• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Dead Man

A lot of them are Chinese. After I tell them I speak Japanese they look surprised and then tell me "oh, well... the owner is Chinese so you need to speak that too" :p My guess is there aren't enough Japanese people to staff all these food places popping up.

Just start your own.

A lot of them are Chinese. After I tell them I speak Japanese they look surprised and then tell me "oh, well... the owner is Chinese so you need to speak that too" :p My guess is there aren't enough Japanese people to staff all these food places popping up.

As long as it tastes damn good I don't care where they come from. If you want to start a Japanese restaurant please start one down here! So very want to go out and have sushi platters and tori don. Also booze. Because everything tastes great with booze and wasabi.

EDIT: Finished AssCreeBro. WORST ENDING EVAR. I played for like 30 hours for no ending? Lame.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

How good is your japanese?

Dead Man

As long as it tastes damn good I don't care where they come from. If you want to start a Japanese restaurant please start one down here! So very want to go out and have sushi platters and tori don. Also booze. Because everything tastes great with booze and wasabi.

Where do you live rep?

Deeku

I dunno, unless a Japanese/Asian restaurant is some snazzy fusion place, I probably wouldn't even try it if I saw non-asians running the place.

Where do you live rep?

Warrnambool. There is noooooooooooooooooo variety in food here. Plenty of fantastic cafe style restaurants and some good seafood. Also a great Schnitz place. One good Chinese place but the Mexican place sucks and the Irish spot is average. Also the pork place is meh compared to even my gf cooking up some of the in-laws kills. Thai place is pretty mediocre and way overpriced. Bakerys are fantastic though. Lots of tasty bain-marie foods.

Would kill for a Hi Sushi down here.

Dead Man

Warrnambool. There is noooooooooooooooooo variety in food here. Plenty of fantastic cafe style restaurants and some good seafood. Also a great Schnitz place. One good Chinese place but the Mexican place sucks and the Irish spot is average. Also the pork place is meh compared to even my gf cooking up some of the in-laws kills. Thai place is pretty mediocre and way overpriced. Bakerys are fantastic though. Lots of tasty bain-marie foods.

Would kill for a Hi Sushi down here.

I grew up over the border in Mt Gambier. I sympathise.

Dead Man

We get a lot of ads for a fancy place called The Shed or something? Any good?

I don't remember any place like that, I was last there about 10 years ago. Given the culinary state at the time, I would suggest... no. Unless you mean the Barn? It's like a low budget Hogs Breath last time I was there. Expensive as hell too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
LOL, I lived just off it in highschool, good times. It was all about the Ripple and Javeds nightclubs when I was a kid though.

*clap* lol

all my family are from there / millicent / tant, so I spent the majority of my child hood down the south east. Go team.

Oh! Reptilescorpio! Thankyou for Portal!!! :D

I dunno, unless a Japanese/Asian restaurant is some snazzy fusion place, I probably wouldn't even try it if I saw non-asians running the place.

The weird thing is I feel the same way, but at the same time I would kill to have a nice job where I can use the only skill I have. It bothers me even more when I'm eating Japanese/ Korean food and I realise the staff are all Chinese, like it was all lies >.>

Just start your own.

This would be so much fun.

How good is your japanese?

I hate it when people ask this, because its so hard to answer. I can hold a conversation, and I would be fine working in a restaurant situation serving food/ communicating with other staff, but I'm not sure I'd be so great at an interview.

Omikron

Have you guys played the back to the future game? It is amazing, really. Like the forth movie that never was, only better. SO MUCH BETTER

The wife and I started playing it, but stopped for some reason, really should get back to it, we were quite enjoying. Get the feeling the child came along somehow.

Rezbit

EDIT: Finished AssCreeBro. WORST ENDING EVAR. I played for like 30 hours for no ending? Lame.

AssBro sucked. So disappointing after the great 2nd game. I hear Revelations is even worse :\

Regarding food, just whipped up a nice ratatouille to go with a bit chicken breast with mushroom sauce. Nom nom. Love ratatouille, hearty goodness.

Deeku

The weird thing is I feel the same way, but at the same time I would kill to have a nice job where I can use the only skill I have. It bothers me even more when I'm eating Japanese/ Korean food and I realise the staff are all Chinese, like it was all lies >.>
The worst is when the staff butcher irasshaimase:/ At least make an effort to pretend to be Japanese!

Also shanshan's Japanese is so good she started the japanese only thread in community lol!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455776

Seriously though, it's a pretty cool thread idea. Gives me good practice in reading proper Japanese since newspapers is a bit too hard for me, while 2ch and blogs are mostly nonsense and internet slang I don't understand.

Dead Man

I find that a bit disappointing deek. I mean, I understand it, but to not even try it even if everything looked great seems a bit silly.

Salazar

My experience (one day) of working in a Chinese restaurant was pretty god damn amazingly horrible. I was getting hissed at by the end of it.

Deeku

I find that a bit disappointing deek. I mean, I understand it, but to not even try it even if everything looked great seems a bit silly.
Randomly walking past, I probably would not go in. If it was recommended or known for being good, yeah sure I'd try it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Randomly walking past, I probably would not go in. If it was recommended or known for being good, yeah sure I'd try it.

My dad and his wife had their wedding dinner at some Thai place ran by a white guy.

Dude was a prick.

I made a joke to my grandpa about their being no schnitzel on the menu and he over heard and gave me a fucktonne of lip.

I there fore assume all are like this! lol

Unless you mean the Barn? It's like a low budget Hogs Breath last time I was there. Expensive as hell too.
I do. They make it out to be a very classy place with some very attractive looking patrons. Sitting by the fire to the tune of a fancy piano man in a suit while eating teeny tiny little portions. I seriously thought to myself that if I ever go through Mt. Gambier again that we should stop and have a meal.

Oh! Reptilescorpio! Thankyou for Portal!!! :D
Make sure to play it! Then go and buy the sequel and play co-op with the bf, is a hell of a lot of fun.

AssBro sucked. So disappointing after the great 2nd game. I hear Revelations is even worse :\
Just a huge disappointment it was a bit undercooked after AssCree2 was so perfected in every way from the original. It really did feel like AC2.5 but too rushed to hold onto the improvements they had made. It is chock full of content and great ideas but just not executed every time.

Regarding food, just whipped up a nice ratatouille to go with a bit chicken breast with mushroom sauce. Nom nom. Love ratatouille, hearty goodness.
tasting20the20ratatouille.jpg
This scene brought a manly tear to my eye. Also it tastes so damn good with home made bread.

Sal, I don't even need to see the video and I already agree with you.

EDIT: What annoys me more is A. the presenter saying that Annie was made "famous by the movie, but was a popular musical for years before that" and B. the terrible TERRIBLE editing, especially how the interviews are cut off mid sentence several times.

My experience (one day) of working in a Chinese restaurant was pretty god damn amazingly horrible. I was getting hissed at by the end of it.

That's... terrifying. Why would they hiss at you!?

Salazar

That's... terrifying. Why would they hiss at you!?

Well, they didn't explain the drinks system - because I wasn't supposed (for legal reasons, I think) to be serving alcohol, so when I ended up fetching beer for diners, I didn't write it down on the pad. I didn't know there was a goddamn pad. So I ended up "giving away" quite a bit of beer. That made some folks pretty mad. In general, too, I just wasn't quick enough, and I didn't have the sixth-sense of finding something useful to do without needing to be told. Every time I finished something, I would just stand there with a "what's next ?" expression on my face, and that infuriated them.

To hell with it, though. A really tight white shirt and a bow-tie = not me.

Rezbit

tasting20the20ratatouille.jpg
This scene brought a manly tear to my eye. Also it tastes so damn good with home made bread.
Wish I could make it like that. Mine is just a pile of veggies haha. Goes well with everything though.

Yeah that film was amazing. Had some corny lines but that scene is just hnng.

Deeku

Well, they didn't explain the drinks system - because I wasn't supposed (for legal reasons, I think) to be serving alcohol, so when I ended up fetching beer for diners, I didn't write it down on the pad. I didn't know there was a goddamn pad. So I ended up "giving away" quite a bit of beer. That made some folks pretty mad. In general, too, I just wasn't quick enough, and I didn't have the sixth-sense of finding something useful to do without needing to be told. Every time I finished something, I would just stand there with a "what's next ?" expression on my face, and that infuriated them.

To hell with it, though. A really tight white shirt and a bow-tie = not me.

In other words, you sucked at the fundamentals of being a waiter :lol

I waited once at a chinese restaurant too, but I mainly did takeaway phone orders. No bow tie for me thank god!

In general, too, I just wasn't quick enough, and I didn't have the sixth-sense of finding something useful to do without needing to be told. Every time I finished something, I would just stand there with a "what's next ?" expression on my face, and that infuriated them.
Pretty much the most important attribute of a worker in the hospitality industry. If you look useless, if you don't look proactive, you are dead weight.

I don't miss swinging pizzas at all. Managing one of those places was stupid, how the hell are you going to get good workers for such shit wages when the smart ones will just go get a higher paying job? All you end up with are the lazy ones or the ones who want cash in hand to dodge Centrelink (although most of them just go do farm work for insane cash).

Broken Bottles by Silversun Pickups might be my pick for song of the year even though it was an unreleased b-side from an album released in 2009.

Dead Man

Pretty much the most important attribute of a worker in the hospitality industry. If you look useless, if you don't look proactive, you are dead weight.

I don't miss swinging pizzas at all. Managing one of those places was stupid, how the hell are you going to get good workers for such shit wages when the smart ones will just go get a higher paying job? All you end up with are the lazy ones or the ones who want cash in hand to dodge Centrelink (although most of them just go do farm work for insane cash).

Broken Bottles by Silversun Pickups might be my pick for song of the year even though it was an unreleased b-side from an album released in 2009.

About the only thing I like about youth wages is that I will never have to work in food or hospitality.

aww come on guys. How are you supposed to know all that stuff on a first shift?

I would love to wear a uniform with a bowtie/tie though. That would be awesome.

Just the one. He lost the other one in a fight with another tomcat before we got him. Turns out catfights aren't necessarily always sexy.

Ventron

Does anyone else hate those "art" games that just plonk you in a setting and don't tell you what to do? "Oh, but you're supposed to figure out what to do this represents the character's loneliness and spirituality and tears etc..."

*Alt-F4*

Some of these games have the nerve to play an opening cutscene filled with text or poems that make no sense and have no relevance, but spend no time on tutorials or having an intuitive world.

One was a finalist in IndieCade.

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

Dead Man

Does anyone else hate those "art" games that just plonk you in a setting and don't tell you what to do? "Oh, but you're supposed to figure out what to do this is a sad tale of loneliness and spirituality..."

*Alt-F4*

Some of these games have the nerve to play an opening cutscene filled with text or poems that make no sense and have no relevance, but spend no time on tutorials or having an intuitive world.

One was a finalist in IndieCade.

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg
If you are including Another World in that description you need to GTFO. Otherwise... yes. Hate might be a bit strong, but I do find them tedious most of the time.

Ventron

If you are including Another World in that description you need to GTFO. Otherwise... yes. Hate might be a bit strong, but I do find them tedious most of the time.

Haven't played Another World yet. I guess my hate is so strong because I'm just so shocked why this approach is so critically acclaimed, and because in my current programming job we take UI design very seriously thus I've learned a lot of design principles from the UI team. Now that I have, I've noticed a surprising number of games (not just indie) breaking design principles like having intuitive controls or always having a goal in mind.

Very relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Now that I have, I've noticed a surprising number of games (not just indie) breaking design principles like having intuitive controls or always having a goal in mind.
Gotta be different to be hip. Hipsters love to hip.

I didn't like Limbo or Braid. They felt like games I would find on Newgrounds. I have no problem with other people enjoying them or the fact that they did so well. Both creators have done fantastic things for other people in the industry and as a result have/will help bring games to me that I WILL enjoy.

Also I keep trying to stay away but I just ran through the last 2 levels of MW3 again. For the tenth time. I don't know why but I really enjoy the hell out of it.It is just put together so damn well. That final level is brilliant too.

EDIT: Also how we doin with that exponential AusGAF threads graph?

Omikron

I *just* finished LIMBO and thought it was excellent. It didn't need any explanation or narration for that matter.

Just the ending was a bit... :-/ .. however.

I have no idea how anyone knew anything about that game.

You're a kid in a fucked up forest that goes into a fucked up cave system that leads to a fucked up industrial area that leads into a plain fucked up fucked up place.

Anything else that you say the plot was gained by preview and media releases.

Seriously.

Edit: Oh, that was a general statement, not aimed at you, Omi.

Top Bottom