• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Rahk

I am probably the only one here that has never heard of, or seen, any of the board games mentioned here recently. They all look really complicated, but kinda neat and interesting. Maybe I'll stop by and watch during the Sydgaf board game dealio. (if it's held at a place nearish me, ie clipper's house lol)

I have heard of some of the titles but don't know the rules or anything, so we're pretty much in the same boat. I doubt it would take too long to learn though.

I am probably the only one here that has never heard of, or seen, any of the board games mentioned here recently. They all look really complicated, but kinda neat and interesting. Maybe I'll stop by and watch during the Sydgaf board game dealio. (if it's held at a place nearish me, ie clipper's house lol)

You're not the only one.
The only one I know is Carcassonne which I play on my iPad. I might download Ticket to Ride.

Speaking of board games, had a couple of good games of Agricola the other night. Gatdayum, it's hard to score much in that game! Diversifying seems to be the key. So many -1's!!!

Rahk

All the cool hipster boardgamers custom make their boxes. For shame Omi.

The bingo.

Tied up and Thrashed? More of a Fetch man myself. Continually throw something so he keeps going and getting it until he gets tired and needs a nap. Works at treat!

Heh. I was referring to the first sentence i.e. Today Tonight.

Danoss

Moving this to a new page as it would probably be cold, lost and forgotten at the bottom of the previous one.

Wait, I just realised, don't you go to Macquarie Uni? What if it was arranged there? It may be more central to the lot of us (especially a poor sod like me who's all the way out west) and there's less PT varieties needed to get there.

Frawdder

I'm the same. I've never heard of most of these games before but most of them sound really interesting to play. My issue is finding like-minded people to play with.

Nope, I'm the same. I think I've played Risk, and Axis and Allies and that's it. Some of them look pretty cool though.

Fredescu

My favourite board game as a kid:

pic100974_md.jpg

r1chard

I got given Perpetual Motion Machine for xmas. It's a fun mix of Fluxx and Poker. My 8yo daughter and I played it and she picked up the gameplay pretty quickly. The only downside is that it starts off pretty slowly.

We also got one of the new Fluxx sets, Martian Fluxx, which extends the basic Fluxx game really well and has a bunch of good humour worked in.

Stackboy

I went to DC last year. Nice place, but it was very... sterile. Huge parts of the city were just empty streets with no cars or people. China town was awesome though, there's an amazing pizza place called Matchbox right near it. I heartily recommend they go and dine in, it's really, really nice.

Sounds good, I'm going there late March, any tips on cool things to see? Will check out Matchbox.

Shaneus

Any other Ausgaffers making the trip to PAX East in Boston, over easter? I'm catching up with some US friends, but would be cool if we had an Aus contingent.
You ARE the contingent ;)

A lot look complicated, but are actually pretty easy to learn and play.
Random question: Where does Weinhandler rate on the scale of board games? Only curious to see if Idle Thumbs' fascination with it is random or actually worth it. If so, I might actually grab it to play at the next MelbGAF meetup or something.

My favourite board game as a kid:

pic100974_md.jpg
Mine:
aHSWl.jpg

Rezbit

BSG is really simple but just shit loads of fun. I've never even seen the series and it's my favorite board game. Thinking about picking up Pandemic myself.

Danoss

BSG is really simple but just shit loads of fun. I've never even seen the series and it's my favorite board game. Thinking about picking up Pandemic myself.

If you were thinking about Arkham Horror as I recall, then Pandemic would be a great buy. At their core, they are quite similar; the main difference is Pandemic will play faster. Much faster.

Danoss

Just last night, I watched an Aussie made movie called "The Tunnel" after hearing about it on a podcast. It's set in the abandoned rail tunnels underneath Sydney around the city circle. It's suspense/scary/horror and it's quite well done, definitely worth a watch if you like a good scare or sitting on the edge of your seat in anticipation or dread. Best of all, IT'S FREE TO WATCH! The makers were even seeding their own torrents of it, which is greatl.

If you like it and feel like donating, they're offering for sale on DVD, but the really cool thing that they're doing to make their money back is selling individual frames of the movie for $1 each. There is a lucky frame that gets to share in their earnings too. At present, they've sold 49,060 frames out of 135,000. Not bad at all.

So many great ideas have been done here, I applaud their efforts in getting people to see the movie. For more details, their website is here.

MQU is not a terrible idea

Cool, I hope others can warm up to it.

Deeku

Well nice to know I'm not the only one who knows nothing about board games!

Danoss said:
Wait, I just realised, don't you go to Macquarie Uni? What if it was arranged there? It may be more central to the lot of us (especially a poor sod like me who's all the way out west) and there's less PT varieties needed to get there.
Yeah but I've graduated so I won't be around that area often anymore. And it's strictly a "maybe" for me, so it's better to organise around people that are definitely attending.

MQU doesn't seem like a bad idea for you guys though since most people here, I think, are in the North or West (me and clipper seem to be the only east people here, again not sure). Plus it's pretty convenient in terms of transport from basically anywhere.

I can understand if it wasn't your cup of tea, but "so shit?"

I remember the PC port running horribly for me, not to mention it just didn't feel right on PC with keyboard and mouse.

Also you didn't play Halo 2 Omi because you were probably running XP at the time and didn't want to infect your computer with Vista ;)

Omikron

I remember the PC port running horribly for me, not to mention it just didn't feel right on PC with keyboard and mouse.

Also you didn't play Halo 2 Omi because you were probably running XP at the time and didn't want to infect your computer with Vista ;)

This is also true. And Halo 2 PC was not the game that would make people jump ship either tbh. Halo1 PC was fuck off awful.

Fredescu

The sad thing about Halo 2 is it didn't technically require Vista. They couldn't even be bothered to use DX10, they just forced it to not run on XP.

jambo

I hope we hear more about GTA V soon.

And GTA VI being a Miami remake would be glorious. Maybe even GTA V DLC, but that's probably me dreaming.

Kritz

Banned
Dungeons and Dragons

Tonight, 7pm. I am DM.

Clipper, banana, don, rahk. Holycheck?

I think Jintor and Marsh have both checked out for tonight? Let me know either way. Will be using the dumb Wizards tool, mumble, etc. Focus will be on non-combat, I suspect.

Tonight will be pretty free-form. I'm not really pre-planning anything, as the idea is to give the players a bit of a choice into how they solve the scenario.

Depending on how many players there are tonight, I will be introducing the following rules:

All players take turns, even during non-combat. This gives each player a chance to do something, and not be talked over.

Absolutely no rolling unless you have been asked to, or I have allowed it. Any rolls that happen before I've confirmed what you are doing will be void. This is so I don't have to deal with three people rolling at once for various checks.

We'll see how it goes tonight and hopefully everyone will have fun. See you in chat, or at 7pm.

I used to know all of Vice City off by heart, but no longer :<

it's what happens when you don't visit often

Oh hell yes. I knew the GTA 3 trilogy maps picture perfect, mainly from those damn taxi missions. DAT AMBULANCE SIDEMISSION PAIN.

Also vaguely recall the layout for System Shock 2. Deus Ex 3 is fresh enough that I can remember a few levels completely, especially the Hengsha area.

I need paying jobs :T

speaking of which I should probably get on this game for review or goose is going to kill me

Go to melbourne. Everywhere is hiring! EVERYWHERE.

The bingo.

tumblr_lmgazwMsEB1qc4cp9o1_500.gif

Sure is gloomy.

What happened to this meetup we were doing? When and where are we gathering for boardgames and drinks?

Sorry, I started to organise it but then I've been offline :s

Some time in feb (maybe the weekend of the 4-5th?) at either West End or Caxton street (?). Or did you guys wanna do a board game night instead? (I unfortunately won't be able to offer up my house if that's the case)

Dungeons and Dragons

Tonight, 7pm. I am DM.

Clipper, banana, don, rahk. Holycheck?

I think Jintor and Marsh have both checked out for tonight? Let me know either way. Will be using the dumb Wizards tool, mumble, etc. Focus will be on non-combat, I suspect.

Tonight will be pretty free-form. I'm not really pre-planning anything, as the idea is to give the players a bit of a choice into how they solve the scenario.

Depending on how many players there are tonight, I will be introducing the following rules:

All players take turns, even during non-combat. This gives each player a chance to do something, and not be talked over.

Absolutely no rolling unless you have been asked to, or I have allowed it. Any rolls that happen before I've confirmed what you are doing will be void. This is so I don't have to deal with three people rolling at once for various checks.

We'll see how it goes tonight and hopefully everyone will have fun. See you in chat, or at 7pm.

I have indeed, Wizbad got angry and must have smashed my gem before he died so i seem to be trapped until the next adventure (or i get internet in my new place)
Enjoy

Shaneus

If you don't Omi by now... you will never never never Omi.
Post of the thread. Get this man a beer.

Oh hell yes. I knew the GTA 3 trilogy maps picture perfect, mainly from those damn taxi missions. DAT AMBULANCE SIDEMISSION PAIN.

Also vaguely recall the layout for System Shock 2. Deus Ex 3 is fresh enough that I can remember a few levels completely, especially the Hengsha area.
Crackdown map. Even though it felt lazy using the exact same map, it was awesome to go to landmarks I remember and find them all in ruin. The fairground and the gym were both particularly awesome in that regard.

Stackboy

I know I have shitty writing, but I am thinking that is worse :p

I blame my early schooling for my terrible writing. I think I should have been a lefty, but they never picked up on it.

I write with my right, kick with my left, throw with my left, play tennis with both hands and can play drums on either a right or left handed kit.

Top Bottom