• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Let me ask you this: How many abodiginals do you know who are male models?
12. My mortal enemy was one but then it turned out he knew how to break dance which saved our community centre from the corporate pigs who wanted to turn it into airport parking. After that we were best of buds.

Also casual racism is huge. Loki at Healeys comment the other day. That is more a stereotyping example but Facebook and Twitter is the refuge of the closeminded among us.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
16th Jan 2010 - Qantas flight delayed at singapore for 12 hours, overnight stay at 5 star hotel.

16th Jan 2012 - Qantas flight delayed at singapore for 12 hours, overnight stay at 5 star hotel.

COINCIDENCE ??!!??!!

You like to spend my birthday in a 5 star hotel? That's kinda romantic.

Also I might add, being the only white guy at a big family gathering is an eye opening experience and something that would benefit a lot of people. Ignorance is the biggest issue with racism.

jambo

i think the airtrain in brisvegas is worse

i could pull the 'at least we have a train to the airport' card. I was stuck on the westgate bridge i think it is for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages once

All we have in Adelaide is buses and taxis.

There was talk of a tram line from the airport to the CBD, but I haven't heard anything on it since mid last year.

The dude who first got screen time in the first episode of Season 2. Just moved the focus of the comedy and energy of the show to a place I didn't like. By his 3rd appearance they had dialed him into the nuances of the other crew perfectly and he found his sad little place that worked perfectly. Every time he pops up now it is a joy rather than an irritating diversion.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I fucking hated him for his first few appearances but now he's one of my favourites.

At the risk of starting a shitstorm, the amount of casual racism in Australia scares the shit out of me sometimes.

Yup. It's horrifying. I hope it's a vocal minority, but I really don't know anymore

Shaneus

12. My mortal enemy was one but then it turned out he knew how to break dance which saved our community centre from the corporate pigs who wanted to turn it into airport parking. After that we were best of buds.
0jFxJ.jpg

You know it was a Zoolander reference, right? Right?

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I fucking hated him for his first few appearances but now he's one of my favourites.
To clarify, it's Rafi we're talking about, yeah?

You know it was a Zoolander reference, right? Right?/spoiler]
Yup so I decided to reference another movie as well as discussions from this thread yesterday. Because that is how I roll.

Also teaching kids to read is a very fun and rewarding experience.

Damn it man I spent like 3 posts trying to avoid naming the spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet!

Stackboy

Hey internet (that includes you Ausgaf), just because it's MLK day in the US doesn't mean you can slack off. Entertain me with your anecdotes.

Yagharek

No casual racism in Australia. Its all core racism.

I am of the opinion that racism is a human trait, not a national trait, however. Everyone is guilty.

Hey internet (that includes you Ausgaf), just because it's MLK day in the US doesn't mean you can slack off. Entertain me with your anecdotes.

My friend, who is currently interning at the US Consulate, doesn't have to work on both US and Australian public holidays. If I wasn't unemployed for the moment I would be very jealous. As is, just means we get to chill more often, and I get to appear like more of a global citizen for 'celebrating' Martin Luther King day.

Omikron

Quality game. If frustrating as all get out. ;)

(The expansion is also worth picking up, if just to keep your virus cubes in little petri dishes!)

Stackboy

Yaaaay!! You guys are entertaining.

THANKS AUSGUF.

My sister and her family just moved to Washington DC. My bro in law is working at the consulate and his first day at work is today, Martin Luther King Jnr day. A public holiday.

Typical Australian.

Shaneus

Danoss

Quality game. If frustrating as all get out. ;)

(The expansion is also worth picking up, if just to keep your virus cubes in little petri dishes!)

I'll keep the expansion in mind once I wring all the fun and frustration out of this game.

Looked up the expansion on BGG and those petri dishes are pretty cool, I must admit.

LqsUP.jpg

Bernbaum

Attention board game SydGAF, there has been a new arrival.

http://i.imgur.com/xBsnm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotion as you convince yourself that you've got the Pandemic contained only to have everything crumble around you.

-

The 'Australians are racist' discussions on GAF aren't without their hazards. However, it's worth mentioning that there exists a certain brand of racism almost unique to the country: it's subtle and casual in nature; many aren't aware that it's actually racist; and we take offense when called out for it by non-Australians. It's therefore a particularly dangerous mindset as those who practise it are on the defensive, convinced they aren't being ignorant and a vicious cycle then ensues. There's racism everywhere in the world but the native Australian type is of concern because of just how pervasive it is across various levels of society.

An unsavoury side effect of being an island nation sharing no borders with speakers of different languages.

Danoss

The downside to the expansion is the original box isn't quite big enough to fit all the bits neatly :(

Pet hate.

Funny you mention that. Whilst I was looking it up, I discovered that someone found a way to do just that. It looks like they removed the insert from the expansion box and put everything inside that. Demonstrated below.

cbW4s.jpg

IjYjG.jpg

Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotion as you convince yourself that you've got the Pandemic contained only to have everything crumble around you.

This totally made me laugh; I can picture exactly see that happening. Someone is bound to hell "Noooooooo!"

Stackboy

Any other Ausgaffers making the trip to PAX East in Boston, over easter? I'm catching up with some US friends, but would be cool if we had an Aus contingent.

Omikron

Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotion as you convince yourself that you've got the Pandemic contained only to have everything crumble around you..

Yah... the big downside for the game is sometimes you can see yourself failing in the first 15 minutes or so, I am always tempted to reset knowing that is the case.

Funny you mention that. Whilst I was looking it up, I discovered that someone found a way to do just that. It looks like they removed the insert from the expansion box and put everything inside that. Demonstrated below.

Yeah they are close, but when you put the board in on top, it results in the lid not fitting quite flush on the box. So it goes.

legend166

Australia is one of the most racist nations in the world

but we are all in denial

Don't buy this.

There's nothing to suggest Australia is more or less racist than any other country on earth.

Note: I was going to say "western country", then I thought about it and realised that practically every country on earth has racist elements.

Fredescu

I am of the opinion that racism is a human trait, not a national trait, however. Everyone is guilty.
Yep, it's one of those things that have been bred into us as a survival mechanism.

An unsavoury side effect of being an island nation sharing no borders with speakers of different languages.
Spot on. Australians are so culturally naive that it's become a part of our identity. People see accusations of racism, like the Hey Hey incident, as attacks on their identity. That's a bit stronger than just being wrong, it's like entrenched cultural ignorance.

jambo

My sister and her family just moved to Washington DC. My bro in law is working at the consulate and his first day at work is today, Martin Luther King Jnr day. A public holiday.

I went to DC last year. Nice place, but it was very... sterile. Huge parts of the city were just empty streets with no cars or people. China town was awesome though, there's an amazing pizza place called Matchbox right near it. I heartily recommend they go and dine in, it's really, really nice.

Deeku

I am probably the only one here that has never heard of, or seen, any of the board games mentioned here recently. They all look really complicated, but kinda neat and interesting. Maybe I'll stop by and watch during the Sydgaf board game dealio. (if it's held at a place nearish me, ie clipper's house lol)

Omikron

I am probably the only one here that has never heard of, or seen, any of the board games mentioned here recently. They all look really complicated, but kinda neat and interesting. Maybe I'll stop by and watch during the Sydgaf board game dealio. (if it's held at a place nearish me, ie clipper's house lol)

A lot look complicated, but are actually pretty easy to learn and play.

Yeah they are close, but when you put the board in on top, it results in the lid not fitting quite flush on the box. So it goes.
All the cool hipster boardgamers custom make their boxes. For shame Omi.

Spot on. Australians are so culturally naive that it's become a part of our identity. People see accusations of racism, like the Hey Hey incident, as attacks on their identity. That's a bit stronger than just being wrong, it's like entrenched cultural ignorance.
The bingo.

Please. Choc is a TT man.
Tied up and Thrashed? More of a Fetch man myself. Continually throw something so he keeps going and getting it until he gets tired and needs a nap. Works at treat!

Danoss

A lot look complicated, but are actually pretty easy to learn and play.

Totally.

I thought BSG and Mansions of Madness were going to be complicated. How wrong I was, they're pretty easy to play and you'll learn in about 10 mins.

Most board games we played as children are more complicated.

Top Bottom