massive.

That. storm.

Never been happier to be in Warrnambool after the trip to Penshurst. Just a long damn weekend and the HEAT. So hot and stuffy. Cold change came in around 8pm.

So we got a bitchin' double blender thingy, some hampers and new scotch glasses.
20111225_214504j4wbk.jpg

Shiva! Chivas!
20111225_214527ed6tw.jpg

Can't look at this page any more. Terrible flashbacks of fred durst thinking he was relevant.
When has he NOT been relevant? Dude is still rapping out hoes and chains and turtlenecks.

best way to erase the memory of MI2 is to see MI4. worked a treat for me.
Really enjoyed the slow ploting of MI1, loved the cheese factory that was MI2, disliked MI3 which felt like McG sucking off Michael Bay while fingering Brett Ratners arsehole at the same time. Brad Bird shits all over the previous people involved so it can only be a win win for me to see it eventually.

That reminds me... have you seen a show called Look Around You? It's fucking amazing. On the topic of obscure but awesome UK stuff, make sure you see The Trip with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan.
Loved The Trip even though most people I know didn't get it. The movie version omits too much to enjoy it fully though as they really worked things up as it went along.

Guess who's got two thumbs and got dumped on Christmas Eve!
Shit sorry dude, horrible timing. Kept the receipt at least? Also means you now have more time for
talking about
playing video games!

I'm actually more angry about TPG dropping out all the fucking time and suddenly dropping to .5mbps when it's not just dying completely. Reset modem, jumped to 5mbps. What.
Sounds like it is time to get on the iiNet/EFTel/Intern0de wagon! Very comfy and reliable up here.

Wow, the Skyward Sword thread in community is kind of negative.
Every OT has been pretty shitty for a while now until all the bitching and nit picking is worn out. Wouldn't bother looking at one aside to see how many minutes it takes me to read the OP, or to post a quick question hoping for help while not reading anything else lest my brain melt.

As someone of germanic decent, Christmas eve was generally the bigger occasion. Not so much now that I have moved away and such.
Yeah got dragged to the sister-in-laws last night. The little guy didn't get to sleep until 10pm. Fucking horrible night.

Toured the 150 year old Seppelt Great Western cellars today, highly recommended if you find yourself near Stawell. There's so much imported French mould on the ceiling it looks like carpet, but it's pretty cool.
I remember not liking Stawell last time I was there. I think the gf and I were trying to find somewhere nice to stay and the river was dry and the whole thing was just bleh. Could have been somewhere else though as Stawell is out of the way to the Mallee.

So what comes first? The Airing of Grievances or the Die Hard movie marathon? Yippekayay motherfuckers.
When I have Christmas I will have Die Hard playing at least once in the background. So good.

Also, I woke up this morning to find that Jingle All the Way that I'd queued up for download off-peak didn't even fucking start downloading. Boo.
Haven't seen since I was a kid so now I know what is going to be watched at lunch during the cricket tomorrow.

My thoughts. Also Gaymers is indeed underrated. Have an awesome Pint glass from a Gaymers promo!

What's going to be the cheapest place to buy a Kinect, tomorrow?
According to my twitter posting JB have it for $79 along with Fruit Ninja/Gunstringer/Adventures tomorrow. (after $50 MS cashback)

Do we know if GMG is having a Skyrim sale?
Don't think so. Here is the list of sales.
Saint's Row 3 for $20
Square Enix (not DE3) 66% off
Batman Arkham City for $20

Merry Christmas.

Almost got my face clawed off on the flight home. <3 tipsy bitches on planes.
Join the Mile High club with some drunks?

What the shit, Melbourne skies.
It's a white Christmas miracle! Jesus love us all! Stop complaining guys, you got to have a snowy day in front of a roasting squirrel. Damn it was hot in the bush.

Salazar

She was attractive, though.

Amazed at how much makeup Jetstar stewardesses can scrape onto their faces. Stewardesses in general, probably, but I really noticed it this time.

Christmas gif because I didn't take any photos today - and my present was a return ticket to London for early next year. And because I choose to worship Tiffany instead of Christ.

trwfx.gif

I remember not liking Stawell last time I was there. I think the gf and I were trying to find somewhere nice to stay and the river was dry and the whole thing was just bleh. Could have been somewhere else though as Stawell is out of the way to the Mallee.
Yeah we drove straight through to Great Western (which is, strangely enough, where Seppelt Great Western winery is located); I only mentioned Stawell as it's well known. The most time I've spent in Stawell was popping into the local IGA to pick up some groceries.

... really hope our place in Glen Waverley is OK. Half want to know if there's any damage and half would prefer not to know, since we're not due back until the 27th and it's a 3.5 hour drive from here anyway ...

Shaneus

Dat stroke. So amazing. Shiva hallucination was epic as shit. Jenny all tarted up looked SO hot, though. Can't believe she's married IRL to the guy playing Pete.

Loved The Trip even though most people I know didn't get it. The movie version omits too much to enjoy it fully though as they really worked things up as it went along.
Good man. It was hard for me to detach the characters from how they'd behave IRL, far more subtle by Coogan and Brydon than, say, Larry David in Curb. Genius on their part and there should be more of it but it was a (don't get me wrong, amazing) challenge to watch at times. Should fire it up again. And yeah, I only watched the TV series.

Every OT has been pretty shitty for a while now until all the bitching and nit picking is worn out. Wouldn't bother looking at one aside to see how many minutes it takes me to read the OP, or to post a quick question hoping for help while not reading anything else lest my brain melt.
As a rule, I stay out of most OTs unless I have a vested interest in it, it's a not-AAA game (read: Saints 3) thus prone to fanboys AND the game proper has appeared on my radar courtesy of friends or folks here at AusGAF. If one thing can be said about this corner of GAF, it's that we all have fairly grounded opinions of games that are at all times justifiable and never irrational.

When I have Christmas I will have Die Hard playing at least once in the background. So good.
It IS amazing. As actual Christmas movies go I don't really qualify it (it'd be largely the same movie if it wasn't set around Christmas) but as a movie in general, it really doesn't get much better. Shame they don't make them like that anymore. Just churn out another turd, Michael Bay.

Haven't seen since I was a kid so now I know what is going to be watched at lunch during the cricket tomorrow.
Watched, remembered I had seen parts of it before, but... it just doesn't have the so-bad-it's-good feel for me. Worth it for Phil Hartman though, RIP.

Only movie I ever really adored Arnie in (where he actually acted) was True Lies. Everyone should watch THAT at Christmas. Still waiting for my high-def remaster, Cameron!

My thoughts. Also Gaymers is indeed underrated. Have an awesome Pint glass from a Gaymers promo!
Try Monteith's. Seriously. I've found most ciders to be quite heavy and potent but this is really light and refreshing, while still being a definite cider. Perfect amount of acidity, sweetness and tartness. Not that I'm a connoisseur or anything.

According to my twitter posting JB have it for $79 along with Fruit Ninja/Gunstringer/Adventures tomorrow. (after $50 MS cashback)
Shit, that'd almost be worth having just for Gunstringer and a backup Kinect. Stupid cheap for what it does.
On that note, anyone here play Gunstringer yet? Impressions?

Now, to sit down with some Jackie Chan akshun, hopefully all subbed.

Top Bottom