• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Beer Deluxe know their beer, and were kind enough to tell me a beer I'd ordered was $30 before just going ahead and charging me. They'll also let you taste a tap beer before purchase if you ask.

tl;dr: Go there if you like good beer.

is there such a thing?
however i will admit the drinks consumed today were many times better than what i have previously had. that yellow stuff though had a kick to it i wasnt expecting.

Danoss

I only saw the bottle briefly but it was either a pint or a 750mL. I think the latter. Given that it's a bar I'm not at all surprised their markups result in prices like that, I just didn't feel like paying those prices.

Yeah, that's far too rich for my blood.

As I've mentioned before, the beer I drink is made at a local microbrewery; unpasteurised and preservative free. It's rich and flavoursome, with no ill effects felt the following day. Honestly a lot of the beer off the shelf tastes watered down and dull in comparison and costs a whole lot more. Depending on what I have made, the price varies, but what I usually have is just under $180 for 50L.

After being used to that, even buying a six-pack at the bottleo stings the wallet. I'm not looking down my nose at anyone by saying the above, but damn it's a nice option to have.

Omikron

Beer Deluxe know their beer, and were kind enough to tell me a beer I'd ordered was $30 before just going ahead and charging me. They'll also let you taste a tap beer before purchase if you ask.

tl;dr: Go there if you like good beer.

Yah, $30 is a lot but I guess that is what the place is for.

I nice bar that has a decent selection of beers is the Penny Blue Bar in the CBD, recommended.

Speaking of awesome beer bars there is a new one in brissie that's meant to be pretty good.

The scratch on park road. Apparently has a rotating range of boutique beers on tap.

Possible BrisGAF location?

Rezbit, we need to go storm the Kettle factory and demand they bring back the regular Chilli flavour.

Those fuckers have ruined all their flavours now.

Clipper

Kritz is the tas gaffer, not cookie. Chain complete?
Cookie was the Melbournite that attended SydGAF, but he technically hasn't attended MelbGAF, weakening the chain a tad.

The 5th works for me.

How do we go for organising a place to play at MQU if that is the desired venue? Do we need to book something somehow or do we just show up and there will surely be somewhere for us to go? As you can tell, I've never been to a Uni in my life, so I have no idea.

Hopefully the rest of SydGAF Board Gamers chime in about it soon.
When did MQU become a choice? I thought the only options we had were my place or UNSW. As for UNSW, I can just book a room in the building I work in. It's empty on weekends, and there shouldn't be an issue, provided Doncamatic doesn't act like his D&D character in real life and start killing innocent bystanders, tying up attractive women or destroying random stuff for no discernible reason... In any case, I bought a few foldable chairs the other day, so I have enough to seat people at my place now, although again given Donc's actions, perhaps I shouldn't be so trusting :p

5th is a no-go for me, family lunch
So is the 12th good? I'll leave it up to the other guys to decide if we do this as a 5 person thing or wait...

Omikron

Successful night of project work :)

AkPljv3CEAEw4XZ.png:large

Nearly time to wrap it up with completing save code and testing.

Danoss

When did MQU become a choice? I thought the only options we had were my place or UNSW.

I brought up MQU during location discussion a while back, you must've missed it. The reason it was discussed as an option was that it's a bit more central to everyone all over Sydney and the transport options are great for all involved (especially a poor sucker like me who lives all the way out west). Also, it saves me lugging these big-arse board game boxes all over the place, which is an enormous pain on the bus if it's raining and I can't take my motorcycle.

Image to give everyone an idea and mug included for size reference:

HrhNn.jpg

I obviously won't be bringing all of them, but even a couple of them are enough to make life at least a little difficult. Barrel-distortion isn't doing that image any favours either.

I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy to do it if I must, but I would like to avoid it if at all possible. That said, I understand someone's house is a bit more flexible in regards to noise and facilities, also it's clearly easier for a room to be booked at UNSW as opposed to MQU since Clipper works there.

As for UNSW, I can just book a room in the building I work in. It's empty on weekends, and there shouldn't be an issue, provided Doncamatic doesn't act like his D&D character in real life and start killing innocent bystanders, tying up attractive women or destroying random stuff for no discernible reason... In any case, I bought a few foldable chairs the other day, so I have enough to seat people at my place now, although again given Donc's actions, perhaps I shouldn't be so trusting :p

Speaking of which, if we get into RPing at some point, and I hope we do, I have no problems heading out to Clipper's or UNSW for that. Not much needed to lug around for that, thankfully. Though I am thinking of converting a room of the house into a game room, so that may also be a future possibility.

So is the 12th good? I'll leave it up to the other guys to decide if we do this as a 5 person thing or wait...

I'm currently free on the 12th and can happily lock it away.

We'll wait and see how everyone goes, but if anyone in particular consistently can't make it, then I think the event should proceed without them. We have to draw the line somewhere, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Rezbit

Rezbit, we need to go storm the Kettle factory and demand they bring back the regular Chilli flavour.

Those fuckers have ruined all their flavours now.

I know man, I know. Damn you for reminding me. Kettle Chilli RIP. At least my chip intake has decreased by about 90%.

They need to bring over the black pepper flavour from the UK, that is godly.

Think they might be different 'Kettle' brands? But yes that was god-tier chip too. Munched heaps of them while backpacking, picking up 2 for cheap at Tesco.

30 birthday celebrations were a success. Spent quality time with rich relatives which is a nice sign for the future. The little guy turned on the cute which helped.

Who is aniseed
The sexiest attendee of the first MelbGaf meetup of 2012. My vote goes to you good sir.

Successful night of project work :)

AkPljv3CEAEw4XZ.png:large

Nearly time to wrap it up with completing save code and testing.
Does it love cats yet???

72 is a pretty small number.
Totally aroused by this number right now. Hope to see it many more times on their scorecard next time we play.

WANT SO BAD. The initial pre-orders sold out so fast, TheHut had it for $90.

155862_detail.jpg

$170 from LOGS

Unique clamshell packaging containing the Final Fantasy XIII-2 game.
Composer selected soundtrack: CD with selection of music tracks from the game, specially chosen by the composers.
Artwork book "The Art of Final Fantasy XIII-2", featuring artwork from across the production.
6 collectable postcards, featuring high quality CG artwork of main characters in the game.
High definition leniticular artprint, showing an iconic image of the Lightning character.
Exclusive Final Fantasy XIII-2 T-shirt, never to be available elsewhere

hamchan

I'm buying FFXIII-2 purely because I've been a big FF fan all my life. I expect nothing good at all from the story after FFXIII but I do expect a decent battle system, graphics and music. Square Enix already has my money even though the game might be mediocre so no way I'm giving them extra money by buying their CE!

Clipper

I brought up MQU during location discussion a while back, you must've missed it. The reason it was discussed as an option was that it's a bit more central to everyone all over Sydney and the transport options are great for all involved (especially a poor sucker like me who lives all the way out west). Also, it saves me lugging these big-arse board game boxes all over the place, which is an enormous pain on the bus if it's raining and I can't take my motorcycle.
Ah, yeah, I went searching to find the list of confirmed names again and found your discussion with deek mentioning that now. However, it's looking like MQU is a no-go, unless somebody works there. The library is closed on Sundays and the room booking system seems to only be open to staff. Not even student clubs can book rooms without assistance, according to what I found on their webpage.

If you can come up with a more centralised location that we actually can legally use, I'm certainly happy to make my way out there. On that note, where does everyone live anyway? Here's the list of people who expressed interest and their known locations so far:

BanShunsaku: Dulwich Hill (Inner Western subs)
Clipper: Randwick (Eastern subs)
commanderdeek: Kensington (Eastern subs)
Danoss: Wentworthville (Western subs)
Doncamatic: ???
Jintor: Hornsby (Northern subs)
Rahk: ???

I'm currently free on the 12th and can happily lock it away.

We'll wait and see how everyone goes, but if anyone in particular consistently can't make it, then I think the event should proceed without them. We have to draw the line somewhere, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Yeah, I really should have locked down the 5th in a post beforehand, rather than just confirming it with most of you by offline means. Provided everyone else can make the 12th, let's make that the fixed date and then we'll see who bows out.

I'm buying FFXIII-2 purely because I've been a big FF fan all my life. I expect nothing good at all from the story after FFXIII but I do expect a decent battle system, graphics and music. Square Enix already has my money even though the game might be mediocre so no way I'm giving them extra money by buying their CE!

That was FF13 for me, I knew it would be horrible. I haven't even finished it yet. I enjoy the battle system but everything else is bleh.

At least 13-2 seems to be getting much better reviews.

r1chard

Really? Bastards, teasing bastards.

I know. Damn it was tasty. Unfortunately apparently my fellow Australian crisp purchasers have no taste :)

Also, curse you tvtorrents dot com for going down yesterday and making me trickle-torrent the latest Fringe from lesser trackers! When oh when will those stupid studios wake up and give us paid high-speed instant gratification downloading of all the contents?!

Prometheus looks insane, like MOTY easily.

Also, curse you tvtorrents dot com for going down yesterday and making me trickle-torrent the latest Fringe from lesser trackers! When oh when will those stupid studios wake up and give us paid high-speed instant gratification downloading of all the contents?!

Music industry still isn't moved over to it yet and they have made massive inroads over the years so I don't expect TV shows to move to a bandcamp like setup for a while unfortunately. Which is where we see instances like Downton Abbey getting pirated to Cuba and back because they don't release the damn thing in a timely manner.

Religion and politics draws in the viewers/readers/listeners. Controversy sells.
She is a good indication of people that Religion has fucked up. Although without religion she would be a cranky old bitch.
Also Tennis is in the air, once it leaves Australia she will get less attention.

Prometheus looks insane, like MOTY easily.

Music industry still isn't moved over to it yet and they have made massive inroads over the years so I don't expect TV shows to move to a bandcamp like setup for a while unfortunately. Which is where we see instances like Downton Abbey getting pirated to Cuba and back because they don't release the damn thing in a timely manner.

Religion and politics draws in the viewers/readers/listeners. Controversy sells.
She is a good indication of people that Religion has fucked up. Although without religion she would be a cranky old bitch.
Also Tennis is in the air, once it leaves Australia she will get less attention.

Has new Prometheus stuff come out? Beyond that first trailer? Because it looks so damn good. Hopefully it redeems the Alien franchise after the shit it's been dragged through since Aliens.

Maybe it's just me reading it from a non-believer's perspective, but the article does seem to have a tone of "Margaret Court is saying sexist bullshit again!" which is kind of surprising coming from the Herald Sun.

Hmmmm. Herald Sun clickers.
hearldsun2vf61.png

So my son has figured out how to climb onto the couch this morning.. Excellent.

Makes the mornings easy when you can pop some toast in and ask him to sit up on the couch quietly.

Spent a fair portion yesterday stopping the little guy trying to climb up on the racing callbox. He did not appreciate my parenting.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Batman AC finished. Another game off the backlog list.

I haven't really bothered with the side mission stuff. Most of it felt like a chore and not overly exciting or interesting. The same could be said for large parts of the game though.

Still enjoyable, Wasn't shit by any means.

Thanks for the link, Scorps.
No probs, found it a good read. Was wondering if she would do a write up since the original piece she did on Kotaku back when I read it.

Batman AC finished. Another game off the backlog list.

I haven't really bothered with the side mission stuff. Most of it felt like a choir and not overly exciting or interesting. The same could be said for large parts of the game though.

Still enjoyable, Wasn't shit by any means.
Yeah I ended up loving the side missions, I seem to always plow through them in any open world game with more plomp than the main quest, but once I was left with 300 odd irritating Riddler things I realigned to the storyline and hit the finish line. Really, really great game that maintains the polish even with the huge expansive is scope. I also felt that the fight system was hugely improved and aside from an over-abundance of gun wielding guards it was very well balanced. The battle towards the end of the game where you get every enemy thrown at you was a bit too big of a difficulty spike but was satisfying to beat after the 5th or 6th death.

At this point Rocksteady have shown their skills and they would be best to move on to a new IP or they would need to mix it up again for another Batman title, maybe an episodic series in the vein of a 12 comic run almost like an Uncharted title.

Just saw Take Shelter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/

if there is a movie that deserves 100 million dollar budget....
Loved it, very character driven. Deserved a 100 million marketing budget more than anything else. Thought it was well directed and acted.

Grug

They should rename Margaret Court Arena to "Twisted Old Fundamentalist Bigot Arena".

She really should shut her mouth.

Top Bottom