• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Buckethead has done another laid back album in the vein of Colma and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Just on DRM in general: I have no problems with 'always online' DRM if it's only enforced during the first couple of months a game goes on sale. After all, that's when most of the revenue is made.

Then, when 75% or more of forecast sales are met, patch it out.

That way, people who are dead keen on the game buy on day 1. Those who want to buy but can't maintain an online connection (and thus miss out on a hassle free experience) can still buy the game and give money to the people who made the game.

A bit of give and take wouldn't go astray.

Which is why I love CD Projekt. Had retail disc DRM to curb early piracy and then removed it in a patch. They got sued by the publisher for it but it was a great way of doing things.

Every company promises to patch out DRM when they stop supporting the game with servers or forums but it is still worrying to have to wait that long and hope they keep their word.

Yagharek

Which is why I love CD Projekt. Had retail disc DRM to curb early piracy and then removed it in a patch. They got sued by the publisher for it but it was a great way of doing things.

Every company promises to patch out DRM when they stop supporting the game with servers or forums but it is still worrying to have to wait that long and hope they keep their word.

Yeah, I'd only trust a developer who has already built a customer-friendly reputation on their promises.

Kritz

Banned
http://www.twitch.tv/kritz7/b/305926555

From 30 minutes on I'm flying the helicopter.
About 34 minutes in, I'm doing the tutorial for taking off.
At 47 minutes in, story mode starts! And the AI fucking takes control away from me for being a bad pilot.
49:30 minutes in, something special.
At 59, I lose my fucking shit the moment I learn this game has Arma 2 controls.
Then for about 20 minutes I am trying to remember how to fly the fucking thing
I think from about 1:40:00 onwards it just turns into a weird music montage.

If you've gotten that far, part 2 of it (link below the video on the site) has me finally getting to the thing that's on the box art of the game. And, um. Well.

Danoss

Yar, Dresden Files books are awesome.

I'm looking forward to getting into the rest of them. I'm told they only get better.

I also have a great pair of very well done books to play in the Dresdenverse after I've finished reading the books. I can't venture too far into the "Our World" book because it contains spoilers all the way up to book 10.

Even if you don't want to use the Dresdenverse setting, it still contains the very sophisticated and clever FATE system. Almost any idea you can come up with is doable with FATE. It is very flexible. I can't wait until the setting-less FATE Core book comes out later this year.

VtM61.jpg

Madrical

Banned
Audiophile Ausgaffers,

As much as I love my headphones, I want a nice pair of speakers for playing music from my PS3 and my record player. What are some recommended stores to check out? Both JB HIFI and West Coast HIFI seem to exclusively have big 5.1 setups and nothing else.

Any recommendations on stores and/or brands? Likewise Sony seemed to have only 5.1 or 7.1 setups.

Danoss

As I recommended to Shaneus and one other, you're best off looking for a nice stereo setup. They're versatile, relatively inexpensive and sound fantastic.

Bookshelf speakers are what you're likely to require and the brands I would look at and demo in-store would be:

• Paradigm
  • Dynaudio
  • B&W
To drive these, the type of amplifier required will be an Integrated Stereo Amplifier. Any of these brands will be fine and make ones suitable for this application:

• Yamaha
  • NAD
  • Denon
These brands aren't the be-all and end-all, but they are great options to look at and will be commonplace amongst respected hi-fi stores. I'm assuming you're in Perth and so I don't know of any places to look unfortunately, but JB Hi-FI are indeed a no-go for this sort of stuff, as are any big box or franchised stores.

I don't want to start a shit-fight, but if at any point a salesman recommends BOSE, get up and walk out immediately.

I'm not sure which turntable you have, but you are likely to need a phono-stage to feed into the amplifer. A nice, cheap option is the Cambridge Audio 540P.

Take a CD you know well with you to the store so you can demo the speakers properly and see which one delivers a sound you like. All good hi-fi stores will have a soundproofed room for you to do this in.

This should have been the first thing I asked, but what is your budget? The options above are slightly above most of the big 5.1 or 7.1 solutions you would have seen in JB and such to give you an idea. You can get out for about $1000-1500, excluding phono-stage depending on you budget and needs (based on a setup for an average sized bedroom). The main difference is that the value is much higher. You can easily spend big dollars in a hi-fi store, but bear in mind the size of the room you'll be using the speakers in and make sure the salesman is aware. If you have a big room to fill, you need bigger speakers and vice versa.

Hopefully this helps you out some or at least points you in the right direction.

Danoss, confess ignorance on at least one manly or technical subject.

I can hunt kangaroos with a high powered rifle. You need a licence, or at least a lawless area, to do that.

... that is about all I can come up with.

OH! Also I created a child which is very manly I think as I proved that I have man organs.
teehee

Danoss

Danoss, confess ignorance on at least one manly or technical subject.

There are many areas where I know nothing or close to it, that's where you'll find me being completely silent. i.e. Cricket.

Square hairy leg

Fine hairy leg

Silly man there

No idea where these things are on the field, nor what they indicate. Sorry if I sound like I'm poking fun, I don't know what the positions are actually called, so I chose funny sounding ones that should be similar.

Rezbit

Hnnng come on.

Also that was such a great ep.

"I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad, I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad, I'm goin' down the road feelin' bad oh lordy, my internet done up and went away."

people in steam chat might know that iv been having trouble getting fo3 to work.
well finally i think its stable now and i have decided that it looks like a complete pos.
does anyone have any recomendations for mods to install that will make it look decent or play better.
alternatively who played it vanilla and who modded it? does modding those big open world atmosphere [bethesta] games ruin the experience in some way?
thoughts?

Jintor

I must say, I really enjoyed the book. It did pick up to a rather exciting finish as I was promised by one of you, was it Jintor?
I only read the first two books, bub.

Nearly asked a girl for her number but couldn't find her later in the night. Damn you, Dutch courage, why you so expensive to produce

Madrical

Banned
Thanks for the post Danoss, I'll do some more research with that information and have a look around.

My budget depends on what I like when I listen to it. Probably willing to spend up to $2.5k, but I'd rather stick around $1.5k. The speakers are indeed for my bedroom. The thing is so packed, which is why I've avoided buying speakers (I use headphones for my TV, record player and PC) but I really want a nice set.. not amazing quality quite yet, but still pretty damn good.

And I love everyone's reaction to Bose. I remember I posted in either this thread or another thread on Gaf asking if Bose was a recommended brand and I got torn a new one for even mentioning the name. Are they really that bad?

But thanks dude, I really appreciate it -- I'll look around! :)

Danoss

My budget depends on what I like when I listen to it. Probably willing to spend up to $2.5k, but I'd rather stick around $1.5k.

You will find something you'll fall in love with in that price range. It will be of the "amazing quality", I assure you.

And I love everyone's reaction to Bose. I remember I posted in either this thread or another thread on Gaf asking if Bose was a recommended brand and I got torn a new one for even mentioning the name. Are they really that bad?

They're not that bad a speaker really. The main problem is they are extremely overpriced for what they are. Quality wise, they belong in KMart, but because their marketing is so good, people are given the assumption that they're a performance brand.

Think along the lines of Jim Beam trying to market their bourbon in the $250+ price range. That's essentially what Bose does.

The joke line is this: "No highs, no lows? It's gotta be Bose!"

But thanks dude, I really appreciate it -- I'll look around! :)

My pleasure man, I look forward to hearing what you decide on. :)

Also, gave the feeling I need to qualify PC version is best statement. And not bring out down to a lol drm argument. First. Get to work.
I have no idea what this is saying.

Feelin' bad for Sam Wiggle
Old Wiggle is back in the money, must have turned on the water works. Was lolworthy reading the story about his A Current Affair appearance. Sam Wiggle was earning 200k which is pretty nice money but does pale in comparison to the millions they generate.

Omikron

I have no idea what this is saying.

Old Wiggle is back in the money, must have turned on the water works. Was lolworthy reading the story about his A Current Affair appearance. Sam Wiggle was earning 200k which is pretty nice money but does pale in comparison to the millions they generate.

Yesterday, I said PC version is best in just about every multi platform situation. Queue people (mostly Vince) pointing out flaws, mostly on drm.

Which is true, just not to the extent that he believes.

Top Bottom