• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yagharek

Hey, I just heard about the MP who said the stuff about smelly migrants on the bus. Have I missed the Choc rage post yet? Has he somehow pinned this on Tony Abbott yet?

Funnily enough, as a first-gen immigrant myself, I have to say that the policy, on paper, is actually sensible and would be helpful for immigrants. I know that back in 1990, it would have cleared up some confusion on the part of my family with regard to things like how to serve scallops, Australia, ANZAC and Remembrance day, a rough guide to Aussie humour, generally accepted (and unaccepted) attitudes vis a vis swearing, drinking, gambling, smoking, relationships, the role of women in society, acceptance of gay people and so forth. For my family, it would have allayed the culture shock when they came across these things in real life, as my Mum is so conservative she votes Family First because she thinks the people who vote Liberal are too morally permissive.

But no, she decided to go with the deodorant talking point. Nice.

I've only heard a superficial account of what she said, but for what it's worth, ALL OF AUSTRALIA could do with some hygiene lessons. Specifically for the reason of infectious and communicable diseases.

For instance, there was news this week that in India, totally resistant TB strains have evolved - rendering all known drugs useless. So we should be really screening people from countries with dangerous illnesses and informing them about how to not spread them as a force of habit.

But locally, you also see nasty stuff especially in cafeterias nearby hospitals. People sneezing without covering their mouths, scratching their skin infections and touching things. That's how stuff like MRSA spreads.

Is it Singapore where spitting in public gets you a fine? We probably need stuff like that. People need to be aware of the serious things they are carrying into, out of or around the country.

Pretty sure we get a fine for spitting public here too right? That is what people have told me in the past at least.

Arkham City is pretty fantastic in the moment. So good to grab a Riddler informer and smash hid scared little head against a wall after getting his information.

Refused reforming? Like, the band who released The Shape of Punk to Come which is one of the top 10 albums ever made?

Is this a sign of the apocalypse? All these old bands getting back together to make amends and play some rip snorting tunes as we go down the gurgler?

Better education might be the preferred course of action though.

We need more support groups in pretty much every facet of life. That would educate people much better.

Jintor

This night's bounty

tumblr_lxkzfgw8pY1qgs4kho1_500.jpg

We fucked up a vizard

I rolled a natural 20 on diplomacy and made him tell us that he'd accidentally trapped himself in his awesome conjuration prison

then he threw a wall of fire at us

I was going to get in on this real pic white mug thing, and then I remembered how I don't like photos of myself.

So then I thought I would do something related to my current avatar.

Protip: Don't Google "Sasha Grey drinking" whilst at your place of employment.

I laughed when I read that last bit.

guys as previously mentioned im moving.

i have an unworking copy of burnout paradise for xbox360. do i:
1. bin it
2. trade it into jb hifi claiming it works
3. sell it to cash converters claiming it works

i got it from jb hifi as a preowned and it didnt work when i got it and never found the time to take it back to the jb hifi in question to return it. so.. eyah. i have a few reservations about ripping off jb or cc, but eh. i own BOP on pc now so i dont need it anymore.

ideas?

Dead Man

1. bin it

i got it from jb hifi as a preowned and it didnt work when i got it and never found the time to take it back to the jb hifi in question to return it. so.. eyah. i have a few reservations about ripping off jb or cc, but eh. i own BOP on pc now so i dont need it anymore.

ideas?

2 or 3, whichever gives you more value. Probably 2 from an ethical standpoint.

Danoss

I don't know if I'm too late to catch SydGAF board gamers, but I just bought a bunch of shit for us to potentially play.

• Citadels (on backorder)
  • The Resistance
  • Memoir '44 (2P only)
  • Pandemic
  • Formula D
  • Mansions of Madness
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Summoner Wars (2P only, on backorder)

Hopefully that can add to whatever games everyone else owns and can give us a good place to start. What does everyone think?

Omikron

That is a game splurge for sure :-o

A game that is worthy of most collections is race for the galaxy, downside, wives don't like it. :(

legend166

I've only heard a superficial account of what she said, but for what it's worth, ALL OF AUSTRALIA could do with some hygiene lessons. Specifically for the reason of infectious and communicable diseases.

For instance, there was news this week that in India, totally resistant TB strains have evolved - rendering all known drugs useless. So we should be really screening people from countries with dangerous illnesses and informing them about how to not spread them as a force of habit.

But locally, you also see nasty stuff especially in cafeterias nearby hospitals. People sneezing without covering their mouths, scratching their skin infections and touching things. That's how stuff like MRSA spreads.

Is it Singapore where spitting in public gets you a fine? We probably need stuff like that. People need to be aware of the serious things they are carrying into, out of or around the country.

You know what I blame? People brought up being told to cover their mouth with their hands when they sneeze.

Use your damn arms, people!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

1. bin it

ideas?

Don't trade it back in to a place, that just means that someone else will get a bum copy and be disappointed.

If you have the receipt you should be able to get a refund at JB.

/JB employee

But seriously, why inflict the game on someone else? That's lame.

So, Halo:CE Anniversary early impressions.

As I've mentioned before, I just don't see all the love for Halo. I feel that it's only as popular as it is because there was nothing similar on consoles at the time -- for PC gamers it's nothing special but for console gamers it might be great. I was a PC-only gamer around the time Halo came out. If you look at Metacritic (yeah, yeah), I think it's obvious that compared to Xbox games, it was great, but compared to PC games, just so-so.

I've only just beamed up to the Truth and Reconciliation (do we really need spoiler tags for Halo at this point?) so I'm not far into it. Given the last FPS I've played was MW3, I think I have a good point of comparison between modern shooters and this. Firstly, there are moments early on where it's not obvious at all where to go, both while aboard the Pillar of Autumn and a bit later on the Halo. While I don't want a floating 'Follow', it would be nice to have a little more direction than "we need to find survivors". However, that may have been the point -- you're lost, have no idea where to go and you need to figure it out for yourself. If this is the case, it doesn't succeed very well anyway because it's hardly an open world and after fumbling around for a few moments you'll find your way.

While the open landscapes on the Halo are nice, a lot of the time they're completely wasted as instead of being corridors they're open battlefields connected by corridors (which are likely there only to hide loading sections) -- much of the time you're simply traversing through the battlefields, there's just not a lot of combat early on. The open battlefields though are a nice change from modern whack-a-mole shooters, and the way dropships drop troops in different areas means you're constantly on the move and the battlefield is moving around as well. Obviously once on the ship the open battlefield combat will disappear but it was nice for a little while.

As for the graphics, well, they're nicer than the original Xbox version, but hardly up to scratch with the best looking games on the 360. The Warthog controls terribly, like everything's ice.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't trade it back in to a place, that just means that someone else will get a bum copy and be disappointed.

/JB employee

I agree with this.

No need to be a dick. Just throw it in the bin and move on. If you're desperate to play BP then pick it up on steam when it's like $5 again.

JB HiFi emailed me yesterday to tell me that my order for the La Dispute vinyl was being dispatched yesterday. I received the vinyl last Friday. They must employ special needs monkeys in the online department. Fucking hilarious compared to other online (overseas) retailers. Thankfully their range and prices are fantastic and the instore experiences are always great.

Also OzGameStore is NOT LOGS. They have an address in the Bahamas and don't look very legit. At the very least they are trying to dodge some laws or regulations.

Bought tickets to see Radiohead in Berlin.
Well la dee dar Mr. German man. Enjoy your hipster doofus music while I cry myself to sleep over here in the corner since Thom has no interest in letting me give him my money

:(

You know what I blame? People brought up being told to cover their mouth with their hands when they sneeze.

Use your damn arms, people!
I pull up the neck on my shirt/jumper and cough into it so the germs can float around under my shirt and keep me warm while also not spreading them to other people.

After all, if we cough on our arms what will happen when communism comes back in and we greet each other by shaking arms rather than hands?

Think about it.

Give it to a nephew that you hate.

Don't let your son see you cry over Radiohead, reptile. Me might cease to think of you as a god.

After I have been playing Street Spirit at least once a day for the last week or so I think he would be just as devastated if he asked when Radiohead are coming around next and I have to say, "I don't know son. I can answer most questions for you and can lie for the rest but this is one thing I have to be honest with you about. Also Jesus."

Choc

Banned
im all for home advantage but this si fucking ridiculous

It was the first time in memory a Test strip was greener than the outfield.

Stackboy

Refused reforming? Like, the band who released The Shape of Punk to Come which is one of the top 10 albums ever made?

Is this a sign of the apocalypse? All these old bands getting back together to make amends and play some rip snorting tunes as we go down the gurgler?

Just thought I'd drop in, be a douchebag and say I'm going to Coachella.

Choc

Banned
So JB Hi Fi has dumped the PSVITA 3G because we partnered with Vodafone and they under their terms of trade with telstra are not allowed to sell another telcos device

1. Its not vodafones device.......

2. Those terms of trade would be illegal. the ACC will like to hear about this im sure.

Fuckwit telstra

Choc

Banned
just continuing the tradition of partnering with the worst network

AT&T for example

you can use the vita on telstra and optus. Vodafone will be selling it though therefore preferred partner

Stackboy

Speaking of Vodafone, I'm an idiot for getting on a 2 year contract (halfway through) with them, via a Galaxy S.

I know Vodafone sucks, but so does the Galaxy S. Can't wait to wriggle out of this contract, get an iPhone, then use the iPhone to record a video of me destroying the Galaxy S.

Omikron

Speaking of Vodafone, I'm an idiot for getting on a 2 year contract (halfway through) with them, via a Galaxy S.

I know Vodafone sucks, but so does the Galaxy S. Can't wait to wriggle out of this contract, get an iPhone, then use the iPhone to record a video of me destroying the Galaxy S.

What are your issues with the S?

The SII is amazings.

Stackboy

The SII is amazings.

The battery sucks. I kill all my apps with App Killer and the battery still gets sucked dry in 6 hours. Phone locks up when trying to make phone calls, text, opening apps. Phone is constantly trying to sync.

It's sworn me off android phones for at least 2 years.

Jintor

Went for a run this morning, I think my heart is still freaking the shit out about it.

Enjoyable though. The walk-run-walk-run thing is good, especially when you have an app chiming in your ear at intervals so you don't have to think about it too much and can just concentrate on fuckin' breathing.

Omikron

The battery sucks. I kill all my apps with App Killer and the battery still gets sucked dry in 6 hours. Phone locks up when trying to make phone calls, text, opening apps. Phone is constantly trying to sync.

What OS version does it use? I upgraded recently to 2.3.3 and the battery life is greatly, greatly improved.

The SII is amazings.

I now know of 4 friends that have ditched their iphones after seeing me with my Galaxy S2

Now i think my dad is even going to get one, he is over 70 and still has some flip phone with a 2" screen or something terrible like that. I let him play with mine and he said it is nice to use so he is going to get one. (he has tried the iphone instore as well as asking me about them but it did not interest him)

You shouldn't need a Task Killer with Android. It hibernates apps that haven't been used for a while, meaning they shouldn't continue to drain the battery unless you have them checking things too frequently (e.g. try changing your mail, Twitter, Facebook, etc to check every 30 minutes instead of 5 minutes, as they'll remain in memory otherwise). Turn off Bluetooth when you're not using it, GPS if you find it's still draining too quickly.

If you're constantly using the screen of course the phone battery won't last.

/JB employee

I have the receipt, but it was a good year or two ago now. :p I'm just gonna bin it.

Fredescu

Is West Sydney our version of the Bronx?
No. None of the rich or bohemian areas are there, so culturally people look down their noses at it, but it's really too huge to ascribe anything as specific as that to it. The Bronx is 109 sq km, Western Sydney in terms of the WSROC council areas is 5000+ sq km, and Greater Western Sydney is 9000+ sq km. As of the 2006 Census, it had a population greater than Brisbane. That's not to say it doesn't have a reputation, but it's mostly undeserved. There are good parts and bad parts like anywhere.

MrSerrels

So JB Hi Fi has dumped the PSVITA 3G because we partnered with Vodafone and they under their terms of trade with telstra are not allowed to sell another telcos device

1. Its not vodafones device.......

2. Those terms of trade would be illegal. the ACC will like to hear about this im sure.

Fuckwit telstra

I told the JB man that - they were like, we just want to keep things simple.

Danoss

That is a game splurge for sure :-o

A game that is worthy of most collections is race for the galaxy, downside, wives don't like it. :(

It is indeed quite the splurge, I tend to do that. At least there will be a variety of games for my friends to play that I intend on introducing to the hobby, plus SydGAF

Race for the Galaxy will definitely be one to pick up eventually, but I'm in no rush to grab it yet. My gaming group has a copy and there is a PC program so you can play it by yourself too. It's also pretty hardcore and overwhelming to new players.

My friend had similar problems, which were eventually solved, though we weren't entirely sure which of 2 problems were the cause or whether it was a mixture. It was either the programs Optus loaded on there or faulty hardware, or both (the latter is the dominant theory).

Eventually his phone was sent to Samsung (after he purposely bricked it to force them to fix the damn problem) and they diagnosed it as having a faulty board in it. The board was replaced and the phone returned to him, and the instability issues stopped. He then loaded Cyanogen on there and the battery problems ceased; he now gets many, many days of use out of it between charges.

One tip I will give you is to turn goddamn 3G off. You most likely don't use it all the time, just toggle it on and off as needed, it is a massive drain and you will be surprised by the amount of use you can now get out of the same battery.

The other one is to load Cyanogen on there if you're able. It is seriously very well done. It's basically vanilla android with some tweaks in there, you're guaranteed to love it.

Top Bottom