• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yay, thanks to Brisbane weather there are moths and maggots going through my pantry. Yay!

Any idea on how to deal with these shits other than killing them all with my thong? Because they just made me throw out all my Weet-Bit.

The only way to get rid of the larvae is to chuck the food out. And I'll bet they're in more than just your weetbix.

When it's clear, you can get Pantry moth traps at the supermarket. They last a few months and work really well.

pantry_moth_trap.jpg

Danoss

Has anyone played Summoner Wars? That's meant to be an incredible board game for 2 players.

www.gamesparadise.com.au - "free" shipping
when you buy a crapload of stuff
but prices can be a bit on the expensive side. Shitty customer service, in stock games can take a couple of weeks to ship.

Christ, I had no idea about their lazy/dodgyness. Will stay well away.

I'd rather play something like Dominion if we were to go to all that trouble :p

You're a Sydney man also, aren't you?

Omikron

I'd rather play something like Dominion if we were to go to all that trouble :p

I would be down for games, I actually run lunch time sessions at work :/ :p

How long does a game if dominion take?

Oh, our continuing latest game of choice is definitely 7 wonders. Good light strategy game that can take up to 7 players and is done in 30 mins.

Jintor

You're a Sydney man also, aren't you?

Yup. Who else of BoardGameAusGaf wants to play?

Also, I just realised that I find myself writing for rhythm or flow. Like, my paragraphs and sentences have to be a certain length, to feel almost... rhythmic... a bit strange.

Omi, are you SydGaf? I forget :< Hell, I forget where everyone is, you're all AusGaf to me. AusPAX over at Penny-Arcade keeps the cities and states of where everyone is in the OP...

Danoss

So far the SydGAF people I recognise is BanShunsaku, Jintor and myself. There are others we might be able to con into coming... perhaps Rahk and Clipper. Maybe even Choc
HAHAHAHA, who am I kidding?

Omi and Reptile are Melbournites and Rezbit is in Tassie, any others, I'm not too sure.

I think that's right.

How long does a game if dominion take?
It varies depending on what theme you're playing, but you should easily fit in a lunch hour. You can rush it if need be by buying certain cards near the end.

I'm in for a SydGAF board game session.

Never met any of you before. When I do just call me Josh, I really don't care for my username :/

Also I'm old.

Clipper

I would probably be in on SydGaf Boardgame night. I can supply Ticket to Ride (was a birthday present I've played maybe twice due to lack of other players), Mahjongg tiles+mat+table (Man, I love Mahjongg, but all my friends that I played with left Sydney) and/or Get Nifty (The Sluggy Freelance Web-comic card game).

Hell, I forget where everyone is, you're all AusGaf to me. AusPAX over at Penny-Arcade keeps the cities and states of where everyone is in the OP...

I think we should do this for AusGAF 6, it seems pretty handy.

I'm Brisbane, btw, so probably no boardgaming for me :(

Danoss

I'm in for a SydGAF board game session.

Never met any of you before. When I do just call me Josh, I really don't care for my username :/

Also I'm old.

No matter, I'm 30, which may or may not be considered old. The older blokes at the first SydGAF meet got on like a house on fire, it was great.

Clipper too? That's enough for an IRL DnD game maybe, too.

Won't push my luck just yet :p

Hey, great thinking! I'd be in for that. I could bring another RPG for something a little different also (if you like), I have a shitload of them Maybe even Fiasco, once we get to know eachother, since it is full on conversational RP.

As for traditional games, I only own Munchkin at the moment. I will be going shopping for some in the next few days, so that may give us some other options.

Clipper

As for traditional games, I only own Munchkin at the moment. I will be going shopping for some in the next few days, so that may give us some other options.
Munchkin is awesome. I played it once at a Uni board games night and loved it. Especially when the Sluggy Freelance reference card came out ;).

Danoss

I'm 30 in June, so it's good to know I won't be the only old fart.

So bummed I missed the last SydGAF meetup!

Yeah, it was a shame you couldn't be there, though hopefully this thing comes together.

Munchkin is awesome. I played it once at a Uni board games night and loved it. Especially when the Sluggy Freelance reference card came out ;).
It's great! I have the Munchkin Zombies variation as the vanilla was out of stock at the time. It is certainly awesome and humourous in its own right.

Sure, I'd probably be up for some board games or even D&D.

Excellent!

Board games would be great, though I hope someone is capable of being a GM. Even though I own a stack of RPGs, I'm not capable of being a GM (yet).

Clipper

Board games would be great, though I hope someone is capable of being a GM. Even though I own a stack of RPGs, I'm not capable of being a GM (yet).
I might be able to DM if it's 4th ed. DnD. Never done it before, so we'll see how my online test of doing it with AusGAF DnD goes first, though (in a fortnight).

So do you guys seriously want to plan Syd Gaffe 2012: This Time It's Board Games? I think this is a good idea.
Certainly looks like there's plenty of interest for it.

Danoss

I might be able to DM if it's 4th ed. DnD. Never done it before, so we'll see how my online test of doing it with AusGAF DnD goes first, though (in a fortnight).

I've got a bunch of rules-lite RPGs that can be picked up incredibly quickly and lend themselves very well to short games or one-shots if we want to try that to start off with. These are the two stand-out games, I think.

Little Fears

"Monsters are real and they hunt children like you from the shadows. All you have are your wits, your belief, and the friends by your side. No adults can help you. No one else can save you.

Vampires, witches, werewolves, magic, and more await you inside these pages. Find your courage, fight the monsters, become a hero."

I have 6 official adventures for this game and also a guide for creating scary thematic elements (signed by the author, cause he's awesome). Should be relatively easy to run. It's not terribly crunchy either, there is dice-rolling but results and such are very easy to work out.

I have all this in PDF form (all legally purchased), so if you want a copy, let me know.

Dread

"Create and play characters that struggle in the hostile worlds of your imagination. This book contains all that is needed for two or more to play, except for the paper, pencil, and a block-stacking puzzle like Jenga."

A short book that can be read in an afternoon and is mostly filled with tips for creating atmosphere and tense moments. Here's a free copy of the rules from their website (I only have a hardcopy of the book though, no PDF). The PDF is only $12 from DriveThruRPG anyway.

The cool part about this game is that there are no dice, but the substitution isn't ridiculous. Essentially, if a person tries to perform an act in the game that is challenging, stressful or something that goes against their character, they are to perform a "pull"; that is go to the pre-constructed tower of Jenga blocks, pull out a block and place it on top. If they succeed, then the action they attempted occurs. If the tower falls, they die. The tower is much like tension in a horror film, as the tower becomes more unstable, the tension builds. The tension is relieved when the tower falls.

The game has been well play-tested, so many things to do with the tower have been taken into account. Knock it over accidentally? Too bad, you're dead! If you know that the next pull is going to knock the tower over or you just want to do something mega cool, you can walk up to the tower and knock it over on purpose. This is called a "heroic sacrifice". Your action succeeds, but the character dies.

Just a couple of slightly different ideas for those interested in roleplaying, and perhaps something a little easier to run for Clipper, if he feels up to it. They should definitely be easier to run that D&D, especially for a newish GM. Dread may be the more difficult of the two, as you have to time climaxes according to the tower, but I do have a number of official campaigns to make it easier. They are meant to be quite awesome (I haven't read any as I didn't want to be spoiled in case someone other than me ran the game).

What did SYDGAF do on the first meet up?

Beer, cider and wonderful pizza. It was a good time.

pbEUq.jpg

Gazunta

I think we should do this for AusGAF 6, it seems pretty handy.

I'm Brisbane, btw, so probably no boardgaming for me :(

Agyar and Bernbaum were known to take part in group board game get togethers from time to time in Brisbane

and by Brisbane I mean some arty farty west end dive that all you young people hang out at and drink exotic coffees while old boring married suburbanites stay at home and watch TV

Deeku

Not even halfway through the first month of the year and I've already spent way too much on cds, blurays and other nonsense from amazonjp. All my fav artists have to release shit all at the same time for some reason:/

Salazar

I have to save for travel insurance and accommodation. And food, I guess, though McDonalds, pub fish and chips, and sandwiches will do fine. And breakfast will be covered.

So much music I want.

Omikron

Yeah, I never got into the myriad of side projects, but that could have been because early 00a is when I converted to full metal fan.

Omikron

http://www.theage.com.au/national/teach-migrants-about-deodorant-queues-mp-20120110-1ps6o.html

Migrants should be taught about the importance of wearing deodorant and waiting in queues without pushing in, the federal opposition says.

Cultural awareness training should also be given by employers bringing skilled migrants into Australia under the 457 visa program, the coalition's citizenship spokeswoman Teresa Gambaro told The Australian.

Who are these people and why do we share their oxygen?

Also, racism education fail from Aus Post.

ArSiR.jpg

They should be taught much more important things, like how to add "-o" to everything ("ambo", "servo", "bottlo", "arvo", "smoko"). Also when budgie smugglers are appropriate.
Hint: Never

Man, I am glad I don't live in that shithole. I could maybe move to Canada or NZ but that would be about it.

Yeah, I never got into the myriad of side projects, but that could have been because early 00a is when I converted to full metal fan.
I enjoyed Mars Volta but they fell away quite quickly. Omar went way too experimental though. Sparta put out some good stuff early on too.

A MelGAF board game meetup could possibly be the push we need... or a reason to avoid it altogether.
Plenty of room down here in Warrnambool to set up some game!

I cannot believe that they actually said that. Onion News type stuff there. Can't be true.

Also racism education chick is HOT. Dude is just jelly she would never touch his ugly mug.

Bethesda are dicks this generation but still;
J7sCM.jpg

Not like it was going to happen anyway.

I would bet that the kind of people who they're targeting that auspost literature at wouldn't get the message and just laugh at the picture.

midonnay

ahahaha, that deodarant thing is so funny

about a decade back when I was back in my home village I was sweating like a mofo

when some friends came over I apologised profusely because I didn't bring any deodorant

they reply was "no worries....noone uses deodarant...... we all stink ^__^"

Choc

Banned
I saw that Senate MP on Capital Hill once

she is a fat arse racist bitch and with a surname like that is obviously of migrant descent so needs to stfu.

as they said on ABC today, this is make or break for Abbott if he does not smack her down for these comments then he is a gutless arsehole. HE already is that, but this will prove it.

I'd be 1 million dollars he doesn't

FUCKWIT

Teresa-Gambaro-MP-small11-184x184.jpg

DUHHHHH

$40 an hour? What the fuck am I doing in this shitty job! I was only on $20 an hour managing a pizza place too. Tempting to give up full time work and pick up a few shift jobs. Would make a boat load of money but would have to spend less time with the little guy.

BURN IT WITH FIRE, MY EYES ARE FOREVER UNCLEAN

Also Gambaro seems like an ethnic name.

Lulz at looking back at what Omar has been saying about the reforming rumours.

Also lulz at the probable Bethesda Fallout MMO
Chavelo said:
Joined Channel: [1. General - Whiterun]
Joined Channel: [2. Trade - City]
Joined Channel: [3. LocalDragonDefense - Whiterun]
[2. Trade] [Dovahking] WTT Leather Bracers for Legendary Bow of Fire. PST!
[2. Trade] [PipManDude89] I used to play SWTOR and WoW like you...
[2. Trade] [PipManDude89] But then I took an arrow to the knee!
[Chavelo] whispers: So, uh, we found another bug to defeat the dragon... join our raid group!
Disconnected due to FUCK IF WE KNOW. WE GOT ALL YA MONEY, BITCH! Love - Bathesda

midonnay

to be fair, if you go to south asian countries and eat with your left hand, there would be a similar reaction to "whats that stink" face

It wouldn't be racism to suggest to visitors not to eat with the hand every one washes their bum with.

Just educating them about cultural norms

to be fair, if you go to south asian countries and eat with your left hand, there would be a similar reaction to "whats that stink" face

It wouldn't be racism to suggest to visitors not to eat with the hand every one washes their bum with.

Just educating them about cultural norms

She should be aiming a little higher than deodorant though. A minister of her position should be more concerned with the infrastructure needed to make them productive members of our society rather than stuff that should be handled by welcoming committees or support groups run by other immigrants.

Top Bottom