• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

legend166

Considering Japan conduct Whaling under the guise of 'research' and yet apparently need 1000+ whales caught a year for this, I am happy there are groups like Sea Shepard taking the hard line. But, then again, I don't value human life as much as others do, especially when on one side of fence you have humanity at a population of 7 billion and Minke Whales probably not even 1 million.

There was a guy in Perth who kicked a quokka. Someone could have shot him and saved everyone the hassle of all the other stupid shit he will inevitably do.

And as with rezbit, nothing wrong with shooting poachers. How many top level predators or slow breeding animals like rhinos and elephants do these people send to extinction for a fancy piece of keratin. Same goes for anyone hunting sharks for fins only, or tigers for a bit of cock soup.

I don't know how to respond to these comments.

Just to necro the whaling thing. I'm going to be in the minority and agree with Rez. Throwing stinky at people who live with the carcasses of whales isn't going to do shit. I would honestly have more sympathy for them if they were legit militants.

Clipper

Just a reminder to anybody who missed it yesterday. I'm sure we had more than 5 interested before, so let us know the following information (as well as if you can bring chairs) soon.

So, SydGAF Boardgamers, what are we going to do for the board games thing? I think we can agree it has to be a weekend, right? We really need to work out stuff like starting time, duration, if you can host, transport arrangements (some people might need a lift for certain hosts) and anything else relevant. After we figure that out, we can get to picking a weekend.

Here's my information:

Availability: Weekends
Starting time: Anything reasonable
Preferred Duration: Anything up to 6 hrs really (or longer if we do movies and stuff)
Location if able to host: I could host with a table that seats 4-8 but only have 4 chairs. Randwick, and very close to bus stop.
Transport: I would need transport if chosen host isn't accessible by PT.

And let me check I didn't miss anybody either. These are the responses I'm aware of:
Clipper
Jintor
Rahk
Danoss
BanShunsaku

Any I missed?

Omi brought up a great point!

What is everyone's favourite soundtracks and how did they enhance the pleasure of the game for you?

Mine would be Shadows of the Damned this year because the game was dripping with style, the music was woven into the gorgeous art design and level flow to the point where I had to stop and realise I was pushing Garcia around the world in more of a rhythmic dance than actually worrying about tried and true methods of despatching the undead filth from my path. It covers the whole spectrum, from hard edged metal to bombastic pop to contemplative electronic ambience. It pulled everything together perfectly and suited the guilty pleasure writing and delivery of the voice overs.

jambo

Favourite gaming OSTs would be Unreal Tournament, Half-Life and Need for Speed IV High Stakes.

Really, really good 90s electronica with surprisingly high production quality and while HL is mostly atmospheric music, UT and NFS work brilliantly as stand-alone albums that I listen to a lot.

Also the Skyrim music is brilliant, I ordered the OST last week so that one will probably join the above 3 as a favourite. It's a 4 disc edition with the last disc being over 40 minutes of ambient noises, which I look forward to looping at work when I need to calm down =p

Favourite gaming OSTs would be Unreal Tournament, Half-Life and Need for Speed IV High Stakes.

Really, really good 90s electronica with surprisingly high production quality and while HL is mostly atmospheric music, UT and NFS work brilliantly as stand-alone albums that I listen to a lot.

Oh that reminds me of the Wipeout series which always have incredible music. Wipeout HD was the standout downloadable game for me for ages (maybe even still) even though I suck at it. Was a great showcase title to use for people who were thinking about getting into HD console gaming. Music is so good and the Zone mode is a hell of a great time. Still boot it up every now and then for the visual clarity and whole feel of the game to hit me in the face. Was very much a next gen moment when I first played it.

senahorse

Really?

What's your hierarchy? I'm genuinely curious.

And don't say you value all life the same, because we both know that's not true.

Well I don't have a hierarchy as such, but if I did I could probably find a lot of situations In which where I would put another species first. The human civilisation has proven itself to be a very cruel and destructive, and I like that there are people out there sticking up for these marvelous creatures. Killing these whales are not about survival but all about providing a delicacy. Now I don't actively support people like Sea Shepard but nor do I shed a tear when a whaler dies, I actually like that they provide balance. There are plenty of live animals that they can slaughter for food that can be bred in activity.

Typed quickly on my iPhone, so apologies for spelling or confusing writing.

A question for you. Why are humans paramount to all others?

wonzo

Banned
Just to necro the whaling thing. I'm going to be in the minority and agree with Rez. Throwing stinky at people who live with the carcasses of whales isn't going to do shit. I would honestly have more sympathy for them if they were legit militants.
I'm pretty sure the main purpose of the stink bombs is to spoil the whale meat so they can't sell it.

Fredescu

Yeah, I am CPU limited bigtime, but don't have the funds atm to upgrade, perhaps later in the year :D
Really? When do you notice it? I have a Q9550 and haven't any real problems. Mine is running at 3.6Ghz though.

On a similar note, I find it just unbelievable how well Hard Reset runs for how good it looks. Everything is so smooth.

I can't think of many soundtracks right now, but there has never been anything as epic as the skyrim theme.

Maybe I should have quoted shanshan310's post questioning our apparently discriminatory attention on Japanese whaling over Finnish to give context to my tongue-in-cheek ad hominem rebuke..
My goal wasn't to defend the Japanese whaling program at all. Other countries also doing it doesnt make one any less wrong. I think we should be focusing on all countries involved, not just Japan. My problem is when it becomes a racial thing, and people dont distinguish between whalers and the general population. For example, ive heard many "japan didnt learn their lesson with hiroshima"/"lets kill the japanese for research and see how they like it" comments that frankly i find a little disgusting.

I'm on my phone so this is taking ages to write. Sorry:(
Down in vic for the next week so I'll only be on my phone.

Stackboy

The SSX3 soundtrack is superb. I typically don't like the genres most of the artists come from, but in that game they all click really well.

Omikron

Really? When do you notice it? I have a Q9550 and haven't any real problems. Mine is running at 3.6Ghz though.

Notice it in destruction sequences, in games like Bad Company 2 in particular.

Skyrim, pretty sure this has issues as well, particularly seeing I have upgraded my gfx card lately.

Does it effect overall enjoyment of games? Nope. But does it irritate me as some sort of perfectionist? Yes. :p

Fredescu

Oh yeah, I never got BC2 to run at 60fps all the time. Is that possible with a 2500k? I don't think I've tried it since I got my 570.

Deeku

So apparently, Star of the Giants (a popular 60s baseball manga/anime) is being remade into a cricket anime for the Indian anime market.

This will be amazing :lol :lol

Jintor

My goal wasn't to defend the Japanese whaling program at all. Other countries also doing it doesnt make one any less wrong. I think we should be focusing on all countries involved, not just Japan. My problem is when it becomes a racial thing, and people dont distinguish between whalers and the general population. For example, ive heard many "japan didnt learn their lesson with hiroshima"/"lets kill the japanese for research and see how they like it" comments that frankly i find a little disgusting.

Honestly, that shit is balls.

Remember the Tsunami? Remember the fucks who posted completely bullshit racist shit on their walls?

Fuck those guys.

Cup Combo

So apparently, Star of the Giants (a popular 60s baseball manga/anime) is being remade into a cricket anime for the Indian anime market.

This will be amazing :lol :lol
DAY ONE!

I have no idea at all tbh, when is the next lot of intel hardware out? Might wait until then.
This is the combo I am running, paid $350 from MSI in Geelong. So good. Ivy Bridge is an enthusiast upgrade and since AMD shit the bed people are saying the 2500k isn't likely to come down in price any time soon.

Shaneus

Yeah, I am CPU limited bigtime, but don't have the funds atm to upgrade, perhaps later in the year :D
When I upgraded, it was pretty cheap (though apparently it's been even cheaper). ~$225 for the CPU, $130 for the motherboard and $60 (or $80?) for RAM. Everything else I already had. Add another $50 or so for a top-shit air-cooled heatsink/fan.

That is madness! I paid $225 for my 2500k!
Isn't it just? I haven't sold mine yet (my brother thinks he'll use it as an upgraded work PC... paid for by his work) but I'm genuinely stunned that it's been getting that much on eBay. Perhaps for legacy devices or something? I don't know if mine's one of the super-awesome "E0" chips, but I have gotten some decent OC's out of it (I think I had it up to 3.82GHz stable?) so maybe it is and maybe it's worth a shitload.

On a similar note, I find it just unbelievable how well Hard Reset runs for how good it looks. Everything is so smooth.
I mentioned it before (and I know you weren't asking me) but personally, it was shit, unoptimised PC ports. I knew I still had a great PC and for the most part, well-developed games would run fine, but poorly-coded/ported ones like F1 2011 and Blur were a struggle to get running satisfactorily. If it wasn't for those (or there were only a handful of games I cared about and they were well supported) I'd still be using the same rig.

Omi brought up a great point!

What is everyone's favourite soundtracks and how did they enhance the pleasure of the game for you?
Star Control 2, PC.

Enough said.

I could go into more detail or possibly run through another couple of games (I'm not really counting licensed soundtracks... Wipeout/2097/3 would shit all over almost everything else, with Midnight Club LA a close second) but nothing else has, for it's (relative) time, a soundtrack as suitably epic and fitting for the world it was set in.

I will say, though, that from what I've played the SotD score is fucking incredible.

Oh yeah, I never got BC2 to run at 60fps all the time. Is that possible with a 2500k? I don't think I've tried it since I got my 570.
Is that Battlefield BC2? I have it, but have never played it. Would be happy to run any tests if you give me step-by-step instructions on settings and can have it run on a single GPU if you wanted to see what CPU scaling was like. Keep in mind I'm running my 3.3GHz 2500K at 4.7GHz, though :D

Yagharek

Really?

What's your hierarchy? I'm genuinely curious.

And don't say you value all life the same, because we both know that's not true.

A simple hierarchy would be to place value at the species level. We should be doing what we can to avoid species going extinct via our own species actions or deliberate inaction. At the same time, we shouldn't be causing needless suffering when killing for meat, for example.

Animals don't exist for our benefit, and its heinous to see them hunted to extinction for any reason, be it attacking sheep, or for decorating walls, making pianos or increasing libido in elaborate placebo potions.

Yagharek

Honestly, that shit is balls.

Remember the Tsunami? Remember the fucks who posted completely bullshit racist shit on their walls?

Fuck those guys.

No one here is saying shit like that, so lets not muddy the waters by associating the two disparate topics.

Echoplx

This is the combo I am running, paid $350 from MSI in Geelong. So good. Ivy Bridge is an enthusiast upgrade and since AMD shit the bed people are saying the 2500k isn't likely to come down in price any time soon.

Exactly what I'm buying next week, plus 8GB RAM for 55$, then I save up and wait for the new Nvidia GPUs

Will be able to make some money back by selling my current i7 860 setup so shouldn't be too bad.

I have 2 fave game soundtracks - Nier and Shatter. Both completely different and awesome. Nier's soundtrack still stirs up emotions when I listen to it, and Shatter's soundtrack pumps me up like crazy. Both are worth listening to if you haven't already.

Fredescu

I mentioned it before (and I know you weren't asking me) but personally, it was shit, unoptimised PC ports. I knew I still had a great PC and for the most part, well-developed games would run fine, but poorly-coded/ported ones like F1 2011 and Blur were a struggle to get running satisfactorily.
Pretty sure I get 60fps in Blur and F1. There aren't all that many poor console ports these days.

Is that Battlefield BC2? I have it, but have never played it. Would be happy to run any tests if you give me step-by-step instructions on settings and can have it run on a single GPU if you wanted to see what CPU scaling was like. Keep in mind I'm running my 3.3GHz 2500K at 4.7GHz, though :D
Yep. I don't care enough to get you to test or anything because I can't justify an upgrade for how few games I play at the moment. I'm just interested to know what new games are CPU bound by the Q9550. I don't think it's that many.

Gazunta

Considering we're running a KOF XIII soundtrack giveaway contest on the company's Facebook / Twitter / g+ page today I'll stay out of the soundtrack discussion.
But cods is right

There was a whale in Starglider 2, that was cool.

The mechanical keyboard thread has got me looking again.

People say great things about the Razer Blackwidow with Blue keys and it is $110 at PCCG. The lit up version is an extra $40 which is a bit pricey.

Only problem is I have no idea how loud they are, they are apparently pretty loud, so is there anywhere I can try keyboards out before I buy them? Otherwise it seems like a great price.

A simple hierarchy would be to place value at the species level. We should be doing what we can to avoid species going extinct via our own species actions or deliberate inaction. At the same time, we shouldn't be causing needless suffering when killing for meat, for example.

Animals don't exist for our benefit, and its heinous to see them hunted to extinction for any reason, be it attacking sheep, or for decorating walls, making pianos or increasing libido in elaborate placebo potions.
While I agree with this, I don't think that seeing someone whaling gives you the right to Shoot them.

jambo

I already have this

xGPtA.jpg

but it is damn tempting to get them all in 1080P

Shaneus

Exactly what I'm buying next week, plus 8GB RAM for 55$, then I save up and wait for the new Nvidia GPUs

Will be able to make some money back by selling my current i7 860 setup so shouldn't be too bad.
Anything in particular sold you on that motherboard? I've gone this one and it appears to have better specs across the board. I can personally vouch for reliability etc., but have no idea about the other board.

So, SydGAF Boardgamers, what are we going to do for the board games thing? I think we can agree it has to be a weekend, right? We really need to work out stuff like starting time, duration, if you can host, transport arrangements (some people might need a lift for certain hosts) and anything else relevant. After we figure that out, we can get to picking a weekend.

Here's my information:

Availability: Weekends
Starting time: I am not an early bird so nothing too unreasonable.
Preferred Duration: Not too fussed, 6 hours seems cool.
Location if able to host: Can't host unfortunately.
Transport: Don't have a car so for anything out of bicycle range of a train station or walking distance of a bus stop I'd need a lift.

remz

The mechanical keyboard thread has got me looking again.

People say great things about the Razer Blackwidow with Blue keys and it is $110 at PCCG. The lit up version is an extra $40 which is a bit pricey.

Only problem is I have no idea how loud they are, they are apparently pretty loud, so is there anywhere I can try keyboards out before I buy them? Otherwise it seems like a great price.
Hmm. I sure saw a black widow in a store once and it had a little window where you could try out pressing the keys through. So maybe you could hunt down one of them!?

Yagharek

While I agree with this, I don't think that seeing someone whaling gives you the right to Shoot them.

Well no, because they are still acting legally. Even though they are exploiting the letter of the law.

I'd have no qualms about seeing someone who hunted white rhinos get hunted down themselves, along with whomever is paying for the product. Nothing more disgusting than seeing a rare animal slaughtered for a horn and the carcass left to rot.

Echoplx

Anything in particular sold you on that motherboard? I've gone this one and it appears to have better specs across the board. I can personally vouch for reliability etc., but have no idea about the other board.

Nothing really, just happened to catch my attention while browsing.

I'll probably pick up that ASRock as it has better SATA port positioning.

Top Bottom