• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I think part of the problem is that small developers are using the "let's fly against convention" as a way of getting noticed. It doesn't work unless the game itself is strong enough to rise above that.

Kritz

Banned
DnD night seemed to be gud. I think Aon is going to be out of country for the next three weeks or so. I will try and make a two session campaign to do for next week and the one after. The week after that, I will be in Melbourne and probably as unable as Aon to do anything.

So hopefully I can make a short campaign for the people turning up.

Didn't care for Limbo -- other than the artsy atmosphere, it was a pretty dull game -- but I did enjoy Braid which I felt was a pretty clever twist on platforming.

I think part of the problem is that small developers are using the "let's fly against convention" as a way of getting noticed. It doesn't work unless the game itself is strong enough to rise above that.

I'm fine with that if they have something unique and fun to put forth. Braid had some cool puzzles but it wasn't a huge step up from other stuff I had played. I really liked the visual theme of Limbo but found the gameplay boring and to be a chore. It wasn't fun. If I want to pay money to not have fun I want to expect that going in. I want to say, "I have $20 and I want to hate myself or roll around in shittiness for an hour and a half." At that point I usually just go grab a movie that I have read is so bad it is bad or chuck Bullet Witch or Alan Wake into the 360 and save myself a few bucks.

Fuck booking tickets over the internet.

1 hour of acute frustration with a shitty website.

versus

10 minutes pleasant conversation over the phone.

Ticketmaster? Fuck they were painful when I used to try and use the website. When RATM came out I knew we had no choice other than to stake out the outlet at the Cats home ground from 6am.

Jintor

tumblr_lx81s4PhNP1qgs4kho1_500.jpg

Tonight's bounty!

Dead Man

Haven't played Another World yet. I guess my hate is so strong because I'm just so shocked why this approach is so critically acclaimed, and because in my current programming job we take UI design very seriously thus I've learned a lot of design principles from the UI team. Now that I have, I've noticed a surprising number of games (not just indie) breaking design principles like having intuitive controls or always having a goal in mind.

Very relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Get on that shit. Good vid.

Get on that shit. Good vid.

I do wish EgoRapter would run a podcast with some of his mates as I could see it being hilarious and spot on correct a lot of the time. No idea how well he would cope outside of scripted videos though of course. The Tester stuff was a bit confusing.

Also Another World was pretty mind blowing at the time and I would argue does the 'against the grain' stuff incredibly well. It is a testament to how well it was made that people still to this day play it and love it. It is pretty cool that he worked on Future Wars before it with Paul Cuisset of Fade to Black fame. His new title Amy looks very, very interesting.

Also someone said something about OwlBoy the other day. I brought it up in here back in August after reading this RPS post, everybody give it a shot! Very fun game.

Clipper

OK, everybody's characters with current gold and stuff are uploaded, I think... Except for the guys that haven't played with us yet...

Link for those without it bookmarked yet.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...be-corrected-by-its-deeds-20120102-1pi7q.html

^^^ I wonder which "prominent conservatives" Gerard has in mind. Scumsucking retards out of the Murdoch barrel who have spent their excuses for careers taking pissant shots at the ABC don't count.

Has Gerard Henderson ever contributed anything worthwhile to society? I'm getting deja vu from the line "Catholicism is an easy target. Islam is not.". Pretty sure he said the exact same thing in the last article of his I bothered to read.

"It's just that in the ABC, as in universities, politically like appoints like". Took me 30 seconds to work out what the hell he was trying to say there. Worst phrasing ever.

I love how he criticizes Margaret and David for their tiny critique of Margaret Thatcher. It's like he doesn't realize the intense hatred she provokes in the motherland.

This sentence is hilarious

"It was another example of an ABC program in which everyone agreed with everyone else, in a fashionable leftist sort of way."

fashionable leftist sort of way. I love that

Salazar

Has Gerard Henderson ever contributed anything worthwhile to society?

Looking sour and cranky, as if he's missed breakfast, on Insiders.

It does seem to be an insoluble problem that all over the world, the folks who complain about public broadcasters not being politically centrist enough are asshole right-wingers whom it is impossible to take seriously.

Dead Man

I do wish EgoRapter would run a podcast with some of his mates as I could see it being hilarious and spot on correct a lot of the time. No idea how well he would cope outside of scripted videos though of course. The Tester stuff was a bit confusing.

Also Another World was pretty mind blowing at the time and I would argue does the 'against the grain' stuff incredibly well. It is a testament to how well it was made that people still to this day play it and love it. It is pretty cool that he worked on Future Wars before it with Paul Cuisset of Fade to Black fame. His new title Amy looks very, very interesting.

Also someone said something about OwlBoy the other day. I brought it up in here back in August after reading this RPS post, everybody give it a shot! Very fun game.
Yeah, he couldn't be too bad, his scripted stuff seems pretty off the cuff at times. And Another World is still one of the finest games I never beat.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...be-corrected-by-its-deeds-20120102-1pi7q.html

^^^ I wonder which "prominent conservatives" Gerard has in mind. Scumsucking retards out of the Murdoch barrel who have spent their excuses for careers taking pissant shots at the ABC don't count.

Good god, what vile tripe.

David and Margaret are the bees knees so fuck anyone who don't agrees.

This too. Margaret can bit a bit airy fairy at times, but David keeps her on her toes.

guidop

What he fails to take into consideration is that these are artistic programs and the "left" almost has a monoply on artistic endevour atleast within this country. Objectively speaking what it takes to be a good artist appeals to people who are sympathetic to the ethos of the left; idealistic, openness, questioning authority. While I sort of agree that the ABC attacks both parties from the left he doesn't actually give an example of it from a news or current affairs program on the ABC. It is actually a really piss poor article love this part "However, any sample of ABC programs will reveal an over-representation of left-of-centre views and a gross under-representation of conservative positions" does he list any examples? no.

Shaneus

Just the one. He lost the other one in a fight with another tomcat before we got him. Turns out catfights aren't necessarily always sexy.
Damn :( Should put a jaunty eyepatch on him or something. Mmm, classy.

So, AusGAF. Finally found the solution to my final problem with comfy couching. This sucker. Now I control my PC from my laptop computer (no screen, just KBAM and perhaps with some tinkering, gamepad support) just as if it were a second monitor. KBAM gaming with a keyboard and mouse that doesn't have to sit on my lap is bliss.

Also, Nation Red is crazy amounts of fun.

so i went to buy some alcohol. it costed $60. i didnt get it and was reminded of the reason i dont drink.
How many people do dermatologists hate???

no one replied to this. if this is a bad joke i am desperate to hear the answer.

DnD night seemed to be gud. I think Aon is going to be out of country for the next three weeks or so. I will try and make a two session campaign to do for next week and the one after. The week after that, I will be in Melbourne and probably as unable as Aon to do anything.

So hopefully I can make a short campaign for the people turning up.
too bad i missed it. how did things end up wrapping up then. what did you do with the pointy stone after we promised not to kill the dragon. did you get sweet loots.

great work. whos next on the list. i assume im last if ever at all.

Think it was to do with an ad on gaf my mom puts glad-wrap on her face or some such
whaaaa???

oh yeah btw kritz
they made winry's boobs bigger and changed the song.
i dont like that.
Edit: they continue to get bigger from episode to episode. I dont like what they [the creators/artists] are doing here.

Yagharek

Amazing thunderstorms all over Perth right now. Been going over an hour with more on the way. Lightning in every direction, must be heaps of ground strikes.

whaaaa???

oh yeah btw kritz
they made winry's boobs bigger and changed the song.
i dont like that.
Edit: they continue to get bigger from episode to episode. I dont like what they [the creators/artists] are doing here.
Eh, the story is fantastic at least.

Made my lunch and ironed my shirt last night so I can laze in bed rather than get up straight away and get ready for work. Feels good

Shaneus

If you are including Another World in that description you need to GTFO. Otherwise... yes. Hate might be a bit strong, but I do find them tedious most of the time.
Swords and Sworcery on iOS. I gave it a bit of a break after making it to the third screen and still had no idea what the fuck I was doing. So I press... here... with my finger... and hold? Or drag? And I double-tap to... do something? Even if gameplay is simple, if it's not obvious then it can be shit.

After fifty hours in Skyrim, I'm now going to focus entirely on the big ticket quests (main plotline, mage guild, thieves guild, etc -- the ones where the most effort will have been spent).

It's painfully obvious that the game is about combat and combat only. Problem with a reincarnated wolf queen? Kill it. Need to reforge an amulet? Kill some guys. Bethesda have a lot to learn about interesting and diverse types of missions structures, and should look to New Vegas for a lot of these lessons.

The most interesting quest I've done so far is probably the
Sheogorath one, as even though I still had to kill things, it was ever so slightly different

Top Bottom