• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yagharek

I dont come to GAF for stimulating hypothetical discussions. Let alone topics that seasonally crop up and are debated ad nauseum in Australia's insular media outlets (of all persuasions).

Apologies if you mistook my statements for giving a fuck.

They don't do charitable work, for a start. They are a reckless activist organization.

Even before we get to the fact that they are wankers. If your work involves throwing stuff at other people, the government should, where it does not prosecute you, render you no assistance whatsoever.

I can't really remember, but I think one of them got arrested by the Japanese for assault. There are ways to go about supporting a cause, but for godsakes don't do it with dangerous publicity stunts and assaulting fishermen. What they do actually makes me feel even less endeared to their cause.

Rezbit

Okay, so what do you guys propose? I have no sympathy for whalers. None. Even considering "being a wanker and throwing shit."

Maybe it's wrong to fight violence with violence. But sometimes it is literally all that can be done when every other course of action fails and governments are as limp as a flaccid dick.

midonnay

They don't do charitable work, for a start. They are a reckless activist organization.

Even before we get to the fact that they are wankers. If your work involves throwing stuff at other people, the government should, where it does not prosecute you, render you no assistance whatsoever.

lots of organisations get charity status through educational endeavors though.

really...with the donations they're getting, they're small fry compared to religious run businesses which are dominating multi-million dollar industries.

Yagharek

Okay, so what do you guys propose? I have no sympathy for whalers. None. Even considering "being a wanker and throwing shit."

Maybe it's wrong to fight violence with violence. But sometimes it is literally all that can be done when every other course of action fails and governments are as limp as a flaccid dick.

I'd be marginally less opposed to it if they could demonstrate a non-brutal killing method.

Bernbaum

I don't know if I'm too late to catch SydGAF board gamers, but I just bought a bunch of shit for us to potentially play.

• Citadels (on backorder) - A great staple in anyone's collection. It plays similarly every time, but it does a good job of keeping the margin between strong and weak players pretty tight, so you'll rarely have any one player dominating proceedings.

• The Resistance - An incredibly simple game that got increasingly entertaining each time our group played it. Best enjoyed with a large group that understands what makes the game tick. You will doubt everyone but yourself right until the last moments of the game. My core group of gamers were always down for a game of this and it never got old. Play with me and you get bonus laughs because I am an idiot.
    Pras is maths and Agyar is a Resistance

• Memoir '44 (2P only) - can't comment.

• Pandemic - I've never beaten this game but every time I've played it, we've come dizzyingly close to beating the Pandemic. It's a real tease and a little sadistic. A good example of a co-op 'everyone vs the system' kinda game.

• Formula D - can't comment.

• Mansions of Madness - These kind of games generally don't click with me. Any game with a map and lots of moving parts strikes me as something that would work better as a video game. That said, these games can be fun once you get over the assortment of discrete systems at play.

• Battlestar Galactica - This is a fantastic, rich, well-realised game but it's way too long for my attention span and everything I like about it has been extracted and distilled into 'The Resistance'. It does a surprisingly good job of nailing the feel of desperation and hopelessness so iconic of the TV series, and depending on the characters you choose to play as, it can play completely differently every time. You really need to plan a day to play this and I guarantee a full game will take longer to play than you think it will, especially if you keep stealing Agyar's beers. Don't play against former Creative Assembly/Sega designers with degrees in economics and whose hobbies includes maths.

• Summoner Wars (2P only, on backorder) - can't comment.

Hopefully that can add to whatever games everyone else owns and can give us a good place to start. What does everyone think?

As above.

Yagharek

Someone needs to test the laws regarding scientific whaling, and challenge them in the ICC or whatever an appropriate forum is. Require evidence that they are doing scientific research, and if they cannot demonstrate, chase them across the oceans with the Oceanic Viking as per the South American Patagonian Toothfish poachers a few years ago.

Danoss

As above.

Thanks Bern, I appreciate your comments.

I'm glad to have it confirmed that I've picked up some good games, even if a couple of them are rather similar in the theme of deceit (though that was intentional). I'm sure we'll be in for a lot of fun. Shame you're unable to join in, as the more the merrier!

Stronger diplomatic action. I don't recognise an appealing alternative.

This. What does Sea Shepard hope to achieve with this? Annoy the Japanese fishermen even more? Everyone knows about whaling, so I don't see how they could possibly get more publicity. Its not going to make them stop, and if anything strengthen their resolve.

Just wondering, does sea shepard also harass the Nordic and Korean fishermen?

Rezbit

This. What does Sea Shepard hope to achieve with this? Annoy the Japanese fishermen even more? Everyone knows about whaling, so I don't see how they could possibly get more publicity. Its not going to make them stop, and if anything strengthen their resolve.

Just wondering, does sea shepard also harass the Nordic and Korean fishermen?

So we shouldn't disrupt whalers because it "annoys them"? I'd hope hijacking them makes them stop. Do Nordic and Korean countries hunt endangered animals? If so the Sea Shepherd should stop them too.

So we shouldn't disrupt whalers because it "annoys them"? I'd hope hijacking them makes them stop. Do Nordic and Korean countries hunt endangered animals? If so they should!

No, we shouldn't "disrupt them" because because throwing acid, assault and ramming ships is illegal. I realise my post came off sounding weird, but all I meant was its only annoying them, but it hasn't made them stop. Its made them stubborn. This tactic is not working. They think they are in the legal right, so the only way to get them to stop is to show them that they are in the legal wrong - through the international court, or by closing the "research" loophole.

As a side note, minke whales (which the Japanese hunt) aren't endangered. Fin whales (which the Nordic countries hunt) are, but Japan seems to be the only country we hear about. I guess it has a bit to do with them being in Australian waters (?).

I don't wanna argue with you guys :(

EDIT: Yeah Jintor, they haven't been able to meet their quota. I still don't think piracy is the right way to go about it.

Jintor

Actually, haven't Japanese whaling expeditions been on the decline in the past few years primarily due to this kind of activism?

Rezbit

No, we shouldn't "disrupt them" because because throwing acid, assault and ramming ships is illegal. I realise my post came off sounding weird, but all I meant was its only annoying them, but it hasn't made them stop. Its made them stubborn. This tactic is not working. They think they are in the legal right, so the only way to get them to stop is to show them that they are in the legal wrong - through the international court, or by closing the "research" loophole.

As a side note, minke whales (which the Japanese hunt) aren't endangered. Fin whales (which the Nordic countries hunt) are, but Japan seems to be the only country we hear about. I guess it has a bit to do with them being in Australian waters (?).

I don't wanna argue with you guys :(

EDIT: Yeah Jintor, they haven't been able to meet their quota. I still don't think piracy is the right way to go about it.

Yes, and I would argue whaling in all forms should be illegal, along with all sorts of unsustainable fishing. You do realise that diplomacy has been tried, right? The fact is, if you have to come in to southern waters with a boat to kill whales, you are doing it wrong.

So pumped to see The Muppets tonight! :D

Also I should mention my love for whales.
Just lightly sautéed with some shiitake mushrooms and a cheeky little pinot grigio.

Omikron

Vince did a good job of proving he actually did give a fuck in the end I think.

With whaling, I disagree with the whalers form of killing etc, but I also think those sea shepherd activists are complete dicks. I do understand their frustrations at the diplomatic route however, did anyone watch the doco on the dolphin trade in Japan that was on a while back?

Anyway, day 6 of this cold. It isn't that bad, but I am over it. Thinking taking time off earlier in the week would have been wise.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The movie Omi has mentioned is "The Cove"

A 2009 film iirc.

I recommend everyone go and watch it now. One of the best doco's I've ever seen.

legend166

Honestly...I'm putting my GAF reputation on the line here, but I say go Sea Shepherd. The "killing whales for science" excuse is bullshit, and diplomacy has well and truly failed to stop it. I also fully approve of the Rangers in South Africa and beyond shooting poachers in the parks to stop them from killing endangered animals.

Maybe I'm some green-commie-hippy...so be it.

You support shooting poachers? Like, with guns? To kill them?

You support shooting poachers? Like, with guns? To kill them?
I do if the poachers have guns.

I don't support the Sea Shepherd though. They go too far. Dial it back 50% so it is annoying enough but not stooping to a low level. The ends do not justify the means. We need a political level change on the issue as this a societal and cultural issue, we need to convince them it isn't the right thing to be whaling in this manner.

legend166

Yes? You do realize they are heavily armed and don't give a fuck if they kill rangers, right? They literally shoot not only animals, but people too if the opportunity presents itself.

Well I didn't know that. Obviously I'm okay with rangers protecting themselves. But shooting people to protect animals? Should never happen.

LOL Sri Lanka made 43 against SA, their lowest ODI total ever. SA have been running along well, looking forward to us playing them next. Should be a great contest to see who in our team has the fortitude to stand up against it.

GMG has the Deus Ex that has been wiped from the history books for $2.50

Well I didn't know that. Obviously I'm okay with rangers protecting themselves. But shooting people to protect animals? Should never happen.

Duck Hunt Protester shot in the face? I'm fine with that. The hunting is legal, lobby to get it changed (I think the season is probably longer than it should be). We don't have dams up home any more so no more shooting for us, not that big of a fan of eating duck any way.

Poachers who take wild animals away from their nature preserves? Fuck em.

Shaneus

So, AusGAF. Did I say I solved the question of whether I should get a 7970 or not? I didn't? Oh, well... I did. Given I didn't want to shell out $750 for a single card, I settled for buying my brother's 5970 so now I'm a tri-fire boy with my already-present 5850. Oh yeah.

jambo

All we need to do to get the Japanese to stop hunting whales and dolphins is show them a photo of a chicken and a cow in the Enola Gay...

senahorse

Considering Japan conduct Whaling under the guise of 'research' and yet apparently need 1000+ whales caught a year for this, I am happy there are groups like Sea Shepard taking the hard line. But, then again, I don't value human life as much as others do, especially when on one side of fence you have humanity at a population of 7 billion and Minke Whales probably not even 1 million.

Yagharek

There was a guy in Perth who kicked a quokka. Someone could have shot him and saved everyone the hassle of all the other stupid shit he will inevitably do.

And as with rezbit, nothing wrong with shooting poachers. How many top level predators or slow breeding animals like rhinos and elephants do these people send to extinction for a fancy piece of keratin. Same goes for anyone hunting sharks for fins only, or tigers for a bit of cock soup.

Can't believe this is almost out. Want that Signature copy so so much.

Nice, Japanodefense activate. They need those whales to power their anime machines, guys.
I read Jalapeñodefense and got excited. All for nothing :(

So, AusGAF. Did I say I solved the question of whether I should get a 7970 or not? I didn't? Oh, well... I did. Given I didn't want to shell out $750 for a single card, I settled for buying my brother's 5970 so now I'm a tri-fire boy with my already-present 5850. Oh yeah.
Come over to the greeeeeeeeeeeenside!

<videogames>

Bastion's soundtrack is one of the best I can remember. No really, it is.

</videogames>
Signed copy sitting at home. Second best soundtrack of the year behind Shadows of the Damned.
2011-10-04-21.57.15pazj.jpg

bastionfrontb8zu.jpg

Might even grab the Deus Ex 3 OST as it was fantastic too.

All we need to do to get the Japanese to stop hunting whales and dolphins is show them a photo of a chicken and a cow in the Enola Gay...
Would be more effective in the long term than the Sea Shepard. As long as they don't cause a world shortage of pigs I will survive.

Shaneus

Didn't you swear off Crossfire? Now you're back at it?
Yeah, but after upgrading my CPU (Q9550->2500K) I've found that the games with truly bad scaling were largely CPU bound, poorly coded and becoming less and less frequent... main examples being Blur and F1 2011, both woefully undersupported post-release (at least Blur had a good excuse, with Bizarre being put out to pasture). Almost everything else scales surprisingly well with three GPUs, in some cases with a better ratio than with two (ie. 1xGPU may get 20fps, two may get 30 but three would get 55fps) and next-to-no microstutter.

Good luck.
Hoping that I won't need it, likely that I will. If not, I can always sell the 5970 for what I paid for it if I'm not happy with the results. Will put the machine through it's paces over the next week.

I read Jalapeñodefense and got excited. All for nothing :(
Sounds like a chess move. "You used the Jalapeño defense? What kind of a Russian chess player are you?!?".

Come over to the greeeeeeeeeeeenside!
May very well. In the very least, this will more than last me until nVidia unleash their monster and ATI have dropped the price of their 7000-series cards. Like I said, if not I can sell the 5970 for a fair price and suck it up.

Signed copy sitting at home. Second best soundtrack of the year behind Shadows of the Damned.
http://h11.abload.de/img/bastionfrontb8zu.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://h11.abload.de/img/bastionfrontb8zu.jpg[IMG]
Might even grab the Deus Ex 3 OST as it was fantastic too.[/quote]
Still haven't listened to mine yet. Still disappointed with the cheap quality of the cover :(

Cows give me T-bone steaks which make them cool in my book. Which reminds me that I haven't had a steak in a hell of a long time.
Pigs win though because they are hilarious to watch trotting around the farm and they give me Bacon. So in reality the chosen son of God is Pig. So good.

Only reason I upgraded was due to crappy PC ports that were too heavily CPU-bound. If not, would've happily stuck with it. But if you are looking to sell, you can still get a decent price for it.

That is madness! I paid $225 for my 2500k!

Top Bottom