• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Danoss

Here's a recipe I posted previously when someone mentioned rice dish. I was cooking it tonight and thought I would take some photos along the way and share them. Bonus recipe at the bottom (seriously check it out).

Chili Con Carne

Ingredients
500g mince steak
1 large carrot
1 medium brown onion
1 clove of garlic
400g tin of whole peeled tomatoes
400g tin of red kidney beans
400g tin of chick peas (optional)
3 large red chilis
chili powder
ground cumin
salt
pepper
1 and 1/2 cup of rice (basmati preferred)
sour cream
shredded cheese
corn chips (optional)

98TwZ.jpg

Preparation
Dice carrot, onion, garlic and chili

SOIc0.jpg

Drain tins of red kidney beans and chick peas and rinse.

Method
Heat oil

Tkz1r.jpg

and place onion, carrot and chili in a large-ish pan.

R0432.jpg

Cook until onions are golden.

Throw in garlic.
Sprinkle in a tablespoon or so of chili powder and ground cumin

KCQnF.jpg

mix well.
Place mince meat in,

d1Q46.jpg

breaking it up and cook until brown.

gIaJ0.jpg

Grind some salt and pepper on meat while cooking.
Add whole peeled tomatoes

JSafi.jpg

and break them up.
Add red kidney beans.

RK4KF.jpg

Add chick peas (optional) - I chose not to tonight.

Simmer for 20-25 mins uncovered.
While the above is simmering, bring a pot of water to the boil and cook rice as per instructions.

cF0ba.jpg

To Serve
Add the mixture to a bed of rice.
Sprinkle some shredded cheese to the top as it will melt well with the heat
Add a dollop of sour cream on top and stir in to smooth out the spicy flavours and hold everything together better.

5KKOA.jpg

Poke some corn chips into the meal or spread around the outside for presentation. - I didn't have any, so couldn't.

As per a request, I also have a dessert recipe to post. I don't have any pictures unfortunately, because I haven't cooked it in a while. It is very simple to make, tastes fantastic and the ladies love it, I promise. I was actually propositioned after a woman tasted it and found out it came from my oven (not even kidding). Anyway, here it is:

Sweet Impossible Pie

Ingredients
4 eggs
120g butter/margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
½ cup plain flour
2 tbspn vanilla essence
2 cups milk

Method
Preheat oven to 180ºC

Cream butter and sugar.
Then add all ingredients and mix well.
Place mixture on a 9" greased pie plate.
Bake for 1 hour or until centre is firm.

Seriously, that's it. A few mins on an electric beater, throw it in the oven and wait an hour. You can have it hot or cold, though I prefer to leave mine to settle and then throw it in the fridge overnight. The flavour is subtle and very moreish at that stage, guaranteed to impress.

What makes it "impossible" is that it creates is own base as the different ingredients settle in the oven. This is not the only pie that does that, but it's the one I know the recipe for.

Enjoy :)

Fredescu

Listening to the Picaresque right now

I think because the songs are very tale-like and lyrical, similar to many of the bands I already like
One of my all time favourite albums I think. What other tale-like music do you listen to? Listened to much Nick Cave? He's a master at that sort of thing.

Ice platforming? Whatchu smokin' reptile

today I have learnt two major things

a) 20s fashion is fuckin' styling
b) I quite like The Decemberists
Both are great. The times in AC where you have to throw
an ice grenade in the water to create a floating platform. They just suck. Just fiddly and boring and takes all the energy out of the game.

Oh and if you like tale-like music checkout Wildlife by La Dispute. Different sound but with a very story driven song writing structure.

Also, danoss needs a rice cooker!
Love our little rice cooker. Just grab something cheap and it makes things soooo much easier.

As per a request, I also have a dessert recipe to post. I don't have any pictures unfortunately, because I haven't cooked it in a while. It is very simple to make, tastes fantastic and the ladies love it, I promise. I was actually propositioned after a woman tasted it and found out it came from my oven (not even kidding). Anyway, here it is:

Sweet Impossible Pie

Ingredients
4 eggs
120g butter/margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
½ cup plain flour
2 tbspn vanilla essence
2 cups milk

Method
Preheat oven to 180ºC

Cream butter and sugar.
Then add all ingredients and mix well.
Place mixture on a 9" greased pie plate.
Bake for 1 hour or until centre is firm.

Seriously, that's it. A few mins on an electric beater, throw it in the oven and wait an hour. You can have it hot or cold, though I prefer to leave mine to settle and then throw it in the fridge overnight. The flavour is subtle and very moreish at that stage, guaranteed to impress.

What makes it "impossible" is that it creates its own base as the different ingredients settle in the oven. This is not the only pie that does that, but it's the one I know the recipe for.

Enjoy :)

Thanks dude! Although I don't usually put cheese on CCC or carrot. I'm lazy like that. Also everyone it tastes great the next day taken straight out of the fridge with some Sour Cream! No microwave required!

Rezbit

I just had to play basketball against the best team in our comp in 35 degree heat.

My ghost is posting this because I am dead.

Dead Man

Here's a recipe I posted previously when someone mentioned rice dish. I was cooking it tonight and thought I would take some photos along the way and share them. Bonus recipe at the bottom (seriously check it out).

Chili Con Carne

That looks damn good man, I think I'll make it this weekend.

Yagharek

They're both great in their own way, Couscous is the lower effort one out of the two, but no less nice.

I do a nice Moroccan Lamb and Couscous, it's delicious.

Yeah, cous-cous works well with lots of North African type dishes, and Greek. The texture is what I like about it.

Whats that cooking thing called - tagine? We have one, and they are awesome.

Shaneus

Due to some family matters (dinner), DND will be postponed until about 7:45pm. Sorry 'bout that.
This post does not have enough Carl Winslow. F-

Get with the program, bitches: Slow cookers are boss.
DO NOT EAT QUICKLY.

(Tip courtesy of Jase. Jokified by Shaneus.)

I've been experimenting with a whole bunch of different music, but Queen is still fucking amazing, yo
It's pretty much the only artist I specifically play songs of anymore in Rock Band. Everything else is random, but an all-Queen setlist is killer.

I blame my early schooling for my terrible writing. I think I should have been a lefty, but they never picked up on it.

I write with my right, kick with my left, throw with my left, play tennis with both hands and can play drums on either a right or left handed kit.

I write with my left, kick with my right, throw with my left, play tennis left-handed and play cricket/golf right-handed.

You're not the only one.
The only one I know is Carcassonne which I play on my iPad. I might download Ticket to Ride.

i played my first game of that today. thanks to thinking a monastary was actually a tree and some wrong button presses i got my ass whooped.
I need paying jobs :T

speaking of which I should probably get on this game for review or goose is going to kill me

did you get any space bucks for your article? credits? microsoft points? anything?

i drewed a thing

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxy29kPiff1rnx5rho1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326892680&Signature=CxA%2Brh%2FVzSH3F4i6ludK6U%2FZw1g%3D[IMG][/QUOTE]

aww where was my livestream. i missed it this week.

edit: shhhhh i didnt do that.

Jintor

did you get any space bucks for your article? credits? microsoft points? anything?

I got to work with two journos I really respect and learn a little about editing methods and whatnot!

Also, I think I'll edit the pic a little... the burn scars do look a little too much like fur or something :T

:lol :lol

While drumming with feet seems cool, HTT would kick their butts any day!

Can't wait for the movie to drop

Ydahs

Hey AusGAF,

As some of you know, I run a fantasy footy website. After getting sick of the current design, I thought I'd attempt creating a new, more modern design.

Can you guys have a look at the new design and let me know what you think should stay and what should go?

Image of current design

Image of new design (WIP)

One of my brothers likes the new one while the other prefers the current. I think the new one has more 'life' to it and it really allows for a more dynamic front page. It also looks more inviting. One the other hand, the current one still feels classier to me (might be because I'm so damn used to it).

Any advice and criticism appreciated.

Clipper

OK, so AusGAF DnD info...

Next game is on Monday the 23rd with me in the DM role. By then, anybody who is considering playing needs to let me know the following (if you haven't already):

1: We got to level 3, just. That means everybody needs to select a new power. Let me know your choice or contact me to get access to the tool to see what your choices are.

2: We got some loot, but it is currently unspecified. Rahk, Donc, Banana, Jintor, Marsh and Holy, there's a level 6, level 5, level 4, level 3 and a level 2 item to split between you. Kritz' proposal is to provide some wish-lists of items (perhaps 5-10 long) with items in the 2-6 range and I'll devise some sort of lottery to define who gets what.

3: In addition, you can buy some stuff at the store if you want. We all get 2pp (200gp) from the end of Kritz' adventure, giving you some spending money if need be. Let me know if you're buying anything

4: Depending on availability, we might need to limit numbers for the next adventure a bit. This might be on a first come first served or random roll basis. I'll try to settle this before the night.

5: Given that we've levelled up, I'm going to need to reimport all the characters again. If there are any common modifications to dice rolls your character gets, let me know and I can edit up your character in the tool so that you have the dice to roll them properly.

Danoss, you want aged basmati if you can find it. The linked one is the same one I have at home. Before cooking, give it a good rinse and leave to soak for 30-60 minutes, then rinse again and cook as normal (I do it in the rice cooker but your way is fine as well).

You'll end up with much nicer basmati, and the stuff linked above will result in individual grains 2cm or longer that won't stick.

Jintor

Another run

rip me to shreds if I give up these runs, Ausgaf. I was faltering halfway through today but powered on through

dat runner's high

True dat.

Don't worry, you'll get to the stage where your brain doesn't want to go for a run but your body will demand the endorphins and compel you to go.

Choc

Banned
Gillard abandons pokie reforms. You cowardly bitch.

once wilkie was no longer the balance of power, was always going to happen.

Tony might be in for a long year this year if she keeps back flipping on things he is going at her like a pack dog for

Top Bottom