• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

senahorse

No. None of the rich or bohemian areas are there, so culturally people look down their noses at it, but it's really too huge to ascribe anything as specific as that to it. The Bronx is 109 sq km, Western Sydney in terms of the WSROC council areas is 5000+ sq km, and Greater Western Sydney is 9000+ sq km. As of the 2006 Census, it had a population greater than Brisbane. That's not to say it doesn't have a reputation, but it's mostly undeserved. There are good parts and bad parts like anywhere.

Was just in reference to an article in the news this morning regarding 3 separate shootings there in the past week, sounded a bit crazy to have 3 incidents so close to one another in the same area.

edit: as you say though, it's quite a large area.

Just thought I'd drop in, be a douchebag and say I'm going to Coachella.
rK62C.gif

So JB Hi Fi has dumped the PSVITA 3G because it marked up a lot more than it should from the wifi model
Fixed. The wifi price is something they can push to consumers, the 3G price? Not so much.

What are your issues with the S?
The SII is amazings.

Love my S2. Had it for 3 or so months and love it to death. I keep Plume and Internet running at all times updating, same with Gmail and I still have more than 50% battery when I go to bed even with half an hour or so of Cut The Rope or another game while watching TV. Oh and 30 minutes at least a day of Winamp and Last.fm activity.

Even being at home on Wifi (or even forgetting to turn it off when I get to work) doesn't seem to use much. The main killer seems to be Auto-Rotate oddly enough. Also GPS of course.

Danoss

I thought WiFi was the real drain. My phone supports 3G for ages but WiFi is the real murderer.

WiFi is nasty indeed as it was not designed with battery life in mind. With 3G off, watch the difference, it is quite big.

I have a Nexus S with Cyanogen on there. As I am currently always near a WiFi source, it's set up with data switched off entirely and WiFi on, The default option in the software is that WiFi is only on when the screen is on, it's great.

My phone has currently been running for 4 days and has 40% battery life remaining.

Jintor

All the news coming out about the new X-Com UFO Defence looks fucking rad as shiiiiiiiiit

Re: phones, the other deal is that I charge the thing every night, so it's not really that important...

Fredescu

sounded a bit crazy to have 3 incidents so close to one another in the same area.
This is the problem really. One of them could have happened in Richmond and one of them could have happened in Campbelltown, and those are 70kms apart. One thing that has always baffled me is the media's insistance on calling everything "Sydney's West" when there are much better ways of describing the area. They have no problem differentiating between Inner West and West, but when it comes to dividing up the West, they draw a blank.

This is from the Greater Western Sydney Wikipedia page:

The New South Wales Department of Planning's Metropolitan Strategy[5] divides Greater Western Sydney into three sub-regions:

North-West: City of Blacktown, City of Blue Mountains, City of Hawkesbury, The Hills Shire and City of Penrith.
South-West: Camden Council, City of Campbelltown, City of Liverpool and Wollondilly Shire.
West Central: Auburn Council, City of Bankstown, City of Fairfield, City of Holroyd and City of Parramatta.

Those would make a bit more sense, but you never hear it in the news. Worse still, often the Hills District gets called the West, and I've heard the Ryde area get called "North West" which is also crazy.

Currently have 2 pieces of rasin toast for breakfast and 2 sandwiches for lunch. Multigrain bread, sweet chili tuna, lite mayo, lite cheese. Costs like $1.20 to make the sandwiches.

Might need another low cost, yet filling solution for lunch.

Danoss

Worse still, often the Hills District gets called the West, and I've heard the Ryde area get called "North West" which is also crazy.

Whichever Western Sydney group the Hills get lumped in with, they're gonna have a whinge about it. Somehow they think they're special and live in this posh bubble.

senahorse

This is the problem really. One of them could have happened in Richmond and one of them could have happened in Campbelltown, and those are 70kms apart. One thing that has always baffled me is the media's insistance on calling everything "Sydney's West" when there are much better ways of describing the area. They have no problem differentiating between Inner West and West, but when it comes to dividing up the West, they draw a blank.

This is from the Greater Western Sydney Wikipedia page:

The New South Wales Department of Planning's Metropolitan Strategy[5] divides Greater Western Sydney into three sub-regions:

North-West: City of Blacktown, City of Blue Mountains, City of Hawkesbury, The Hills Shire and City of Penrith.
South-West: Camden Council, City of Campbelltown, City of Liverpool and Wollondilly Shire.
West Central: Auburn Council, City of Bankstown, City of Fairfield, City of Holroyd and City of Parramatta.

Those would make a bit more sense, but you never hear it in the news. Worse still, often the Hills District gets called the West, and I've heard the Ryde area get called "North West" which is also crazy.

Thanks for the geography lesson. As someone who lives in little Brisbane (comparatively) it's easy to take generalisations from the media too literally. I have been to Sydney before but never actually got a feel for the land area it occupies, the more you know...

Fredescu

Whichever Western Sydney group the Hills get lumped in with, they're gonna have a whinge about it. Somehow they think they're special and live in this posh bubble.
Probably true, but everywhere else in Sydney gets accuracy in reporting, while "Sydney's West" is the dumping ground for "everywhere else". Inner West gets a bubble, Northern Beaches, Northern Districts, South Sydney, Sutherland Shire all do too. Why not the Hills? Hell, why not Blacktown, Auburn, or Liverpool? Why can't we hear about where shit happens more accurately?

Danoss

Probably true, but everywhere else in Sydney gets accuracy in reporting, while "Sydney's West" is the dumping ground for "everywhere else". Inner West gets a bubble, Northern Beaches, Northern Districts, South Sydney, Sutherland Shire all do too. Why not the Hills? Hell, why not Blacktown, Auburn, or Liverpool? Why can't we hear about where shit happens more accurately?

Totally true man, I just felt like dumping on the posh wankers in the Hills.

"Sydney's West" is something that they seem to use a term of separation from the "nicer" areas of Sydney, or the areas worth worrying about. It doesn't seem to be used in a nice way at all. It's almost like saying "there was a shooting today in Sydney's West" is another way of saying "there was a shooting in Sydney today, but it was over there, don't worry about it, it wasn't anywhere important".

The above might be total rubbish as I haven't watched the news and such for a while, so I may be completely out of touch.

Currently have 2 pieces of rasin toast for breakfast and 2 sandwiches for lunch. Multigrain bread, sweet chili tuna, lite mayo, lite cheese. Costs like $1.20 to make the sandwiches.

Might need another low cost, yet filling solution for lunch.
What's your target cost? I say do away with the bread (high carbs) and the tuna (terrible for the environment) for a start.

If you make stuff in high volume your costs will be quite low. I make a curry (500g meat, 500g potatoes, 1kg frozen vegies and two jars of paste, bung it all in the slow cooker, paired with aged basmati rice) every couple of months and get about 15-20 serves (250g, weighed out) from it, and I freeze them. Take one out in the morning and chuck in the work fridge, and in the microwave at lunch time.

Comes to about $2.50 max per serve.

Jintor

Carb...s...

*looks down at tortolini and pesto mix*

Uh... shit.

What the fuck should I be eating at lunch? I can't survive on salads, people!

Just want to say that JPlay is never useful for me. They are always at least an hour (today 3 hours) behind and all I want to know is what is CURRENTLY playing. Come on Triple J! Give me an app for that!

If you make stuff in high volume your costs will be quite low. I make a curry (500g meat, 500g potatoes, 1kg frozen vegies and two jars of paste, bung it all in the slow cooker, paired with aged basmati rice) every couple of months and get about 15-20 serves (250g, weighed out) from it, and I freeze them. Take one out in the morning and chuck in the work fridge, and in the microwave at lunch time.

Comes to about $2.50 max per serve.

Sounds like a plan. The gf used to make lots of stews last winter but in the move to Warrnambool the slow cooker hasn't been brought out since. How healthy is that stuff though? Seems like it would have high levels of fat.

Also still no microwave at the office. They assure me it won't be far off though!

Sounds like a plan. The gf used to make lots of stews last winter but in the move to Warrnambool the slow cooker hasn't been brought out since. How healthy is that stuff though? Seems like it would have high levels of fat.
Doesn't have to be Indian style curry. Could be a stew, or soup, or Thai curry, or stir fry, fried rice (if you don't care about carbs, which I don't really at the moment but am thinking maybe I should) or whatever that's easy and scales up easily as well.

We have a bar freezer that fits about 40 meals in those little Glad containers (which are great because they're cheap and if they break you just chuck them out) so I try to have 3-4 different things in there so I can decide what to bring in each morning.

Jintor

Yeah I've been looking at low carb stuff as well -- it turns out I intake a crapload each day and I don't even eat that much.

Swearing off soft drinks cut my intake drastically. Water is delicious anyway.

The only exception is these custom-made juice smoothies the fruit shop does... it's got fruit in it, it's got to be good, right? :T

Also I stopped eating biscuits and pizzas and stuff as snacks, started eating more cheese, cabrinossi, and nuts. I wish I could more easily avoid noodles and rice though, being asian has its carb problems.

Had hurricane winds here last night and pouring rain since late afternoon. Froze my arse off walking/being blown to work (no dirty thoughts please) and since about 10am it has cleared up and looks like a beautiful day down the beach.

Although I will step out of work and it will go to shit of course. Very similar to Geelong weather.

Also I stopped eating biscuits and pizzas and stuff as snacks, started eating more cheese, cabrinossi, and nuts. I wish I could more easily avoid noodles and rice though, being asian has its carb problems.

This is what I put with water and it tastes godly. Diet Rite Cranberry Berry & Boysenberry Cordial, super healthy and tastes like it has sugar.

Also I thought all Asian people were skinny? Or at least didn't get as overweight as I am at the moment.

I really need to get on the cheese program too, tastes great but I don't know what to put it with to avoid the carb problem. TOO MUCH THINKING INVOLVED.

This is a really good way to drop some weight. One of my friends had a perpetual stack of cokes in his fridge, but once he got rid of them he lost weight pretty quickly. Its really easy to drink too much.

'up here'? :p

Feels like winter outside here in Melbourne. Cold southerly and rain.

Brisbane :p

fantastic. I'm going down to vic to visit my dear old grandmother, so a nice cool breeze (and less humidity) is something to look forward to.

Also I thought all Asian people were skinny? Or at least didn't get as overweight as I am at the moment.

A lot of Asian girls seem to put on weight pretty quickly, though I've never seen an obese Asian person. My boyfriend and his brother have insane metabolisms, and they are incredibly thin (like, ribcage is visible thin). Dinner's finished? Time to put down 4 - 6 slices of toast for an after dinner snack!

Jintor

The only carb problem is that I can't fucking resist pasta. It's too delicious. I try and mitigate it by having it with salads, but it doesn't work out so well when the salad is also a pasta salad.

Since I generally wear black it's difficult to notice if I'm clothed. I look fucking terrible at the beach though.

If The Hills district is considered a 'posh bubble' I hate to hear what you think about the North Shore.

It's home, baby.

The only carb problem is that I can't fucking resist pasta. It's too delicious. I try and mitigate it by having it with salads, but it doesn't work out so well when the salad is also a pasta salad.
Sounds like me and Bacon. Lucky for me though that Bacon is fantastic for me and no one can tell me otherwise!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
We need to find some premade low-carb stuff in AUS just for those of us who are interested in cutting out some carbs. Along with good food to make and brands locally that makes it easy.

White bread seems to be the killer for me and randomly eating it along with someone else after dinner as well. Most of my dinner is meat and veg, which i believe is a-ok and suggested. It's the extras and high intake of bread that's killing me.

Rezbit

What's the deal with these Valve games like TF2 and L4D2, that have updates that are like 2 gig, then when you check the news it's like: "Fixed one bug."

Clipper

The image eventually gets posted in every iteration of AusGAF, but the current conversation really justifies its inclusion again:

5979226041_ccbb8bdb56.jpg

Yeah, me too. Though I'm not sure how well they'd work for other cities.

The image eventually gets posted in every iteration of AusGAF, but the current conversation really justifies its inclusion again:

It still gets me every time.

this is where I confess that I lived in the shire till I was 12 =/

Rezbit

Are attitudes in Sydney really like that? Mind you I suppose it's not unique to Sydney though. Wasn't so bad in Melbourne (except occasionally heard the term "Westy"), but in Tasmania it's almost like a line is drawn in the middle...we could probably call it the Cascade/Boags DMZ.

Started reading Neuromancer. MAN what a change coming from ASoIaF. From long-winded descriptions of food and clothes to "he pressed the button." Enjoying it so far though.

hamchan

Are attitudes in Sydney really like that? Mind you I suppose it's not unique to Sydney though. Wasn't so bad in Melbourne (except occasionally heard the term "Westy"), but in Tasmania it's almost like a line is drawn in the middle...we could probably call it the Cascade/Boags DMZ.

I can only speak from an Inner West perspective but the image seems pretty accurate to me. :)

MrSerrels

Re: Weight loss. I'm having a hard time losing those last 3-4 kgs I want to lose so I can become a super lean mean rock climbing um... machine.

I was 79kg. Got down to 75 relatively easily. Struggled down to 73. Now I'm 70-71. Getting lighter than that has been an absolute nightmare, even though I exercise crazily and eat very little carbs.

Chocolate is my major issue man. Shit is too delicious.

Shaneus

Carb...s...

*looks down at tortolini and pesto mix*

Uh... shit.

What the fuck should I be eating at lunch? I can't survive on salads, people!
Nando's classic wrap has (from memory) ~20g carbs. Not great if you're hardcore low-carbing it, but if you're reasonable with yer low-carbage (<~100g or so per day) then it's fucking awesome.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Re: Weight loss. I'm having a hard time losing those last 3-4 kgs I want to lose so I can become a super lean mean rock climbing um... machine.

I was 79kg. Got down to 75 relatively easily. Struggled down to 73. Now I'm 70-71. Getting lighter than that has been an absolute nightmare, even though I exercise crazily and eat very little carbs.

How long did it take you to go from 79 to 71? I'm 79 at the moment although i totally can't see myself hitting 70 unless i become a gym junkie or there's just more fat on me that i thought!

ShyGuy

Been away for a while so apologies if this has been asked...but I can't find any info on google...

So, does anyone have Trine 2 on XBLA? Purchased via the AU Xbox Marketplace? Or via a different region and having it made to work on our AU xbox live gamertag accounts via some workaround?

I just want to be able to play this game, I have a Mac Mini that is sorta able to play it but I'd rather just use my Xbox 360...!

Any hints and tips would be appreciated!

Jintor

lol. I'm down to 73 from 80 just from avoiding soft drink and cutting out carbs, and I just started a jogging thingy so if I can stick to it reliably I might start actually lose this goddamn body fat. I know weight's not a completely accurate measure but just seeing the number drop feels damn good. The real problem is converting from fat to muscle though...

Apparently I have relatively good upper body strength, but I probably can't test that until I go rockclimbing again. It's also probably not true, but whatevs.

Hey Serrels we should go rockclimbing

Nando's classic wrap has (from memory) ~20g carbs. Not great if you're hardcore low-carbing it, but if you're reasonable with yer low-carbage (<~100g or so per day) then it's fucking awesome.

<100g a day is a nice easy goal to set. Managable, can still have the occasional pasta/rice mix, and easy enough to calculate.

Top Bottom